Talk about a modern day Big Brother

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Naz
Alright, well I'm sure most of you are fimiliar with Facebook. I myself have a Facebook account. As does my German teacher in order to stay connected with her students who have gone off to college and grad school and also with her current students. I've facebook'd Frau before asking for her help with the gaddamned passive voice. Well, today in class Frau asked us to all gather around her desk because she had a tidbit of information about administration she'd like to let us in on, as she often does.

Well, apparently, our principal, with the help of this employed computer nerds were able to hack their way into Facebook and now have the ability to bring up anyone's account and can even look at one's message inbox, which for those of you without Facebook, is the exact same deal as the KMC PM inbox.

Frau was called down to the principal's office where he had her Facebook page on his computer screen and proceeded to lecture her about how it was extremely unprofessional and was setting a bad image for students. Also, Frau has some of the many Facebook applications that are purely fun in nature. The principal said that this was promoting alcohol use among the students. She was forced to remove said applications while in the office and was lectured some more.

From what Frau told us, the principal not only can access any student's Facebook account and read their private messages, he does so very often, all in the name of "protecting" us. The principal thinks that by monitoring our facebook accounts and what we say to our friends in our own personal time he can detect students "in need" that are "crying out for help" through Facebook.

Has anyone else heard of this? I was completely blown away when she told us this, this can't be in anyway legal can it?

jaden101
facebook is already in the shit because once you're in it you cant get out again...even if you delete your account they keep all your details and uploaded pics and stuff...and as most capitalists do...sell your data to whoever is buying

they are scum...

but that's pretty mad stuff though...security seriously needs to be tidied up on online social networking sites

GCG
Your german teacher should initiate grievance procedures immediatly after having any attempt to assert herself on the issue failed.

inimalist
ya, facebook is just another example of how willing people are to all but strip themselves of any privacy rights. If you didn't assume this (and the same thing being done by police/government/corporations/marketers) was already being done, you should rip the modem out of your wall.

chithappens
... I don't have anything too bad on there, I don't think.

BRB!

dadudemon
Naz, that sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

The student should all protest against him. Sign a petition for unfairness or something like that.

Right off the bat, that principal sounds like a pedophile. That's pretty damned creepy, imo.

If I was your father, I would demand that he allow you your privacy.

There has got to be some sort of law that can protect you from this...if not, a law needs to be created.

Devil King
Originally posted by Naz
Alright, well I'm sure most of you are fimiliar with Facebook. I myself have a Facebook account. As does my German teacher in order to stay connected with her students who have gone off to college and grad school and also with her current students. I've facebook'd Frau before asking for her help with the gaddamned passive voice. Well, today in class Frau asked us to all gather around her desk because she had a tidbit of information about administration she'd like to let us in on, as she often does.

Well, apparently, our principal, with the help of this employed computer nerds were able to hack their way into Facebook and now have the ability to bring up anyone's account and can even look at one's message inbox, which for those of you without Facebook, is the exact same deal as the KMC PM inbox.

Frau was called down to the principal's office where he had her Facebook page on his computer screen and proceeded to lecture her about how it was extremely unprofessional and was setting a bad image for students. Also, Frau has some of the many Facebook applications that are purely fun in nature. The principal said that this was promoting alcohol use among the students. She was forced to remove said applications while in the office and was lectured some more.

From what Frau told us, the principal not only can access any student's Facebook account and read their private messages, he does so very often, all in the name of "protecting" us. The principal thinks that by monitoring our facebook accounts and what we say to our friends in our own personal time he can detect students "in need" that are "crying out for help" through Facebook.

Has anyone else heard of this? I was completely blown away when she told us this, this can't be in anyway legal can it?

does she seek out current students on facebook?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Naz
Frau

My first thought was Frau Farbissina, Dr. Evil's henchwoman.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
My first thought was Frau Farbissina, Dr. Evil's henchwoman.

Really? My first thought was "what a clever pseudonym."

Anyway I'm pretty sure what the principle did was illegal if they had to hack into the site to do it. You probably can (and should) sue for invasion of privacy.

Naz
Originally posted by dadudemon
Naz, that sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

The student should all protest against him. Sign a petition for unfairness or something like that.

Right off the bat, that principal sounds like a pedophile. That's pretty damned creepy, imo.

If I was your father, I would demand that he allow you your privacy.

There has got to be some sort of law that can protect you from this...if not, a law needs to be created.

My parents were concerned it was illegal, but my dad thinks that Facebook is probably selling access to school pincipals since everything on facebook is grouped by school networks. But yeah, it is really creepy, my principal doesn't need to know what I do on the weekends or what I'm saying to my friends.

Creshosk
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/rules/reckless.htm
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/juvenileSentboston.htm
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/chavetArrest.htm

Hacking is illegal.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Creshosk
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/rules/reckless.htm
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/juvenileSentboston.htm
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/chavetArrest.htm

Hacking is illegal.

1. A REAL hacker usually doesn't get caught...you really have to be a novice to get caught or you weren't paying attention to what you were doing that day.
2. In those three instances, they were intentionally causing harm...in Naz's case, the principal is calling it "a good" cause. I know that this point can be argued very well...but to argue this point would be to misinterpret what I mean by it.
3. There are probably some parents who like this...which points back to my point #2.

I have already made quite clear what I think about this situation...so don't get me wrong on the interpretation of this post.

Outbound
1. Set up a new Facebook account posing as your principal.
2. Post nude pictures of young girls.
3. ????
4. PROFIT

Seriously though, if you're not using Facebook at school tell your principal to GTFO the internet.

inimalist
Only facebook would have the right to pursue legal action.

The teacher willingly put all that stuff on the internet and the actions of teachers outside of class is highly controlled, this is not new.

It also depends how "hacked" is being used here. If all he did was find out some passwords and didn't attack the site, there may be no legal recourse.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Naz

Please give me your principal's information.

Name, address, birthday, city, school network, etc.

Ushgarak
It's garbage. The chances of this being a hacking job are just about zero. This is just one in a crowd of bullshit that gets exaggerated oin each telling.

But as far as them being able to view your profiles is concerned- they just have to be in the same network.

BackFire
Facebook is gay.

Just use AIM or MSN messenger or something. Even myspace.

Also, beat up the principal.

=Tired Hiker=
Naz, you and the other students should write messages to eachother about how the principal used to ask you guys into his office where he'd start touching you and dry humping you, and how he wanted to take pictures of you wearing a French maid's outfit and that he begged you one time to urinate on him while he pinched his nipples. See who he shows those messages to.

Neo Darkhalen
I suggest that you find another site or MSN/E-mail for your teacher's studies.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Naz
Alright, well I'm sure most of you are fimiliar with Facebook.

I don't have the slightest clue as to what "Facebook" is....(honestly)

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ushgarak
It's garbage. The chances of this being a hacking job are just about zero. This is just one in a crowd of bullshit that gets exaggerated oin each telling.

But as far as them being able to view your profiles is concerned- they just have to be in the same network.

When you sign in, it is not "https" meaning there is not secure data stream...meaning the data can be captured and interpreted....meaning their usernames and passwords can be captured.

After I read Naz's post and made my post, I checked the logon screen out and at no point are you communicating with a secure connection. (TLS or SSL 3 are never employed...)

It may not have ended up being gossip exaggeration at all; it would seem that this is rather "easy" to hack...especially if the students are logging in on through the schools LAN.

Da Pittman may know a little bit more about this because he actually designs websites so I am sure he has setup a few to function securely...(digital certificates, etc.)

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I don't have the slightest clue as to what "Facebook" is....(honestly)

Some sort of social site, like Myspace.

Joe K
If you have to use a password to sign on to anything, then that right there is showing that it is private.
The principal should not be able to check your stuff, it's kind of like the myspace deal, you use comments because you dont care who see's what your talking about, but you use messages because you dont want anyone to read the conversation.
I think that is illegal what he is doing, and you should contact someone immediately, even if you have to contact facebook, just do it.
IMO that's wrong.

inimalist
When you sign in, it is not "https" meaning there is not secure data stream...meaning the data can be captured and interpreted....meaning their usernames and passwords can be captured.

After I read Naz's post and made my post, I checked the logon screen out and at no point are you communicating with a secure connection. (TLS or SSL 3 are never employed...)

It may not have ended up being gossip exaggeration at all; it would seem that this is rather "easy" to hack...especially if the students are logging in on through the schools LAN.

Da Pittman may know a little bit more about this because he actually designs websites so I am sure he has setup a few to function securely...(digital certificates, etc.)

if kids are logging on from school, wouldn't the login data be on the network for the taking? Or would one need a keystroke recorder to get it?

Ushgarak

Sorry, but no. I do not buy this for one tiny second. Sites like this are under constant hacking pressure and by overwhelming demand have become secure as a result. If there ever is a security hole in sites like this- as sometimes happens- it is based on typing in a certain URL. It is NEVER about the passwords being hackable.

If the students are letitng their passwords get keylogged on the school's LAN that MAY be different- and nothing at all to do with Facebook security- but frankly that would be information overload and I still don't buy it.

Garbage, all of it. and that being the case, quit trashing the principal.

I cannot believe how credulous people are about this sort of thing.

The only thing Naz has mentioned that cannot be done by simply looking at someone's profile is the viewing of the message inbox. It is far, FAR more likely that this part of the story has been exaggerated or misunderstood than it is to be the result of hacking.

Without proof this is all just empty nonsense. We only have a second hand report of a biased source saying this is so- why on Earth are people being so ready to accept it? This kind of uncritical approach to issues is what leads to things like the Conspiracy forum.

That people can face professional censure for ther Facebook profiles- as happens rather a lot, it was in the news about a gay policeman denied prmotion based on his profile just today- is a shame. But that's no reason to spread hacking scare stories without evidence.

inimalist
Originally posted by Joe K
I think that is illegal what he is doing,

what law are they breaking?

Bardock42
Sorry, but no. I do not buy this for one tiny second. Sites like this are under constant hacking pressure and by overwhelming demand have become secure as a result. If there ever is a security hole in sites like this- as sometimes happens- it is based on typing in a certain URL. It is NEVER about the passwords being hackable.

If the students are letitng their passwords get keylogged on the school's LAN that MAY be different- and nothing at all to do with Facebook security- but frankly that would be information overload and I still don't buy it.

The only thing Naz has mentioned that cannot be done by simply looking at someone's profile is the viewing of the message inbox. It is far, FAR more likely that this part of the story has been exaggerated or misunderstood than it is to be the result of hacking.

Without proof this is all just empty nonsense. We only have a second hand report of a biased source saying this is so- why on Earth are people being so ready to accept it? This kind of uncritical approach to issues is what leads to things like the Conspiracy forum.

That people can face professional censure for ther Facebook profiles- as happens rather a lot, it was in the news about a gay policeman denied prmotion based on his profile just today- is a shame. But that's no reason to spread hacking scare stories without evidence. Though I agree, I would still say that if that is a public school, the headmaster has no right to tell the teacher what to do with her personal life.

Ushgarak
Yes, I agree.

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
Though I agree, I would still say that if that is a public school, the headmaster has no right to tell the teacher what to do with her personal life.

depends on how you are using "right"

If you mean that the teacher should have the "right" to do what they want with their own time, sure, I'm mostly in agreement (I'm sure we can all think of abuses of the system that easily should result in the headmaster being justified in taking some action).

If you mean that the principal doesn't have the legal right, that is incorrect (at least where I'm from). The higher the grade or academic institution, the more loose the guidelines, but certainly primary and high school teachers are required to maintain some type of decorum outside of the class (whether you agree with it or not). I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but, I couldn't imagine a school that knowingly allowed their teachers to do drugs.

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
depends on how you are using "right"

If you mean that the teacher should have the "right" to do what they want with their own time, sure, I'm mostly in agreement (I'm sure we can all think of abuses of the system that easily should result in the headmaster being justified in taking some action).

If you mean that the principal doesn't have the legal right, that is incorrect (at least where I'm from). The higher the grade or academic institution, the more loose the guidelines, but certainly primary and high school teachers are required to maintain some type of decorum outside of the class (whether you agree with it or not). I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but, I couldn't imagine a school that knowingly allowed their teachers to do drugs. I mean it in a moral sense.

The government should not have the right to dictate your life outside school by employment (including drugs). Obviously if something interferes with their performance on the job that's another thing.

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
I mean it in a moral sense.

The government should not have the right to dictate your life outside school by employment (including drugs). Obviously if something interferes with their performance on the job that's another thing.

I agree mostly, and obviously in this case

stuff like sexual relations with students, bribery, etc wouldn't be ok, but ya, that is probably covered under interfering with performance

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Some sort of social site, like Myspace.

To socialize is a good thing.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
if kids are logging on from school, wouldn't the login data be on the network for the taking? Or would one need a keystroke recorder to get it?

Exactly...they call those things "keyloggers". Also, data on the school LAN targeted for outside of the school's LAN is all accessible as long as it isn't encrypted.(If it is encrypted, usually on the intended target can decrypt the data.) There is ridiculous amounts of data that can be captured because a lot of it will be clear text or can be interpreted to fit "monitoring" purposes.

That people can face professional censure for ther Facebook profiles- as happens rather a lot, it was in the news about a gay policeman denied prmotion based on his profile just today- is a shame. But that's no reason to spread hacking scare stories without evidence.

No, dude, you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying the people are hacking the Facebook profile servers, but rather, people can capture data en route to authenticate with Facebook....hence my saying:

"When you sign in, it is not "https" meaning there is not secure data stream...meaning the data can be captured and interpreted....meaning their usernames and passwords can be captured."

Dude, all of that data is "capture-able" on the School's LAN if the packet headers and payload are not encrypted. (Which is what IPSec does...)

Also, whenever you use a network that does not belong to you, you should be aware that the owner of that resource has the right to monitor your "activities". However, this principal should not be allowed to view data that is beyond his LAN.

inimalist
Exactly...they call those things "keyloggers". Also, data on the school LAN targeted for outside of the school's LAN is all accessible as long as it isn't encrypted.(If it is encrypted, usually on the intended target can decrypt the data.) There is ridiculous amounts of data that can be captured because a lot of it will be clear text or can be interpreted to fit "monitoring" purposes.

I know its cliche, but I had always just assumed that anything I ever put on the internet, private or not, was accessible pretty much as if I were yelling it down the street.

I don't see why kids these days don't get that.

Ushgarak

No, dude, you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying the people are hacking the Facebook profile servers, but rather, people can capture data en route to authenticate with Facebook....hence my saying:

"When you sign in, it is not "https" meaning there is not secure data stream...meaning the data can be captured and interpreted....meaning their usernames and passwords can be captured."

Dude, all of that data is "capture-able" on the School's LAN if the packet headers and payload are not encrypted. (Which is what IPSec does...)

Also, whenever you use a network that does not belong to you, you should be aware that the owner of that resource has the right to monitor your "activities". However, this principal should not be allowed to view data that is beyond his LAN.

It's still a huge amount of work to be done to get the correct data. And that's assuming the school allows Facebook access, which is not that common.

Fact of the matter still is- this appears to be uncorroborated nonsense. He's just been looking at profiles, is all.

Lana
Yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of this.

Probably far more likely that the teacher had her profile set on public and the principal found it thanks to google (seriously, you'd be surprised what you can find is public by googling your name). She probably freaked and assumed the principal had managed to hack facebook or something.

dadudemon
It's still a huge amount of work to be done to get the correct data. And that's assuming the school allows Facebook access, which is not that common.

Fact of the matter still is- this appears to be uncorroborated nonsense. He's just been looking at profiles, is all.

I think I see what you were saying now. Naz did say that he hired some goons....but I highly doubt those goons would have been able to hack the Facebook servers. I think that is what you were talking about.

I was talking about "packet sniffers" and you addressed that in your first paragraph of your above post.

Even wading through all of the logs from the captured data from the packet sniffer you have employed would NOT be very difficult to do. If you are on the same LAN as I am, and you log into a server that is outside of a LAN and I am using a packet sniffer on the LAN, I could quickly capture your credentials and use them when ever I wanted...depending on how the LAN is put together. This is why encrypting items like that would be important.

Maybe I am taking too many liberties on how I am interpreting Naz's post, but I think that by "hacking their way into facebook" she means they are "hacking" profiles. And you are thinking that they hacked the servers. Not that Naz doesn't know what she's talking about, but people throw around the word "hack" a bit too much and in the wrong ways so that is what I assumed when I read her post. From what she was describing, it looks like she meant that the "goons" just simply captured their credentials. (Why do I feel like a broken record in these post? sad)

Originally posted by Lana
Yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of this.

Probably far more likely that the teacher had her profile set on public and the principal found it thanks to google (seriously, you'd be surprised what you can find is public by googling your name). She probably freaked and assumed the principal had managed to hack facebook or something.

I wonder what the whole story is? It could very well have been what you are describing.

chillmeistergen
Sounds like a load of shit to me. There's always stories going around like this in schools, and they're always utter bollocks. Carry on visiting Facebook in and out of school, it's their problem if they don't filter it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.