Teenage Negro Ninja Thrashers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soljer
Nods to HeroChat.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/682new_storyimage1636614_full.jpg

And then what happens?

Static Shock. laughing.

Endrict Nuul

czccxcd
Some comic fans are ****ing idiots.

Nods to Herochat.

Totally irrelevant I know.

Creshosk
I don't think he's serious, in fact I'm picking up on heavy sarcasm from him.

However he seems to act as if Black characters are the only ones that were set up with the lskateboard thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Guapo_%28comics%29

And in case he forgot Rocket Racer made his skateboard.

Mr. Slippyfist
Is that to McDuffie, or from McDuffie?

no expression

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Soljer
Nods to HeroChat.

And then what happens?

Static Shock. laughing.

Oh god. I watched the cartoon of that. It was really . . . subtle no expression

Creshosk
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
Is that to McDuffie, or from McDuffie?

no expression That's something I can't figure out either. The name is where the to usually is in a letter. but there's no other name of who this could be from. I'm not sure what point they're trying to make exactly...

Mr. Slippyfist
Originally posted by Creshosk
That's something I can't figure out either. The name is where the to usually is in a letter. but there's no other name of who this could be from. I'm not sure what point they're trying to make exactly... But, he's also got all the information about his letter in that spot...
If this is from McDuffie...

I don't know... it says it's from Marvel, so I'm looking for a page from that site.

Creshosk
But, he's also got all the information about his letter in that spot...
If this is from McDuffie...

I don't know... it says it's from Marvel, so I'm looking for a page from that site. Where does it say its from marvel? And what point would they be trying to make to McDuffie?

That's what gets me the most about this proposal that line of "Have I made my point?"

Mr. Slippyfist
Where does it say its from marvel? And what point would they be trying to make to McDuffie?

That's what gets me the most about this proposal that line of "Have I made my point?" At the bottom. It's from Marvel's website.

I don't know... intriguing piece of work though.

EDIT: YES!
http://www.marvel.com/blogs//entry/682

"At around this time, the Spidey character Rocket Racer had begun to make appearances again, and simultaneously Tom DeFalco had introduced Night Thrasher in the pages of THOR as part of the upcoming NEW WARRIORS team. Dwayne wasn't especially pleased that this is what amounted to the most prominent representation of black characters at the time, so as a means of protest, he wrote up and submitted the attached pitch for a team title, TEENAGE NEGRO NINJA THRASHERS. The pitch was a biting satire on how black characters continued to be depicted, and is wildly funny while at the same time completely getting its point across--I thought it was terribly well-written."

Symmetric Chaos
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/01/17/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-138/#more-14040

Creshosk
At the bottom. It's from Marvel's website.

I don't know... intriguing piece of work though.
Well that watermark indicates that it was originally being stored on their website.But seeing as how it sticks off the page it wasn't originally part of the letter.

Mr. Slippyfist
Well that watermark indicates that it was originally being stored on their website.But seeing as how it sticks off the page it wasn't originally part of the letter. EDIT. smile

Val
Trickster sure won't be reading this comic...

Creshosk
Ah. What's funny is that his parody title "Teenage Negro Ninja Thrashers" is a subtle allusion to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. of whom rode skateboards as well. Helping to show that the skateboard thing had more to do with capitalizing on the popularity of the device in the 80s rather than any thing actually racially based. While Rocket Racer was heavily tied into the skateboard thing, Night Trasher eventually developed into being a strong figure that was independant of the skateboard.

In short it was merely a ploy to make the new characters more popular nothing more and taking anything more than that is overthinking the problem.

WrathfulDwarf
I like the idea, but I hate the title "Negro".

Mr. Slippyfist
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I like the idea, but I hate the title "Negro". 'Teenage African American and/or African Canadian Ninja Thrashers'?

Master-Borg
I never realized skateboarding is popular among black people.

Soljer
I like how Sym seems to be the only one to catch the irony.

Symmetric Chaos
I like how Sym seems to be the only one to catch the irony.

Sweet Christmas!

SmurphSmash!
Irony would probably be more pronounced if we lived back in 1989, when this was written...

Mr. Slippyfist
Even then... Static Shock was still a wicked show back when I used to watch it... ermm

Symmetric Chaos
Even then... Static Shock was still a wicked show back when I used to watch it... ermm

Yeah it was fun, I always thought they came up with good powers. On the flip side it was terribly racist.

Mr. Slippyfist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yeah it was fun, I always thought they came up with good powers. On the flip side it was terribly racist. I know...
I think white nerd even didn't want to bring Static to his house, because of his father or something like that (because he was black).

Plus, they lived in the ghetto I believe, and they called the bad guys something stupid...

Shit, I need to watch that show some time. Also, I remember the Bats making an appearance.

---

Does anyone want to make a bet that Trick will make a racist cameo appearance in this thread?

Symmetric Chaos
I know...
I think white nerd even didn't want to bring Static to his house, because of his father or something like that (because he was black).

IIRC, his father was a drunken Irish racist shocklaugh

Plus, they lived in the ghetto I believe, and they called the bad guys something stupid...

Bang-babies.

I liked the pimp with giant feet. Never understood how that was much of a power compared to everybody else.

Mr. Slippyfist
IIRC, his father was a drunken Irish racist shocklaugh

Bang-babies.

I liked the pimp with giant feet. Never understood how that was much of a power compared to everybody else. Heh... damn Pr...

That's it!
sad

I liked the shadow guy. Don't really remember much of him (or much of the show really), but towards the end, I know he got owned a lot...

Soljer
Originally posted by SmurphSmash!
Irony would probably be more pronounced if we lived back in 1989, when this was written...

The irony is in the fact that McDuffie tried to spear Marvel as 'racist' for producing 'stereotypical' characters that didn't portray a race the way McDuffie believed they should be portrayed.

He then created a character of that race that followed almost every one of those stereotypes. no expression.

Symmetric Chaos
Heh... damn Pr...

shock

I liked the shadow guy. Don't really remember much of him (or much of the show really), but towards the end, I know he got owned a lot...

Yeah, having "bright light" as a severe weakness seemed to be something of a problem.

King Kandy
Yeah at first that guy was kicking ass all over the place, then he got wimpy.

SmurphSmash!
The irony is in the fact that McDuffie tried to spear Marvel as 'racist' for producing 'stereotypical' characters that didn't portray a race the way McDuffie believed they should be portrayed.

He then created a character of that race that followed almost every one of those stereotypes. no expression. Oh, well, yeah, but... ahem... stuff.

Totally missed the bit about Static Shock. Never knew McDuffie had a hand in all of that.

Oh well, then, lulz...

Disappear
In short it was merely a ploy to make the new characters more popular nothing more and taking anything more than that is overthinking the problem.

i think mcduffie was upset about the fact that, not only were the various new characters being typecast into an inaccurate stereotype, but they were all given the same "boost in popularity" gimmick in order to make them appealing. as if a black character could not exist properly in the marvel universe without the aid of the hip, teen accessory; the skateboard.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Disappear
i think mcduffie was upset about the fact that, not only were the various new characters being typecast into an inaccurate stereotype, but they were all given the same "boost in popularity" gimmick in order to make them appealing. as if a black character could not exist properly in the marvel universe without the aid of the hip, teen accessory; the skateboard. Yes, because they're black they have to have help and it has nothing to do with the fact they're new characters. Some people are idiots that are too hung up on inconsequential things like skin color. If they had been white or hispanic would he have raised a fuss?

And I never knew that McDuffie had a hand in Static Shock. That's funny and shows that I'm right about him being an idiot for getting upset about the way the new characters were portrayed.

grey fox
Jive talking - Check
Fanservice - Check
TMNT references - Check
Usage of the word Negro (and less Prominently 'Negress') - Check

Looks like we have an awesome comic on the way !

:dur:

Creshosk
Originally posted by grey fox
Jive talking - Check
Fanservice - Check
TMNT references - Check
Usage of the word Negro (and less Prominently 'Negress') - Check

Looks like we have an awesome comic on the way !

:dur:

I could just imagine a converstaion with him.

"And don't forget to include fanservice!"
"Are you saying they need fanservice cause they're black and the comic wouldn't urvive without it?"
"No, you idiot, fanservice is a universal appeal and adds appeal to any fan who likes fanservice."
"Are you calling me an idiot cause I'm black?"
"No I'm calling you an idiot cause you're not thinking."
"Are you saying black people don't think?"

Etc... then he turns around and adds the fanservice anyway... makes you wonder how a person who's an ******* like that keeps getting work.

Symmetric Chaos
"And don't forget to include fanservice!"
"Are you saying they need fanservice cause they're black and the comic wouldn't urvive without it?"
"No, you idiot, fanservice is a universal appeal and adds appeal to any fan who likes fanservice."
"Are you calling me an idiot cause I'm black?"
"No I'm calling you an idiot cause you're not thinking."
"Are you saying black people don't think?"

laughing

Proflied

Capt Spaulding
Originally posted by Tricksterpriest
They probably would have been more powerful than the superior whites! laughing

barker

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Capt Spaulding
barker

Racism: OK
Mocking Trickster: OK
Emoticon: OK
Changing my name to Trickster's: mad

Capt Spaulding
Racism: OK
Mocking Trickster: OK
Emoticon: OK
Changing my name to Trickster's: mad

laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.