Spanking Raises Chances of Risky, Deviant Sexual Behavior

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam_PoE

fini
OMFG what a load of CRAP

Children are out of hand today. They are rude, irresponsible, crude, and lazy. All of these stem from not knowing about consequence.

I think the spanking this idiot is talking about is actual excessive spanking that is physical abuse. Nearly everyone from my generation got a spanking and they are all fine.

This person is looking at excessive spanking ie a severe beating that I AM SURE, was accompanied with mental and emotion abuse at least.

I see 10 yr olds who curse walking down the street, they pick fruit from our trees( which is fine) and then turn around and curse us for watching outside( since the dogs bark at them). Toddlers learn to hit their parents and continue doing it cause they are not corrected ( not to say that you have to spank a toddler, but something more useful than a loud NO )

And how would he explain, rich ,spoiled, never been hit or even shouted at ever from their parents, people who get pregnant from unprotected sex, who like kinky sex, and are aggressive.

Devil King
What's wrong with a little bit of bondage?

Adam_PoE
Nothing in my book.

lord xyz
Spanking is wrong. Bondage is great.

inimalist
Originally posted by fini
OMFG what a load of CRAP

Children are out of hand today. They are rude, irresponsible, crude, and lazy. All of these stem from not knowing about consequence.

I think the spanking this idiot is talking about is actual excessive spanking that is physical abuse. Nearly everyone from my generation got a spanking and they are all fine.

This person is looking at excessive spanking ie a severe beating that I AM SURE, was accompanied with mental and emotion abuse at least.

I see 10 yr olds who curse walking down the street, they pick fruit from our trees( which is fine) and then turn around and curse us for watching outside( since the dogs bark at them). Toddlers learn to hit their parents and continue doing it cause they are not corrected ( not to say that you have to spank a toddler, but something more useful than a loud NO )

And how would he explain, rich ,spoiled, never been hit or even shouted at ever from their parents, people who get pregnant from unprotected sex, who like kinky sex, and are aggressive.

so in other words you were spanked and are not sexually deviant

good anecdote, write it in to the council of scientists

BackFire
Spanking is stupid, lazy and pointless. There are better, more effective ways of punishing a child.

pr1983
i love that a person can get a job as a 'spanking expert'

otherwise, its bullshit.

inimalist
Originally posted by pr1983
i love that a person can get a job as a 'spanking expert'

otherwise, its bullshit.

again, such powerful arguments from the detractors

how ever will this study stand the test of peer-review

lord xyz
Originally posted by BackFire
Spanking is stupid, lazy and pointless. There are better, more effective ways of punishing a child. My personal favourite is beating them with other children.

Adam_PoE
Nearly everyone from my generation got a spanking and they are all fine.

Spanking is stupid, lazy and pointless. There are better, more effective ways of punishing a child.

vGkjmUsIFR0

Schecter

rape

BackFire
One of many options. Yes.

Schecter
...but the best option.

BackFire
It is.

Schecter
also can serve as a reward for good behavior. its a win-win

BackFire
More fun when they don't like it.

Schecter
indeed. but imagine the shock and awe when its unexpected

"look dad, i got straight A's"

*rape*

BruceSkywalker
OMFG what a load of CRAP

King Kandy
Originally posted by Devil King
What's wrong with a little bit of bondage?
Yeah seriously. This was my thought while reading this:

"People who are spanked may become interested in BSDM!"

Me: So?

inimalist
Originally posted by King Kandy
Yeah seriously. This was my thought while reading this:

Me: So?

you answered yourself

King Kandy
OMG! HOW HORRIBLE!

No not really.

inimalist
OMG! HOW HORRIBLE!

No not really.

While they do phrase it as "risk", nobody is out there saying BDSM is bad. Premarital unprotected sex and coercing people to have sex, which were also mentioned in the article, are problems however. That masochism, sexually violent behaviour, and unsafe sexual practices could be rooted in spanking is interesting though, as it would seem to indicate a connection between these behaviours, though some stuff I've seen on masochism seems to indicate, much like you said, there is nothing psychologically wrong with it.

The studies looked at in the meta analysis which the press release that this news article is based on was released for would probably not have dealt with any of the moral aspects just the correlation.

Dark-Jaxx
Fvck spanking, saw off their legs and tickle their genitalia.

inimalist
After thinking about this a bit, I see only one brilliantly glaring problem with the results, at least as they are reported in the article:

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
FA meta-analysis of spanking studies conducted by Gershoff found 93 percent agreement among studies that spanking can lead to such problems as delinquent and anti-social behavior in childhood along with aggression, criminal and anti-social behavior and spousal or child abuse as an adult.

"There's probably nothing else in child development that has 93 percent agreement in results," Straus said.

The big problem is, what is "agreement"? My assumption is that it is not a correlation, but a misinterpretation made by the reporter (this happens constantly in science). The reason I, and I ran this by my stats prof, believe this cannot be a real correlation is, as Straus puts it, nothing has a correlation of .93. I don't just mean in development, but in all human behaviour. It is such a high number to get for this type of thing that it almost certainly, were the 93% referring to a correlation, is due to methodological error. Again though, my contention is that the number does not refer to a correlation, and thus is not a problem with methods.

However, there is a second problem. If it does refer to a correlation of .93, not enough data is given, at least in the article, to make any real conclusions. There is no null hypothesis given, and no idea of how prevalent these behaviours are without spanking (actually, they do talk about hitting the spouse, which I missed the first time through). There could be a correlation of .90 or even .95 between not spanking and these same behaviours, the former making the .93 result explainable by chance alone or possibly even insignificant, the latter showing a preventative effect for spanking.

I don't believe that there is a correlation of .90 or .95 for not spanking a child and risky sexual behaviour however, and I am sure if this were based on a published article and not a presentation, meaning it were possible to look up the meta analysis, everything I have mentioned would be made abundantly clear (re: journalists are not scientists and have no idea how to report it, or are motivated to report it in such a sensational way that will sell their media).

pr1983
Originally posted by inimalist
again, such powerful arguments from the detractors

how ever will this study stand the test of peer-review

well arent you mister charming... erm

these so-called studies are open to massive interpretation, and it just stinks of trying yet again to classify something by finding an easy target...

inimalist
well arent you mister charming... erm

these so-called studies are open to massive interpretation, and it just stinks of trying yet again to classify something by finding an easy target...

oh, so you read a study that has yet to be published?

Were you at the presentation of this thesis?

I'm not interested in charming you, especially when you talk out of your ass

pr1983
oh, so you read a study that has yet to be published?

Were you at the presentation of this thesis?

I'm not interested in charming you, especially when you talk out of your ass

again with the charm, you flatter me... wink

i read the first post just like the rest of us, and i doubt my presence was required at the presentation, as i got the jist of it, from, you know, reading the first post... erm

that and the point that i do read up on such things, and have first hand experience of physical abuse in a household...

they take a group of people and run their study, i mean, what assurances are given that these people are all as diverse as possible?

and stuff like this:

because only the people who've been spanked badly as a child ever do those sorts of things... no offence, but you actually take that seriously?

honestly?

inimalist
again with the charm, you flatter me... wink

i read the first post just like the rest of us, and i doubt my presence was required at the presentation, as i got the jist of it, from, you know, reading the first post... erm

that and the point that i do read up on such things, and have first hand experience of physical abuse in a household...

they take a group of people and run their study, i mean, what assurances are given that these people are all as diverse as possible?

and stuff like this:

because only the people who've been spanked badly as a child ever do those sorts of things... no offence, but you actually take that seriously?

honestly?

lol, if you look above I made some criticisms too. I'm not supporting or denying the claims because the study is currently unavailable. I hope you keep up with science better than just reading news posts.

saying "this is bullshit" is a terrible argument, and shows ignorance.

Also, science is not adequately portrayed through media outlets. Quite literally, you HAVE to read a study itself to really understand what is going on. The media has the motivations you are talking about, scientists less so.

Things like "I've experienced this" or "you can't believe that" are not good arguments either.

For instance, since you seem to be highly versed in how to read and argue scientific findings, why don't you explain the dangers of meta-analysis, especially focusing on papers written by a single author? thanks, saves me the trouble. Or explaining how the agreement used in the article is a misleading statistic?

great

pr1983
lol, if you look above I made some criticisms too. I'm not supporting or denying the claims because the study is currently unavailable. I hope you keep up with science better than just reading news posts.

saying "this is bullshit" is a terrible argument, and shows ignorance.

Also, science is not adequately portrayed through media outlets. Quite literally, you HAVE to read a study itself to really understand what is going on. The media has the motivations you are talking about, scientists less so.

Things like "I've experienced this" or "you can't believe that" are not good arguments either.

For instance, since you seem to be highly versed in how to read and argue scientific findings, why don't you explain the dangers of meta-analysis, especially focusing on papers written by a single author? thanks, saves me the trouble. Or explaining how the agreement used in the article is a misleading statistic?

great

are you always this much of an ass to people?

inimalist
only on the internet

in person i'd get my teeth knocked out

pr1983
only on the internet

whatever works for you, i guess...

Devil King
only on the internet

Probally not. It's never happened to me. You'd be suprised how quickly people back down in a face to face situation.

dadudemon

I agree. I like to read up on medical studies when interesting new ones are completed, however, some of the wording used in those studies is difficult to make heads or tales of. Even after years of reading these studies, I get lost at what they are actually trying to convey when they are making a point about the data. I can't think of an example right off the top of my head, though.

Probally not. It's never happened to me. You'd be suprised how quickly people back down in a face to face situation.

Well, in inimlist's defense, you ARE the Devil King. Not everyone can be as feisty as you are, all the time.

jaden101
alriiiiiight...the 1st question i'm gonna ask at speed dating now is "were you spanked as a child"...it the answer is yes...i'm in for a good night

jaden101

have a read of this

http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.0020124

Devil King
Originally posted by dadudemon
Well, in inimlist's defense, you ARE the Devil King. Not everyone can be as feisty as you are, all the time.

It has nothing to do with who I am in person, and everything to do with confrontation in general.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Psychologists describing something as "sexually deviant"?

I'm aghast.

Also, correlation != causation. If 90% of parents spank kids, then it stands to reason that the majority of "sexual deviants"--heh, it's funny 'cause it's hypocritical--will have been spanked.

If anything, parents should be beating their children until they bleed and then rubbing salt in the wounds.

Robtard

I would gave stabbed him Laotian style, with the sharpened screwdriver I carry in my boot.

inimalist
Originally posted by jaden101
have a read of this

http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.0020124

damn, thank you smile

dadudemon
It has nothing to do with who I am in person, and everything to do with confrontation in general.

I disagree completely. In fact, I have found that "amping it up" during heated situations to the point that it becomes a confrontation, causes the situation to get out of control and then it becomes a physical.

I don't know what type of passive b****es you have these confrontations with, but they are definitely NOT typical.

Adam_PoE
I disagree completely. In fact, I have found that "amping it up" during heated situations to the point that it becomes a confrontation, causes the situation to get out of control and then it becomes a physical.

I don't know what type of passive b****es you have these confrontations with, but they are definitely NOT typical.

David and I were leaving a restaurant and a man called us "****" as we walked passed his booth. David turned around, walked over to the booth, and confronted him. At one point, I believe David even called him a ******. The man who is approximately 6" taller and 100 lbs. heavier than David was so surprised that he did not know how to respond. The point is that anyone can be a tough guy with anonymity, e.g. when someone is exiting a restaurant or from the backseat of a moving car, but far fewer can maintain that toughness face-to-face.

Symmetric Chaos

Wouldn't that make 90% into "sexual deviants"? Exactly which studies did he use for this?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
David and I were leaving a restaurant and a man called us "****" as we walked passed his booth.
Sounds pretty accurate, IMO.

ragesRemorse
OMFG what a load of CRAP

thumb up

Vinny Valentine
Spanking within reason is okay. It was used for hundreds of years, and worked fine. It's just that one case out of a hundred thousand which is abuse that causes all the ****ing commotion. Let parents deal with their kids the way they want to and everyone else can butt-the-****-out. Everyone has their own ideas of dealing with kids, and their own rituals.

dadudemon
David and I were leaving a restaurant and a man called us "****" as we walked passed his booth. David turned around, walked over to the booth, and confronted him. At one point, I believe David even called him a ******. The man who is approximately 6" taller and 100 lbs. heavier than David was so surprised that he did not know how to respond. The point is that anyone can be a tough guy with anonymity, e.g. when someone is exiting a restaurant or from the backseat of a moving car, but far fewer can maintain that toughness face-to-face.

That doesn't sound typical...especially if that bigger guy was a homophobe. Dudes can get all sorts of macho and egotistical. They think that they have to fight at the drop of a hat if there are "words" exchanged.

But good for Devil King for sticking up for himself and you... he sounds like a manly man.

Adam_PoE
That doesn't sound typical...especially if that bigger guy was a homophobe. Dudes can get all sorts of macho and egotistical. They think that they have to fight at the drop of a hat if there are "words" exchanged.

But good for Devil King for sticking up for himself and you... he sounds like a manly man.

Words were exhcanged; he called us **** as we we were walking away, and David called him a ****** to his face.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
You really need to clarify the latter censored word, f@ggot.

Also, I find it amusing how there are so many retards in this thread who think their opinions trump actual research. Not that psychology is really anything or that I agree with the findings, mind you, but it's retarded to say, "RABBLE RABBLE KIDS RABBLE OUT OF CONTROL RABBLE MORE DISCIPLINE RABBLE RABBLE!" and expect me not to call one a retard.

Devil King
I disagree completely.

So, tell us, what does your prison tatoo mean?

inimalist
with few exceptions, anyone I've ever told off in public backed down...

and I'm no macho man....

Devil King
That doesn't sound typical...

Then you strike me as someone who hasn't spent a whole lot of time being hated. Or maybe you're just one of those people who likes to hide behind annonimity.

Devil King
with few exceptions, anyone I've ever told off in public backed down...

and I'm no macho man....

Neither am I: you've only confronted women and *******!

Symmetric Chaos
What I find funny is that people focus on how the study says spanking will cause sexually "deviant" behavior and ignore that it says people will become violent or abusive.

Devil King
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
What I find funny is that people focus on how the study says spanking will cause sexually "deviant" behavior and ignore that it says people will become violent or abusive.

so, who do you stick your dick in? Freak!

dadudemon
Then you strike me as someone who hasn't spent a whole lot of time being hated. Or maybe you're just one of those people who likes to hide behind annonimity.

Half and half of both your sentences.

p.s. I was young once...I was once "macho and egotistical".

p.p.s. I still haven't lost a fight. wink (In other words...there is still some of that sorts of "macho and egotistical" stuff still there...I haven't been in a fight since I was 17.....because I can go to jail now. wink)

Symmetric Chaos
so, who do you stick your dick in? Freak!

Nothing. I happen to find most sexual acts repulsive.

Why?

Devil King
Half and half of both your sentences.

p.s. I was young once...I was once "macho and egotistical".

p.p.s. I still haven't lost a fight. wink (In other words...there is still some of that sorts of "macho and egotistical" stuff still there...I haven't been in a fight since I was 17.....because I can go to jail now. wink)

I've never lost a fight either, at least not one that took place face to face. My brother can still beat me in a physical competition.

Youth is a wonderful scape-goat.

But even my bother can't out think me. He's always been a fists first kind of guy. (what can you really expect from a guy thats never left his commfort zone and used to break dance at "the mall"?) But, despite his opinion of gay people, he's defended me with his fists more than once. And, as far as actual acheivemnet, he's accomplished far more than I have. 50% of which he attribute to having squirted out a few kids. He actually had a very lovable reaction when I told him I was gay. "That's okay, That's okay! People can be stupid! And I love you!".

There's a time to show your fists for what they are. It's just too bad than most people can't back up their audience-pleasing comments with their face. That's because most people's off-hand comments don't concure with their crowd-pleasing statements.

How "manly" is someone who gets their ass handed to them by a skinny ******?

dadudemon
I've never lost a fight either, at least not one that took place face to face.

I said you were a manly man....looks like I was right. big grin

Youth is a wonderful scape-goat.

Except in my case, I am ashamed for how short I allowed my fuse be. I don't use my youthful mistakes as a scape-goat...instead I use them as a learning experience to better myself. And then there's the part about looking like an over aggressive dumb-ass. I hate those pricks.

But even my bother can't out think me. He's always been a fists first kind of guy. (what can you really expect from a guy thats never left his commfort zone and used to break dance at "the mall"?) But, despite his opinion of gay people, he's defended me with his fists more than once. And, as far as actual acheivemnet, he's accomplished far more than I have. 50% of which he attribute to having squirted out a few kids. He actually had a very lovable reaction when I told him I was gay. "That's okay, That's okay! People can be stupid! And I love you!".

Your brother sounds like a nice guy. It also sounds like you admire him in some ways.

There's a time to show your fists for what they are. It's just too bad than most people can't back up their audience-pleasing comments with their face. That's because most people's off-hand comments don't concure with their crowd-pleasing statements.

Hmmm, I am probably being an idiot again.(I'm forever going to think that when I have to ask someone to clarify their questions because of you, Bardock42. sad) I don't understand what you mean there. I think your meaning is deeper than I can comprehend from the above words.

How "manly" is someone who gets their ass handed to them by a skinny ******?

Exactly. Those are the best. I love it when some ***hole tries to start shit and gets his mouth shut but a skinny little b***h. Those are the times when you say "pwned" out loud.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I don't see the appeal of being "macho," really. I am quiet and timid, prone to overlooking rather than confronting. (I have learned in my few years that correcting every stupid thing people say will only lead one to spend all of one's time doing so, and it will make one a good deal of enemies in the process.)

The idea of "macho-ness" is essentially haughtiness, I think. Consider it this way: when a "macho man" is forced to be meek, he is disgraced; when a meek man is forced to be "macho," he is respected.

But, I digress. Where were we, something about spanking?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
I don't see the appeal of being "macho," really. I am quiet and timid, prone to overlooking rather than confronting. (I have learned in my few years that correcting every stupid thing people say will only lead one to spend all of one's time doing so, and it will make one a good deal of enemies in the process.)

The idea of "macho-ness" is essentially haughtiness, I think. Consider it this way: when a "macho man" is forced to be meek, he is disgraced; when a meek man is forced to be "macho," he is respected.

Well, the two subjects are probably related.

A macho-man may be that way because of genetics...ooooor it could be the environment he was raised in. That brings us back to the topic. Too much physical discipline can have impacts on your child's ability to cope with others.

Also, I would NEVER have pegged you as quiet or timid. Are you an internet badass?

Devil King
Those are the times when you say "pwned" out loud.

There is no such a thing as a time to say "pwned" out loud...unless you're the host of Attack of the Show; much less is "pwning" someone a reason to confront them.

The sad part is that you might consider me one of those people with something to prove. Much like yourself, I only defend my position when it's called for or questioned. I also do not understand the ide of "macho". For some reason, even when I'm not "macho" I still have a dick.

I love it when some ***hole tries to start shit and gets his mouth shut but a skinny little b***h.

As much as I'd love to be the skinny b*tch in your scenario, I would assume the guy that backs down is the one changing tampons after the dressing down. But you go on fixing your wife's breakfast on Valentines day: I'm sure she loves it when you act like the woman. As much as you love it when the b*tch makes the obvious apparent, you demonstrate how little you've learned from loving it.

dadudemon
There is no such a thing as a time to say "pwned" out loud...unless you're the host of Attack of the Show; much less is "pwning" someone a reason to confront them.

Uhhh...some of use are more nerdy than others?

As much as I'd love to be the skinny b*tch in your scenario, I would assume the guy that backs down is the one changing tampons after the dressing down. But you go on fixing your wife's breakfast on Valentines day: I'm sure she loves it when you act like the woman. As much as you love it when the b*tch makes the obvious apparent, you demonstrate how little you've learned from loving it.

Such anger and hostility!

No, in the scenario, no one backs down, they are beat down. wink

and I love it when an ***hole gets his mouth shut because I don't like ***holes. The skinny b***h shutting him up is just a perk.

inimalist
So, I'm actually proud of the fact I've never been in a fight...

dadudemon
So, I'm actually proud of the fact I've never been in a fight...

Would you like to change that, ass****! mad no expression

I've got a foot with your asses name on it.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Also, I would NEVER have pegged you as quiet or timid. Are you an internet badass?
Not quite. Like St. Paul, I am a far more powerful writer than I am a speaker.

Devil King
I'm sure smilies make you less of an idiot.

Not that I subscribe to a religion that used to make you right becaue you have a dick swinging between your legs.

dadudemon
I'm sure smilies make you less of an idiot.

Not that I subscribe to a religion that used to make you right becaue you have a dick swinging between your legs.

I noticed that you edited your post really fast. wink (You added more.)

Also, use the quote feature for us idiots because "you" can be ambiguous.

Devil King
I noticed that you edited your post really fast. wink (You added more.)

Also, use the quote feature for us idiots because "you" can be ambiguous.

Does that imply that you had something to say to it?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
You guys need to take this to some kind of retard thread. This fagdancing is just annoying.

Devil King
You guys need to take this to some kind of retard thread. This fagdancing is just annoying.

I'm sure calling out the **** is a comfortable place to hide when the **** argue your biblical crap, but this is an internet forum. If you don't like it you can go back to sitting in your cell and jerking off to bible passages.

Adam_PoE

Zeal Ex Nihilo
HAHAHHA. He was black. That makes it fifty times awesome.
I'm sure calling out the **** is a comfortable place to hide when the **** argue your biblical crap, but this is an internet forum. If you don't like it you can go back to sitting in your cell and jerking off to bible passages.
http://www.firstaidmonster.com/images/products/FAM_MIDOL_MAX_STRENGTH_CAPLE-5300.jpg

Take two and post again in the morning.

dadudemon
Does that imply that you had something to say to it?

No. Just that I noticed that you edited your post really really fast. One of these days, you will actually reply the way I want you to. I want you to say something stupid or retarded like, "U found my secretz....ZOMG!!!!"

Come to think of it, I was going to post the second sentence of my post until after you edited your post with more information because I had no clue who you were addressing your post to.

http://www.firstaidmonster.com/images/products/FAM_MIDOL_MAX_STRENGTH_CAPLE-5300.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

laughing laughing

How the hell do you think of this shit?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
It's not really very original.

Devil King

No, it's not. And the fact that dadudemon think's it's over the top zany only maes it not. I mean, it was funny, but it wasn't smilie funny. (not that anything actually is)

Robtard
Not quite. Like St. Paul, I am a far more powerful writer than I am a speaker.

Pat yourself on the back much?

dadudemon

I have never seen that.

I have heard sexist comments like "Damn, are you on your period?" but never what you did.

New humor to me...that's why I thought it was funny.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Robtard
Pat yourself on the back much?
Allow me to rephrase:

I'm a weak speaker but a strong writer.

STFU, fgt.

SpearofDestiny
HAHAHHA. He was black. That makes it fifty times awesome.

laughing

Every time DK says something now, im just gonna post this laughing

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny

You're stealing a joke that wasn't funny the first time, aren't you cool?

SpearofDestiny
You're stealing a joke that wasn't funny the first time, aren't you cool?

Adam_PoE
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=10283807

This must be one of the hot "girls" you claim to hook up with.

SpearofDestiny
It is droolio

Zeal Ex Nihilo
This must be one of the hot "girls" you claim to hook up with.
He's totally bisekshul, didn't you know?

SpearofDestiny
TOTALLY

Schecter
laughing

everything you post is made of pure concentrated fail.
the best way you could possibly contribute to this forum would be if you
smashed your kiddieporn packed hard drive with a hammer and then died.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.