Return of Gog...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
Well it's been building up for a while now, and we're are finally seeing it come into fruition...

So what are your thoughts on Gog's return? Where do you think DC is going with this?

Raoul
Originally posted by Galan007
Well it's been building up for a while now, and we're are finally seeing it come into fruition...

So what are your thoughts on Gog's return? Where do you think DC is going with this?

final crisis? ermm

Galan007
I was thinking this could tie into Final Crisis as well -- not really sure how though..

Raoul
I was thinking this could tie into Final Crisis as well -- not really sure how though..

i'm sure johns will figure something out... i'd say atm they're trying to make sure that fc is as all inclusive as possible...

Juntai
The JSA storyline has been awesome. It's still the best teambook hands down.

Rorschach

WrathfulDwarf
If DC is thinking right...he plays a major role in FC.

Hmm...I wonder how this Gog would deal with the current Captain Atom (i.e. Monarch)

Galan007

tjcoady
As much as I'm digging on the current JSA storyline, to be honest, I find all the wanking over Kingdom Come and anything Alex Ross has ever done kind of annoying (Red Robin costume, Plastic Man's son adopting the name Offspring, Gog, KC Superman on DC Earth...)

But I didn't like Kingdom Come all that much, so meh.

Galan007
Originally posted by tjcoady
But I didn't like Kingdom Come all that much, so meh. none

I'm pretty sure that's a bannable offense.

Soljer
none

I'm pretty sure that's a bannable offense.

If it isn't, it should be.

llagrok

What?

King_Mungi
Well I'm liking it, and I kinda have the feeling KC Superman might die fighting Gog

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Soljer
If it isn't, it should be.

I'll get to work on that...

Galan007
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Well I'm liking it, and I kinda have the feeling KC Superman might die fighting Gog I agree. sad

King_Mungi
I agree. sad

He's really just to strong to keep around, and he does play an important part in Final Crisis

Galan007
He's really just to strong to keep around, and he does play an important part in Final Crisis True..

I wonder if Gog would take KC Supes out, then someone else will step up to the plate and kill Gog -- Or if it will be like the Doomsday fight, , and they'll both die?

King_Mungi
I think Power Girl will step up, as DC has been pushing her and the two have a connection.

Soljer
I think Power Girl will step up, as DC has been pushing her and the two have a connection.

It doesn't matter how much DC has been pushing her - there isn't a real logical way for Power Girl to play in the same league as someone who just killed KC Superman.

King_Mungi
It doesn't matter how much DC has been pushing her - there isn't a real logical way for Power Girl to play in the same league as someone who just killed KC Superman.

Well they could explain it KC Superman weakened Gog, which allowed her to do it or some PIS/CIS thing

Soljer
Well they could explain it KC Superman weakened Gog, which allowed her to do it or some PIS/CIS thing

*shrug*

Maybe they could pull it off...but that sounds like a very disappointing and anti-climactic ending.

I'd much rather have KC Superman and Gog go down ala 'Death of Superman' than have Superman somehow 'loosen the lid' for powergirl. So to speak.

Galan007
It doesn't matter how much DC has been pushing her - there isn't a real logical way for Power Girl to play in the same league as someone who just killed KC Superman. I agree.

That's something I could see 'regular' Superman pulling off, because.... well, he's Superman...

But Power Girl beating Gog in any way/shape/form, is meh.

King_Mungi
I'd much rather have KC Superman and Gog go down ala 'Death of Superman' than have Superman somehow 'loosen the lid' for powergirl. So to speak.

As would I, I just have the feeling Power Girl will play a role...hope I'm wrong.

HueyFreeman
I doubt this will tie in to final crisis. My bet is it will be its own self contained story.

TricksterPriest
I'm not sure how they could manage it, but I'd love to see them work Doomsday back into this.

And yeah, looks like the bell is probably tolling for KC Supes. sad

llagrok
what comic is this?

King_Mungi
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
I doubt this will tie in to final crisis. My bet is it will be its own self contained story.

He was in the Countdown/Final Crisis teaser poster holding in his hand an atom symbol.

starlock
Not trying to bring marvel into this...but does the face of the one gog was kneeling at remind anyone of the New Warriors enemy Sphinx?
the one with the Ka Stone?Could they in some way be related(as in hercules and myths and mythical gods and such)

Anyway i also think JSA has been one of the best comics around, and i think KC supes might go down with Gog...as people have guessed

Deathstroke
Originally posted by llagrok
what comic is this?

Justice Society of America

llagrok
Originally posted by Deathstroke
Justice Society of America

Thanks.

Good issue smile

HueyFreeman
He was in the Countdown/Final Crisis teaser poster holding in his hand an atom symbol. You mean that one with everyone in it?

King_Mungi
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
You mean that one with everyone in it?

No,

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/countdown/SecondTease/BadBoys_mid.html

Galan007
He was in the Countdown/Final Crisis teaser poster holding in his hand an atom symbol. Pfft...

It's clearly the aura from a yellow ring. uhuh

King_Mungi
Pfft...

It's clearly the aura from a yellow ring. vin

It's an atom symbol

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/DarkseidRes/SupermanBatman040-1617-1.jpg

*clearer image*

Galan007
It's an atom symbol

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/DarkseidRes/SupermanBatman040-1617-1.jpg

*clearer image* Bollocks!

You edited the photo. uhuh

King_Mungi
Bollocks!

You edited the photo. uhuh

MS Paint? shifty

Galan007
MS Paint? shifty All the pros use Paint.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/galan007_pics/th_jlaf.gif

King_Mungi
I have troubles drawing a straight line sad

Galan007
I have troubles drawing a straight line sad Good thing squiggley lines are what make up Atom's symbol then, huh? peaches

Master-Borg
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I'm not sure how they could manage it, but I'd love to see them work Doomsday back into this.

seconded.

Galan007
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I'm not sure how they could manage it, but I'd love to see them work Doomsday back into this. When was the last time we saw DD? When Imperiex fried him?

King_Mungi
Good thing squiggley lines are what make up Atom's symbol then, huh? peaches

You sure owned me at my own game

When was the last time we saw DD? When Imperiex fried him?

Infinite Crisis, Earth 1 & 2 Supermen defeated him rather quickly. However, in upcoming solicits Doomsday is making a come back
===
SUPERMAN/BATMAN #48
Written by Michael Green & Mike Johnson
Art and cover by Shane Davis & Matt “Batt” Banning

The penultimate chapter of “K” presents Superman vs. AAB (The All-American Boy) in a no-holds-barred fight through Smallville! Only Heroes scribe Michael Green and his writing partner, Mike Johnson, could create the AAB — a supersoldier with Doomsday’s DNA that’s infused with Kryptonite! Can Batman help the Man of Steel defeat AAB, or will we witness “The Death of Superman” all over again?

Master-Borg
what comic(s) is this return of gog taking place in?

Symmetric Chaos
Michael Green and his writing partner, Mike Johnson

That is some awkward phrasing.

tjcoady
You sure owned me at my own game

Infinite Crisis, Earth 1 & 2 Supermen defeated him rather quickly. However, in upcoming solicits Doomsday is making a come back
===
SUPERMAN/BATMAN #48

The penultimate chapter of “K” presents Superman vs. AAB (The All-American Boy) in a no-holds-barred fight through Smallville! Only Heroes scribe Michael Green and his writing partner, Mike Johnson, could create the AAB — a supersoldier with Doomsday’s DNA that’s infused with Kryptonite! Can Batman help the Man of Steel defeat AAB, or will we witness “The Death of Superman” all over again?

Honestly? Doomsday with Kryptonite genes?

I generally prefer not to judge a book till I've read it... but using the (aesthetically piss-poor) phrase "Only Heroes scribe Micheal Green and his writing partner, Mike John could create the AAB" seems like an almost herculean amount of hyperbole. The idea of a kryptonite-Doomsday sounds like the villain a thirteen year old would come up with in poorly-though-out fan fiction.

Master-Borg
The idea of a kryptonite-Doomsday sounds like the villain a thirteen year old would come up with in poorly-though-out fan fiction.

agreed...sounds plain stupid.

and it's not like DD ever needed a plot device to beat Superman

King_Mungi
Why did my text go all funky? well here is the solicit and cover:

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/May08/solicitations.html

Galan007
You sure owned me at my own game evillaugh

===
SUPERMAN/BATMAN #48

The penultimate chapter of “K” presents Superman vs. AAB (The All-American Boy) in a no-holds-barred fight through Smallville! Only Heroes scribe Michael Green and his writing partner, Mike Johnson, could create the AAB — a supersoldier with Doomsday’s DNA that’s infused with Kryptonite! Can Batman help the Man of Steel defeat AAB, or will we witness “The Death of Superman” all over again? Ehh?? confused

King_Mungi
evillaugh

Ehh?? confused

Yeah the text got all weird when I copied and pasted, but to sum it up a new Doomsday is being made with Kryptonite in him.

Deathstroke
Originally posted by Master-Borg
what comic(s) is this return of gog taking place in?

The current JSA arc.

Galan007
Yeah the text got all weird when I copied and pasted, but to sum it up a new Doomsday is being made with Kryptonite in him. Doesn't seem like it's DD per say -- but rather, a being infused with DD's DNA... .

Symmetric Chaos
Why did my text go all funky? well here is the solicit and cover:

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/May08/solicitations.html

Newsarama and KMC are coded differently.

Zeitgeist
Doesn't seem like it's DD per say -- but rather, a being infused with DD's DNA... . Would be really funny if he still had spliced Superman's genes, and then had the Kryptonite...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Zeitgeist
Would be really funny if he still had spliced Superman's genes, and then had the Kryptonite...

laughing

King_Mungi
Doesn't seem like it's DD per say -- but rather, a being infused with DD's DNA... .

Yeah it's not the real Doomsday, the real Doomsday is still on Apokolips being tested and modified on.

Galan007
Yeah it's not the real Doomsday, the real Doomsday is still on Apokolips being tested and modified on. When did the 'real' DD get sent to Apokolips?

King_Mungi
When did the 'real' DD get sent to Apokolips?

Imperix War, after Doomsday was incinerated Darkseid found him and repaired him and then gave him to Lex to use. At the end of the story Lex gave back Doomsday to Darkseid for helping him

In superman/batman Darkseid made Doomsday clones, but I guess he was freed during Infinite Crisis

Galan007
Imperix War, after Doomsday was incinerated Darkseid found him and repaired him and then gave him to Lex to use. In the end of the story for helping him Lex gave back Doomsday to Darkseid That's right...

*wonders if Darkseid will pull DD as a trump card?* mmm

droolio

Deathstroke

King_Mungi
Doubt it as Doomsday was on Earth during Infinite Crisis, so I guess he was freed.

Here's the scans for anyone who was interested
---------------------------------------------
Superman #175
It was Darkseid who retrieved and repairing Doomsday after Imperix incinerated him, and he also with Luthor released him to battle Superman

1. http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/DarkseidRes/Supermanv2175-33.jpg
2. http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/DarkseidRes/Supermanv2175-34.jpg

Mr. Slippyfist
Doubt it as Doomsday was on Earth during Infinite Crisis, so I guess he was freed.

Here's the scans for anyone who was interested
---------------------------------------------
Superman #175
It was Darkseid who retrieved and repairing Doomsday after Imperix incinerated him, and he also with Luthor released him to battle Superman

1. http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/DarkseidRes/Supermanv2175-33.jpg
2. http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/DarkseidRes/Supermanv2175-34.jpg Doomsday was released after the Gog Wars I believe...

A couple Action Comics earlier, Darkseid came to Earth looking for DD. Then he was let go (memory's foggy, as I haven't read that little AC event in a while), and then he reappeared in Villains United and then IC.

King_Mungi
Dur! I forgot about Gog Wars

Martian_mind
As much as I'm digging on the current JSA storyline, to be honest, I find all the wanking over Kingdom Come and anything Alex Ross has ever done kind of annoying (Red Robin costume, Plastic Man's son adopting the name Offspring, Gog, KC Superman on DC Earth...)

At last,a kindred spirit!!

Yet another reason why i consider you made of win...

tjcoady
Originally posted by Martian_mind

Yet another reason why i consider you made of win...

I know... people who thought KC was worth reading but not unbelievable are pretty rare on this forum.

Damn, I've never been made of win before. Sweet.

Mr. Slippyfist

Yet another reason why i consider you made of win... Because Whining Failhunter wasn't in it? stick out tongue

Martian_mind
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
Because Whining Failhunter wasn't in it? stick out tongue

No,i just thought it wasn't as good as it's touted.

plus,must Alex Ross make all Women look like 40 year old transvestites?

(Just look at his Powergirl)

Galan007
No,i just thought it wasn't as good as it's touted. I have to ask...

What comic(s) would you put above KC, ?

Newjak
I have to ask...

What comic(s) would you put above KC, ? Onslaught Saga embarrasment

Galan007
Originally posted by Newjak
Onslaught Saga embarrasment That really wouldn't suprise me. srsly

I am by no means saying KC needs to be everyone's favorite series -- but it is certainly as good as most people make it out to be, imo.

Galan007

Newjak
That really wouldn't suprise me. srsly

I am by no means saying KC needs to be everyone's favorite series -- but it is certainly as good as most people make it out to be, imo. All I'm saying is why ask him?

It's a comic book opinion goes a long way in deciding what is good and isn't.

Just cause a lot of people thought KC was good, doesn't mean others have to like it, or can not think it is overrated.

I mean if he posts a list like

Onslaught Saga
Phoenix Saga
The Kingdom
Countdown

What exactly would be your response stick out tongue

Galan007

Onslaught Saga
Phoenix Saga
The Kingdom
Countdown

What exactly would be your response stick out tongue Probably this smilie ---> none <---

Bentley
I have to ask...

Bunches honestly, new Cap series could do it, Redson was hot. To me KC was never as epic as it was supposed to be.

Newjak
Probably this smilie ---> none <--- I figured stick out tongue

Now what if he posted a list like

The Watchman
Annihilation
COIE
Sinestro Corps War

What would be your response?

Galan007
I figured stick out tongue

Now what if he posted a list like

The Watchman
Annihilation
COIE
Sinestro Corps War

What would be your response? srug

I'm just trying to get a feel for what type of comics he enjoys reading -- ie. that particular story may not revolve around the type of artwork, story, writing, etc. he's into.

Like I said before,
I'm not saying anyone has to like KC -- but when all is said and done, you can't deny that it was a great mini.

Symmetric Chaos
All I'm saying is why ask him?

It's a comic book opinion goes a long way in deciding what is good and isn't.

Just cause a lot of people thought KC was good, doesn't mean others have to like it, or can not think it is overrated.

Onslaught Saga
Phoenix Saga
The Kingdom
Countdown

What exactly would be your response stick out tongue

Hey, I liked 52.

Rorschach
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Hey, I liked 52.

52 was awesome.

Mr. Slippyfist
Hey, I liked 52. Originally posted by Rorschach
52 was awesome.

Newjak
srug

I'm just trying to get a feel for what type of comics he enjoys reading -- ie. that particular story may not revolve around the type of artwork, story, writing, etc. he's into.

Like I said before,
I'm not saying anyone has to like KC -- but when all is said and done, you can't deny that it was a great mini. Except you can deny it was a great mini if you didn't like it erm

Hey, I liked 52. Fine then 52 is awesome.

Make you feel better stick out tongue

Galan007
Except you can deny it was a great mini if you didn't like it ermhttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/galan007_pics/th_jlaf.gif

Fine then 52 is awesome.

Make you feel better stick out tongue 52 was good at times, but much like Countdown -- it was utter crap occasionally.

Juntai
Originally posted by Rorschach
52 was awesome. Cosign.
I also imagine, that when I go back and read Countdown in it's entirety, it'll be very good as well. Pacing is just really tough on a weekly.

Newjak
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/galan007_pics/th_jlaf.gif

52 was good at times, but much like Countdown -- it was utter crap occasionally. That's right laugh away your life.

Honestly 52 and Countdown were crap IMO.

Sinestro Corps blows those two out of the water. stick out tongue

Galan007
Honestly 52 and Countdown were crap IMO.

Sinestro Corps blows those two out of the water. stick out tongue I agree, that SC was better..

But 52 was pretty good, and Countdown has been okay at times, imo.

Newjak
I agree, that SC was better..

But 52 was pretty good, and Countdown has been okay at times, imo. Not bad nothing to write home about though.

I'll probably forget about those mini's in a few years.

So what has been your favorite mini in the past few.

Galan007
Not bad nothing to write home about though.

I'll probably forget about those mini's in a few years.

So what has been your favorite mini in the past few. I'd honestly go with the Sinestro Corps War.

The last issue was just as, if not more, enjoyable then the first issue.

Newjak
I'd honestly go with the Sinestro Corps War.

The last issue was just as, if not more, enjoyable then the first issue. I agree

quanchi112
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
If DC is thinking right...he plays a major role in FC.

Hmm...I wonder how this Gog would deal with the current Captain Atom (i.e. Monarch) Thats a fight everyone would like to see....I hope Gog kicks his ass.

Devil Lance
I'd honestly go with the Sinestro Corps War.

The last issue was just as, if not more, enjoyable then the first issue.

But was SC really a mini ? confused

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Devil Lance
But was SC really a mini ? confused

Technically it's a maxi-series, as I think it was more then 12 issues

Devil Lance
Technically it's a maxi-series, as I think it was more then 12 issues

But it was spread out over two books usually when something is a mini or a maxi series its only one book
SC was more of a crossover event than anything

tjcoady
I have to ask...

Above KC? A ton:

American Splendor
Promothea
Love and Rockets
Transmetropolitan
Moore's run Swamp Thing
The Invisibles
Morrison JLA
Dark Knight Returns
Ennis/Ellis/Diggle/Carey runs on Hellblazer
Sandman
Shade, the Changing Man
League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Zenith
Authority
Planetary
Flex Mentallo
Top Ten
Doom Patrol
Dark Knight Returns
To Hell and Back: A Sin City Love Story

... and a lot more.

I would consider all of those to be better comics, in nearly all regards, than Kingdom Come.

And while I recognize the aesthetics behind Ross' art and I do like Waid's writing a hell of a lot (except for X:O Man of War), KC just didn't really do it for me.

There's something about the highly stylized, "I'm so epic" feel of Ross' artwork that's just kind of off-putting. To be honest, I preferred what he did in Justice.

I'm not saying Kingdom Come wasn't good, and I'm not deriding people who liked it. It's just not really for me.

Galan007
Above KC? A ton:

American Splendor
Promothea
Love and Rockets
Transmetropolitan
Moore's run Swamp Thing
The Invisibles
Morrison JLA
Dark Knight Returns
Ennis/Ellis/Diggle/Carey runs on Hellblazer
Sandman
Shade, the Changing Man
League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Zenith
Authority
Planetary
Flex Mentallo
Top Ten
Doom Patrol
Dark Knight Returns
To Hell and Back: A Sin City Love Story

... and a lot more.

I would consider all of those to be better comics, in nearly all regards, than Kingdom Come.

And while I recognize the aesthetics behind Ross' art and I do like Waid's writing a hell of a lot (except for X:O Man of War), KC just didn't really do it for me.

There's something about the highly stylized, "I'm so epic" feel of Ross' artwork that's just kind of off-putting. To be honest, I preferred what he did in Justice.

I'm not saying Kingdom Come wasn't good, and I'm not deriding people who liked it. It's just not really for me. Personal preference, I guess.

All the titles you listed are good // but personally, I would put KC above a few of them. srug

Again,
it just comes down to what each individual person enjoys reading more.

Gecko4lif
Nothing is above OMAC and all star batman thumb up

tjcoady
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
Nothing is above OMAC and all star batman thumb up

All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder, isn't even a comic book. It's a little chunk of heaven fallen down to man.

willRules
laughing

Rorschach
WIZARD INSIDER: GOG

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/031008gog.html

Yeah, I know Wizard sucks. no expression

Juntai
All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder, isn't even a comic book. It's a little chunk of heaven fallen down to man. That comic is awesome... when it actually comes out. The first few issues had me skeptical, but it's turned around a lot since.

Galan007
Originally posted by Juntai
That comic is awesome... when it actually comes out. The first few issues had me skeptical, but it's turned around a lot since. Meh,
It's been okay..

As far as the "All-Star" Universe is concerned -- A/S Superman has been the 'go to', imo.

Juntai
Meh,
It's been okay..

As far as the "All-Star" Universe is concerned -- A/S Superman has been the 'go to', imo. All Star Superman is incredible as well. Needless to say i could collect both titles till the end of time and be happy with it. Which is probably how long it will take both titles to get out their next issue.

They tried to differential 'All Star' DC from "Ultimate" Marvel, but it's easy to see the resemblence -- the shipping schedule.

Galan007
Originally posted by Juntai
They tried to differential 'All Star' DC from "Ultimate" Marvel, but it's easy to see the resemblence -- the shipping schedule. laughing

So true..

Soljer
Meh,
It's been okay..

As far as the "All-Star" Universe is concerned -- A/S Superman has been the 'go to', imo.

I believe there is no such thing as the 'All-Star' universe.

Being that All-Star Batman and All-Star Superman do not share continuity.

Rather, there is the All-Star Superman universe and the All-Star Batman (and Robin, the Boy Wonder) universe.

Galan007
I believe there is no such thing as the 'All-Star' universe.

Being that All-Star Batman and All-Star Superman do not share continuity.

Rather, there is the All-Star Superman universe and the All-Star Batman (and Robin, the Boy Wonder) universe. I didn't mean my post to sound like All-Star is a literal Universe in DC.

I was referring to it 'material-wise' -- .

smile.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.