Destruction of the Endeavour

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
Despite a somewhat dissappointing last episode, AWE does have on of the most outstanding sequences of the last few years: the destrcution of the Endeavor with Beckett walking down the stairs. When I saw it in the theater I was already impressed. I've seen it over and over again, it's one most excellent sequence. Technically challenging and a seamless cut.

Is there any other POTC sequence that you feel can rival that bit?

PirateDiva
Yes that was great! My first thought on the destruction of the Endeavor while Beckett descends the stairs unharmed was that I was afraid ppl might find it too...cheesy, for the lack of a better word at the moment. But reading around forums n stuff I've read that ppl actually liked it and made me feel better about it! lol

It's not a full-on action sequence but everytime the Flying Dutchman breaks through the surface of the ocean I always get chills! I dont know why but I love that detail about the FD...i find it fasinating!

queeq
Originally posted by PirateDiva
Yes that was great! My first thought on the destruction of the Endeavor while Beckett descends the stairs unharmed was that I was afraid ppl might find it too...cheesy, for the lack of a better word at the moment. But reading around forums n stuff I've read that ppl actually liked it and made me feel better about it! lol

You should, tecnically quite an acheivement. It's a shot made several times at different speeds.. both in cranking and in dolly speed. Beckett's shot is faster, camera cranking wise, than the explosions. A major feat.

IheartPocky
I loved it. Not cheesy one bit. Tia's scene is cheesy.

willofthewisp
Yes, Beckett's death was beautifully filmed and fitting of his character. I do like the fact that his body falls into the EITC flag more so than the actual flames. I think it really spells out the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" theme that is Beckett.

PirateDiva
Agreed Tia's Scene was Cheesy!!

Oh dont get me wrong I loved Becketts death scene from the begining! I guess panic struck me after Tia/ Calypso's Scene that when I saw Becketts I was more worried about what everyone else would think! lol...But I loved it! It was quite befitting to his character especially after he said "It's just good business!" the look of defeat on Beckett's face was PRICELESS!!! lol

texgodiva2s
Absolute waste of a fabulous warship--exploding bannisters on the walk down from the quarterdeck....sorta said Hollywood to me--expression was priceless, pitiful--I'm witcha ImpPiDiva, I so love the unreal quality of the Dutchman breeching. Damn, gets me hot cos you know it's the bad guys. Better than the Jaws theme pre-shark.

queeq
Better? Can it beat that? Hehehehe

For me it'll rank high on best scenes ever. Interesting how it was technically a major challenge, yet it looks very simple, plain and small... to film the destruction of such a big ship with just medium and close shots, focussing entirely on one man. Good choice! For me it's the highlight of AWE... it's one of the very few real Verbinski scenes in AWE.

VioletEyesPop08
Majestic from what I can recall- You think it's better than say Johnny Depp's performance really?

Really, the only scenes I ever really repeated were Davy Jones' first scene and playing the organ.

willofthewisp
Certainly one of the more artistic sequences, queeq. It makes you wonder if we would have had a completely different movie on our hands if it was all filmed in a more loose, artistic style.

VioletEyesPop08
Keira Knightley basically made the show, like, already. drunk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.