Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mairuzu
it looks like kristin kreuk will play chun li in the new street figher movie in 2009

i think she looks good for the role but her body is a bit too thin, hopefully she'll put on weight.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/Marth18/untitled-1.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/deathangel57/Chun-Li_2.jpg

they look similar to me stick out tongue

Rajendra
this is the most exciting movie to see, more action and fighting scenes are here plus the visual effects.

JediSamuraiMRB
Heres hoping Kristen Kreuk will train in the martial arts and do some if not all her own stunts. I also hope that this will have a good story.

Mairuzu
Cross your fingers stick out tongue

super pr*xy
finally... a street fighter movie. this will undoubtedly surpass van damme's.

Blax_Hydralisk
Legand of Chun-Li?

I don't care about Chun-Li. When I think Street Fighter I don't think Chun-Li. I think hadoukens and shoryukens and tiger uppercuts.

Damn it.

Mairuzu
Im sure they'll be in it

Blax_Hydralisk
Yeah but I can see being like Van Damms version. The movie should be about them. It shouldn't focus on some secondary character and just have them in it.

Mairuzu
Ryu onry! ha-son

Aizen
This movie is only Chun Li related a freakin disaster like the DOA movie, bravo America, bravo

Mairuzu
Because you've seen the movie... right?

Blax_Hydralisk
Yeah, we suck.

Mairuzu
Oh well

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Legand of Chun-Li?

I don't care about Chun-Li. When I think Street Fighter I don't think Chun-Li. I think hadoukens and shoryukens and tiger uppercuts.

Damn it.

QFT.

I wanna see a movie about Ryu and Ken.

Heck, take the anime of Street Fighter II, cast it with cool people and film that.

That would be awesome, actually. stick out tongue

This may be an ok film, but the best way to make this work is to tell the story of all the original characters. Those are the ones that hit it big with the mainstream people and who'd make the best story. (see the SF2 anime.)

FistOfThe North
Chung Li, wth?

I mean she's a good fighter; even picked her alot. (loved her "spinning bird kick!"wink

But if anything, Street Fighter should be about Ryu. To me it's always been about Ryu. He was even Capcoms' logo for a while. (with just his upperback facing you, while slightly glancing back)

Kristin should still play Chun Li, though, hehe.

They should make the movie similar to the style of house of flying daggers and crouching tiger /hidden dragon.

Hope it's better than van dammes' version. But somehow i feel it'll be like another mortal kombat. The quality and everything. Like something that should come out on dvd.

it'll be interesting, the unraveling.

Aizen
They revealed that the movie will be only about her, I mean comeone WTF is that, for the Gods sake we have Ryu, Ken and Akuma I mean that movie would be amazing if the cast was right and with decent script, meh Hollywood will do another great job <.<

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by super pr*xy
finally... a street fighter movie. this will undoubtedly surpass van damme's. thats not saying much. laughing out loud

regina414
Kristin Kreuk needs to buff up. Chun-Li has large thighs.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by regina414
Kristin Kreuk needs to buff up. Chun-Li has large thighs.

2 words. CGI & prosthetics

Besides, van damme was way smaller then Guile, whom was rather buff. v.d. was just leaner.

WrathfulDwarf
Very good choice. Kristin looks perfect for the role of Li.

Mairuzu
agreed

FistOfThe North
hey they used prosthetics for the Juggernaut in xmen3 and it looked fine to me.

Mairuzu
he had a lot of armor to cover it didnt he?

FistOfThe North
not really. you could still see it in his exposed abs and his arms. it didn't fool me but i didn't complain about the look either. It look good enough.

Mairuzu
Ah.. yea, i havent seen the movie in a while

regina414
This looks promising to me. Wanna see Kristin in that Chun-Li costume.

Mairuzu
biscuits yea

Yoshi Paradise
There were some more castings for this movie.

Michael Clark Duncan as Balrog:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/Dunkenkingpin.png/220px-Dunkenkingpin.pnghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1d/Balrog.jpg/200px-Balrog.jpg

Rick Yune as Gen:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/Rickyune.jpg/220px-Rickyune.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/GenSFA.jpg/150px-GenSFA.jpg

Chris Klein as Nash(Charlie):
http://www.geocities.com/blondiee12482/6.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/CharlieNash-A2.jpg/250px-CharlieNash-A2.jpg

regina414
I haven't heard anything about Chris Klein for quite some time...

Rajendra
hey!is that with Chris Klein?I love to see this...

Micheal_Myers
Chun Li!? They ****ed it already. Ryu, Ken?

faithxp
What was happen with Ryu and Ken, do they not appear on this movie.,

Yoshi Paradise
I'm okay with Chun-Li being the main character since she's a popular character in the Street Fighter franchise.

happy I would be extremely happy if Sakura's in this movie, too.

jinzin
Hey, I just got done watching a few clips from this movie and I have to say that this shit look whack as ****. Terrible stuff.

I have a friend a few timezones away who just watched the midnight showing and he thinks this is worse than the Van Damn version. From what I've seen so far I have to agree. Any thoughts?

KingD19
1st off, let me say, Jinzin, can you help me with a banner? I've never seen Shredder's personal guard looking that cool.

As for the movie, I have no idea how it's going to go, but it's got Micheal Clarke Duncan as Balrog, Taboo as Vega(Even though he's like a ninja instead of a matador), and Kristin Kreuk as Chun-Li(She's HAWT!!!) So I'm going to at least check it out.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You guys are cute. Bum each other?

KingD19
Uhhhhh, no? Are you calling me gay?

jinXed by JaNx
laughing out loud

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by KingD19
Uhhhhh, no? Are you calling me gay?

I'm not here to judge you. I'm just trying to help facilitate your loving as you seem to have found a mate.

Go wild, but be safe.

Mairuzu
1 year later...

Mairuzu
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=477874&pagenumber=2

hoe

BruceSkywalker
this was total shiite

KingD19
Well, that's all well and good, except I'm not gay.

jinzin
Originally posted by KingD19
1st off, let me say, Jinzin, can you help me with a banner? I've never seen Shredder's personal guard looking that cool.
Do you mean for a sig or something?
What would you need help with?

And yeah, the Foot Elite are badass!

jinzin
Okay, so this review's gonna have quite a few spoilers.... so while I don't think I or anyone else for that matter can actually "ruin" this film for anyone, if you don't want to read these spoilers then please move onto the next reply in the thread.

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li:

Twenty minutes after this film had concluded I found myself driving back home trying to carry on a conversation with a friend. Talking about everything from the zoo, to ex-lovers I couldn't deviate from the one thought that kept snaking through my mind.... "God that was an awful movie."

Basically this movie's about Chun Li in her quest to become homeless and fight villains with the audacity to dream of slum domination. Yup, no world conquests for these guys, apparently buying up cheap property's what world class terrorist organizations like Shadowlaou are up to these days... I mean I knew the economy was in bad shape, but really?
Oh! And Chun Li learns how to shoot noisy light balls from her hands! eek!.... No not fireballs, which might actually.. I dunno... EXPLODE, or do damage of some sort, but light balls, which push enemies off high points to their doom!
What does that have to do with the mostly realistically interpreted plot? Your guess is a good as mine because it's the only Chi based attack in the movie carrying on without reason, explanation or even an antithetical power like Bison's psycho power... which took a back seat to make way for his movie abilities which consist of making tiger noises with punches and using kicks which have a delayed effect by 2 seconds.... CAHRAZY I know.

The only thing that was worse than the overall plot was the casting choice and character representations. Bleh!
We've got the title character Chun Li. Kristin Kreuk might be hot, she might be talented but for all the things she is, she's not Chun Li. She's not even Asian, which one would be inclined to think is a bit of a big deal when dealing with a character like chun li. And while it would have been nice to see Kreuk pumped up for the role all we see instead is horrible horrible, HORRIBLE looking shoes..... constantly.
Charlie Nash, who isn't military, isn't blond and dorky looking, and isn't even a fighter in the film. Instead we get a greasy looking Chris Klein with 12 o'clock shadow and a receding hairline with a style akin to the Da Vince Code who's more interested in his partner than getting anywhere in his investigation.
Gen played by Mortal Kombat's Robin Shao who like Kreuk (while talented), simply doesn't fit his role very well as that of a near ancient grandmaster type.
Bison played by Neal McDonough, who...... *sigh*..... Let's put it like this: if you took everything Bison was (A communistic, military looking megalomaniac leader of a terrorist organization, obsessed with world domination, street fighters, his own Psycho Power and the technology to enhanced it and HUGE).... and..... completely stripped him of it, you would have Neal McDonough's Bison, a small, over the hill looking, business suit wearing white guy with a beard, "unique" punching bags, and a headquarters full of Humvees... Yikes....
And apparently they thought that was an effective way to go with the characters because Vega followed in suite, as the only things that even remotely link him to his game/manga counterpart were his mask and claws. Rather than being a Spanish bull fighter with a man-gorgeous face and a massive body, we get the Black Eyed Peas' Taboo dressed in ninja garb... hmmmm ooookay? I can't really comment on Taboo's performance because frankly the script doesn't go into his character development whatsoever, and how could they? As he's decimated 20 seconds into fighting the title character. He's a badguy, he has claws, he has a mask, and that's enough. Or at least I'm guessing that's what they were thinking, assuming they WERE thinking.
Then we have Micheal Clarke Duncan's role as Balrog.... Sorry but MCD just doesn't come off to me as a street thug Mike Tyson type. He has far too commanding a presence for such a role. To be honest, with a few inches cut from his waist line and some kickboxing training he would have made a much better Sagat... Oh wait! That's right this movie doesn't have all the cool iconic SF characters. Doh! Which.......

WTF?!?!

How does this movie NOT have Ryu, NOT have Ken, NOT have Guile?! Some of the most well regarded, recognizable, and interesting characters in the series got completely bypassed. They thought it was a bad idea to include these characters but a GOOD idea to involve the whole Rose/Bison's soul plot line which has ALWAYS been bizarre?

At first I thought that this might be some sort of prelude to more cinematic Street Fighter adventures that the audience might actually WANT to see which would bring these aforementioned characters to the forefront, but now I don't even know about that. Balrog got a tube stuck in his chest and was frozen solid, Bison had his head turned completely 180 degrees.... I half expected FATALITY to be herd roaring over the soundtrack, and forgot I was actually watching a Street Fighter movie. It's a good thing they had a reminder of that as Gen shows up at Chun Li's with some Kinko's flyer from 1991 advertising the SF tournament and briefly mentions Ryu..... Yep, the only reference to the main character of the real SF story... and they pronounced his name wrong... (He's Japanese not a loaf of bread!)

All and all, this is about as bad as any made for Sci-fi channel action/horror flick and only half as interesting. With all their "re-envisioning" I almost fail to see why they related this to the Street Fighter title whatsoever. Of course, if they hadn't, I suppose, they would have lost their single sell-able premise.

The worse part about it IMO is the fact that this is really going to hurt the brand on Clarke Duncan and Mcdonough who I think are great actors.
It also doesn't lend favors to Kreuk or Taboo, who could have not only had some decent breakthrough movie performances but one of the most badass, hardcore slugfests in movie history (SF the animated movie Chunvs.Vega anyone?), but instead got handed this.
Chris Kline? Meh, he should have stayed doing American Pie movies or chick flicks, he's not an action star.

It's also frustrating because I KNOW there have been better SF screenplays out there, better fanfics too, and quite frankly, I could come up with a better plot than this in 5 minutes, though that's no great feat.
The Van Damme movie was fast paced, over the top, and ridiculous, but at least it knew what it was enough to make fun of itself a bit. This movie takes it self seriously and thinks it's doing a good job.

This is 2 hours and 20 bucks I won't get back so I'll just say this, It's not really worth going to see at the theatre; might wanna wait til it hits redbox on one of those nights that you've simply seen all the other movies in the machine you care to see. If you need to scratch that Street Fighter itch, the animated movie would have you better off, or at the very least getting a few beers and watching the old live action flick which IMO was far more entertaining.

If you DO go into see this.... where your expectations are concerned? Aim LOW.

Mairuzu
shes half chinese

Raoul
Originally posted by jinzin
Okay, so this review's gonna have quite a few spoilers.... so while I don't think I or anyone else for that matter can actually "ruin" this film for anyone, if you don't want to read these spoilers then please move onto the next reply in the thread.

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li:

Twenty minutes after this film had concluded I found myself driving back home trying to carry on a conversation with a friend. Talking about everything from the zoo, to ex-lovers I couldn't deviate from the one thought that kept snaking through my mind.... "God that was an awful movie."

Basically this movie's about Chun Li in her quest to become homeless and fight villains with the audacity to dream of slum domination. Yup, no world conquests for these guys, apparently buying up cheap property's what world class terrorist organizations like Shadowlaou are up to these days... I mean I knew the economy was in bad shape, but really?
Oh! And Chun Li learns how to shoot noisy light balls from her hands! eek!.... No not fireballs, which might actually.. I dunno... EXPLODE, or do damage of some sort, but light balls, which push enemies off high points to their doom!
What does that have to do with the mostly realistically interpreted plot? Your guess is a good as mine because it's the only Chi based attack in the movie carrying on without reason, explanation or even an antithetical power like Bison's psycho power... which took a back seat to make way for his movie abilities which consist of making tiger noises with punches and using kicks which have a delayed effect by 2 seconds.... CAHRAZY I know.

The only thing that was worse than the overall plot was the casting choice and character representations. Bleh!
We've got the title character Chun Li. Kristin Kreuk might be hot, she might be talented but for all the things she is, she's not Chun Li. She's not even Asian, which one would be inclined to think is a bit of a big deal when dealing with a character like chun li. And while it would have been nice to see Kreuk pumped up for the role all we see instead is horrible horrible, HORRIBLE looking shoes..... constantly.
Charlie Nash, who isn't military, isn't blond and dorky looking, and isn't even a fighter in the film. Instead we get a greasy looking Chris Klein with 12 o'clock shadow and a receding hairline with a style akin to the Da Vince Code who's more interested in his partner than getting anywhere in his investigation.
Gen played by Mortal Kombat's Robin Shao who like Kreuk (while talented), simply doesn't fit his role very well as that of a near ancient grandmaster type.
Bison played by Neal McDonough, who...... *sigh*..... Let's put it like this: if you took everything Bison was (A communistic, military looking megalomaniac leader of a terrorist organization, obsessed with world domination, street fighters, his own Psycho Power and the technology to enhanced it and HUGE).... and..... completely stripped him of it, you would have Neal McDonough's Bison, a small, over the hill looking, business suit wearing white guy with a beard, "unique" punching bags, and a headquarters full of Humvees... Yikes....
And apparently they thought that was an effective way to go with the characters because Vega followed in suite, as the only things that even remotely link him to his game/manga counterpart were his mask and claws. Rather than being a Spanish bull fighter with a man-gorgeous face and a massive body, we get the Black Eyed Peas' Taboo dressed in ninja garb... hmmmm ooookay? I can't really comment on Taboo's performance because frankly the script doesn't go into his character development whatsoever, and how could they? As he's decimated 20 seconds into fighting the title character. He's a badguy, he has claws, he has a mask, and that's enough. Or at least I'm guessing that's what they were thinking, assuming they WERE thinking.
Then we have Micheal Clarke Duncan's role as Balrog.... Sorry but MCD just doesn't come off to me as a street thug Mike Tyson type. He has far too commanding a presence for such a role. To be honest, with a few inches cut from his waist line and some kickboxing training he would have made a much better Sagat... Oh wait! That's right this movie doesn't have all the cool iconic SF characters. Doh! Which.......

WTF?!?!

How does this movie NOT have Ryu, NOT have Ken, NOT have Guile?! Some of the most well regarded, recognizable, and interesting characters in the series got completely bypassed. They thought it was a bad idea to include these characters but a GOOD idea to involve the whole Rose/Bison's soul plot line which has ALWAYS been bizarre?

At first I thought that this might be some sort of prelude to more cinematic Street Fighter adventures that the audience might actually WANT to see which would bring these aforementioned characters to the forefront, but now I don't even know about that. Balrog got a tube stuck in his chest and was frozen solid, Bison had his head turned completely 180 degrees.... I half expected FATALITY to be herd roaring over the soundtrack, and forgot I was actually watching a Street Fighter movie. It's a good thing they had a reminder of that as Gen shows up at Chun Li's with some Kinko's flyer from 1991 advertising the SF tournament and briefly mentions Ryu..... Yep, the only reference to the main character of the real SF story... and they pronounced his name wrong... (He's Japanese not a loaf of bread!)

All and all, this is about as bad as any made for Sci-fi channel action/horror flick and only half as interesting. With all their "re-envisioning" I almost fail to see why they related this to the Street Fighter title whatsoever. Of course, if they hadn't, I suppose, they would have lost their single sell-able premise.

The worse part about it IMO is the fact that this is really going to hurt the brand on Clarke Duncan and Mcdonough who I think are great actors.
It also doesn't lend favors to Kreuk or Taboo, who could have not only had some decent breakthrough movie performances but one of the most badass, hardcore slugfests in movie history (SF the animated movie Chunvs.Vega anyone?), but instead got handed this.
Chris Kline? Meh, he should have stayed doing American Pie movies or chick flicks, he's not an action star.

It's also frustrating because I KNOW there have been better SF screenplays out there, better fanfics too, and quite frankly, I could come up with a better plot than this in 5 minutes, though that's no great feat.
The Van Damme movie was fast paced, over the top, and ridiculous, but at least it knew what it was enough to make fun of itself a bit. This movie takes it self seriously and thinks it's doing a good job.

This is 2 hours and 20 bucks I won't get back so I'll just say this, It's not really worth going to see at the theatre; might wanna wait til it hits redbox on one of those nights that you've simply seen all the other movies in the machine you care to see. If you need to scratch that Street Fighter itch, the animated movie would have you better off, or at the very least getting a few beers and watching the old live action flick which IMO was far more entertaining.

If you DO go into see this.... where your expectations are concerned? Aim LOW.

dang. and yet, my love of street fighter demands i watch it... sad

Originally posted by Mairuzu
shes half chinese

she doesn't really look THAT asian, though, to be fair...

mr.smiley
I think when it comes to Street Fighter, if you're making a movie and try to ground these characters too much in reality you're really just missing the point.

To me you could pull off Street Fighter just like it is as a game, but just never be apologetic about it.
I mean make it a mix of Sin City and any old school Kung Fu movie and I think you'll end up with a better film than we have seen done before.

Maybe that sounds crazy, but hey it can't get much worse can it?

super pr*xy
i just saw this last night. on the way out, i just realized that this was a bad movie. the acting was horrid. chris klein was just over-acting the whole time. he was the worst. kistin was a bow-legged freak walking around bangkok. i always wondered what the f*ck bison was growling about. and the accent... what was up with the accent. this was an upset considering the rich heritage of the street fighter franchise. next time, if there's gonna be any, make a street fighter movie with more interesting characters like ryu, ken or guille. at least the van damme movie had all the reconazible characters.

Raoul
watching this now. that is one of the worst irish accents i have ever seen. seems hollywood hasn't gotten past its 'into the west' phase yet.

FistOfThe North
Me and my girl are gonna go watch this in an hour.

I didn't read any reviews on it but i hope it's least better than the 1st SF movie..I kinda like Kirsten but not for the chun li role. she's too...little.

But all in all i'm actually looking very foward to seeing this movie.

I'll be back with a review afterwards.

Toku King
Wasted potential.

mr.smiley
imo, the first film was much better.
Sure the first movie didn't do the franchise the justice it should have,but at least it was entertaining and it contained damn near every character from the game.

If their going to do another Street Fighter movie I think it needs to revolve around Ken,Ryu, and Akuma.

FistOfThe North
saw it, didn't like it.

a blonde bison as a realtor?

and vega looked ugly with a huge nose (isn't he supose to be handsome nacassist?) and his mask was too big. he looked liked a native american navajo cherokke more than he did a spaniard, which he is.

chun li's spinning bird kick was the gayest, as i knew it would've been.

the only part i liked was the mention of ryu and the "sf" touney at the end and maybe what's to come.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by jinzin

Thats all I needed to know. I aint watching that s**t. Them along with Chun Li ARE Street Fighter. I aint bothering with this until they show it on basic cable.

linnping
Hi, I'm new here.

Last week, I got the movie coupon buy 1 free 1. I plan to see it with my boyfriend. I haven't seen the 1st SF movie.

Is it a good movie? I read the review but I also would like to know more idea about this movie too.

Thanks

The Nuul
This is total shit.

deathbycorn
You people just don't know what a campy movie is.

This movie is bad and knows it. Its b-grade. What were you expecting?

I thought it was pretty fun, it never pretended to be more serious than it was.

Sado22
they can't get an asian woman who can play chunli because asian women are...

and this movie was going to suck. how can people actually fool themselves into thinking that it was gong to be good? the only question there was to it was this:
will it suck as much as the last street fighter

and it actually did. at least the van dam flick did something to try to (remotely) resemble the game it was basing itself on.

~Sado

sheila143
Looking really cool,also perfect choice of the artists,not yet watched it,i think I should watch it

K.Diddy
beer I hired this last night,I will give my thoughts soon..

K.Diddy
beer Now keep in mind,I hired this movie with extremely little expectations (Can you blame me?) but to be fair,yes,this is a generally bad movie....but an entertaining one.The main character held it together decently,and there were some decent Fight scenes.even the ''teaser'' ending was brilliant.This is a movie I do recommend,for a satarday night beer session.As long as you expect very little,you will not be dissapointed.The critics and everyone else have been way to harsh on this movie.All,in all,I watched it,enjoyed it for what it was,but will not see it again.

marwash22
legend of Chun-Li was a decent flick, the only thing that really kept it from being exceptionally enjoyable was...

5VjdE9Y8VQA

Jeebus, he's a horrible actor.

juli888
Film the street fighter - very much is pleasant to me, in my taste.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.