Oscar Nominations 2008

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sithsaber408
Surprised that there isn't already a thread on this! Oscars are this Sunday night.

Here they are:

BEST PICTURE

Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

BEST ACTOR

George Clooney in 'Michael Clayton'
Daniel Day-Lewis in 'There Will Be Blood'
Johnny Depp in 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'
Tommy Lee Jones in 'In the Valley of Elah'
Viggo Mortensen in 'Eastern Promises'

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett in 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age'
Julie Christie in 'Away From Her'
Marion Cotillard in 'La Vie En Rose'
Laura Linney in 'The Savages'
Ellen Page in 'Juno'

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Casey Affleck in 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford'
Javier Bardem in 'No Country for Old Men'
Philip Seymour Hoffman in 'Charlie Wilson's War'
Hal Holbrook in 'Into the Wild'
Tom Wilkinson in 'Michael Clayton'

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett in 'I'm Not There'
Ruby Dee in 'American Gangster'
Saoirse Ronan in 'Atonement'
Amy Ryan in 'Gone Baby Gone'
Tilda Swinton in 'Michael Clayton'

BEST DIRECTOR

Paul Thomas Anderson 'There Will Be Blood'
Joel and Ethan Coen 'No Country for Old Men'
Tony Gilroy 'Michael Clayton'
Jason Reitman 'Juno'
Julian Schnabel 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'

Full list of other nominations: http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2008/nominees

I didn't see too many of these films this year, though I probably need to catch There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men to see what the big fuss is.

My picks: Viggo Mortenson for Best Actor. Loved his portrayal of Nicholai, the driver/hitman/ undercover operative in the Russian mafia.
Casey Affleck for Best Supporting, though he won't get it. I think he's due an Oscar, he really stepped up this year with the Jesse James movie and his first starring role in Gone Baby Gone (which is EXCELLENT, btw) and then even though it'll go to Cate Blanchett, I say Amy Ryan from Gone Baby Gone. Her degenerate, looser/boozer mom who gets put into a crisis situation was so real, so spot on.

Well enough of me, what say you?

MildPossession
Marion Cotillard needs to win Best Actress, would love to see her win it.

I agree with Gone Baby Gone, good film.

sithsaber408
I also REALLY liked 3:10 to Yuma, We Own the Night, and American Gangster which were shut out or largely ignored for any major awards.

Those 3 and Gone Baby Gone were better than that Clooney 'Michael Clayton' nonsense.

MildPossession
Well I'm glad American Gangster was not big in the awards, nothing special about the film imo, it's good but not WOW, same for The Departed last year or the year before, can't remember. I haven't seen the other two you mentioned, so can't say.

Röland
The only two Best Pictures I saw were No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. I liked both of them a lot but I'd like to see There Will Be Blood win.

I agree with Sith and I'd like to see Viggo win Best Actor, I think he did a tremendous job in Eastern Promises.

WrathfulDwarf
Same here...I have to see No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. I heard Juno is plain overrated and overhyped. So those two things always keep me away from films.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by MildPossession
Marion Cotillard needs to win Best Actress, would love to see her win it.

I agree with Gone Baby Gone, good film.

I love her work. I hope she wins as well

MildPossession
Juno is a wonderful film. Would be nice to see it win something, but there are still other films I would rather see win certain awards over it.

queeq
I hope the Coens cash in big time. It's long overdue.

Darth Martin
Where is American Gangster for Director, Actor, and Picture?

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Same here...I have to see No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. I heard Juno is plain overrated and overhyped. So those two things always keep me away from films.

Juno IS extremely overrated.

The fact that it is even nominated for an Oscar makes me lose all respect for whoever chooses the nominations. There were so many more films that were better than Juno.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen There Will Be Blood, so with that being said, I'd like to see the Coens pick up some awards this year.

BackFire
Best picture will go to No Country

Best Actor will go to Daniel Day Lewis

Best Actress, I dunno. Probably Ellen Page even though the character has already annoyed me just from trailers, I've not seen the movie.

Best Supporting Actor will go to Javier Bardem

Best supporting actress should go to Amy Ryan. But who knows.

Director will go to the Coens.

Original screenplay will go to the stripper who writes silly dialogue.

Coens will probably get adapted screenplay.

exanda kane
Saoirse Ronan should win for Atonement as Supporting Actress. Day-Lewis is a bit of a runaway winner. His only real contender is Viggo Mortensen, and considering Nickolai had no way near as much screentime to be as effective as Daniel Plainview, Daniel Day-Lewis kind of has it in the bag.

I'd like Ellen Page to win for best actress; was just a great character at the end of the day, although all the characters in Juno were well drawn out (Even George Michael).

Again, I'd like Atonement to win for cinematography, even if the Dunkirk scene takes alot of praise away from the rest of the film, which was also brilliant. No Country or There Will Blood will probably win though.

botankus
Of the biggies, I've only seen Michael Clayton. Loved it. I'm trying to see No Country and There/Blood this weekend.

My "film critic" brother has seen all 5 noninees and said while Michael Clayton was excellent, No Country is better and will win the award.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by sithsaber408

BEST PICTURE

Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Should: No Country for Old Men
Will: No Country for Old Men

BEST ACTOR

George Clooney in 'Michael Clayton'
Daniel Day-Lewis in 'There Will Be Blood'
Johnny Depp in 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'
Tommy Lee Jones in 'In the Valley of Elah'
Viggo Mortensen in 'Eastern Promises'

Should: Daniel Day-Lewis
Will: Daniel Day-Lewis

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett in 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age'
Julie Christie in 'Away From Her'
Marion Cotillard in 'La Vie En Rose'
Laura Linney in 'The Savages'
Ellen Page in 'Juno'

Should: Ellen Page
Will: Marion Cotillard

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Casey Affleck in 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford'
Javier Bardem in 'No Country for Old Men'
Philip Seymour Hoffman in 'Charlie Wilson's War'
Hal Holbrook in 'Into the Wild'
Tom Wilkinson in 'Michael Clayton'

Should: Javier Bardem
Will: Javier Bardem

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett in 'I'm Not There'
Ruby Dee in 'American Gangster'
Saoirse Ronan in 'Atonement'
Amy Ryan in 'Gone Baby Gone'
Tilda Swinton in 'Michael Clayton'

Should: Tilda Swinton
Will: Cate Blanchett

BEST DIRECTOR

Paul Thomas Anderson 'There Will Be Blood'
Joel and Ethan Coen 'No Country for Old Men'
Tony Gilroy 'Michael Clayton'
Jason Reitman 'Juno'
Julian Schnabel 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'

Should: Joel and Ethan Coen
Will: Joel and Ethan Coen

MildPossession
You seriously think she should win over the likes of Cate Blancett for her role as 'Bob Dylan', or Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton...

exanda kane
I didn't see Michael Clayton, but yeah.

regina414
Clooney is a favorite, as usual.

sithsaber408
Clooney sucks. stick out tongue

The only thing I liked him in was Out of Sight, and that was a long time ago. Oh, and he's not bad in the Oceans 11 series.

But he's no great dramatic actor.

botankus
His indecisive blankness is a perfect fit for Michael Clayton, though.

=Tired Hiker=
I was not impressed with Michael Clayton at all. I thought it was a good movie, but Oscar worthy???

Impediment
I give less than a damn about the actors and actresses.

However, I really would like to see the Coens win Best Director and NCFOM win Best Picture.

MildPossession
I also liked Michael Clayton, but it wasn't that amazing.

SnakeEyes
Well, No Country for Old Men raked in the awards and I'm very pleased with that.

exanda kane
No Country was great, but I'd still rather it hadn't taken home most of the big awards. There Will Be Blood was at least as deserving for Best Film and Director, and I would have liked to see Atonement get a fair slice.

regina414
Congratulations to the Coen brothers!

MildPossession
Very happy that Juno won Best Original Script, good on Diablo. Happy with most of the awards actually.

botankus
Very happy that Juno won Best Original Script, good on Diablo. Happy with most of the awards actually.

Now there's hope for all the strippers and phone sex operators out there.

darthmaul1
I think the academy needs to get some young blood in there, cause they can only pick movies that suit them / 80 year old farts.
A few years ago johnny should of got best actor for pirates but no the gave it to sean penn.
last night transformers should of won all the catagories they were in but they didn't win 1, that is a crock.
best sound mixing editing and goes to bourne bull crap. and visual effects goes to the golden compass another crock

exanda kane
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I think the academy needs to get some young blood in there, cause they can only pick movies that suit them / 80 year old farts.
A few years ago johnny should of got best actor for pirates but no the gave it to sean penn.
last night transformers should of won all the catagories they were in but they didn't win 1, that is a crock.
best sound mixing editing and goes to bourne bull crap. and visual effects goes to the golden compass another crock

eek!

Wait, you're serious?

darthmaul1
Originally posted by exanda kane
eek!

Wait, you're serious?

Yes I am serious, it takes talent to pull of a character the way Johnny did in pirates,
The academy should broden their horizons and actually select more actors and movies in all ranges.

instead of 90% of the time going with the dramas.
eg star wars was up for best picture in 1977,
Depp for Jack sparrow, but we need to see more like that. not just in the special effects.

Look at the nominees for best animated feature, surfs up and ratatoullie and that other piece of crap that look like a 2 year old did it for seaseme street. that shouldn't of even been nominated.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by botankus
Now there's hope for all the strippers and phone sex operators out there.

Rapper Eve is a former stripper... Glad for Marion Cotillard. Tilda Swinton was well deserving also.

exanda kane
Yes I am serious, it takes talent to pull of a character the way Johnny did in pirates,
The academy should broden their horizons and actually select more actors and movies in all ranges.

instead of 90% of the time going with the dramas.
eg star wars was up for best picture in 1977,
Depp for Jack sparrow, but we need to see more like that. not just in the special effects.

Look at the nominees for best animated feature, surfs up and ratatoullie and that other piece of crap that look like a 2 year old did it for seaseme street. that shouldn't of even been nominated.

That post could easily be ironic if you were more knowing. They chose Johnny Depp for Sweeney Todd, ridiculously. He's great fun, but is he of the same calibre of Daniel Day-Lewis or Viggo Mortonsen? I don't think so.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by exanda kane
That post could easily be ironic if you were more knowing. They chose Johnny Depp for Sweeney Todd, ridiculously. He's great fun, but is he of the same calibre of Daniel Day-Lewis or Viggo Mortonsen? I don't think so.

I didn't say that he should of won for sweeny todd, I said he should of won for Pirates of the carribbean.

Most definatley Daniel and Viggo were much better in the movies this year.

but Johnny does have the same potential as either of them.

But the year when he was up for best actor for pirates he should of won that hands down, but the academy will not pick a movie like that to win.

exanda kane
He isn't in there league. Contrary to popular thought, Johnny Depp is quite a limited actor and no, he shouldn't have won for being Jack Sparrow. It's a good film and a great character but a charictacure doesn't equate to an Oscar.

queeq
Depp limited??? That's a new one.

MildPossession
Transformers? definitely did NOT deserve a nomination in the Sound Editing or Mixing, please. Visual Effects it did though, I agree. I haven't seen the other two so can't say if it deserved to win for VE.

What rubbish. Young blood isn't going to make much of a difference imo.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by queeq
Depp limited??? That's a new one.

I think he's extremely limited. He's type casted a hell of a lot, and he's yet to convincingly play a character. Every single film I've seen him in, could have been better cast, but of course Depp's mug rakes in the dollars.

exanda kane
The films where he isn't cast as a larger than life figure he simply acts stiff and broody throughout. Not to take away from what he can do, he's still a great entertainer (who has somehow rubbed the right people to be considered "arty" in places) but no way should he have been nominated for Sweeney Todd, as a fair example.

And another thing about the Oscars; Johnny Greenwood's score was disqualified because some of it was sampled and performed prior et cetera, yet it was by far the most intriguing and well executed of any this year. The first shots of stark Californian landscape in There Will Be Blood, with that threatening piece right at the beginning, utterly brilliant. You're staring at rocks for christ's sake and yet you feel bloody terrified.

I can't help but feel a tad malovent against the Coen Brothers for scooping all the big rewards from Paul Thomas Anderson (as great as No Country was).

super pr*xy
i thought transformers was more deserving of that oscar than the golden compass was.

celestialdemon
Johnny Depp should have most certainly won for Pirates of the Carribbean. He was much better than Sean Penn that year, as was Bill Murray. I also think Depp should have been nominated this year for Sweeney Todd, though he definitely didn't deserve the win. The only performance I disagree with was in Finding Neverland. That was just given to him.

darthmaul1
I thought he was nominated for Sweeny Todd?

He's limited? what the hell is that? He is an astounding actor

What are you going to say next? that Kevin Costner is a great actor?
You probably love him to death.

It's like his movie dances with Indians, that completely sucked, but it appealed to the academy so that is why it won.

celestialdemon
I thought he was nominated for Sweeny Todd?

He's limited? what the hell is that? He is an astounding actor

What are you going to say next? that Kevin Costner is a great actor?
You probably love him to death.

It's like his movie dances with Indians, that completely sucked, but it appealed to the academy so that is why it won.

Yes, he was nominated for Sweeney Todd. I was just pointing out that he deserved to be.

I like most of Kevin Costner's movies, but I don't think he's a great actor. The only movie of his where I think his acting was good was The Upside of Anger.

Dances With Wolves was a great movie. It probably shouldn't have beat out Goodfellas, but I have no problem with it winning, because it wasn't that "worse" of a movie (like Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in Love).

Röland
It's Dances with Wolves, if you're going to say it is a bad movie, at least get the name right.

MildPossession
Dances with Wolves was not a bad film.

darthmaul1
I know it's dances with wolves, I was making a joke.

darthmaul1
had shakespeare in love not come out saving private ryan may of won

it's like star wars loosing to annie hall, bull crap

apocolayps now loosing to kramer vs kramer

chariots of fire was good but it would of been nice to see raiders get it

right stuff looses to terms of enderment

dead poets society looses to driving miss daisy

shawshank loosed to forrest gump

fargo looses to english paitent

fellowship of the ring looses to a beautiful mind

two towers looses to chicago

but then return of the king wins the next year just cause it was the 3rd time and if they didn't there would of been a riot.

I am seeing a pattern here, if the movie fits with the acadamey it will win
unless there is nothing else that suites them they pick the other.

or if the director has done 3 or more movies then it will win best picture or director, same goes for the actor, the next time Johnny depp gets nominated he will win cause it will be his 4th time.

WrathfulDwarf
Dances with Wolves is a masterpiece. One of the best westerns ever.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Dances with Wolves is a masterpiece. One of the best westerns ever.

Ummm no, one of the best westerns ever is, Tombstone.

Dances with wolves is a boring piece of crap.

WrathfulDwarf

Says you! Tombstone is just a gun-slingers flick. Way too many of those out there. Dances with wolves captures the beauty and brutalilty of the old west just perfectly.

As of matter of fact.....The good, the bad, and the ugly>>>Tombstone.

MildPossession
Annie Hall is also a fabulous piece of film making.

exanda kane
Yeah, actually a lot the films mentioned as "stealing" Oscars from "better" films (such as the Dead Poet's Society ha!:laughsmile are genuinely better than your choices.

celestialdemon
had shakespeare in love not come out saving private ryan may of won

it's like star wars loosing to annie hall, bull crap

apocolayps now loosing to kramer vs kramer

chariots of fire was good but it would of been nice to see raiders get it

right stuff looses to terms of enderment

dead poets society looses to driving miss daisy

shawshank loosed to forrest gump

fargo looses to english paitent

fellowship of the ring looses to a beautiful mind

two towers looses to chicago

but then return of the king wins the next year just cause it was the 3rd time and if they didn't there would of been a riot.

I am seeing a pattern here, if the movie fits with the acadamey it will win
unless there is nothing else that suites them they pick the other.

or if the director has done 3 or more movies then it will win best picture or director, same goes for the actor, the next time Johnny depp gets nominated he will win cause it will be his 4th time.

So how come Michael Mann's fantastic movie The Insider lost to Sam Mendes' freshman movie American Beauty?

chillmeistergen
Darthmaul1 has one of the most abysmal taste in films I've ever seen, so best not to take the lad seriously.

=Tired Hiker=
He's right about Transformers. It should have beat that Bourne movie for best sound editing and mixing and The Golden Compass for best effects.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
He's right about Transformers. It should have beat that Bourne movie for best sound editing and mixing and The Golden Compass for best effects.

Thanks

darthmaul1
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Darthmaul1 has one of the most abysmal taste in films I've ever seen, so best not to take the lad seriously.

???
And what is your taste of movies?
Let me guess,

The Avengers
40 year old virgin
armageddon
Pearl Harbour
Cloverfield

MildPossession
Aliens is fantastic and that was in his list(can't remember anymore), at least he has some taste there stick out tongue

chillmeistergen
???
And what is your taste of movies?
Let me guess,

The Avengers
40 year old virgin
armageddon
Pearl Harbour
Cloverfield

Nah, that's not my taste.

Röland

Unforgiven, The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Dances with Wolves, just to name a few, are significantly better than Tombstone.

exanda kane
You idiot

darthmaul1
Unforgiven was good and so was the good the bad and the ugly, Fist full of dollars, high plains drifter,
But dances with wolves, for me I didn't like it and Kevin costner just made it even worse.

TeenMovies1

Me too. I think Juno was totally deserving. It was fresh and hip. I could relate. I can't wait to own it!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.