The Magical Mystery Tourney Odds Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthgoober
Blair

Single Pick1- Wundarr the Aquarian
Amalgam1- Madison Jeffries (with Box)/Professor Ivo
Amalgam2- Element Lad/Brainiac5
Single Pick2-Light Ray
Single Pick3- Thom Kallor
Amalgam Pick3- Spartan w/Void/Persuder

Goober

Single Pick1- Absorbing Man
Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor
Amalgam2-Monica Rambeau (Photon)/Warrior
Single Pick2-Matrix Supergirl
Single Pick3- Access
Amalgam Pick3- Rune/Phyla-Vell

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt
Amalgam1- Reed Richards/Sage
Amalgam2-Firestorm (Ronnie)/Meggan
Single Pick2-Animal Man
Single Pick3- Sprite
Amalgam Pick3- Ray/Jor-el

Charlotte

Single Pick1- Graviton
Amalgam1- Engineer II/Brainiac8
Amalgam2-Yellowjacket/Shift
Single Pick2-Jack Hawksmoor
Single Pick3- Apollo
Amalgam Pick3- Nate Grey/Mantis

Bran

Single Pick1- Martian Manhunter
Amalgam1- Northstar/Juggernaut
Amalgam2-Cable/Nova
Single Pick2-Apocalypse
Single Pick3- James Hudson (Cyborg)
Amalgam Pick3- Drax/w gem/Iron Fist

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki
Amalgam1- Spider-Man (circa Civil War)/Atlas
Amalgam2-Cassandra Nova/Cloak
Single Pick2-Alex Luthor Jr
Single Pick3- Warlock (Technarch)
Amalgam Pick3- Madrox/Phastos

Trick

Single Pick1- Dr. Arthur Light
Amalgam1- Ikaris/ Atom (Ray Palmer)
Amalagam2-Metamorpho/Mar-vell
Single Pick2-???
Single Pick3- Darkness
Amalgam Pick3- Exodus/Machine Man

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima
Amalgam1- Ronan the accuser/Super-skrull
Amalgam2-Captain Comet (current)/Krypto
Single Pick2-Magneto
Single Pick3- Death Metal
Amalgam Pick3- Shaman/Hyperion

Akuki

Single Pick1- Demon Witchfire
Amalgam1- Nova (Frankie Raye)/Supergirl
Amalgam2-Dr. Doom/Ultimate Superskrull
Single Pick2-Spawn (1st Age)
Single Pick3- Prodigy
Amalgam Pick3- Moondragon w/gem/Gold Key Solar

Pr1983

Single Pick1- Firestorm (current)
Amalgam1- Red Tornado (JLA #12)/Steven Lang (Phalanx Infected)
Amalgam2-Wonderwoman/Manchester Black
Single Pick2-Makkari
Single Pick3- Geo-Force
Amalgam Pick3- Mr. Sinister/Dr. Light

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade
Amalgam1- Mr Terrific 2/Sand
Amalagam2-Forerunner/Supernova
Single Pick2- Malefic
Single Pick3- Gentleman Ghost
Amalgam Pick3- Mary Marvel/Enchantress

Leo

Single Pick1- Forge
Amalgam1- Sersi/Ult. Reed
Amalagam2- Savitar/Vulcan
Single Pick2- Wiz Kid
Single Pick3- Black Box
Amalgam Pick3- Rachel Summers/Cerebro Prime

pr1983
Originally posted by darthgoober
Poor Polly

Single Picks- Firestorm (current)
Amalgams

thx man...

darthgoober
Originally posted by pr1983
thx man...
Sorry I just copied Red's list of participants. I meant to change it but forgot(but it's fixed now).

Fuzzy Hawkeye
Pool A
Devil Lance: Maxima
Smurph: Blackbolt
Akuki: Dr. Doom
Laminator: Loki

Round: 1
Devil Lance and Laminator X v.s Smurph and Akuki

Round: 2
Devil Lance and Smurph v.s Akuki and Laminator X

Round: 3
Smurph and Laminator v.s Akuki and Devil Lance

Pool B
Goober: Absorbing Man, He-Man/Skeletor
Trick: Arthur Light
Bran: Juggernaut
Paul: Firestorm

Round 1:
DarthGoober and Trick v.s Bran and Paul

Bran and Goober v.s Trick and Paul

Bran and Trick v.s Paul and Goober

Pool C
Leo: Sersi,
Grey Fox: Magneto
Blair: Aquarian, Madison Jeffries (with Box armor)/Professor Ivo
Charlotte: X-Man

Round: 1
Leo and Blair v.s Grey Fox and Charlotte

Blair and Grey Fox.s Charlotte and Leo

Blair and Charlotte v.s Leo and Grey Fox

pr1983
Sorry I just copied Red's list of participants. I meant to change it but forgot(but it's fixed now).

where?

darthgoober
Originally posted by pr1983
where?
Oops... for some reason it didn't take, my bad. It's been more than 15 minutes so I can't, but feel free to edit it.

pr1983
Oops... for some reason it didn't take, my bad. It's been more than 15 minutes so I can't, but feel free to edit it.

thank you... stick out tongue

SmurphSmash!
Pool A: Smurph

Pool B: Trick, curbstomp

Pool C: ?

Fuzzy Hawkeye
Marty's in...allegedly...

pr1983
updated first post to include current picks...

Akuki
Right now I'm very jealous of Charlotte and Blair's picks.

Charlotte DeBel
When I do something, I try to do it in the best way. And of course, "ad majorem whitehaired gloriam", darlingsmile Though more on it later when time comessmile I had to rethink some of my ideas, though...
But as for now... I have a few exotic strategies to try and surprise you guys. Though my bracket is a "group of death"- sort of...with Blair and Leo being clear favourites.

DigiMark007
I know what goober's trying to do...

shifty

...good luck to everyone else. I have the ear of a few competitors and all have some wicked good ideas. No clue who the favorite is because I'm not sure how the partner thing will favor some over others.

pr1983
i keep going over the amalgams i have in mind in my head, and at times they seem great, and at times i say to myself 'wtf am i doing?' ermm

Zeitgeist
Seems like SmurphSmash! has the best team potential right now.

leonidas
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
When I do something, I try to do it in the best way. And of course, "ad majorem whitehaired gloriam", darlingsmile Though more on it later when time comessmile I had to rethink some of my ideas, though...
But as for now... I have a few exotic strategies to try and surprise you guys. Though my bracket is a "group of death"- sort of...with Blair and Leo being clear favourites.

well, not sure what sort of favourite i am, but you've successfully screwed my 'strategy' over twice by first taking nate THEN the engineer!

you're really starting to get on my nerves, you know that?

stick out tongue

kudos on the very good picks.

smile

Raoul
Originally posted by Zeitgeist

laughing out loud

leonidas

yes, HE screwed me over too! mad

sumbitches -- it's a conspiracy i tells ya! i conspiracy!!

Zeitgeist
Originally posted by leonidas

sumbitches -- it's a conspiracy i tells ya! i conspiracy!! It's happened to everyone, I'm sure.

117 characters to be drafted...

Akuki
It's happened to everyone, I'm sure.

Since this is limited to comics I'm going to start running out of characters I know very quickly. One last plea for Mixed Medianaughty

leonidas
It's happened to everyone, I'm sure.

no doubt -- but that won't stop me from b!tching about! big grin

Raoul
no doubt -- but that won't stop me from b!tching about! big grin

peaches

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Akuki
Since this is limited to comics I'm going to start running out of characters I know very quickly. One last plea for Mixed Medianaughty
I already tried. They ain't listening. srug Delph said he's going to set up a league after his tourney finishes, save your ideas for there. wink

leonidas
rd 2 of drafts are coming to a close . . . looks interesting. can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on all of it. smile

Newjak

sumbitches -- it's a conspiracy i tells ya! i conspiracy!! whistle

leonidas
Originally posted by Newjak
whistle

i knew it! conspiracy! i told ya's!!

Newjak
i knew it! conspiracy! i told ya's!! shifty

leonidas
nj---> chair <---leo

Newjak
nj---> chair <---leo angel <-- Newjak

Raoul
editing the first post...

edit: ok, done... what does everyone think of it now? its beginning to take shape, and there are some interesting picks imo...

leonidas
very interesting. i also find interesting the picks that were NOT made. some pretty powerful individuals still on the table. smile

Raoul
very interesting. i also find interesting the picks that were NOT made. some pretty powerful individuals still on the table. smile

true, though i'm sure they'll be snapped up as the tourney progresses...

leonidas
Originally posted by Raoul
true, though i'm sure they'll be snapped up as the tourney progresses...

no doubt. i had a list of characters i thought would be gone in that first rd though, and only about 1/3 of them disappeared. there were 3 i was REALLY hoping i would be able to get, alas . . . erm

i wonder how badly everyone else's strategies were affected? i have plenty of alternates, but there was 1 pick in particular i really did want.

curse you, smurph . . . curse you . . .

Raoul
no doubt. i had a list of characters i thought would be gone in that first rd though, and only about 1/3 of them disappeared. there were 3 i was REALLY hoping i would be able to get, alas . . . erm

i wonder how badly everyone else's strategies were affected? i have plenty of alternates, but there was 1 pick in particular i really did want.

i lost one that i really, really wanted, but as it is now, i don't know whats going to happen if picks i'd already cleared get banned... sad

i mean, i had backups and all, but still...

leonidas
i lost one that i really, really wanted, but as it is now, i don't know whats going to happen if picks i'd already cleared get banned... sad

i mean, i had backups and all, but still...

yeah, that will blow. i know I'LL be voting against whoever you choose . . . shifty

so, can you say who you REALLY wanted? and don't forget -- alternates versions of similar characters are allowed, so maybe you maybe you can still get the character? confused

Raoul
yeah, that will blow. i know I'LL be voting against whoever you choose . . . shifty

so, can you say who you REALLY wanted? and don't forget -- alternates versions of similar characters are allowed, so maybe you maybe you can still get the character? confused

stick out tongue

i wanted kara... outside of diana she's one of the few top versatile powerhouses thats still under the cap... and i had some sweet plans for someone for her to amalgam with...

Charlotte DeBel
Even without mixed media there's plenty of rather interesting pick to choose from. And I can't say that I'm really interested in mixed media when it comes to that tier (unlike low meta, where I really have characters to scratch everyone's face for).

leonidas
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
Even without mixed media there's plenty of rather interesting pick to choose from. And I can't say that I'm really interested in mixed media when it comes to that tier (unlike low meta, where I really have characters to scratch everyone's face for).

oh, there's still hundreds to choose from. i think this draft is great. like i said before, really forces you to think creatively. smile

Charlotte DeBel
Luckily only the one pick of what I've wanted was taken...and that was by the time I decided that the pick is quite nonsencisal given that I'm not really a huge expert in a character (I wanted Martian Manhunter as a part of one of amalgams but then decided that it's useless)/

leonidas
jonzz lasted longer than i thought he would. i was very surprised wonder woman made it through. thought for SURE she'd be taken as an individual cuz of her versatility.

still loads of great characters out there. next rd should be as interesting as the first.

Raoul
i'd considered j'onn too, but his numerous low showings bothered me a little...

leonidas
i'd considered j'onn too, but his numerous low showings bothered me a little...

yeah, and his weakness was tough to deal with too. erm

DigiMark007
BRB, Black Adam....are these guys legal? Or are they considered > WW even though they exist in the same tier over in the comics forum?

Those are the first people I suggested to leo when we were bantering about the tourney a week or so ago, but I figured they'd probably be banned.

psycho gundam
Blair

Single Picks- Wundarr the Aquarian
Amalgams- Madison Jeffries (with Box armor)/Professor Ivo

Goober

Single Picks- Absorbing Man
Amalgams-He-Man/Skeletor

Grey Fox

Single Picks- Magneto
Amalgams- Dagon (Humanoid form), Ranark

Smuph

Single Picks- Black Bolt
Amalgams- Reed Richards, Sage

Charlotte

Single Picks- X-Man
Amalgams- Engineer II, Brainiac8

Bran

Single Picks- Juggernaut (classic)
Amalgams- Northstar, Martian Manhunter

Laminator X

Single Picks- Loki
Amalgams- Spider-Man circa Civil War, Atlas

Trick

Single Picks- Dr. Arthur Light
Amalgams- Ikaris, Ray Palmer

Devil lance

Single Picks- Maxima
Amalgams- Ronan the accuser, Super-skrull

Leo

Single Picks- sersi
Amalgams- jay garrick, forge

Akuki

Single Picks- Dr. Doom
Amalgams- Zatanna, Supergirl

Pr1983

Amalgams- Red Tornado (JLA #12), Steven Lang (Phalanx Infected)

Martian

Single Picks- Nightshade
Amalgams- Mr Terrific 2, Sand excuse my trolling here but *oddamn, how the hell are you guys going to decide who wins with picks like this? too much power and too much variables. good luck sad

leonidas
Blair

Single Picks- Wundarr the Aquarian
Amalgams- Madison Jeffries (with Box armor)/Professor Ivo

Goober

Single Picks- Absorbing Man
Amalgams-He-Man/Skeletor

Grey Fox

Single Picks- Magneto
Amalgams- Dagon (Humanoid form), Ranark

Smuph

Single Picks- Black Bolt
Amalgams- Reed Richards, Sage

Charlotte

Single Picks- X-Man
Amalgams- Engineer II, Brainiac8

Bran

Single Picks- Juggernaut (classic)
Amalgams- Northstar, Martian Manhunter

Laminator X

Single Picks- Loki
Amalgams- Spider-Man circa Civil War, Atlas

Trick

Single Picks- Dr. Arthur Light
Amalgams- Ikaris, Ray Palmer

Devil lance

Single Picks- Maxima
Amalgams- Ronan the accuser, Super-skrull

Leo

Single Picks- sersi
Amalgams- jay garrick, forge

Akuki

Single Picks- Dr. Doom
Amalgams- Nova (Frankie Raye), Supergirl

Pr1983

Amalgams- Red Tornado (JLA #12), Steven Lang (Phalanx Infected)

Martian

Single Picks- Nightshade
Amalgams- Mr Terrific 2, Sand

adjusted. smile

Blair Wind
So thoughts on the current roster? Of course opinions will change once more picks are added (and I fully expect a full post made by darthgoober going on about what he thinks when all is said and done smile )

batdude123
My prediction...

Someone is going to win this tourney.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Blair Wind
So thoughts on the current roster? Of course opinions will change once more picks are added (and I fully expect a full post made by darthgoober going on about what he thinks when all is said and done smile )
Why are you so interested in my opinion? You, leo, Fox, DL, and pr all have more in the way of actual tourney experience than I do. This is actually only going to be my second tourney as a participant...

DigiMark007
I'll make a long-ish post on this tourney and everyone's chances. I'm an objective outsider with enough knowledge to seem credible, and draft picks always intrigue me....goober said everything I would've about Evangel's tourney so maybe I'll steal his thunder this time.

But full rosters should happen before the detailed analysis.

Blair Wind
Because you made a good long post for Evangels tourney stick out tongue

(and yes I meant after the full rosters were done)

DigiMark007
Why are you so interested in my opinion? You, leo, Fox, DL, and pr all have more in the way of actual tourney experience than I do. This is actually only going to be my second tourney as a participant...

Actually, aside from pr's pseudo-stint as a sub for Smurph's team in ill's tourney, I think he only has one past tourney to his credit (the Superman/Hal/Vulcan thing with Roldz n the last partner tourney).

But yeah, you're still a newb.

stick out tongue

batdude123
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Actually, aside from pr's pseudo-stint as a sub for Smurph's team in ill's tourney, I think he only has one past tourney to his credit (the Superman/Hal/Vulcan thing with Roldz n the last partner tourney).

stick out tongue

My tourney. ermmhappy

Raoul

stick out tongue

rewmac, dude... stick out tongue

and i am on smurphs team full time, its just that real life, and the fact that i havent been able to read up as much on akuki's team as i'd like meant that i havent been able to contribute as much as i'd like... i will be full on in the third round, and beyond if we win...

Originally posted by batdude123
My tourney. ermmhappy

yeah, good times etc...

Laminator_X

I've lost 3 of my intended nine thus far, but there are others I still available that'll maintain the overall strategy. The 2nd choice characters will be mostly fine in terms of abilities, but will be less well known. Hopefully in a judged tourney that won't hurt as much as it does in open voting.

DigiMark007
How many people will each participant draft by the time this thing is over?

Newjak
How many people will each participant draft by the time this thing is over? 9
3 single characters and 3 amalgams.

Zeitgeist
How many people will each participant draft by the time this thing is over? 117 characters to be drafted in total. no expression

leonidas
Originally posted by Laminator_X
I've lost 3 of my intended nine thus far, but there are others I still available that'll maintain the overall strategy. The 2nd choice characters will be mostly fine in terms of abilities, but will be less well known. Hopefully in a judged tourney that won't hurt as much as it does in open voting.

the lesser knowns are always a bit of a risk, but with this many characters being drafted there is little option. erm

Raoul
the lesser knowns are always a bit of a risk, but with this many characters being drafted there is little option. erm

aye... but i do think that the more obscure a character is, the more you can get away with in terms of claims about their abilities, and a persons own abilities in the debating arena will be tested that little bit more, which is all the better imo...

Newjak
aye... but i do think that the more obscure a character is, the more you can get away with in terms of claims about their abilities, and a persons own abilities in the debating arena will be tested that little bit more, which is all the better imo... Well I think it depends on the judge.

If you have a more lenent Judge then that may be true.

If you have a very straight forward Judge they may want you to clarify more. Which means you have to define the character more, and that takes away from other points you may have wanted to make.

Like I said it just depends but it can be a hindrance.

Raoul
Well I think it depends on the judge.

If you have a more lenent Judge then that may be true.

If you have a very straight forward Judge they may want you to clarify more. Which means you have to define the character more, and that takes away from other points you may have wanted to make.

Like I said it just depends but it can be a hindrance.

of course, i was just using an example...

Newjak
of course, i was just using an example... Sure you were uhuh

leonidas
aye... but i do think that the more obscure a character is, the more you can get away with in terms of claims about their abilities, and a persons own abilities in the debating arena will be tested that little bit more, which is all the better imo...

maybe. depends on how tied the judge is to on-panel ebidence. the more obscure, generally the fewer the appearances hence the fewer feats to support 'speculated abilities'.

that's generally the clincher in these things. EVERYONE EXAGGERATES. the key is making YOUR exaggeration sound the most plausible. smile

leonidas
Sure you were uhuh

you're right, he really wasn't. he pm'd me and told me so. no expression

DigiMark007
Originally I like bats' Nitro sig the best, but the one I made for leo has really grown on me.

Newjak
Originally I like bats' Nitro sig the best, but the one I made for leo has really grown on me. It's Newjak's Nitro sig mad

stick out tongue

Zeitgeist
that's generally the clincher in these things. EVERYONE EXAGGERATES. the key is making YOUR exaggeration sound the most plausible. smile I would never. erm

Bullshitting is like a foreign language to me.

Raoul
maybe. depends on how tied the judge is to on-panel ebidence. the more obscure, generally the fewer the appearances hence the fewer feats to support 'speculated abilities'.

that's generally the clincher in these things. EVERYONE EXAGGERATES. the key is making YOUR exaggeration sound the most plausible. smile

aye...

Originally I like bats' Nitro sig the best, but the one I made for leo has really grown on me.

modest, aren't we? stick out tongue

leonidas

while we're on the topic . . . laughing out loud

as foreign as say, English? no expression

Newjak
bump

grey fox
while we're on the topic . . . laughing out loud

as foreign as say, English? no expression

Ouch, get some ice Zeitgeist because you've been BURNED.

Raoul
drafts TONIGHT...

grey fox
What time ?

Raoul
Originally posted by grey fox
What time ?

if you're in britain, 5am...

grey fox
if you're in britain, 5am...

leonidas

laughing

don't worry foxy, should be LOTS of great picks left by the time you wake up . . .

big grin

Raoul

i'll be here, how do you think i feel?

also, as far as i know, its amalgams first up...

grey fox
we picked amalgams last time

leonidas
i'm almost positive it's singles first . . . confused

Blair Wind
amalgams first, singles on sunday. Then switching back to singles first, amalgams on sunday for next week.

grey fox
ahhh

leonidas
amalgams first, singles on sunday. Then switching back to singles first, amalgams on sunday for next week.

thumb up

Akuki
Good to know, thanks for clarifying.

Raoul
why is that when i say it, people don't believe me, but when blair says it...

sadwalk

Entity
why is that when i say it, people don't believe me, but when blair says it...

sadwalk Cause Blair's just cool like that and well...
*looks at sig*ermm

stick out tongue JK Pr

Raoul
Originally posted by Entity
Cause Blair's just cool like that and well...
*looks at sig*ermm

stick out tongue JK Pr

shock

Akuki
Well all the new picks are pretty interesting. Looks like everyone wanted transmutation powers.

Raoul
ill update the first post soon...

Blair Wind
Bump. Thoughts on current draft picks, and overall teams so far?

leonidas
Blair

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor

Grey Fox

Single Pick1- Magneto
Amalgam1- Dagon (Humanoid form)/Ranark
Amalgam2-Monster-in-the-Iron-Mask/Karate Kid (Pre-c)

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt

Charlotte

Single Pick1- X-Man

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

Trick

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima

Leo

Single Pick1- Sersi
Amalgam1- Flash (Jay Garrick)/Forge
Amalgam2-Savitar/Vulcan

Akuki

Single Pick1- Dr. Doom
Amalgam2-Captain Britain/Lionheart

Pr1983

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade

leonidas
ill update the first post soon...

heh. too late. stick out tongue

leonidas
Originally posted by Akuki
All the particapants have chosen for this round.

This means the order for the singles draft will be:
Mr. Slippyfist
Grey Fox
Leonidas
Charlotte DeBel
Martian
Devil Lance
Laminator X
Akuki
Trickster
Blair
DarthGoober
Smurph
Pr

for the sake of having everything in one place. smile

Zeitgeist

Smuph

Smuph?

ermm

And I'll post my thoughts on teams soon. Or... eventually.

Mr. Slippyfist
Good stuff.

Although, how do you amalgam a dog with Captain Comet?

leonidas
SmurphSux

fixed. big grin

Zeitgeist
oh

Never trading you that Reed/Sage/Blackbolt now... though I can't even remember who you wanted.

Lulz.

leonidas
SmurphRulz

angel

leonidas
and it was sage, ya bastich! stick out tongue

Zeitgeist
Thoughts on teams...

Blair

So far, his plan seems somewhat obvious.

Also dangerous.

A couple distinct holes, but, if B-Dub covers them with his next picks, he could have one of the top teams so far.

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor

So... I can tell the direction some of his amalgams are going in thus far. Individually they're powerful, but I'm waiting to see how they'll mesh together in a grand scheme.

Someone to keep an eye on, for sure though. Goob knows what he's doing.

Grey Fox

Single Pick1- Magneto

Choosing lesser known characters is generally both a blessing, in that they're harder to prep for, and harder to ban, and a curse because they can be hard to provide proof for and such.

Other than that, I dunno what to say about Fox's team.

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt

Clearly the best team so far.

Moving on...

Charlotte

Single Pick1- X-Man

Solid picks so far, and definitely ways to work them together... but I'm only seeing potential for high power without total ability to fill it so far... we shall see.

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova

Straightforward.

Very strong telepathic team too.. in addition to raw might and speed. Covers quite a few bases... clearly a contender, IMO.

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

Prediction: His plan will either be epic win, or contrived fail. I'm curious as to how the remaining picks will flesh out his team.

Trick

Nice picks so far... again, it's hard to tell what 's what with the team so far. Trick always has a plan, feasible or otherwise.

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima

Some of the best picks in the tourney so far, but I'm not seeing the grand plan. Which either means it's very good, or non-existant, and the team will operate solely on might.

Leo

Single Pick1- Sersi
Amalgam1- Flash (Jay Garrick)/Forge
Amalgam2-Savitar/Vulcan

Stole three of my picks. Utter bastard.

But Leo's out to win the Champ title, so... watch out.

Akuki

Single Pick1- Dr. Doom

I'm a little bit speculative, because he drafted the version of Britain with the amulet... but, he's had some favored picks so far.

Pr1983

No f*cking idea where Paul is going with this, if his plan is centered around that first amalgamation... I'll pay attention when his matches are up.

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade

Again, some nice picks so far... but we'll wait to see his team fleshed out. Martian's chosen picks he knows about, but are slightly obscure, so he probably won't have as much trouble as I'm anticipating Fox will with proof and whatnot.

Raoul
Pr1983

No f*cking idea where Paul is going with this, if his plan is centered around that first amalgamation... I'll pay attention when his matches are up.

laughing

big grin

leonidas
Blair

pretty easy to see -- at least in part -- where bw is trying to take things. lacking overall power at the moment though, so it will depend a lot on how his next picks pan out. ronnie would have made a big difference for his team. never does to underestimate bw though . . .

mid-way grade: B-

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor

some great picks. amal1 is a beast. hard to see an overall strategy though. i LOVE the warrior pick! was damn close to taking him myself . . . monica is an interesting choice. some great showings and some less than great ones. i always liked her though. creel is definitely solid. goob is always someone i'm leary of going against in any debate.

mid-way grade: A-

Grey Fox

Single Pick1- Magneto

too hard to call this one. too many unknowns imo. gonna be a lot of onus on foxy to support his strategies. some big power, but how well will he defend it?

mid-way grade: C+

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt

prolly the most solid picks in the draft thus far imo. reed and sage is a GREAT combo and i strongly considered meggan as a choice. amal2 is a beast and smurph can debate like a champ. not looking overly forward to matching up against him . . .

mid-way grade: A

Charlotte

Single Pick1- X-Man

been a thorn in my side this whole draft . . . stick out tongue anyway, top-drawer picks so far. be interesting to see where she takes them. lots of possible directions. also coming to realize cdb is a pretty damn fine debater in her own right. maybe lacking slightly in overall power, but again, loads of options available to her amalgams.

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova

very solid, very effective debater. jonzz has some pretty well know weaknesses though so it will be interesting to see how they are defended. physical beast amal1 and a great combo in amal2. don't see a lot of option for pooling the players into a big overall strategy, but we're not done so it's hard to tell. still, based on base-power of his amalgams bran has done very well so far.

mid-way grade: B+

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

spidey/atlas raised some eyebrows. otta be interetsing to see how he works all this out. cassandra was a pick i wanted curse you and loki has great versatility. lam is also one of the stronger debaters in this so there is no doubt he'll be a handful. curious to see if an overall strategy forms later on.

mid-way grade: B

Trick

some GREAT picks. among the top 2 or 3 in the tourney. trick's penchant for unrealistic planning could spell his downfall though. can't see an overall strategy yet either, but again, very strong picks. i give his picks an 'A', but tp's tradition of self-destruction in these things is infamous and drops my faith in him. perhaps THIS will be his time to shine?

mid-way grade: B

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima

very strong. krypto was a surprise to say the least, but not a bad pick at all. maxima is one of my faves and i won a tourney with her as part of my team. amal1 is a friggin beast. dl's a good debater, but maybe not as strong as a couple others in this tourney. if he can step up, he can go a long way with his picks.

Akuki

Single Pick1- Dr. Doom

the amulet and sword make me go hmmmmmm . . . we'll see how that pans out in discussion and in the tourney. nova/kara is an EXCELLENT combo -- maybe the strongest individual amalgam in this so far. with doom on the team and his versatility ak is definitely a contender.

Pr1983

black is one of my all-time faves. with diana, that is a BEAST of an amlagam . . . firestorm is very strong. amal1 is a puzzle. can't see where that is going but i've a feeling there is an overall strategy brewing. solid debater as well. someone to be careful of, for sure.

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade

interesting picks. perhaps lacking slight in overall power but some good potential. can MAYBE see something of a plan, but hard to tell. this one is a bit of a puzzle to me. need more information. i like the picks and mm can debate when he puts his mind to it.

DigiMark007
Bah! Midway grades.

...though the assessments are fairly accurate.

leonidas
Bah! Midway grades.

...though the assessments are fairly accurate.

laughing out loud

thanks. with your approval i'll be able to FINALLY sleep tonight! stick out tongue

Zeitgeist
Leo, I count at least five, maybe more characters that we each wanted so far... this isn't funny anymore. no expression

DigiMark007
laughing out loud

thanks. with your approval i'll be able to FINALLY sleep tonight! stick out tongue

I was talking about Smurph's.

no expression

leonidas
Leo, I count at least five, maybe more characters that we each wanted so far... this isn't funny anymore. no expression

i NEVER thought it was funny. no expression

too bad we weren't in the same pool . . . great minds . . . shifty

leonidas
I was talking about Smurph's.

no expression

oh, well . . .

thank god you gave HIM your approval. now he AND i will BOTH be able to finally sleep tonight.

stick out tongue

TricksterPriest
After seeing this, Meggan needs to be banned.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t425758.html

Read #3 on his hierarchy.

Zeitgeist
Oh, FFS...

leonidas
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
After seeing this, Meggan needs to be banned.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t425758.html

Read #3 on his hierarchy.

shock

i had no idea she could do something like that . . . (he says, laughing to himself and feeling very justified in NOT taking her . . .)

shifty

oh, and incidentally, you might just wanna scroll down a little and continue with #3 on that list then take a gander at akuki's picks . . .

whistle

TricksterPriest
I'm told that the sword of right is NOT the same as Excalibur.....****.

BANHAMMER........oh shit. There's no way to justify it. shock

Akuki
shock

i had no idea she could do something like that . . . (he says, laughing to himself and feeling very justified in NOT taking her . . .)

shifty

oh, and incidentally, you might just wanna scroll down a little and continue with #3 on that list then take a gander at akuki's picks . . .

whistle

The difference in my case is that my power is a result of the amalgam. Neither one of them individually have that level of power, whereas Meggan can become that powerful just by herself.

Zeitgeist
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I'm told that the sword of right is NOT the same as Excalibur.....****.

BANHAMMER........oh shit. There's no way to justify it. shock Leave it to Trick to freak out over something easily avoided...

Anyways, as for Meggan, anyone mind explaining how that's going to make her beat Wonder Woman?

Oh noes! Diana can't reality manip her!

no expression

Come one, people, we need actual application of abilities. This isn't the Cosmic Hierarchy thread.

Newjak
Bump

Martian_mind
Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade

interesting picks. perhaps lacking slight in overall power but some good potential. can MAYBE see something of a plan, but hard to tell. this one is a bit of a puzzle to me. need more information. i like the picks and mm can debate when he puts his mind to it.

.....Bastard

leonidas
Originally posted by Martian_mind
.....Bastard

i love you too. smile

Martian_mind
laughing out loud I dunno,just the "lacking in overpower" comment made me feel kinda...impotent..

leonidas
Originally posted by Martian_mind
laughing out loud I dunno,just the "lacking in overpower" comment made me feel kinda...impotent..

just judging by where your guys fall in the tiers is all. but i'm sure you have something planned. big grin

Mr. Slippyfist
just judging by where your guys fall in the tiers is all. but i'm sure you have something planned. big grin I doubt it...

---

Also, this is going to be my first tourney that I'm going to participate in without interruption (hopefully)... this is going to be great. smile
You might as well give me the win now... shifty

Martian_mind
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
I doubt it...

---

Also, this is going to be my first tourney that I'm going to participate in without interruption (hopefully)... this is going to be great. smile
You might as well give me the win now... shifty

Foreskins gonna crush you.

Akuki
So what are people's opinions on the new picks?

DigiMark007
You guys need to stop analyzing each round. I'm waiting for my glorious prognostications until all drafts are done.

leonidas
Blair

Single Pick2-Spartan w/Void

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt
Single Pick2-Animal Man

Charlotte

Single Pick1- X-Man

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova
Single Pick2-Apocalypse

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

Trick

Single Pick2-Metron

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima
Single Pick2-Magneto

Akuki

Single Pick1- Dr. Doom

Pr1983

Single Pick2-Makkari

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade
Single Pick2-

Leo

Single Pick1- Sersi
Amalgam1- Forge/Jay Garrick
Amalagam2-Savitar/Vulcan
Single Pick2-Ult. Reed Richards

darthgoober
Hey leo why do you keep leaving yourself off the list?

leonidas
so that it's like my picks never existed . . . shifty

ps-edited before you posted. stick out tongue

Martian_mind
Blair

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt
Single Pick2-Animal Man

Charlotte

Single Pick1- X-Man

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova
Single Pick2-Apocalypse

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

Trick

Single Pick2-Metron

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima
Single Pick2-Magneto

Akuki

Single Pick1- Dr. Doom

Pr1983

Single Pick2-Makkari

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade
Single Pick2-Malefic

Leo

Single Pick1- Sersi
Amalagam2-Savitar/Vulcan

Zeitgeist
Best pick this round?

batdude123
Metron.

Akuki
Originally posted by batdude123
Metron.
Only if metron doesn't get banned, only one more vote is needed.

Zeitgeist
Yeah... I think aside from Metron should be obvious, as seven votes gets him banned and he's near or at that at this point.

leonidas
Best pick this round?

ult reed. duh.

ps-your animal man in conjunction with meggan is second best imo. wink

leonidas
Blair

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt
Single Pick2-Animal Man

Charlotte

Single Pick1- X-Man

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova
Single Pick2-Apocalypse

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

Trick

Single Pick2-Metron

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima
Single Pick2-Magneto

Akuki

Single Pick1- Dr. Doom
Amalgam2-Witchfire (Demon)/Ultimate Superskrull

Pr1983

Single Pick2-Makkari

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade
Single Pick2- Malefic

Leo

Single Pick1- Sersi
Amalagam2-Savitar/Vulcan

i think this is now fully up-to-date . . .

Zeitgeist
Animal Man was clearly the best pick this round. 313

After that...

Hawksmoor could be good, if used right. I dunno what the Void's exact capabilities are, so I can't judge Spartan very well, but he sounds good... mmm

Ult. Reed Richards is good. Almost as good as the 616 version.

leonidas
Animal Man was clearly the best pick this round. 313

After that...

Hawksmoor could be good, if used right. I dunno what the Void's exact capabilities are, so I can't judge Spartan very well, but he sounds good... mmm

Ult. Reed Richards is good. Almost as good as the 616 version.

almost . . . shifty

and i don't know jack about the void either. erm

DigiMark007
As long as he limits himself to Spartan feats, from what I know of him he'll be fine for this tourney. Versatile and a competent brawler, but not over the caps. Because Void has done some insane sh*t on its own...like universe destruction. Though I think Hadrian (Spartan) only had a fragment of it, and never did anything like that personally, so all should be well.

Zeitgeist
Blair said all he gets is "some cool teleportation".

It'd still be nice to know the limits of that, mind you.

Yowsa
Well brute force he punched out Majestic but I don't really remember him doing much else apart from teleporting.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Yowsa
Well brute force he punched out Majestic but I don't really remember him doing much else apart from teleporting.

I think there was some context there we're missing. It may have been during Majestros' debilitating disease that made him << normal.

Or maybe you're onto something. He's had a lot of incarnations so it's a bit hard to keep track.

Blair Wind
ermm

Simple Answer: Spartan had the numbers advantage with older suits bum rushing him.

Blair Wind
With the exception of one or two characters left to pick, we have the final lineups here smile

Blair

Single Pick2-Light Ray
Amalgam Pick3- Spartan w/Void/Persuader

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor
Single Pick3- Access

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt
Single Pick2-Animal Man
Single Pick3- Ray
Amalgam Pick3- Sprite/Jor-el

Charlotte

Single Pick1- ???
Single Pick3- Apollo

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova
Single Pick2-Apocalypse

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

Trick

Single Pick2-Metron
Single Pick3- Darkness

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima
Single Pick2-Magneto

Akuki

Single Pick3- Prodigy

Pr1983

Single Pick2-Makkari
Single Pick3- Geo-Force

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade
Single Pick2- Malefic
Amalgam Pick3- ???

Leo

Single Pick1- Forge
Single Pick2- Wiz Kid
Single Pick3- Black Box

DigiMark007
Blah, I promised a full analysis, but I'm dealing with my tourney right now.

So...

"Charlotte wins via Authority stompage"

K. Done.

leonidas
bottom of the page sucks. no expression

With the exception of one or two characters left to pick, we have the final lineups here smile

Blair

Single Pick2-Light Ray

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor
Single Pick3- Access

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt
Single Pick2-Animal Man
Single Pick3- Ray

Charlotte

Single Pick1- ???
Single Pick3- Apollo

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova
Single Pick2-Apocalypse

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

Trick

Single Pick2-Metron
Single Pick3- Darkness

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima
Single Pick2-Magneto

Akuki

Single Pick3- Prodigy

Pr1983

Single Pick2-Makkari
Single Pick3- Geo-Force

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade
Single Pick2- Malefic
Amalgam Pick3- ???

Leo

Single Pick1- Forge
Single Pick2- Wiz Kid
Single Pick3- Black Box

leonidas
damn. there are some STRONG f****** teams in this thing. no expression

anyone wanna try and take a shot at seeding them?

leonidas
anyone have thoughts on some of the 'cool' picks? personally, i like bw's persuader and kallor thom. goob's choice of rune was cool. i actually considered him for a bit. sage was a GREAT pick imo. bastard. indigo and cloak are cool picks as are machine man and prodigy, imo.

and of course my own are all VERY cool. wink

DigiMark007
damn. there are some STRONG f****** teams in this thing. no expression

anyone wanna try and take a shot at seeding them?

I will. Just not now. Maybe tonight, once I finish skewering debating with goob.

Mr. Slippyfist
Iron Fist was a magnificent pick... shifty

DigiMark007
K then.

Trends: Speedsters; Tech-oriented prep possibilities

Tourney: Certifiably insane. 9 people? Partners?!?! Random prep times? Fun stuff, but hard to make predictions with such variables. I can't decide how the partnering system will help/hurt certain people more than others, so there's a lot that can't be told just from rosters.

But, despite that, my tentative team assessments (and "seeds" at the bottom):

Blair

Single Pick2-Light Ray

Wundarr has raised eyebrows, and he certainly can match most people in terms of tech (Ivo/Jeffries is obvious, for example, but potentially incredibly effective). I feel like Blair drafted well, but didn't do more than some others did in a lot of areas, and might lack in raw power. So it's not a knock on him, but rather a compliment to the field, to say that I don't see him as an outright favorite like he normally is. Still, underestimating Blair is foolish, at best, and there are doubtless plans here that no one but Blair has thought of yet.

Goober

Amalgam1-He-Man/Skeletor
Single Pick3- Access

There's a well-known maxim that I'll probably badly paraphrase here: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. This applies to any ambitious tourney prep, but being privy to goober's ideas this tourney, I can say that some extraordinarily creative things will happen in his matches. He has, however, complimented it with a fair amount of raw power (He-Man/Skeletor isn't just a fanboy crush, and Creel is always dangerous when used effectively). I'm not ready to declare him the favorite, and there's a few holes in his team such as speed, but he's among the strongest teams imo.

Smurph

Single Pick1- Black Bolt
Single Pick2-Animal Man
Single Pick3- Ray

Might be the best picks top to bottom in the tourney. The number of possibilities open to Animal Man is staggering, and with such combos as Firestorm and Reed, he'll be able to counter a lot of opposing tech.

Charlotte

Single Pick1- ???
Single Pick3- Apollo

Authority! I'll be honest, even with my Authority knowledge I have no idea where Charlotte is headed here. If she can port a city to Jack or something, this team is in business. A sentient attacking city is enough to give entire teams trouble, even in this tourney. Also, can Shift fly? Even if she can't, others can. Charlotte might have taken a page from past tourneys and worked it to her advantage. Can't give her high marks until I see the plan though. Apollo is equal to most bricks at this level if complimented properly, but could be a liability.

Bran

Amalgam2-Cable/Nova
Single Pick2-Apocalypse

"Team Jobber" ( stick out tongue ). MM, Poccy, and Juggs (who jobs in tourneys). Seriously though, this team rivals Smurph in terms of raw power (sans prep). Northstar/Juggs is...scary. The gem could also end up being something that swings matches in Bran's favor.

Laminator X

Single Pick1- Loki

Lacking overt power, Lam's gonna need his plans to come together to have a shot. Alex Luthor is one of those picks where no one really argues, but everyone thinks "crap...what did he get drafted for?" To me, it seems like Lam will either win a bunch or go winless.

Trick

Single Pick2-Metron
Single Pick3- Darkness

It's Trick, so it's hard to say. I like Darkness, Ray, etc. but can't endorse a Trcikster-team with any certainty until he displays the ability to compete properly.

Devil lance

Single Pick1- Maxima
Single Pick2-Magneto

Krypto might be my favorite pick all tourney, Authority included. Death Metal is a stud. Problem here is that DL definitely has a cap on his power, unless there's something I'm not seeing in the meshes. He'll be solid, but anyone who convinces the judges that their crazy prep-stuff will work will be beyond him.

Akuki

Single Pick3- Prodigy

I really want to see Doom used properly. Spawn is amorphic in any Age. I'll make Akuki my "wildcard" distinction, because I don't know anything for certain but I feel like there's a lot of different possibilities here.

Pr1983

Single Pick2-Makkari
Single Pick3- Geo-Force

"Forces of Nature" ...some team had that in a past tourney, but it applies here too. Fire(storm), Earth (Geo), Wind (Tornado), Light. If he had drafted Thing for Heart he could've summoned Cpt. Planet and owned everyone. But alas. Much like DL, solid as hell but I feel like there's a lower potential cap on this team. Maybe pr can prove me wrong.

Martian

Single Pick1- Nightshade
Single Pick2- Malefic
Amalgam Pick3- Cpt. Marvel/Enchantress

Billy's likely getting banned, but meh. Not sure what's going on here, and I can't say I'd be too intimidated by this team. Not terrible (no one did poorly in drafts, imo, so I hesitate to talk negatively) but at the lower end imo.

Leo

Single Pick1- Forge
Single Pick2- Wiz Kid
Single Pick3- Black Box

Forge. Reed. Black Box. Cerebro. Wiz Kid. Leo's went for tech overload, and drafted the speed and matter manip to help him with it. Insane potential, but it may come down to how much stuff leo can dig up in research, and whether he can find ways to counter other teams. I'm guessing he can, for the most part, since I know how the man operates. But only time will tell.

Seeds:
...keep in mind, these are unofficial, and I wish everyone good luck. A LOT will change once battles start.
1-Smurph
2-Goober
3-Leo
4-Akuki
5-Blair
6-Lam
7-Bran
8-DL
9-Pr
10-Charlotte
11-MM
12-Trick

Charlotte DeBel
Shift is he and he can fly...and not only fly, but some interesting stuff to add to thatwink And amalgamated with Pym's scientific mind...the amouth of possibilities are endless. But I'll PM you some of my grand plans so as not to spoil them to my opponents.

My single repick one was Graviton, darling.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=479188&pagenumber=4

Laminator_X
The analyses have been fun to read. However, none of them seem to have taken into account how teams might work together.

Blair Wind
So lets hear from you stick out tongue

Also, Digi, if you want I can let you in on my secrets. Just ask smile

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>