star wars is evil (according to christians)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Intresting !! embarrasment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUrCF7fpViw&feature=related

Elite Hunter
"white side or black side of the force" haha

Sesse
Yes. We must now stop this demon worshipping! mad

Death to the heathen! Either you are with us, or you are against us! Erhm. I mean...

JediRobin23
Star Wars is like George Lucas's own religion. This guys probably right, but his religion was someones as well.

Sesse
There is the Force according to the Bible btw...

Luke: (ironic?) 8:45

45 And Jesus said, Who is it that touched me? And when all denied, Peter said, and they that were with him, Master, the multitudes press thee and crush thee.

46But Jesus said, Some one did touch me; for I perceived that power had gone forth from me.

Power = Force? Matter of translation.

So it is said that something called the "power" / "the Force" moved out from Jesus according to the Bible itself.

Or is the Bible perhaps lying? huh

"You must feel the Force around you." Jesus felt it in himself. If he felt it, then it must have been real. Otherwise he would have bene a lunatic.

Take that, you zealots...

You have only 2 choices.
A) There was a Force that Jesus recognized.
B) Jesus was lying and the Bible is false.

JediRobin23
Your arguments are no where near sound.

Sesse
Only way to argue with religious people is to use their own sources.

You cannot really contradict an argument just by saying that it is not sound.

JediRobin23
yeah you can when it makes absolutely no sense. Thats like saying, My dog is brown, and my cat is brown, therefore my cat is a dog.

Sesse
I assume you are a Bible expert then?
If not, you are in no position to make judgements of my reference.
I was just pointing out a chapter from the book and making a sentence that is true by the logic.

"I don't understand how the car works. But nothing can move without legs. Car cannot move."

JediRobin23
your creating doubt in your initial statement "I dont understand how the car works?

cars may or may not have legs, which would satisfy your first statement.

"car can not move" You drew a conclusion based on uncertainty. A car perhaps can move if it did have legs based on your initial statement.

Anyway, I'm no bible expert but I know its easy to draw a connection to almost anything in the bible or in star wars

Blax_Hydralisk
This is pretty funny considering.

A) I'm Christian.

B) Half my friends are Christians

C) We all love Star Wars.

This thread fails for generalizing.

JediRobin23
I dont think its something as simple as the force = God. I think people try to connect star wars to their own life. eg. Darkside qualities like hate making you powerful, or fear leads to anger, possessions lead to jealousy. The things Anakin was exposed to that led him to the darkside. These are things that are true in everyday life. There is alwalys consequence to your choices. Making good choices leads to good things. pretty simple. These are all in the bible.
I Think Lucas was a methodist, so he understands these things.

I think this hardcore christian guy is saying, dont consider these things because you then dont need to accept Jesus the way they want you too.
Most Christians want you to fully accept Jesus, and this leads to people taking it literally causing them to be almost worse than Palpatine. Thats why I kind of liked setting arguments up, so you dont accept things that can be false

coolmovies
Well some people do beilve jedi is a religion. I was watching sky news and two star wars fans dressed as jedi's came on the show. They even had there own jedi names lolz.

Sesse
No need to go that far to seek wackos.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/jedi.akatemia/englanninkielinenpaasivu.htm

Man of Christ
Originally posted by Sesse
There is the Force according to the Bible btw...

Luke: (ironic?) 8:45

45 And Jesus said, Who is it that touched me? And when all denied, Peter said, and they that were with him, Master, the multitudes press thee and crush thee.

46But Jesus said, Some one did touch me; for I perceived that power had gone forth from me.

Power = Force? Matter of translation.

So it is said that something called the "power" / "the Force" moved out from Jesus according to the Bible itself.

Or is the Bible perhaps lying? huh

"You must feel the Force around you." Jesus felt it in himself. If he felt it, then it must have been real. Otherwise he would have bene a lunatic.

Take that, you zealots...

You have only 2 choices.
A) There was a Force that Jesus recognized.
B) Jesus was lying and the Bible is false.

1) Jesus was talking about HIS OWN POWER which HE has because He is God. and God is omnipotent.

2) Miracles derive from Christ Jesus and the Son and the Holy Spirit (one GOd forever) MIracles dont happen through concentrating and pushing harder but come about through prayer, faith and the anointing of God.

The Bible is the Word of God not a spell book.

3) George lucas is a methodist so his knowledge of his faith would make it easier for him to make Christian refrences in his movies.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by coolmovies

Wasn't a real protest... well atleast that is what it appears through my research, since the site that is on the sign leads you to this: http://www.ooze.com/toolofsatan/

Originally posted by Man of Christ
1) Jesus was talking about HIS OWN POWER which HE has because He is God. and God is omnipotent.

2) Miracles derive from Christ Jesus and the Son and the Holy Spirit (one GOd forever) MIracles dont happen through concentrating and pushing harder but come about through prayer, faith and the anointing of God.

The Bible is the Word of God not a spell book.

3) George lucas is a methodist so his knowledge of his faith would make it easier for him to make Christian refrences in his movies.

GL's a methodist? I did not know that...

willofthewisp
As a Christian myself, I felt the Star Wars series exemplified Christian values. A few people go too far with criticizing pop culture and nonreligious people assume that means all Christians must feel a certain way. The truth is that we are a diverse group of different races, sexes, ages, and backgrounds and our opinions, hobbies, and interests are quite varied.

The heart of Star Wars centers around someone lost to evil and his children trying to help redeem him. If that is not the main idea of Christianity, than I don't know what is. We all get a second chance through Christianity. Throughout the series, you have people of different social classes and even species that work together towards a common goal. It's about someone who finds a power in the universe greater than himself and lets it influence him to do good and make his environment a better place.

I think there is even a book out there called The Gospel Through Star Wars or something close to that.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by willofthewisp
As a Christian myself, I felt the Star Wars series exemplified Christian values. A few people go too far with criticizing pop culture and nonreligious people assume that means all Christians must feel a certain way. The truth is that we are a diverse group of different races, sexes, ages, and backgrounds and our opinions, hobbies, and interests are quite varied.

The heart of Star Wars centers around someone lost to evil and his children trying to help redeem him. If that is not the main idea of Christianity, than I don't know what is. We all get a second chance through Christianity. Throughout the series, you have people of different social classes and even species that work together towards a common goal. It's about someone who finds a power in the universe greater than himself and lets it influence him to do good and make his environment a better place.

I think there is even a book out there called The Gospel Through Star Wars or something close to that.

Actually there is Christian books about several things that many see to be Evil like Harry Potter. My mom has a book entitled "Finding God in Harry Potter"

You remember the Harry Potter controversy right? Bigest waste of time ever.

All in all, however, the protest was a farce designed to make fun of christians.

MasterAshenVor
1up for blax

1) IM A CHRISTIAN TOO

2) MY ENTIRE SCHOOL WHICH IS A GOOD CHRISTIAN SCHOOL ARE STAR WARS FREAKS

3) I do admit that there are some similarities BECAUSE GEORGE LUCAS TOOK MYTHOLOGY AND BIBLE and brought some aspects into STAR WARS

Examples

1) Anakin never haveing a Father - (BIBLE) The Virgin Birth

2) Light Sabers - (Mythology) Excalibur

3) The Force - NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT TALK ABOUT THE FORCE....Someone did touch Jesus and the bible according to my religion never lies and Jesus was makeing NO REFERANCE to THE FORCE.....

4) Jedi Council - (Mythology) Knights at the Round Table in this case sitting in a circular patterns with chairs.

SO TAKE THAT YOU STAR WARS BASHING RELIGIOUS FANATIC FREAKS

I love God i love Jesus i Love Chrisitianity

I hate IDIOTS that try to Mix Or LOOK AT THE "DEEPER MEANING" behind GOOD MOVIES

I hate IDIOTS that try to Mix up anything that is good with something that is just SPECULATION

I hate Idiots that JUST TALK OUT OF THEIR ARSES

Sesse
Originally posted by MasterAshenVor

3) The Force - NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT TALK ABOUT THE FORCE....Someone did touch Jesus and the bible according to my religion never lies and Jesus was makeing NO REFERANCE to THE FORCE.....

How can you tell? You might be currently reading the modern Bible version 8.3234 beta.

The original scriptures written between 32-100 BC. What is written in those... Thats the interesting part.

Now we are having a translation of a translations translation infront of us. Gee, I wonder how much of it is still intact.

Power and Force could be considered synonyms. Not by todays standards of course, but we are talking about semantics. Was the original word intented to mean power, or force.

roughrider
When The Phantom Menace was released, the head bishop of The Church Of England endorsed the values & messages in the film, and Star Wars as a whole. But, such is the depth of the story that other faiths could find their values there, too. Yoda is very Budddist in his beliefs & teachings, for example.

Forget the fundamentalists. They go after properties like The Wizard Of Oz & Harry Potter, too.

JediRobin23

JediRobin23

JediRobin23
mistake

coolmovies
maybe thats why they call it a holy trilogy

MasterAshenVor
I Read the King James Version the ORIGINAL KING JAMES VERSION.

Man of Christ
How can you tell? You might be currently reading the modern Bible version 8.3234 beta.

The original scriptures written between 32-100 BC. What is written in those... Thats the interesting part.

Now we are having a translation of a translations translation infront of us. Gee, I wonder how much of it is still intact.

Power and Force could be considered synonyms. Not by todays standards of course, but we are talking about semantics. Was the original word intented to mean power, or force.

Jesus was talking about HIS DIVINE POWER, not some force that everyone has, cuz if that were the case we would have people force shoking eachother now, but Jesus is God, not a jedi.

LORD JLRTENJAC

The bible had about twice the number of manuscripts as the odessy, but few people dispute the acuracy of what was translated in the odessy, why is that?

Refrenced
The New Eidences that Demand a verdict by Josh McDowell.

Though there are many translations of the Bible, the fundamentals of what are written are the same. I mostly stick to the NIV version of the bible, because it is easier to read, but I do read from every translation, and they all have the exact same meaning.

Even in church sometimes, the pastor will preach from the King James and I will be reading from the New International Version, and though the exact words used are different, the meaning is the same.

Jesus was talking about HIS DIVINE POWER, not some force that everyone has, cuz if that were the case we would have people force shoking eachother now, but Jesus is God, not a jedi.

According to christian beliefs Jesus is the the son of God, and thus has the power of God. Power and the force are not neccisaraly synonumus, The force exists in all living beings, Power, on the other hand, doesn't neccisarily.

LORD JLRTENJAC
I do admit that there are parts of the bible that dont translate 100%. For example: the word love.

In the greek language, which much of the bible was wtitten in, there are 3 words for love:
agapao: an unselfish, unconditional, sacrificial love.
phileo: a friendship kind of love.
Eros: A romantic love.

Agapao and Phileo appear in the bible several times, but Eros does not appear in the bible. Here are 2 verses in which Agape and Phileo appear.

Husbands, love (agapao) your wives, even as Christ also loved (agapao) the church, and gave himself for it; - Eph. 5:25

If any man love (phileo) not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha. - I Cor. 16:22

To return to the origional translations is the best way to understand the bible, but for a fundamental understanding, it is not absolutely neccisary.

queeq
Good point. We live in a time were love=sex. wink

LORD JLRTENJAC
Unfortunately we do.

The big EH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUrCF7fpViw&feature=related i totally thought it was a universal christian thing to be one those hardcore nerds.....apparently i was wrong, but this guy is a complete and total tool

queeq
It happens in the best of families.

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by The big EH
i totally thought it was a universal christian thing to be one those hardcore nerds.....apparently i was wrong, but this guy is a complete and total tool

Yea but it was a fake, so...

queeq
So?

Kapton JAC
People are in here talking as if that was an actual protest, and I just want to make sure that we all understand that it's not.

If we all do understand and I am just making a fool of myself... well that's not really an uncommon thing. sad

Lt. Valerian

Religion sucks... the OT doesn't, so they should just STFU.

queeq
Errr... right....

Lt. Valerian
Don't freak out, Queeq... I'm just kidding.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
This is pretty funny considering.

A) I'm Christian.

B) Half my friends are Christians

C) We all love Star Wars.

This thread fails for generalizing.

QFT.

I was going to say the same thing.

As mentioned, Lucas is a Methodist Christian, and the saga is full of tons of Spiritual references, both Christian and non.

I know a good many pastors who use Luke, Anakin, the temptation of darkside/power in sermons. stick out tongue

The people in the video are out to lunch, and not representative of most Christians.

queeq
Thank God for that.

Darth Subjekt
It almost seems like that douche of a "reverend" who does all those "the truth behind..." bullshit. But did anyone notice in the very beginning at the bottom of the screen it says, "Yea, its a joke."? Make the picture full screen and you' should be able to see it.

queeq
hehehe

The big EH
this is why ii make fun of nathan alot

Lt. Valerian
That is why the video is senseless.

chik4lit
The Star Wars movies are not meant to be a guide for life, which is why psychotic fundamentalists need to freaking chill.

queeq
Amen.

steverules
How can some christians think Star Wars is evil....it's the shizzle, I love Star Wars

truejedi
I've never heard one christian complain about starwars for any reason, and i've been going to church since before i can remember. (i take that back, Leia's bikini wasn't liked by some, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.)
The title of this thread is untrue.

queeq
Actually, SW could serve as a nice parable for the gospel. Juts like Pinocchio. But some Christians go a little beserk when they hear stuff like Force, fairies, wizards etc. They're considered demonic. Well, if a movie has the power to send you to hell, we have some serious problems. wink

Schecter
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
People are in here talking as if that was an actual protest, and I just want to make sure that we all understand that it's not.

If we all do understand and I am just making a fool of myself... well that's not really an uncommon thing. sad

jac, people have a short attention span here. allow me:

The protest was fake. It was just a joke. It's purely comedy

however your soul will be damned to the lake of fire for denying that the PT sucks, so sayeth our lord jesus christ.

Luke:11:38- ...and christ said to his disciples, "go not to witness this blasphemy, for it does suck harshly."

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by queeq
Actually, SW could serve as a nice parable for the gospel. Juts like Pinocchio. But some Christians go a little beserk when they hear stuff like Force, fairies, wizards etc. They're considered demonic. Well, if a movie has the power to send you to hell, we have some serious problems. wink

That is true, and rediculus. Two of the most well-known christians who ever lived wrote stories with witches, wizards, and magic. But that's happily over-looked by those who consiter stories like Harry Potter (You all remember THAT don't you?), His dark Materials (Though I disagree with much of what the author has said before) possibly Star Wars (It wouldn't suprise me) evil.

Of course the funniest thing about this is that when anyone protests something like this, it causes more people to go see it, or read it, or listen to it, etc. It literally works the opposite of what they want.

Originally posted by Schecter
jac, people have a short attention span here. allow me:

The protest was fake. It was just a joke. It's purely comedy

uh... thanks, PVS.

Schecter
show me your butthole

queeq
You're hungry again?

exanda kane
Originally posted by Kapton JAC

Keep it up. Ya funny to laugh at.

Endless Mike
Fundie Christians think everything is evil

queeq
Any fundie thinks everything he doesn't like is evil. Fundie muslims, fundie animal activists, fundie nazi's... Fundie sucks.

Sesse
No forget fundie commies and fundie trekkies.

queeq
Good call.

JediRobin23

Certain values were understood through time and experience, and it didn't take religion to understand it

I like your view of this. Using what you know to do good for the good of mankind.

Sesse
Written by Luke? confused

queeq
laughing out loud

0°Mandalore°0
Well.... I am christian and I don't think Star Wars is evil, so.. it fails.

Sesse
Then you are lost!

queeq
Maybe it should say "some christians" .

0°Mandalore°0
Yeah...

queeq
Good sig.

0°Mandalore°0
Thanks. big grin

queeq
Happy Dance

En Sabah Nur X

Read the heretical gospel of Thomas.

queeq
Go to the Religion Forum.

Lord Knightfa11
1. This link is a JOKE
2. Star wars is not evil according to christians.
3. Although aliens and such suggest falsity of intelligent design, star wars and star trek and such are as they claim to be; science fiction and most christians accept this and most enjoy it.

queeq
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
Although aliens and such suggest falsity of intelligent design,

laughing out loud

Lord Knightfa11
well think about it. was jar jar designed intelligently?

queeq
In Sw everyone's an alien... and therefore... no one.

Stun
Everything is evil according to Christians, or at the very least controversial

queeq
Everything? Sounds like a major exaggeration or you only know the more militant christians.

Stun
it was a major exaggeration, your right. Christianity just frustrates me is all

queeq
Hmm... I wonder why, even though this is not the right forum.

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Stun
Everything is evil according to Christians, or at the very least controversial

nope. Not really. If you took everything in excess, everything might be evil.

queeq
And then it prolly is.

Lord Knightfa11
only in excess. and then everything is forgiveable. computor games are evil if you play them 10 hours a day, get fat and pastey white, and lose your will go to live in the real world. By this logic, if you eat otmeal to the point of dying of indigestion, eating oatmeal is evil. But you are forgiven in advance for doing so.

queeq
Ergo... people can act like they're evil. Things can't be evil.

Sesse
So thoughts cant be evil?

queeq
Hmmm... interesting notion.

Maybe people are evil.

Lord Knightfa11
actually, they are with a few saving graces, and some help from god...

queeq
Examples?

Lord Knightfa11
no, can't think of any saving graces. Its all help from god.

queeq
Okay.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.