The origins of the Jedi.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Where did it all begin? When was the force discovered?

According to Darth Bane: Rule of Two, they supposedly originated as a tribe on the planet of Tython in the deep core.

"Much older Legends identified Tython as the original birthplace of the Jedi order, over twenty-five years before. According to the tale, priests and philosophers of the world had the ability to draw upon a mystical energy they called Ashla; a power that represented all compassion and mercy in the universe. They were opposed by a rival group that drew their strength from the Boga, the manifestation of raw passion and uncontroled emotion.

The stories said that a great war ensued between the two groups, with the worshipers of the Ashla emerging victorious. The first Jedi Knights supposedly had evolved from the survivors of the war, creating the first lightsabers in their initiation ceremonies. Many years later some of these Jedi left Tython and braved the unstable hyperspace routs to share their beliefs with the worlds beyond the deep core. And as they met and mingled with the other civilizations, Ashla snd Boga became more commonly known as the light and dark sides of the force."

Thoughts?

Tangible God
No thoughts in 5 hours. Imaginative lot aren't we?

Frankly, I prefer the idea that the Jedi formed out of a collection of like-minded individuals, not on one planet isolated from the galaxy, but out of a group of beings who had come into contact centuries before. Kinda like a big convention for people who could feel the Force, who then decided to form an official group along with the Republic's creation.

The notion that the whole thing came about in one go in one place between so few beings on some isolated world sounds kinda boring to me.

xxxpoppunker182

Captain REX
They had to retcon that, it seems. The First Great Schism did not originally take place on Tython, not to mention that the war took place on several worlds, not just Tython.

Yep, I've been reading the Jedi vs. Sith guide...

LORD JLRTENJAC
I have to admit, I like the idea that it came from one location beter, because that would seem more realistic, since few, if any, religions begin as a wide spread religion. the start in a small area and expand. It may not be exciting, but it does seem like that's how it would work.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Tangible God
No thoughts in 5 hours. Imaginative lot aren't we?

Yup, and that's why we're fans, and not writers.

The big EH
it's like a calender, everybody claims to have made the first one, nobody knows for sure and they all vary slightly

LORD JLRTENJAC
hmm... Interesting Metaphor...

The big EH
thankyou

Captain REX
Originally posted by LORD JLRTENJAC
I have to admit, I like the idea that it came from one location beter, because that would seem more realistic, since few, if any, religions begin as a wide spread religion. the start in a small area and expand. It may not be exciting, but it does seem like that's how it would work.

The thing is that the Force is not simply a religion. In this case, they could have been guided to each other by the will of the Force, leading to this group of special people to realizing their common ability and what they could do with it, and thus the birth of the Jedi Order.

I'm guessing that was the original plan, but looks like they've narrowed it down...

exanda kane
Obviously it was a mishap during stem cell research.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Captain REX
The thing is that the Force is not simply a religion. In this case, they could have been guided to each other by the will of the Force, leading to this group of special people to realizing their common ability and what they could do with it, and thus the birth of the Jedi Order.

I'm guessing that was the original plan, but looks like they've narrowed it down...

That is a good point.

Lt. Valerian
Originally posted by Captain REX

Could be, it makes sense.

0°Mandalore°0
There are several explanations and claims, concerning the creation of the Jedi and Sith Orders. Does anyone know if any of these claims are canon?

Captain REX
The currently canon origin of the Jedi Order comes from origins on Tython, where an organization of Force-users came together to create an Order that would selflessly dedicate itself to defending the galaxy. Along the line, other Force-using organizations merged with the Order, and then they searched for other individuals that were strong in the Force.

The Sith Order was born after the First Schism, in which the Dark Jedi were banished from the known galaxy for their war crimes. They happened upon Korriban, and from their subjugated the indigeousness Sith people, titling themselves Sith Lords and setting the groundwork for the Sith Order.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Currently canon... Meaning it can change? Can noone stick to a story anymore?

gungfusteve
I am new here but I am not new in the world and I have been thinking rather hard about how the Jedi are really an organization of force-users dedicated to the survival of the social contract and the Sith are simply those who force-users who reject it in their struggle for some kind of dominion over others. Social contract, as a philosophical concept, is something that would be necessary for any society and would serve as a unifying concept around which and order such as the Jedi could form. It doesn't need to have a specific, traceable origin if it is a pervasive theme in the social organization of every civilization. I wonder if anyone has ever taken the time to write philosophically about how the Jedi Order is pro-society and the Sith Order is pro-individual. Any thoughts on that?

I think it would be interesting to be the writer who canonizes the jedi order origins by describing -an- origin story. I haven't read a star wars novel myself since the new jedi order novels have been around, but I did read all of those that were in print between 1996 and 1999. I think the potential for inclusion of deep and potentially galactically-pervasive philosophical musings is just...awesome. And movie rights? Can you imagine how immense a low-budget, "indie" Star Wars Jedi Origin Story prequel would be?

Red Nemesis
That has the potential for unspeakable awesome. (Welcome to KMC! big grin)

I have to wonder, how many people would freak out that Yoda wasn't in it?

Shey Tapani
I hope the TOR timeline vids are going to clear that up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.