Favorite Current Monthly Titles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nimbus006
Ok guys, this is pretty self explainatory...

Im looking for your top three favorite current monthly titles, and if you can please provide a short summary of why it's your favorite.

Purpose of this thread: I want to know what the members of KMC look for in a quality comic book. What's most important to YOU: Character development, plot, action, art , story etc...

Be Honest, everyone has different tastes, opinions, and likes/dislikes.

Ill do mine...

1. Batman: I love the complexity of this title. When it comes to comics, they're usually pretty straight forward, and not all that hard to understand. However, Batman is a little more complex and mind bending in it's plot, which makes it really fun to read. Batman also has deeper themes than most titles, and the character itself in IMO opinion is the most intriguing in all of comics.

2. Nova: Even though it's fairly new series, I find Nova to be extremely well written with incredible art. I love where they're going with the character, and see him almost as a Green Lantern for Marvel, but with more of a burden on his shoulders. It has great action, and I love the interaction between Richard and the Worldmind.

3. JLA- I don't know why, but Justice League is one of the books I forward to reading the most. I guess I've just always loved the concept of having all of my favorite heroes on one team. You never know which member is going to be the focus of each issue. I've also really enjoyed the storylines in this new JLA series. From Tornado's issues with his body, to the Grundy/Amazo dilemma, and now with the whole injustice League situation... I just think it's been a real fun title to read. Another important factor is the lineup which i have to say Im liking more and more every issue. Especially with Firestorm now a member. Finally, the art isn' to shabby either.

Honorable mentions: Thor, Superman, and Green Lantern.

llagrok
- Immortal Iron Fist
- Green Lantern Corps
- Green Lantern

'nuff said

nimbus006
Originally posted by llagrok
- Immortal Iron Fist
- Green Lantern Corps
- Green Lantern

'nuff said

Really?!!? I would of thought Thor was in your top 3 for sure.

Care to give a reason why you like them so much?

Newjak
Thor: Thor is back, and he is kicking @$$ and taking names. Putting everyone in their place from Ironman and the government to Genocidal maniacs.

Green Lantern(Kinda): Not much to say. A very well written Green Lantern Title is always and should always be in everyone's top 3.

And I really don't have money to get a third dur

llagrok
Thor's monthly?

I would put down Thor and Runaways as well, but they're not out every month are they? Seems more like every other month to me :/

nimbus006
Thor's monthly?

I would put down Thor and Runaways as well, but they're not out every month are they? Seems more like every other month to me :/

Yea, Thor's monthly.

You're so right though. Some months it's consecutive, then others they skip one, it's really frustrating.

nimbus006
Originally posted by Newjak
Thor: Thor is back, and he is kicking @$$ and taking names. Putting everyone in their place from Ironman and the government to Genocidal maniacs.

Green Lantern(Kinda): Not much to say. A very well written Green Lantern Title is always and should always be in everyone's top 3.

And I really don't have money to get a third dur

Both really good reads.

willRules
Captain America- Since Brubaker has been on the title I have yet to read a bad issue. it's just a consistently interesting read. Brubaker does the espionage well and makes even the cheapest of twists seem grand. Highly recommended. This title is always at the top of my pull list.

Green Lantern- This is brilliant, Geoff Johns = Superb writer. The Sinestro corps story line was one of the best story lines I have ever read. The only thing I don't like about it at the moment? Ivan Reiss isn't drawing it sad

Daredevil- Just such good read. Matt Murdock is at his most interesting when his life is down the pan and Brubaker does this soooo well.

There a few other titles I could mention but most of the stuff, i wait for the trades yes

tjcoady
Anything being written by Brubaker or Fraction.

Badabing
My list in alphabetical order.

Avengers Classic
Batman
Batman/Superman
Countdown
Fantastic Four
Green Lantern & Green Lantern Corps
Hulk
JLA
Spider-Man
Superman
Thor
Wolverine
X Men.

The list doesn't include multiple tie ins and minis.

guy222
GR
Red Hulk
X Men
Superman
GL

nimbus006
Originally posted by Badabing
My list in alphabetical order.

Batman/Superman

X Men.

How is Batman/Superman? It seems really interesting, never picked it up though.

Is it canon? Or is it kind of like an All-Star type thing?

Would that be regular X-men? Is that the one you like best? Why? Is it because thats your favorite line-up?

nimbus006
Originally posted by guy222

X Men

Which X-Men id this? Regular?

Why do you like this one the best? Lineup?

Endless Mike
Thor, GL, GLC, Countdown, Nova, Annihilation Conquest, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Booster Gold, etc.

nimbus006
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Annihilation Conquest

How is this?

Im trying to collect all four thus far, but my store is missing 1, 2, & 3. So I might just wait till paperback.

llagrok
Well then.

1. Runaways
2. Thor
3. GLC

Originally posted by nimbus006
How is this?

Im trying to collect all four thus far, but my store is missing 1, 2, & 3. So I might just wait till paperback.

It's surprisingly disappointing.

pr1983
My full list:

Superman
Action Comics
Uncanny X-Men (despite the excessive levels of shit most months)
X-Men (ditto)
JLA (benes' heavenly art, mcshittie's woeful writing)
JSA
Green Lantern
GLC
Flash
Thor
Initiative
Salvation Run
Green Arrow Black Canary
Superman Batman
Booster Gold
Countdown
Wonder Woman

probably left out a couple...

I'd count AS Superman and Astonishing X-Men if they actually came out monthly...

if i had to pick 3, it would be: Ast. X-Men, Green Lantern and Action Comics...

Originally posted by willRules
The only thing I don't like about it at the moment? Ivan Reiss isn't drawing it sad

QFT.

llagrok
PR, it's not "all my month titles" but FAVOURITE monthly titles.

Stop trying to turn this place into your blog uhuh

pr1983

bada did it... ha-son

and i did say 'if i could only pick three'

nimbus006

laughing You're absolutely right, although he did give his top 3.

nimbus006
Originally posted by pr1983
bada did it... ha-son

and i did say 'if i could only pick three'

How is Batman/Superman, cuz im thinking about picking that one up. I read both individual titles...

Do they tie in at all?

nimbus006
Well then.

1. Runaways
2. Thor
3. GLC

It's surprisingly disappointing.

So I've heard...

I'm just looking to get my yearly dosage of Ronan.

Is it worth it in that regard?

pr1983
How is Batman/Superman, cuz im thinking about picking that one up. I read both individual titles...

Do they tie in at all?

no, they're pretty seperate in general... its a nice read if you're into the characters, the current arc is about the two of them trying to get rid of all the kryptonite in the world...

llagrok
So I've heard...

I'm just looking to get my yearly dosage of Ronan.

Is it worth it in that regard?

I want to say yes, but....

It has plenty of horribly boring lesbian bitchin and new ridiculously lame Adam Warlock.

Rewmac
Countdown. It's awesome so far and I started to read FF4 again and of course Thor is on my fav list too. But Countdown is the number one yet.

willRules
Superman
Action Comics
Uncanny X-Men (despite the excessive levels of shit most months)
X-Men (ditto)
JLA (benes' heavenly art, mcshittie's woeful writing)
JSA
Green Lantern
GLC
Flash
Thor
Initiative
Salvation Run
Green Arrow Black Canary
Superman Batman
Booster Gold
Countdown
Wonder Woman

Some cool titles in here, I love Green Arrow and Black Canary so far, it's such a fun romp and Booster Gold is fantastic.

I haven't picked up the latest Thor, I'm painstakingly waiting for the first trade, is it any good so far?

I also noticed there isn't Cap in your list, for shame pr, it's, IMO, the best title out at the moment

pr1983
Some cool titles in here, I love Green Arrow and Black Canary so far, it's such a fun romp and Booster Gold is fantastic.

I haven't picked up the latest Thor, I'm painstakingly waiting for the first trade, is it any good so far?

I also noticed there isn't Cap in your list, for shame pr, it's, IMO, the best title out at the moment

thor is great, it really is.

i'll read cap when they bring him back... stick out tongue

my excuse for daredevil is that i hate the art, though i did read the last issue, and i realised just how long it had been since i read DD...

nimbus006

It has plenty of horribly boring lesbian bitchin and new ridiculously lame Adam Warlock.

Adam Warlock...lame?

Never thought i would see that day.

Anyway, maybe i'll just try to read it on an internet site so i dont waste my money.

nimbus006

my excuse for daredevil is that i hate the art, though i did read the last issue, and i realised just how long it had been since i read DD...

Lol... thats exacly why i don't read it either.

I think people underestimate how important art is to actually telling a story. Yes, the writing/plot is important, but the art is what makes us visualize whats going on, and if thats looks like crap it really takes away from books appeal.

willRules
thor is great, it really is.

i'll read cap when they bring him back... stick out tongue

I thought Coipel's art for Thor looked great, I'm so annoyed I haven't got the single issues, but the trade'll be worth it big grin

Daredevil is consistently good, it's never been my favourite read of all but it's enjoyable to watch Brubaker put Murdock through hell yes

As far Cap, haven't you heard the news? He's back with new costume and a new person underneath that mask, this is definitely the one to be reading. big grin

pr1983
Lol... thats exacly why i don't read it either.

I think people underestimate how important art can is to actually telling a story. Yes, the writing/plot is important, but the art is what makes us visualize whats going on, and if thats looks like crap it really takes away from books appeal.

yeah... sad and to think, i liked the frank miller stuff... biscuits

I thought Coipel's art for Thor looked great, I'm so annoyed I haven't got the single issues, but the trade'll be worth it big grin

Daredevil is consistently good, it's never been my favourite read of all but it's enjoyable to watch Brubaker put Murdock through hell yes

As far Cap, haven't you heard the news? He's back with new costume and a new person underneath that mask, this is definitely the one to be reading. big grin

i've heard the news, but unless its steve rogers, its just not good enough... uhuh

HueyFreeman

It has plenty of horribly boring lesbian bitchin and new ridiculously lame Adam Warlock. Oh I agree 100 percent. Conquest is tanking. The problem is theres no story. Its just cosmic heroes vs Ultron and the phalanx. Ultron has no plan, just assimilate everyone, I've heard that story before. Annihlus had a plan in annihilation, conquest is just "Heroes vs Phalanx" for about 4 issues now.

My monthly favorites now are

Thor
Gl
Simon Dark
Ultimate Spiderman
Spawn
Darkness
Evil Dead
Captain America

nimbus006
Here is an update on my recent reads

So i picked up a couple Superman/Batman paperbacks (Supergirl arc & another Darkseid arc) just to get a feel for the stories and writers... then I picked up the series on issue # 44 where Bats and Supes start collecting all the K-Nite on earth.

To make a long story short, Bats/Supes has a new montly subscriber to it's title.

Soljer
Immortal Iron Fist
Captain America
The Initiative
Thor
100 Bullets
Action Comics
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Astonishing X-Men
JSA

No particular order, except for the 'number one' spot which has to go to Danny Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.