The Last Word

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mindship
How many feel it is important to have the last word in a debate? Why is it important? Does it really make a difference?

How many feel that having the last word is irrelevant as long as you've stated your case?

chithappens
Face to face or telephone/ online forum (something not physical)?

This might make a slight difference in some answers.

Fishy
Originally posted by Mindship
How many feel it is important to have the last word in a debate? Why is it important? Does it really make a difference?

How many feel that having the last word is irrelevant as long as you've stated your case?

Depends, if somebody else agrees with you then the last word is irrelevant, if it doesn't end the debate or if you lost the debate then saying something else is important. Either to admit you lost the debate or otherwise to continue it. Although both are often quite useless.

Wålshy
sometimes, if the debate escalates into an argument and the same things keep getting said over and over, i would let the other person have the last word. but i dont think its that relevant

chithappens
At that point, the loudest person "wins"

queeq
I know some people who find it the most important thing in the world to have that last say. I won't mention any names. stick out tongue

Devil King
Originally posted by queeq
I know some people who find it the most important thing in the world to have that last say. I won't mention any names. stick out tongue

A person can't talk to themselves on the internet.

queeq
??? Meaning???

chithappens
You'd be surprised

Mindship
Originally posted by chithappens
Face to face or telephone/ online forum (something not physical)?

This might make a slight difference in some answers. For now, let's say with online debates.

chithappens
I tend to not worry about it.

On KMC, I have just left some stuff unsaid out of annoyance because of incredibly bias views. Other times we both agree and just refine our opinions. I have "lost" according to majority rule, but some opposing views and points help me rethink how I approach discussions later.

WrathfulDwarf
People who feel that they need to have the final word on anything aren't happy.

queeq
You'd be surprised

I'm sure I will.

Rogue Jedi

How many feel that having the last word is irrelevant as long as you've stated your case? Everyone here, on some level, likes to have the last word. anyone who says it isnt important to them is delusional, lying or is too ashamed to admit it.

inimalist
On a forum, possibly less so, but having the last word is one of the easiest ways to "win" a debate.

As far as how much I care about it, I normally try to leave threads when they become that type of pissing match.

queeq
Originally posted by inimalist
On a forum, possibly less so, but having the last word is one of the easiest ways to "win" a debate.

You have to be very persistent though. evil face

dadudemon
I voted that it is irrelevant.

Many times, both parties will know that they are right and it ends up in circles until someone gives up.

Other times, someone will just throw in the towel because it is too draining on their time. I have done this before and others have done it to me.

I have noticed that girls don't usually go through pages of debates. I think it is a male thing to debate for pages. (Pissing matches.)

I tend to not worry about it.

On KMC, I have just left some stuff unsaid out of annoyance because of incredibly bias views. Other times we both agree and just refine our opinions. I have "lost" according to majority rule, but some opposing views and points help me rethink how I approach discussions later.

That is one thing that I hate. Even if you are right, it doesn't matter if the group think is against you.

Here's an example. Someone said that they didn't go to college because they couldn't afford it. I asked if they were part Native American. They said yes. I told them that they might have qualified for several very nice scholarships if they had good grades in highschool. He disagreed and said it is very hard to qualify for a scholarship. I asked if he even tried to qualify for a scholarship and he said no. I told him that he is very wrong. I told him that all it takes is finding a bunch of scholarships and simply writing a nice essay. He said that I was lying. Other people agreed with him and said that it is too hard to get a scholarship. I told them that they can all claim to be right but that doesn't change the fact that they are ALL wrong. I told them that this girl I used to date graduated 20 out of her class but earned 8 scholarships because she did nothing but write essay after essay for well over 30 scholarship applications. She had a 27 on her ACT. USUALLY the scholarships start with a score of 28.

They told me that I am utterly stupid because I think that I am right when all of these people were wrong. They told me to open my eyes and to stop being so arrogant.

JUST because they all say your are wrong, doesn't mean you are wrong and they are right.

queeq
You should have delivered proof. wink

dadudemon
Originally posted by queeq
You should have delivered proof. wink

ewwwwww.

pwnt. sad

chillmeistergen
To be honest, I probably care more about having the last word when I'm on here. When debating in person, my views and opinions can often be brushed off with a comment like ''you're too young to understand'' while on here that doesn't really happen.

lord xyz
I know cases where people debate with full passion and then when cornered say it doesn't matter, it's just a debate on a forum.

If you don't care, why did you start one in the first place? Not only that, but yeah, all I've won is a debate, but that's more than what you've done.

"I think you should make gambling illegal."
"You shouldn't stop someone from doing something because you don't like it."
"You should."
"So I can stop you from doing what you like?"
"Okay fine, you win, but so what? All you won is a debate. No life."

Absolutely outrageous.

chithappens
One of the funnier things is posting a good post and it gets skipped over. You don't want to repost or be like "look @ me."

Those are such a lost cause

Mindship
One of the funnier things is posting a good post and it gets skipped over. You don't want to repost or be like "look @ me."
Those are such a lost cause laughing out loud
Yeah, I hate when that happens.
I've also had this happen: you post what you think is an innocuous little comment, and somebody gets all up and arms over it and starts a debate that you then feel you have to settle ("That'll teach 'em!"wink

chithappens
LOL, yea that always kinda funny. Sometimes I think people are just picking dumb fights

Quark_666
I suddenly feel like reviving the "stupid debate tactics" thread. I'm too lazy though. Anybody else wanna volunteer?

SelphieT

Eh, it doesn't really matter, as long as you get the point down.

But I do tend to enjoy the last word. Gives me a stupid sense of self satisfaction.

Quark_666
Originally posted by SelphieT
Eh, it doesn't really matter, as long as you get the point down.

But I do tend to enjoy the last word. Gives me a stupid sense of self satisfaction.

I totally share your view on the issue. Lol, I also like it when opponents repeat the same points over and over again just so they can have the last word...it's just too easy at that point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.