Joe Q must be doing something good....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
...to keep things profitable.

http://www.newsarama.com/marketreport/chronicles/Jan08/report.html

Comic-book Title Issue Price Publisher Est. sales

Jan 08

1 Amazing Spider-Man 546 $3.99 Marvel 136,023
2 Hulk 1 $2.99 Marvel 135,598
3 Captain America 34 $2.99 Marvel 133,355
4 Project Superpowers 0 $1.00 Dynamic 118,579
5 Astonishing X-Men 24 $2.99 Marvel 116,016
6 Ultimates 3 2 $2.99 Marvel 112,961
7 X-Men 207 $2.99 Marvel 111,955
8 Amazing Spider-Man 547 $2.99 Marvel 108,416
9 Uncanny X-Men 494 $2.99 Marvel 105,599
10 Amazing Spider-Man 548 $2.99 Marvel 105,055

So much for the Spidey Boycott....

Soljer
*shrugs*

I was buying Spidey...

Now I haven't even downloaded the crap. If it's selling this well, maybe it's worth a look.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Curses.

WrathfulDwarf
Whether you hate or love Joe....the man know how to make business.

Which is good for the industry....

pr1983

marvel generally has the lions share of the top sales each month... i'm not that surprised to be honest...

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Soljer
*shrugs*

I was buying Spidey...

Now I haven't even downloaded the crap. If it's selling this well, maybe it's worth a look.

I download it but dont even read it.

Soljer
Originally posted by Darth Vicious

What the f**k?.

pr1983
i like the new spidey... obviously what came before it has fans up in arms, but imo its a solid comic...

Symmetric Chaos

I've done that laughing out loud

Not with comics though. Mainly happens with pz0n . . .

Val
laughing out loud

I said before people wouldn't boycott Spidey. Wasn't the first time comic fans said they would boycott something and forgot about it when the next issue came out.

Superherovandal
Originally posted by Soljer
*shrugs*

I was buying Spidey...

Now I haven't even downloaded the crap. If it's selling this well, maybe it's worth a look. Do you notice how it lost 20000 people it the span of one week? That shows something about it. It not much better than before. I can say that having dling and reading it.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by pr1983
i like the new spidey... obviously what came before it has fans up in arms, but imo its a solid comic...

Spider-Man went downhill at the start of 2001.

pr1983
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Spider-Man went downhill at the start of 2001.

i wouldnt know, as i've never read alot of spidey... stick out tongue

Kutulu
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I've done that laughing out loud

Not with comics though. Mainly happens with pz0n . . .

You actually take the time to read it? I just look at the pics. naughty343

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Kutulu
You actually take the time to read it? I just look at the pics. naughty343

Maybe I'm weird but a good plot line turns me on a lot more than anything else.

But we're getting off topic *totally isn't changing the subject*

I assume JoeyQ is a businessman first. OMD and his other unpopular decisions were probably based off of knowledge of the market and knowing what will sell more than anything else. Fans will always complain, especially with comics, but I doubt Joey's really all that stupid.

pr1983
Maybe I'm weird but a good plot line turns me on a lot more than anything else.

But we're getting off topic *totally isn't changing the subject*

I assume JoeyQ is a businessman first. OMD and his other unpopular decisions were probably based off of knowledge of the market and knowing what will sell more than anything else. Fans will always complain, especially with comics, but I doubt Joey's really all that stupid.

i doubt its a question of intelligence, more of his actual desire to please the fans... im not talking about omd in particular, just some of his decisions in general...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by pr1983
i doubt its a question of intelligence, more of his actual desire to please the fans... im not talking about omd in particular, just some of his decisions in general...

Short of actually listening to other people one of the best ways to measure the success (and popularity) of a serialized product is by how much money is made. Perhaps he's pushy and not overly interested in what the fans say they want but it doesn't seem like comic readers as a whole let his decisions change what they read.

pr1983
Short of actually listening to other people one of the best ways to measure the success (and popularity) of a serialized product is by how much money is made. Perhaps he's pushy and not overly interested in what the fans say they want but it doesn't seem like comic readers as a whole let his decisions change what they read.

true, it doesnt, but i think in alot of cases, if you ask a devoted x-men or spidey fan whether they would read what they'd consider a bad version of their character or nothing at all, they'll take the bad in hopes it will improve...

marvel is financially successful, sure, but its standards have been slipping, you can even see it here on kmc how many people are reading more indie and dc stuff...

its all rosey now for joe q, but i think we could see another 90s esque drop if things don't change...

SmurphSmash!
Is it weird that I only entered this thread because I can't remember the last time WD made a thread about Marvel?

Though we know it's really about his jealousy of all the sales Marvel is getting, that aren't going towards DC.

But still... the title said Joe Q...

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by SmurphSmash!
Is it weird that I only entered this thread because I can't remember the last time WD made a thread about Marvel?

Though we know it's really about his jealousy of all the sales Marvel is getting, that aren't going towards DC.

But still... the title said Joe Q...

I'm actually quite surprise by how BND performed even after all the negativity of OMD. I would be jealous if I was a stock holder from DC...but I'm not...so I lose nothing.

Can't say Joe Q isn't a good investment.

Entity
Don't care how well it's selling or how good it is. I'm standing by what I said.

Haven't bought or even looked at a Spidey comic since OMD other than what I see here on KMC.

HueyFreeman
Its not that bad. Actually I find it reminiscent of the 90 animated series without the baggage. I know the whole (erasing history ) bothers people bt hey, I find it more enjoyable now than it has been in a while.

starlock
Originally posted by Entity
Don't care how well it's selling or how good it is. I'm standing by what I said.

Haven't bought or even looked at a Spidey comic since OMD other than what I see here on KMC.
thumb up

roughrider
Originally posted by Entity

Three more years until Marvel's 50th Anniversary. I'm willing to bet Spidey & Mary Jane will be reunited by then.

tjcoady
Brand New Day Spiderman is literally the best Spidey's been since the eighties.

This isn't because of One More Day... it's because it's the first time in decades we have writer who writes a fun, clever, and action packed Spiderman. Whoa. What a revelation that good writers make good comic books.

I don't have a clue what all of you who are hating on current Spiderman are so up in arms about. Slott is writing the shit out of Spidey write now.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by tjcoady
Brand New Day Spiderman is literally the best Spidey's been since the eighties.

I seriously doubt that...

tjcoady

Have you been reading the Dan Slott issues?

Lets see. Since the late eighties, we've had the debacles of Spiderman that have been the original, Marvel identity crisis- when all those shitty characters like Ricochet replaced Spidey. The horrifyingly bad, interminably long clone saga. The unbelievably, excruciatingly stupid Maximum Carnage. And sprinkled in that, we have Sins Past, The Other, all that bs about Spiderman sorta being like a Spider Avatar, like a terrible version of Swamp Thing, a million THE RETURN OF THE GREEN GOBLIN! MORE EXTREME THAN EVER THIS TIME!!!!!!! stories, we had the twins of Gwen Stacey when it turns on she got it on with Norman Osborne, we had more "is MJ going to leave Peter?????" oh noooooooes! stories than anyone can count, we had more and more goblins, we had all those damn symbiotes- I mean one is fine, but did we really need Carnage and Toxin and so on? Oh, his parents came back to life once, in the most complex Chameleon plot I've ever read, but! Damn, they're LMDs. Peter Parker became a teacher at the least interesting, most lax attendance policy high school ever, and then he joined the Avengers.

I mean, I really don't get Marvel's policy of putting bad writers on their premier title. There's, of course, been many bright spots (Death of Kraven anyone? Of out of continuity titles like Reign. Or a bunch of other small arcs), but on the whole, Spidey, who's been one of my top three favorite characters since I was three, has had some terrible, terrible writing.

Dan Slott is writing a fun, action packed Spiderman. A Peter Parker I can actually consistently enjoy reading.

But, unlike most people on these forums, I'm not really all that nitpicky about continuity. I'd rather read a good story that breaks 'canon' then read a bad story that's so continuity spotless it gleams. I mean, I like to nitpick for fun, but it's really not worth letting it get in the way of enjoying a single comic book on its own merits.

starlock

thumb up

HueyFreeman
I seriously doubt that... because spiderman has been so good for a while now roll eyes (sarcastic)

WrathfulDwarf
Have you been reading the Dan Slott issues?

Lets see. Since the late eighties, we've had the debacles of Spiderman that have been the original, Marvel identity crisis- when all those shitty characters like Ricochet replaced Spidey. The horrifyingly bad, interminably long clone saga. The unbelievably, excruciatingly stupid Maximum Carnage. And sprinkled in that, we have Sins Past, The Other, all that bs about Spiderman sorta being like a Spider Avatar, like a terrible version of Swamp Thing, a million THE RETURN OF THE GREEN GOBLIN! MORE EXTREME THAN EVER THIS TIME!!!!!!! stories, we had the twins of Gwen Stacey when it turns on she got it on with Norman Osborne, we had more "is MJ going to leave Peter?????" oh noooooooes! stories than anyone can count, we had more and more goblins, we had all those damn symbiotes- I mean one is fine, but did we really need Carnage and Toxin and so on? Oh, his parents came back to life once, in the most complex Chameleon plot I've ever read, but! Damn, they're LMDs. Peter Parker became a teacher at the least interesting, most lax attendance policy high school ever, and then he joined the Avengers.

I mean, I really don't get Marvel's policy of putting bad writers on their premier title. There's, of course, been many bright spots (Death of Kraven anyone? Of out of continuity titles like Reign. Or a bunch of other small arcs), but on the whole, Spidey, who's been one of my top three favorite characters since I was three, has had some terrible, terrible writing.

Dan Slott is writing a fun, action packed Spiderman. A Peter Parker I can actually consistently enjoy reading.

But, unlike most people on these forums, I'm not really all that nitpicky about continuity. I'd rather read a good story that breaks 'canon' then read a bad story that's so continuity spotless it gleams. I mean, I like to nitpick for fun, but it's really not worth letting it get in the way of enjoying a single comic book on its own merits.

The 80's gave us the very best of Spiderman stories. I can see Dan as a good writer...but I wouldn't categorize it with the others.

tjcoady
The 80's gave us the very best of Spiderman stories. I can see Dan as a good writer...but I wouldn't categorize it with the others.

No, no, you're right... we had some sweet Spidey stories in the eighties- first appearance of the black costume, the Kraven stories, a bunch of others. My point was that Slott is writing better Spidey stories than I've read since, like, the Sin Eater killed that cop (DeWolfe?) and he teamed up with Daredevil. Nineties and 00s Spidey was pretty bad, is my point.

It's just nice to see fun loving, action packed Spiderman, rather than, 'oh my life is so continuously terrible, I hate being Spiderman' Spiderman.

Really, the point I'm trying to get across is that OMD was unnecessary- there's really nothing going on right now that couldn't have happened if they just found some other way to get Spidey's identity a secret again- but BND has been really, really good. I would have liked it if we had just put in good writers rather than making us go through the whole Mephisto thing. It wasn't necessary- not even a necessary evil- but, we are getting good Spiderman stories, so if that's the price to pay, then it's not that big of a deal for me.

starlock
No, no, you're right... we had some sweet Spidey stories in the eighties- first appearance of the black costume, the Kraven stories, a bunch of others. My point was that Slott is writing better Spidey stories than I've read since, like, the Sin Eater killed that cop (DeWolfe?) and he teamed up with Daredevil. Nineties and 00s Spidey was pretty bad, is my point.

It's just nice to see fun loving, action packed Spiderman, rather than, 'oh my life is so continuously terrible, I hate being Spiderman' Spiderman.

Really, the point I'm trying to get across is that OMD was unnecessary- there's really nothing going on right now that couldn't have happened if they just found some other way to get Spidey's identity a secret again- but BND has been really, really good. I would have liked it if we had just put in good writers rather than making us go through the whole Mephisto thing. It wasn't necessary- not even a necessary evil- but, we are getting good Spiderman stories, so if that's the price to pay, then it's not that big of a deal for me.

I respect your view...but what about me? and people like me...i have collected spiderman since the 70's, i dont want to read peter living with aunt may rehashing every old story with a spin on it and the stories that made a impact on me and made me feel closer to the character are thrown out the window for a quick buck(his unmasking was a desperate move), i wanted a progression to what was going on at the time...and not the stupid mistakes...like you said good writing...but what about good writing with a pushy editor.....do you think it was the writers who pushed to unmask spiderman?....or the writer who created one more day? did not the writer almost quit and asked for his name to be removed? but then after some thought(joe q) he decided not to....its these things that have made me quit spiderman totally....but hey if the stories are to your liking i am happy for you smile

Grimm22
If One More Day had retconned Sins Past, then MAYBE I would have picked up Brand New Day, but because Joe Q is a stubborn jackass who refuses to admit he is wrong, it wasn't.

Also, Brand New Day has essentially killed Spider-Man in the Main MU. He's living in his own reality now.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Grimm22
If One More Day had retconned Sins Past, then MAYBE I would have picked up Brand New Day, but because Joe Q is a stubborn jackass who refuses to admit he is wrong, it wasn't.

Also, Brand New Day has essentially killed Spider-Man in the Main MU. He's living in his own reality now.

Who's hanging out with the New Avengers, then?

Superherovandal
See thats the thing in New Avengers They all know his identity, he's unmasked himself and everything. but BND has it so no one alive knows his identity. So BND can't possibly exist along side NA.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Superherovandal
See thats the thing in New Avengers They all know his identity, he's unmasked himself and everything. but BND has it so no one alive knows his identity. So BND can't possibly exist along side NA.

Remember, it's magic, it doesn't have to make sense

Also, Skrulls

King Kandy
Originally posted by Val
laughing out loud

I said before people wouldn't boycott Spidey. Wasn't the first time comic fans said they would boycott something and forgot about it when the next issue came out.
I said I would never buy a marvel comic if they had WWH beat Strange/Zom, and so far I have stuck to that.

Grimm22
Originally posted by King Kandy
I said I would never buy a marvel comic if they had WWH beat Strange/Zom, and so far I have stuck to that.

Well in all honesty you should have expected that one to happen erm (considering that you know, it was WWH)

willRules
Originally posted by Grimm22
Remember, it's magic, it doesn't have to make sense

Also, Skrulls

I think that's the current motto for Amazing Spider-man yes

chithappens
... How is Marvel selling that well? Who the hell is reading this stuff?

X-Men: cool.

Captin America: I'm good.

Ultimates, 3 Spidermans (!), Hulk: WTF!

this should be in the conspiracy forum

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by chithappens
... How is Marvel selling that well? Who the hell is reading this stuff?

Ummm...their fanbase? wink

tjcoady
plus that a lot of Marvel's books have been really, really ****ing GREAT

Daredevil, The Order, Captain America, Iron Fist, a lot of the X books, have all been consistently really good reads.

WrathfulDwarf
Joe Q does it again with BND...

http://www.newsarama.com/marketreport/Feb08sales.html

DigiMark007
I stopped buying ASM, and that's saying something. I'm just happy I'm not part of the problem. I like Ultimate Spidey, though, because it's the story Joe Q wants but didn't have retcon decades to get there.

roughrider
Joe Q does it again with BND...

http://www.newsarama.com/marketreport/Feb08sales.html

What should frighten DC fans, is that their top-selling book is ALL STAR BATMAN & ROBIN THE BOY WONDER. blink
Some good work being done by many others at DC, and Frank Miller's crappy wankfest is their top seller? Arguably the worst title out there that doesn't involve Jeph Loeb or Rob Liefeld?
What the f**k?

What will it take to get Miller to leave Batman alone? Anonymous letters of blackmail?

Juntai
Soulja Boy Sells Platinum and is nominated for a Grammy.

Sales doesn't mean shit.

DigiMark007
After FC I'm thinking about just retiring from mainstream stuff to read mini's that some of the better writers like to do once they gain enough creative freedom to do pet projects. Because it's a lot of effort to stay up on the big events, big-name characters, and continuity, and nearly as hard to follow 1-2 titles and not get sucked into the rest of it at some point. And there's lots better quality in the minis, if you find the right ones. Even the better weekly/monthly writers can only do so much without having to pander to the larger picture of their company.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I stopped buying ASM,

Originally posted by DigiMark007
After FC I'm thinking about just retiring from mainstream stuff

I don't believe you. 313

DigiMark007
I don't believe you. 313

The first is true. I went cold turkey after the first 2-3 BND issues. Haven't really missed it. Thor is the only Marvel title I'm currently following.

The second....might be true. Eventually. Maybe.

embarrasment

Grimm22
Personally, i've already stopped collecting individual comics.

Not only are they too expensive, but i'm running out of room to keep them. Plus, I can read all the details of issues online or just buy the trades.

Or Comics could just go digital already so I wouldn't have this predicament miffed

Bentley
Minis are the best anyways, I find it tiresome to track the current series I want online, I wouldn't do it if I had to move myself and pay for stuff.

Erik-Lensherr
Lulz.
"That's it, I'm quitting Spider-Man. Joe Quesada sucks" Yeah .. right.
Another demonstration that most of the readers still read the books no matter how hard Joe f*cks them up laughing out loudAnd judging from the quality of the books in top 15 .. (Ultimates and such being that high .. wtf ?).

Mr. Slippyfist
I dropped it... 131

Even though it didn't effect me, and I never really read Spider-Man anyway...

Scoobless
Well I'm still reading it ... even though I hate what happened during OMD and I seem to hate what's happening post OMD even more so.

As of now Spidey can't keep up with a non powered parkour(ist?) and can't even beat Vermin, who was already injured before the fight. His new villain "Freak" is a pile of sh!t, Menace is a Goblin rip-off, Jackpot is worthless and there's now a female Kraven.

We need Spidey to find another demon to make a deal with to get things back on track ... I think Loki still owes him a favour.

sad

H. S. 6
Jesus... I read some BND issues, and wow. What a load of crap.

It doesn't even make sense. All the things that were retconned--did they never happen? Or does everyone just forget them?

For example, were Peter and MJ married, but now everyone forgets about it? Or did it just never happen?

Arahan
Originally posted by Scoobless
Well I'm still reading it ... even though I hate what happened during OMD and I seem to hate what's happening post OMD even more so.

As of now Spidey can't keep up with a non powered parkour(ist?) and can't even beat Vermin, who was already injured before the fight. His new villain "Freak" is a pile of sh!t, Menace is a Goblin rip-off, Jackpot is worthless and there's now a female Kraven.

We need Spidey to find another demon to make a deal with to get things back on track ... I think Loki still owes him a favour.

sad

thumb up

You re right Loki owes him a favour. I didnt read any ASM after the OND stunt. Why should I? First the hole plt was stupid and second 5 years later they will retcon it again. This time he makes a deal with Galactus so his aunt can live forever sad

Stupid

TricksterPriest
laughing out loud This is why I dropped Marvel. The only Marvel books I'm even trying to keep up on are Iron Fist and Thor. I haven't touched anything else marvel in a few months.

Scoobless
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
laughing out loud This is why I dropped Marvel. The only Marvel books I'm even trying to keep up on are Iron Fist and Thor. I haven't touched anything else marvel in a few months.

You're missing out, Secret Invasion is pretty cool.

Arahan
You're missing out, Secret Invasion is pretty cool.

But did Secret Invasion really happen? I dont know. I mean Spiderman is in SI but is this post OMD Spidey or not? If not who is he? A clone?
A skrull? I dont know what to believe, someone help me..may be I just need :

MAGIC

evil face

willRules
Originally posted by TricksterPriest

What about Captain America? Or Incredible Herc or X-factor or both Avengers titles? They're all really good at the moment, heck even Secret Invasion at it's lowest points has still been a reasonably enjoyable read in addition to the two titles you mentioned yes

Soljer
Originally posted by willRules
What about Captain America? Or Incredible Herc or X-factor or both Avengers titles? They're all really good at the moment, heck even Secret Invasion at it's lowest points has still been a reasonably enjoyable read in addition to the two titles you mentioned yes

I like the Incredible Hercules, but I could see how someone else might not.

Captain America, on the other hand? No one has an excuse for not reading that.

Secret Invasion's been 'okay,' and the Avengers titles are quite 'meh.'

Scoobless
The Avengers are still pretty good.

You should definitely check out the latest Iron fist series though.

Soljer
The Avengers are still pretty good.

You should definitely check out the latest Iron fist series though.

Me? Telling me to check out Iron Fist?

stick out tongue.

Scoobless
It was a general recomendation to everyone.

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/customsmilies/excellent.gif

Juntai
Hey Scoob, you should check out Deadpool.
big grin

Scoobless
Originally posted by Juntai
Hey Scoob, you should check out Deadpool.
big grin

Who?

confused

Creshosk
Who?

confused Scoob, as in Scooby doo... you know, big brown great dane, terrified of his own shadow?

Scoobless
The Danish are all cowards though ... so no surprise there (but ease up on the colour labelling, don't want to sound racist now)

Raoul
f*ck denmark... not the people, just the country...

Scoobless
If there's two kinds of people I can't stand, it's those who are intolerant towards other people/cultures .... and the Danish.

Raoul
If there's two kinds of people I can't stand, it's those who are intolerant towards other people/cultures .... and the Danish.

lulz...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.