You got lucky with Y2K...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

caedusrulesall
Ok, everyone. Remember the whole Y2K conspiracy/craze? How everyone thought that computers were going to blow up (not literally) in 2000 because they measured time in the last two digits, and we thought that they would think that the year 2000 (00) would be displayed as 1900 (also 00), causing huge problems? Yeah, remember that? We got lucky with Y2K not happening. But we have its second go-'round coming in 30 years! May I present to you...

The Year 2038 Problem!

Also known as...

Y2K38!

Note: This is a mix of conspiracy and fact, so it does belong in the conspiracy forum.

What is it?
To measure time, computers use something known as UNIX code. What UNIX code really is is the number of seconds that have passed since the UNIX's date of "birth", which is January 1, 1970 (e.g. 01/01/70 and 00:00:01 would have a UNIX code of 1, 00:01:00 would have a UNIX code of 60, etc.). The computer then converts the number of seconds into a proper time. To store this, a "time_t" data type that is a "signer 32-bit integer" (honestly, people, I have no idea what these are) is used. However, this signed 32-bit integer can only reach a certain number of seconds before the time wraps around, meaning that it will change to a different value: that value, only in negative. Meaning that if it was at 1000 when it wrapped around, it would become -1000, and the time would show at not 1000 seconds after its start-up date, but rather as 1000 seconds before its start-up date. This is exactly what is going to happen. On January 19, 2038, at 3:14:08 in the morning (GMT), the 32-bit UNIX code will wrap around. Instead of being at 2147483647 seconds, it will be at -2147483647 seconds, meaning computers will show the time as December 13, 1901, at 20:45:52. This will cause problems similar to those envisioned by the Y2K disaster.

How do we stop it?
This is more difficult than stopping Y2K. That was simply tweaking the computers so they would show the date as 2000 and not 1900. This will be much more difficult. However, there are a few ways. Many computers use the bug-prone 32-bit UNIX code. However, if every computer switches to a 64-bit UNIX code, our codes will last until the year 32,000 (approx.) However, this means that every system that has a 32-bit processor(s) will have to be changed. This change is already underway, but will every system be changed by 2038? Only time will tell.

A demonstration

The following is a GIF image from Wikipedia showing what would happen to a 32-bit UNIX code at the time of disaster. Watch the times (real and computer), the decimal number (the amount of seconds) and the binary numbers. Watch and observe. At 3:14:08 it will happen. After 3:14:07 the next number will be the false 1901 number. It loops around, just so you know.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Year_2038_problem.gif

KharmaDog
In twenty years, computers will be so far advanced from where they are currently, that this will be even less of an issue to concern ourselves with than shapeshifting interdimensional reptiles.

Furion
Reptiles will be gone by then. Keanu Reeves will have wiped them off the face of the Earth.

lord xyz
Originally posted by caedusrulesall
Ok, everyone. Remember the whole Y2K conspiracy/craze? How everyone thought that computers were going to blow up (not literally) in 2000 because they measured time in the last two digits, and we thought that they would think that the year 2000 (00) would be displayed as 1900 (also 00), causing huge problems? Yeah, remember that? We got lucky with Y2K not happening. But we have its second go-'round coming in 30 years! May I present to you...

The Year 2038 Problem!

Also known as...

Y2K38!

Note: This is a mix of conspiracy and fact, so it does belong in the conspiracy forum.

What is it?
To measure time, computers use something known as UNIX code. What UNIX code really is is the number of seconds that have passed since the UNIX's date of "birth", which is January 1, 1970 (e.g. 01/01/70 and 00:00:01 would have a UNIX code of 1, 00:01:00 would have a UNIX code of 60, etc.). The computer then converts the number of seconds into a proper time. To store this, a "time_t" data type that is a "signer 32-bit integer" (honestly, people, I have no idea what these are) is used. However, this signed 32-bit integer can only reach a certain number of seconds before the time wraps around, meaning that it will change to a different value: that value, only in negative. Meaning that if it was at 1000 when it wrapped around, it would become -1000, and the time would show at not 1000 seconds after its start-up date, but rather as 1000 seconds before its start-up date. This is exactly what is going to happen. On January 19, 2038, at 3:14:08 in the morning (GMT), the 32-bit UNIX code will wrap around. Instead of being at 2147483647 seconds, it will be at -2147483647 seconds, meaning computers will show the time as December 13, 1901, at 20:45:52. This will cause problems similar to those envisioned by the Y2K disaster.

How do we stop it?
This is more difficult than stopping Y2K. That was simply tweaking the computers so they would show the date as 2000 and not 1900. This will be much more difficult. However, there are a few ways. Many computers use the bug-prone 32-bit UNIX code. However, if every computer switches to a 64-bit UNIX code, our codes will last until the year 32,000 (approx.) However, this means that every system that has a 32-bit processor(s) will have to be changed. This change is already underway, but will every system be changed by 2038? Only time will tell.

A demonstration

The following is a GIF image from Wikipedia showing what would happen to a 32-bit UNIX code at the time of disaster. Watch the times (real and computer), the decimal number (the amount of seconds) and the binary numbers. Watch and observe. At 3:14:08 it will happen. After 3:14:07 the next number will be the false 1901 number. It loops around, just so you know.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Year_2038_problem.gif Okay, in 1999, I changed my computer's clock from approx. 19:43:25 25, November 99 to 23:59:00 31, December 99 and waited until it said 00:00:00 1 January 00.

**** ALL HAPPENED!

Also, how to computers get confused or break down because their clocks are wrong? And we survived 2000? you mean it was a bunch of obvious bullshit.

pepsa
Pshh yeah right. Like I told you before, this isn't going to happen. The human race will keep growing and learning, so we will find out a way to reset something as simple as a clock!

Technology will keep being updated, so this problem is not that large of a threat. Time itself isn't going to go back, just the numbers on the computers will go back. All we have to do is reprogram the time, that isn't hard, is it?

caedusrulesall
Originally posted by pepsa
Pshh yeah right. Like I told you before, this isn't going to happen. The human race will keep growing and learning, so we will find out a way to reset something as simple as a clock!

Pepsa, it's not a matter of resetting it. You can't just reset the internal clock. You can reset the clock in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen, but the internal clock keeps ticking away without any changes. So no matter if you've set your clock to whenever, in 2038 the internal clock will still roll backwards. 'Sides which, we are already growing and learning, which is why we have learned that this is going to happen.

Oh, and BTW, it's human species, not human race. Human is a species, and different races exist within the human species.

Technology will keep being updated, so this problem is not that large of a threat. Time itself isn't going to go back, just the numbers on the computers will go back. All we have to do is reprogram the time, that isn't hard, is it?

As I said before, you can't reprogram the time, and even if you could, it wouldn't do much good if the computer keeps using its 32-bit UNIX code. And given, time wouldn't reset, but think of how much of everything is automated. And now think of how much of that automation involves using times. Now imagine everything thinks it's a different time than it actually is. Truly, making most personal computers 64-bit isn't going to be that difficult to accomplish in 30 years, but think of all the mainframes that all sorts of other technologies rely on. To convert them from 32 to 64 bit would mean shutting down them and everything that relies on them (one example being controls at a nuclear power plant. Just an example). Imagine the problems that would cause!

lord xyz

Technology will keep being updated, so this problem is not that large of a threat. Time itself isn't going to go back, just the numbers on the computers will go back. All we have to do is reprogram the time, that isn't hard, is it? Find out a way to reset a clock? We don't need to! Nothing bad will happen. Computers don't have a concept of time and date, nor do they get confused, so how could they think 2038 was 1901? They don't know 1901 or 2038. 1901 was never programmed into computers because they weren't around back then and computers don't compute according to a time schedule.

pepsa
Lord xyz is actually right. Nothing is going to happen, and computers won't have a sense of the time 1901.

Bicnarok

Furion
Then The Amish will be making fun of everyone.

jaden101
haha...i just reset my computer clock to a minute before that time and let it run down and got a "sony vaio system error" message...the clock kept going...and my computer kept working....but i did actually get an error message..

Furion
That error message will destroy reality.

jaden101
yeah...its happening now....there's a big black hole opening up on my laptop screen and it's swallowing what appears to be a giant purple headed python

caedusrulesall

jaden101
The reason your computer kept working (or the clock, for that matter) is because the internal clock still said it was 2008, while only the bottom right-hand corner clock said it was 2038.

Also, I accept no accountability/liability/responsability/etc. if you try setting your computer to the Y2K38 time and something happens to your computer. Not my fault, you tried it, aware of what I was saying would happen, so it's not my fault.

die

lord xyz

caedusrulesall
Originally posted by lord xyz
Of course, these computers have a secret clock that's counting every second since whenever...for some reason...and apparently it resets when it reaches 100000000000000000000000000000000 in binary...for some reason, and when it reaches that a second time (or whenever it started) it gets confused somehow and crashes. Yep, very likely.

It's not a secret clock. It's an internal clock, and reread my first post if you want to know what will really happen.

Edit: Changed my clock, like I predicted, **** all happened.

I'm just covering all my bases, I don't want anyone accusing me of ruining their computer. Not my fault, not my fault.

And to all you doubting people, look on Wikipedia and then do a Google search. All this stuff will come up. Read it, then respond again. It's more likely to happen than Y2K ever was.

lord xyz
It's not a secret clock. It's an internal clock, and reread my first post if you want to know what will really happen.

I'm just covering all my bases, I don't want anyone accusing me of ruining their computer. Not my fault, not my fault.

And to all you doubting people, look on Wikipedia and then do a Google search. All this stuff will come up. Read it, then respond again. It's more likely to happen than Y2K ever was. An internal clock, what for? How do computers get confused? These are important questions, why aren't you answering them?

No one will accuse you of ruining their computer because, like I said, it doesn't ruin your computer.

jaden101
aaaaannnndd therin lies your problem

caedusrulesall
An internal clock, what for? How do computers get confused? These are important questions, why aren't you answering them?

An internal clock because every computer has an internal clock. It is what will always measure the time, and it measures it in the UNIX code of seconds since 1970. As for computers getting confused when the time says 1901 because of:

A: As you said yourself earlier, they don't have a sense of 1901. A computer can't present a non-presence, so what will they do?
B: Everything that is automated that requires a sense of time will go haywire. And there's a lot of automated stuff!

No one will accuse you of ruining their computer because, like I said, it doesn't ruin your computer.

But I'm saying that just in case it does.

Originally posted by jaden101
aaaaannnndd therin lies your problem

Um...why? Wikipedia is managed by moderators that are employed by Wikipedia . They make sure everything is fact-checked, and if you write something stupid they'll correct you, and they most certainly would get rid of an entire article if it was just a piece of crap.

Magee
I set my computers clock to 2038 and 39 nothing happened? 2099 still nothing happening.

lord xyz
An internal clock because every computer has an internal clock. It is what will always measure the time, and it measures it in the UNIX code of seconds since 1970. Why measure the time? Why 1970 (and since 1970 is the start, to them, 1901 never happened)?

As for computers getting confused when the time says 1901 because of:

A: As you said yourself earlier, they don't have a sense of 1901. A computer can't present a non-presence, so what will they do? Not present it. They can't get confused if they have no concept of it. We can't get confused as to why there's like in the galaxy next to ours, we don't know of life in the galaxy next to ours. Nothing to get confused about, no confusion.
B: Everything that is automated that requires a sense of time will go haywire. And there's a lot of automated stuff! All with a sense of time? I don't think so. Computers don't have that sense...or any sense.

But I'm saying that just in case it does. It won't.

Um...why? Wikipedia is managed by moderators that are employed by Wikipedia . They make sure everything is fact-checked, and if you write something stupid they'll correct you, and they most certainly would get rid of an entire article if it was just a piece of crap. I must find a mistake or an error in nealry every article. Usually when looking at music. A band website could say the band started in 1999 but a list of bands could say the band started in 98. I've seen the likes of that too many times.

foolstation
In 2038 there will be no computers at all, because it`s a known secret that a WW3 will begin at 2013. And there`s not much to be left after that.

Magee
Originally posted by foolstation
because it`s a known secret laughing out loud

jaden101
haha...how did i miss that one?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Magee
laughing out loud Even Bush wouldn't say that.

caedusrulesall
I must find a mistake or an error in nealry every article. Usually when looking at music. A band website could say the band started in 1999 but a list of bands could say the band started in 98. I've seen the likes of that too many times.

But have you ever found an entire article that is one giant mistake?

Originally posted by foolstation
In 2038 there will be no computers at all, because it`s a known secret that a WW3 will begin at 2013. And there`s not much to be left after that.

Oh, I never get tired of the hilarious craziness of stuff posted on this forum (except for this thread of mine, of course.)

rolling on floor laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing

Also, lord xyz, a computer related bug appears on a bunch of your posts: whenever you've edited a post, it comes up as "Last edited by lord xyz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00 AM". Look at your post above this one to see it.

jaden101

Also, lord xyz, a computer related bug appears on a bunch of your posts: whenever you've edited a post, it comes up as "Last edited by lord xyz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00 AM". Look at your post above this one to see it.

please tell me you're being sarcastic lest i have to kill someone out of frustration at my fellow human beings

caedusrulesall
please tell me you're being sarcastic lest i have to kill someone out of frustration at my fellow human beings

I'm not sarcastic, take a look at lord xyz's post a few up. I tried to printscreen and post a pic of it but it won't work...take a look at his post a few up.

jaden101
I'm not sarcastic, take a look at lord xyz's post a few up. I tried to printscreen and post a pic of it but it won't work...take a look at his post a few up.

i know that...it's part of his signature...it's deliberate...he wrote it

Magee
This thread is great. wink

lord xyz
Originally posted by Magee
This thread is great. wink I agree. lol

Jin Saotome
I knew that that whole Y2K thing was BS from the start and I was only 9 1/2 when it happened.

caedusrulesall
i know that...it's part of his signature...it's deliberate...he wrote it

Oh...um. How am I supposed to know that? Seriously, one of the problems with Y2K38 is that since Y2K never happened, people assume the same will happen in 2038. It's a whole different scenario, one that has been tested and found that it will happen unless something is done about it! Y2K was about computers not knowing that it would be 2000 since they measured years in the last two digits (eg. 1999 would show as 99, 2000 would show as 00.) Since that problem was corrected, people believe that Y2K38 won't happen. It's a whole different situation! The UNIX code will wrap around at 3:14:08 on Jan. 19/2038, which is something completely different, and it's not just a matter of "Ok let's prepare in case something happens", it's a matter of "We need to prepare because it will happen". We need to prepare! Luckily we have 30 years to do so, but 30 years means nothing if people assume we're safe because the original Y2K didn't happen.

jaden101
i think you need to watch this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbI-363A2Q

~KoK!~
And if computers aren't programmed with 1901, and suddenly the UNIX code has a number that would make it 1901, what do you think is going to happen?

True, they don't, but so much is controlled by computers, and if all these computers stop working on account of the Y2K38 bug, what will happen?

Or if something such as Y2K38 happens, all the important things won't work.

The reason your computer kept working (or the clock, for that matter) is because the internal clock still said it was 2008, while only the bottom right-hand corner clock said it was 2038.

Also, I accept no accountability/liability/responsability/etc. if you try setting your computer to the Y2K38 time and something happens to your computer. Not my fault, you tried it, aware of what I was saying would happen, so it's not my fault. Being as you admitted to yourself that you have no idea how this whole "32-bit UNIX code" stuff meant, it's no wonder that you're stupid enough to believe this could ACTUALLY happen.

Face it, it won't happen. It' CAN'T happen. Even if it could, it's not like we'll be using computers with the same internal clock anymore. Besides, how do you know what the specifics on government computers are. They're more advanced than any computer you've ever seen.

Stupid.

caedusrulesall
Originally posted by ~KoK!~
Being as you admitted to yourself that you have no idea how this whole "32-bit UNIX code" stuff meant, it's no wonder that you're stupid enough to believe this could ACTUALLY happen.

I have a basic understanding of how it works, and how this problem could arise. But I don't know computers inside out, so I don't know the specifics and intricacies of it.

Face it, it won't happen. It' CAN'T happen.

Why is it so impossible to happen?

Even if it could, it's not like we'll be using computers with the same internal clock anymore.

Some computers have lasted much longer than we ever thought they would. What's to say a computer built in our times right now couldn't survive to 2038? It doesn't matter when it was built, just that it has 32-bit processors/UNIX code.

Besides, how do you know what the specifics on government computers are. They're more advanced than any computer you've ever seen.

Not only government computers are automated, plus while they may be advanced they still have an internal clock that utilizes UNIX code, meaning that it could be 32-bit UNIX code that they use.

Stupid.

Workable.

For more information and a more in-depth explanation visit http://www.2038bug.com/index.html .

sweersa
Pepsa, it's not a matter of resetting it. You can't just reset the internal clock. You can reset the clock in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen, but the internal clock keeps ticking away without any changes. So no matter if you've set your clock to whenever, in 2038 the internal clock will still roll backwards. 'Sides which, we are already growing and learning, which is why we have learned that this is going to happen.

Oh, and BTW, it's human species, not human race. Human is a species, and different races exist within the human species.

As I said before, you can't reprogram the time, and even if you could, it wouldn't do much good if the computer keeps using its 32-bit UNIX code. And given, time wouldn't reset, but think of how much of everything is automated. And now think of how much of that automation involves using times. Now imagine everything thinks it's a different time than it actually is. Truly, making most personal computers 64-bit isn't going to be that difficult to accomplish in 30 years, but think of all the mainframes that all sorts of other technologies rely on. To convert them from 32 to 64 bit would mean shutting down them and everything that relies on them (one example being controls at a nuclear power plant. Just an example). Imagine the problems that would cause!

My computer has a 64 bit processor, and a 32 bit operating system. The clocks can't possible do anything bad even if they mess up. It would be really easy to just develop some sort of patch to fix the time. And to reset the time or wipe it out you just pull out the CMOS battery out of the motherboard.

Bardock42
Y2K38?

Wouldn't that be 200038 or am I off with my logic?

caedusrulesall
Originally posted by Bardock42
Y2K38?

Wouldn't that be 200038 or am I off with my logic?

You're off with your logic.

Y2K = 2K = 2000. 2000+38 = 2038.

Captain REX
Y2K was a load of bollocks, Y2K38 will be the same, as will Y3K, all the way up to Y-infinite-K.

Kapton JAC
Yea, I can't wait untill nothing happens in 2038. smile

darkxbox
by 2038, humans wont be on earth anyway, we are leaving on 12/21/2012, the rapture is no lie, though there is more to it than you can possibly imagine.

Kapton JAC
The repture is no lie, but noone knows when it will happen. smile

darkxbox
actually, you should read this thread http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=479647&pagenumber=3#post10467992

i believe it has something to do with the rapture. oh, and watch the video at the beggining of the thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.