Public Enemies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sithsaber408
Just found out about this film today!

Michael Mann, director of Heat, Ali, Collateral, and Miami Vice is making a gangster film starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale.

An adaptation of Brian Burrough's book "Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-43," the film centers on the government's attempt to stop John Dillinger and his gang. Depp is playing Dillinger to Bale's famed FBI agent Melvin Purvis.

Also in the cast are Marion Cotillard, Channing Tatum, Giovanni Ribisi and Stephen Dorff.

Shooting begins in March in Chicago.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=42259

faithxp
Ive heard that title before.,

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by faithxp
Ive heard that title before.,

You might be thinking "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith.

Anyway, this sounds interesting. Bale and Depp should be pretty good; I'm looking forward to this.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Just found out about this film today!

Michael Mann, director of Heat, Ali, Collateral, and Miami Vice is making a gangster film starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale.

An adaptation of Brian Burrough's book "Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-43," the film centers on the government's attempt to stop John Dillinger and his gang. Depp is playing Dillinger to Bale's famed FBI agent Melvin Purvis.

Also in the cast are Marion Cotillard, Channing Tatum, Giovanni Ribisi and Stephen Dorff.

Shooting begins in March in Chicago.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=42259

Bale and Cotillard are faves of mine. I look forward to seeing this.

exanda kane
David Wenham's up for this shizzle too.

SnakeEyes
Btw, I checked this out on Wikipedia and they say the title is "Public Enemies." This would make sense since the book has that same title.

sithsaber408
embarrasment

Good catch.

Captain REX
Title changed, as requested!

bizEb
sounds like it has the makings of another great gangster flick. love the true to life flicks of the old-school gangsters like Bonnie & Clyde & The Untouchables.

MildPossession
I'll be there to see a Michael Mann film smile especially with Christian Bale, and Marion Cotillard.

Phat_Crabs
Dis movie is gona mbe da abomb, yo!

faithxp
I think I heard this movie before., or maybe they have just the same in title.,

=Tired Hiker=
mistake of a post

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by faithxp
I think I heard this movie before., or maybe they have just the same in title., Originally posted by SnakeEyes
You might be thinking "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith.

Anyway, this sounds interesting. Bale and Depp should be pretty good; I'm looking forward to this.

exanda kane
I would have thought people would have thought the title was more like 'Public Enemy' instead of 'Enemy of the State.' Oh well.

It's a shame that Depp is Dillinger and Bale is the agent bringing him down. It would work better the other way.

MildPossession
When I first heard about it I thought it was a remake of that Korean film lol.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by exanda kane
It's a shame that Depp is Dillinger and Bale is the agent bringing him down. It would work better the other way.

Agreed.

Although they're both pretty versatile so it should still be quality.

exanda kane
Nah, I don't rate Johnny Depp all that well as a versatile actor, for example look at him in Donnie Brasco (a supposed human character) and he is just plain wooden. Not that I want to jump on the "Let's all hate Depp because his is popular" bandwagon, but I just don't happen to think he'll pull it off very well. Which is bad unless Dillinger is a pantomine supervillain in this.

I do hope I am wrong though.

exanda kane
Cast is swelling with solid actors now: Stephen Graham is in it. Legend.

SnakeEyes
First screenshots: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/30/first-official-look-michael-manns-public-enemies/

NonSensi-Klown
Johnny Depp and Christian Bale?

Oh snap.

cloud102
Depp is the man and easily the best actor of his generation. Bale is up there too. Hopefully we get a teaser soon.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ooo, the trailer's out! More Mann movie marvelousness momentarily:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/p/Public-Enemies/index-6529465.html

Looks the bomb, yo. Cool as yer like, cinematography to make angels weep, and a sick, sick setting.

MildPossession
It does look rather lovely.

SnakeEyes
Yeah, I watched the trailer yesterday. Looks badass.

SnakeEyes
Saw this film last night.

It was good. I'm hesitant to say it was great though. As of now I'd probably give it an 8/10. Johnny Depp was fantastic, Bale was adequate (he had much less to work with), Cotillard was also adequate. The HD cinematography really worked for me, I dug it; there were some excellent shootouts in the film.

However, I wish they'd developed Depp and Cotillard's relationship more. They convey that they care for each other, but they don't build it up or go into enough detail; there's not enough "meat" there, if you will. Also, I would've like to see WHY the public looked up to Dillinger. They mention it, but they never explain it. Other than that, I wish they would've done a bit more with Melvin Purvis (Bale's character); it seems like he was conflicted in his job of pursuing Dillinger, because he risked losing his men and credibility if he didn't succeed, but they only touch on this.

Anyway, solid film, worth watching. Certainly better than Transformers and I maybe liked it better than say... Up or Drag Me to Hell (and I really liked those two). Maybe. Not quite sure yet, I may have to see it again before I cement my opinion.

Go see it for Depp, for the shootouts, for the raw/visceral cinematography and the jail breaks. But don't expect a large amount of drama. Drama that, I think, would've elevated this movie to "great" status.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
It was good. I'm hesitant to say it was great though. Roger Ebert said the same thing in his review.

jcvaldez
I just saw the movie... I walked out. It was not because of the acting. Johnny Depp and Christian Bale did a great job like always. Michael Mann is a terrible director. All the shots were close up shots. The editing was horrible. The lighting was terrible, the audio would go in and out. The camera moved to much and the blur was annoying. It gave me a headache. I felt like I just got off the mission space ride at Disney. The movie sucked

I can tell it was not made on film. The movie looked like it was shot on a digital camera and made for Bluray rather than made for the theaters. I hope this film making trend ends soon or at least keep the look and quality of traditional film stock.

Aside from all this the movie had good acting. The cinematographer did a descent job. And the premise was good. But it wasn't enough to make a good film. And since I left within the first hour, I can't judge the entire film. But because of everything mentioned before, I know I didn't miss much.

SnakeEyes
Weird, the sound was funky at my screening as well. I just figured something was wrong with the theater's sound system. If the sound is messed up on the DVD, I'll be pissed.

Anyway, Mann is NOT a terrible director. Just thought I should get that out there. I didn't notice anything wrong with the lighting and personally, I liked the HD cinematography/close-ups, especially during the shoot-outs, considering that it felt like I was part of the film during those scenes, instead of watching something blatantly choreographed. But, since you left an hour into the film, you didn't even see the best shoot-out anyway.

If the cinematography/camera-work literally gave you a headache, then I can understand you leaving, but otherwise, you should've stayed to finish the movie.

Originally posted by Darth Martin
Roger Ebert said the same thing in his review.

I'll have to read it!

Robtard
Flick was meh, didn't have anything impressive or outstanding. Bale was pretty dull, Depp was okay at best.

Out of 5, I'd say 2, maybe 2.5

SnakeEyes
Depp was okay at best? Did you also walk out an hour into it?

MildPossession
The sound/dialogue volume seems to come up a lot in reviews, music is far too loud that you don't hear what some of the characters say sometimes apparently.

SnakeEyes
This is not good. no

Kovacs86
I saw this on Saturday night. I went with huge expectations, having read Empire's ridiculously enthusiastic review, and Heat is one of my favourite films. While I did think it was a good film, I couldn't help feeling slightly disappointed. The film didn't emotionally involve me as much as I expected, and the characters just weren't as interesting as Vincent Hannah and Neil Macauley in Heat, or Geoffrey Wigand in The Insider.

I did think Johnny Depp was very good, and Christian Bale played his role pretty well (in fact, I had no problems with any of the cast) but I didn't care about the characters enough; partly because I knew what was coming, partly because the film felt very detached from the main characters. Doubtless, I thought it was a good film on an intellectual level, with some quite good points, including those on Dillinger's decline into insignificance.

I'd probably give the film an 8.5/10; I did enjoy it, and I did think it had a lot of significant qualities. I also think I'd probably enjoy it more on a second viewing, as there was quite a lot to take in.

The Nuul
I heard nothing really good about this one. A renter for me.

Kovacs86
It's about a million times better than anything else out right now. Considering the top 5 in the box office are Transformers 2, Harry Potter, Ice Age, Bruno and the Hangover, this is unsurprising. I'd definitely recommend seeing it in the cinema. It's no Heat, but Michael Mann's worth a million Michael Bays.

Mr Parker
seen it,pretty good movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.