can you feal so much emotional pain that you cant even feal yourself?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonheartmm
yea, just what i asked. also, do you beleive{cognitively/spiritually/bio or neurochemically} that any person can truly lose "all" hope? thnx

inimalist
there is a condition in animal behaviour called learned helplessness. If you put an animal in a situation where it is constantly shocked, it will first start to escape and become very violent. After it is clear there is no escape, the animal will stop trying, and will continue to be shocked willingly even if the opportunity to escape presents itself.

leonheartmm
^but im not talking about learned helplessness. that is just letting go of ONE type of hope. i.e. escaping a specified predicament/situation. but im talking about hope here as in ALL hope concerning everything you have hope about. hope as a fealing/emotion. learned helplessness is more of a behaviour.

Quark_666
Originally posted by leonheartmm
yea, just what i asked. also, do you beleive{cognitively/spiritually/bio or neurochemically} that any person can truly lose "all" hope? thnx

Not in any of those ways, but maybe neurospiritually laughing out loud

Mindship
do you beleive...that any person can truly lose "all" hope? Sounds like depression.

GCG
feal as in feel or feal as in heal?

Symmetric Chaos

Theoretically yes. IIRC it is the fourth step of traditional brainwashing.

Quark_666
Originally posted by Mindship
Sounds like depression.

I think Leon's question about losing all hope involves more than depression. I suspect that if all hope were actually lost, a person would not even be aware that he is hopeless.

Mindship
Originally posted by Quark_666
I think Leon's question about losing all hope involves more than depression. I suspect that if all hope were actually lost, a person would not even be aware that he is hopeless. H'm. I didn't interpret the question that way. However, clinical depression can involve emotional numbness/denial/apathy (though it is certainly not the only state which can do so). Paradoxically, it can even lead to elation when suicide is contemplated. Suicide--the anticipated freedom from emotional pain, against which numbness is a temporary, incomplete fix--returns a sense of control and hope.

Deja~vu
yea, just what i asked. also, do you beleive{cognitively/spiritually/bio or neurochemically} that any person can truly lose "all" hope? thnx Yes, but it's your choice.

leonheartmm
^what if u rent responsible for it.

Cornlady
I think you can loose all hope, (I hope no one on here does) and I believe that is called depression.

lord xyz
yea, just what i asked. also, do you beleive{cognitively/spiritually/bio or neurochemically} that any person can truly lose "all" hope? thnx What do you mean feel yourself?

yes you can lose all hope most people I know refer to it as depression, you can also regain hope.

Atlantis001
The self is the image/idea we create for ourselves of what we are. Its our identity. That identity can lose hope, and we can lose hope if we give attention to that identity.

People could try to give up being themselves. Its always the self who loses hope.

leonheartmm
no, i mean, like, "SENSE OF EXISTANCE" , as in the FEALING of being aware/existing which so many call soul etc.

leonheartmm
bump

DigiMark007
Don't teach a child what hope is, and bring them up in an environment that is devoid of meaningful stimuli that would lead to such emotions. And yeah, they'll have no hope.

It's possible to be devoid of ANY emotion, provided it isn't linked directly to brain states caused by evolutionary programming. Even then, say with crying when a child is hungry, they don't "desire" it unless they know what it means to desire...it's just a rote bio-chemical response that happens because natural selection has favored genes that trigger such responses. The response is entirely extrinsically causal, and requires no formal emotion.

It's impossible in a practical sense due to the way we live our lives, but as long as we're talking in hypotheticals there's no real problem with doing it.

Quark_666
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Don't teach a child what hope is, and bring them up in an environment that is devoid of meaningful stimuli that would lead to such emotions. And yeah, they'll have no hope.

It's really hard for me to understand what you (and others) mean by "teach a child what hope is" or any other emotion for that matter.

How to you "teach hope"?

DigiMark007
It's really hard for me to understand what you (and others) mean by "teach a child what hope is" or any other emotion for that matter.

How to you "teach hope"?

The word/concept/etc. At birth a child cannot hope because they have no frame of reference with which to experience "hope." Thus, a state can exist where hope is non-existent and impossible to have.

Like I said, impossible in practical terms because a child will stumble on "hope" in their life even if the word isn't formally introduced, but in a hypothetical situation (which would probably have to be devoid of any meaningful stimuli) it's possible.

Mindship

How to you "teach hope"? I don't think it needs to be taught. We learn to recognize it, to label it, but I don't think it's something we learn, per se, anymore than we learn anger. Perhaps teaching hope means pointing out what situations warrant anticipating a positive outcome (but then, isn't that "giving one hope"?).

leonheartmm
but what about the question im asking?

Quark_666
but what about the question im asking?

My answer is yes. I think so.

lord xyz
no, i mean, like, "SENSE OF EXISTANCE" , as in the FEALING of being aware/existing which so many call soul etc. FEEL

leonheartmm
have you ever?

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by lord xyz
FEEL

Thank you.

lord xyz
have you ever? I've felt, yes.

Deja~vu
I think Tommy got over it, didn't he?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.