Does The Ring have subliminal messages?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ghostgirl
eek! I got really sick watching The Ring. I thought that maybe the movie was evil wink but I spoke with someone who runs the reels and he said there were a lot of people complaining about feeling sick while watching it.

I wonder if we were being subjected to subliminal images in the film that made us feel queasy.

Any thoughts?

Baby's Breath the Movie

Mujaffa
well the last thing you see before you die is the ring

BackFire349
you people just have weak stomachs, i could name several horror movies that would make you sick im sure, much worse then the ring.

Ushgarak
I don't think that is how it was meant- not sick at what they saw, just unaccountably sick afterwards. There is little conventionally about Ring to make you sick.

finti
do people fall for that

BackFire349
sounds pretty stupid to me. if anything its the raw film they used to make the film. or else they eat that damn theater popcorn

Dim
Probably has more to do with nerves..

BackFire349
yes, damn horror rookies.

mah
I can take all the blood, guts, gore and brain-eating there is, but I get a bit jumpy when there's suspense involved.

BackFire349
there hasnt been suspesne in a horror movie in years. they're all just simple jump scenes. well....blair witch had some suspense.

Julie
I doubt it.....they could feel sick jsut becuase of some of the scenes...you know when the video was shown everything is collageish and spinning......
BTW did you see the ring in the corner of the screen at some time?

steve-o
Backfire!? Is that Texas Chainsaw Massacre as ur sig?! That movie was so fu*ked up- but cool. rolling on floor laughing

BackFire349
yes it is, best horror movie ever made.

megajune
Check out this link. Read the production notes from the director. He talks about putting things in the movie "that leaves residual effects".
He used sublininal messaging to scare the audience and keep them scared after they made it home. Really! He did! Read the production notes, you doubtful jerks!!!! Just kiddingsmile
http://www.ring-themovie.com/main.html

Now, in the movie The Exorcist, a devils face would appear in certain seens, but only for one frame. If anybody who reads this has a DVD player and the exorist, run the psychologists seen, when linda bliar grabs the mans crotch, a devils face flashes on the screen for just one frame - .02 of a second. For some reason this seen freaks everybody out, it scares them and they don't know why. Well now you know; there's a sublininal messagesmile Use your dvd players ability to run the movie one frame at a time, and you'll see it. Not that scary, but it's something fun to show your friends.

Hey JULLIE, I saw a ring in the corner of the screen tosmile

Ghostgirl
I knew it! I felt so sick in that movie. Now we know.

mahdi
I believe that ring does have some subliminal messages. I did feel a bit queasy when I left the theatres but it could have just been nerves or all in my head. My friend also complained of slight stomach uneasiness. Who knows. I believe that the images and the sounds do alter the mind and body some how. Also, things happen so quick in the movie that sometimes you don't see some of the images. For instance (and I've mentioned this in another post), when the movie is about to begin and they show the Dreamworks logo, the ring flashes in the "D" of Dreamworks. The ring also flashes many times throughout the movie in between frames for only a split second.

Ghostgirl
Yes, I am still a believer that The Ring had subliminal messages! Saw Final Destination 2 yesterday and that movie was funny! I was laughing and going "ooouuuuh" more than anything! No subliminal messages there! smile

BOPRecruit 16
if there were messages, someone would've notice it sooner. i saw it with a bunch of friends, we came out okay. maybe some people are just more sensitive than others.

BackFire349
well ill find out in a few days when i rent it.

mahdi
I have a feeling it's not going to be the same when you rent it. It's one of those movies that are awesome on the big screen. I dunno, maybe it will be really spooky if you rent it on tape....you know since it's about a tape and all...

Machine
hello am a theater manager and i am also a projectionist and i have never heard of such a thing

BackFire349
i just watched it, felt fine after, plus i didnt think it was scary at all. high over rated.

finti
like all horror movies

Ushgarak
The original is still probably better...

Julie
aren't they usually?

Ghostgirl
I spoke with a projectionist who said he had a lot of people complaining of feeling sick after The Ring as well. He said something about the sound and music and that maybe that is why it affected some people.

Corran
Machine said he'd never heard of such a thing, maybe the popcorn where your projectionist friend works is off.

Ghostgirl
mmm....maybe it's that green seasoning they sprinkle on the top! lol

Asami
Subliminal messages?! Don't watch a video tape ever again! Kekeke

has anyone seen the original? Dead people don't look mouldy, I think thats where the Hollywood version did a good job big grin

However there were quite a few changes.

Its always better to see the original just like reading books that get adapted into movies.

The original should have been given a chance for big screen, it would ahve been worthit

BackFire349
i didnt care for the remake, i doubt ill care for the original.

Tex
I just rented the Ring as I speak, hope its as good as I've heard.

Ghostgirl
okay so I bought The Ring on DVD today. I will see if it has the same affect it did last Halloween! eek!

Hey Baby's Breath is listed on IMDb.com now!

Thanks!

ObieTrice 26
Hi every1 I'm new and I would like 2 say th ring dus have sublimianal messages.My vcr can advane frame by frame and i had just finished the part were the horse jumps off the boat and when I paused it i saw the ring inbetween 2 frames.it's unnerving

BackFire349
i felt fine after watching it.

Corran
Me too, although I have not answered a telephone since.

Senor_Pessoba
i was dissapointed in this movie, after everything I heard about it...it wasnt scary at all...could have been better

chico23
I liked it not as much as I thought I would but I did like it.

Senor_Pessoba
yeah..it was OKAY....

tWzDjUgGaLeTtE
Actually they can use a thing called back masking. It is where when you play the audio backwards it says things. Its actually in a lot of popular songs. (mostly golden oldies) such as Hotel California, Many michael jackson songs, and Abbey road(paul is dead was the message) by the beatles. There are subliminal messages in the Lion King (in the sky it says "sex" the the stars and clouds once) and Aladdin (in one part there is a back track that says "take off your shirt take off your pants"wink too. We are constantly being sent messages that our subconsious recieves without us conciously knowing it. So... it is possible that The Ring could have subliminal messages. Or people could just have weak stomachs. : )

plenTpak52
Actually I am almost positive that there is a subliminal message in the Ring when they open the closet and you see the dead girl. I could not watch that part, as i have a weak spot for dead corpses (and nothing else), And I did not think that movie was scary. However, everyone I know said that that movie was one of the scariest they'v seen. They, of course, saw the dead body. Interesting...

OvidiuZ
Hi all. I'm General Maneger at an organisation that is searching for subliminal messages....

I wanna say, that, The Ring has very much subliminal messages. They are scenes with blood, horror, I don't know how to tell what this messages are, but... They're, ****... you can tell those are scenes from a satanic ritual.... I can not belive this movie was at cinema all over... If you don't belive me, take a software, and see every frame... start from finish, you'll find faster something...

P.S. I have a question:

Why?

Greek_girl
i dont know why!?!

but i look like the little girl in the ring and i scare myself in the mirror when its dark because i look like her so much!!!

oh welll

Greek_girl
so wat do u think about that then???

Greek_girl
well?

Kes
In cinema you have 24 photo-grams (not sure this is spelled right or if its even the right word, I translated has best I could and found ths word tru spell check) per second. Thou you dont see them separately you do see them. Your subconscious captures them. It helps create terror, which is what a horror movie is suppose to do. Thats my take on it wink

Kes
Oh and moving to horror movies.
moving--moved

Espantada20
I actually don't believe there are subliminal messages in there to make you feel sick.I didn't feel sick after I saw it.I think the effect of the flashing scenes in the "tape" of the ring is like the effect you get when you're in a dark room with strobe lights.It makes you dizzy andsometimes nauseated.Maybe that is why you felt sick.That's just my opinion.There are a lot of people who did not get sick from watching the Ring and I think the strobe light scenarios would be the best conclusion.

xblanex
yea the subliminal message was you wated your money on a shitty ass movie thats why you felt sick.

Espantada20
Hee hee hee.Love your original response Xblanex.Hee hee hee.I still think it's the strobe light effect though.

HockeyFace
Actually it may just be that your eyes hurt after watching a movie in the dark... that is not good for the eyes.

Espantada20
I think it's just the same effect as when youre in a dark room with strobe lights on.They make you dizzy.Scenes in the movie are the same way.I don't think it's due to subliminal messages.

HockeyFace
Wait1 Maybe the subliminal messages are telling me it is not subliminal messages but lights! Maybe the subliminal messages are telling me to think that they are subliminal messages but they relly aren't! Maybe... oh wait I never saw the movie!

Darkweaver
Yes, The Ring does contain some "subliminal" messages, mostly by the flashing of The Ring itself in between certain portions of the film. A friend of mine claimed that she kept seeing shadowy figures for about a few days after seeing the film. In all reality, the movie is just a movie directed by one Gore Verbinski (who also did Pirates Of The Carribean).

When I first saw it, I really liked it and didn't get sick (I was also eating while watching it) and in fact had good vibes off it... Oh yeah, I also fell in love with Becca. If that movie has had any impact on me, it's got me obsessed with the actress who played Becca. Heh.

Darkweaver
BTW, anyone interested in reading others experiences on the effects of seeing The Ring should check out these two threads on Ringworld:

The Ring - hazardous to your health?
Anyone having weird experiences since seeing the movie?

Espantada20
You guys are ****ing retarded.You need to stop reading so much into it.It's a movie.Get over it.Here's a subliminal message: "Who gives a **** anymore?"

BackFire
I watched the movie and I didn't see anything strange.

Espantada20
Me neither,Backfire.

katie_x
They flashed the ring once quickly after a scene, I caught that the second time I watched iit but not the first, and they had a ring in the corner of the screen a few times.

Espantada20
And?Are you sick?

Darkweaver
One of the scenes where The Ring flashes is right after the boat scene where the horse dives into the water. There's other parts as well.

Espantada20
Duh.We've seen it.But did you get sick?

Darkweaver
I answered that in a previous post. I did not get sick. Quite the opposite actually.

girneto^_^
I bought the ring on DVD, I love the easter egg *in the middle of the chair on the root menu*. However, that was a long time ago, and im still alive, sooo lmao.. anyways, The original, Ringu, is apparently pretty damn good, has a cult following in Japan, and also a series. Look it up. ^_^

eggmayo
Does anyone know any other horror movies with subliminal messages in?

darkesthorror
There are three obvious answers, One they just have a weak stomach, Two they get nociuos or feel funny through seeing flashing lights, images, strange imagery and morphs, blurring, and optical illusions, Three is that it's just hysteria, like for example if your walking home alone in the dark and you think you see something and the more you think about it the worse it get's and if you here something you might get spooked and start running for your house, by running your just creates more illusion you'll think that you here something after you or you'll think you see something, but most likely your just seeing shadows play off of objects. Eggmayo, yes there are actually subliminal messages in alot of movies, not to the extent of hurting someone, but just for instance selling products, there is actually a name for that, but I can't remember.

samhain
I thought that was the scene where Father Karras is dreaming about his mother, when she walks out of the subway the face pops up. I've never spotted that other one.

samhain
I hope you don't mean the reel change signals in the corner of the screen, that is in all movies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.