Sex Ed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cococryspies
I know there's probobly already a thread on this but,

Recently while i was listening to the radio late at night one of those "Stay Teen" ads came on. It started off okay. It said the usual, "the only sure way not to get pregnant is to not have sex." That was fine, that was true.

But then they just had to had to ad this gem:

"1 in 3 girls gets pregnant before the age of 18"

WTF?

I though, yeah, in the world, counting all the countries where you get married when you're 15, are a grandparent by 30, and die when your 40.

But how could they put a ****ed up stat like that in an ad addressing American teenagers?

The reason teen pregnancy is so high isn't cause of sex, its cause teenagers are getting facts like "If you jump up and down after you won't get pregnant".

Feeding them more lies isn't gonna counteract that, its just gonna produce more ignorant (and horny) teenagers.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by cococryspies

Recently while i was listening to the radio late at night one of those "Stay Teen" ads came on. It started off okay. It said the usual, "the only sure way not to get pregnant is to not have sex." That was fine, that was true.

WTF?

I though, yeah, in the world, counting all the countries where you get married when you're 15, are a grandparent by 30, and die when your 40.

But how could they put a ****ed up stat like that in an ad addressing American teenagers?

The reason teen pregnancy is so high isn't cause of sex, its cause teenagers are getting facts like "If you jump up and down after you won't get pregnant".

Feeding them more lies isn't gonna counteract that, its just gonna produce more ignorant (and horny) teenagers.

laughing And this has what to do with the Religious forum?

Tim Rout

WTF?

I have not seen the add, so I will reserve judgment on its contents.

That said, I am rather curious about your last statement. While you admit that girls who don't have sex don't get pregnant, you also assert that teen pregnancy is not resultant from teen sex. That is not logical. Unless you are arguing that some teen mothers become pregnant through artificial insemination, there can be no doubt that sex was the facilitating agency. If, on the other hand, you are asserting that better birth control education would solve the problem, you would again be proposing facts not in evidence, since abstinence is the only fool proof form of birth control.

Jbill311
Yes abstinence is the only surefire way, but it is also the least fun. STDs can be passed from multiple kinds of sex (SURPRISE TAKE A STEP BACKWARDS!) and if a teen does not know about safe sex, then they can be swapped. In my opinion, the more you know- the further you go. (LULZ! Buzz words) The more education- or knowledge- anyone has, the better decisions they can make.

cococryspies
Originally posted by Tim Rout
That said, I am rather curious about your last statement. While you admit that girls who don't have sex don't get pregnant, you also assert that teen pregnancy is not resultant from teen sex. That is not logical. Unless you are arguing that some teen mothers become pregnant through artificial insemination, there can be no doubt that sex was the facilitating agency. If, on the other hand, you are asserting that better birth control education would solve the problem, you would again be proposing facts not in evidence, since abstinence is the only fool proof form of birth control.

But if all the kids who were having sex where using birth control and condoms the teen birth rate would be much lower than it is now.

I understand sex=babies, but kids have sex no matter what people tell them, and since people are telling them false things about pregnancy they're having unprotected sex which = more babies.

Mark Question
Abstinence is not realistic. Sexual education is important.

Symmetric Chaos

WTF?

While your wording expresses a certain level of nationalistic bigotry you are correct.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_ATSRH.html#n32

"Each year, almost 750,000 women aged 15-19 become pregnant. Overall, 75 pregnancies occur every year per 1,000 women aged 15-19; this rate has declined 36% since its peak in 1990."

Now it's been a while since I took a bio class but I'm relatively sure that sex has some involvement in pregnancy.

Naive 18 girls hungry of their first sexual experience . . . egad!

Shelbert Lemon
...As well as those that are thinking having a baby with their boyfriend will make their relationship to their boyfriend last forever.

Lonely little girls and horny little boys isnt a good combination.

yea.. religion comes in how here? messed

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Shelbert Lemon
...As well as those that are thinking having a baby with their boyfriend will make their relationship to their boyfriend last forever.

Lonely little girls and horny little boys isnt a good combination.

yea.. religion comes in how here? messed

Primary proponents of "abstinence only" education are . . .

Tim Rout
Originally posted by Jbill311
Yes abstinence is the only surefire way, but it is also the least fun. STDs can be passed from multiple kinds of sex (SURPRISE TAKE A STEP BACKWARDS!) and if a teen does not know about safe sex, then they can be swapped. In my opinion, the more you know- the further you go. (LULZ! Buzz words) The more education- or knowledge- anyone has, the better decisions they can make.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head! You're right. Abstinence isn't much fun.

But if we consider how unwed pregnancy can destroy a girl's whole future -- not to mention the risk of deadly STDs -- it seems ridiculous to promote a "safer sex" approach that is anything BUT safe. Abstinance can work. I interact with people every day who live it.

As a Pastor, I am also the one who most frequently cares for couples who didn't wait for marriage and are now paying the price as their relationship comes unglued. The deal is simple enough: Play now, and pay later. Or pay now, and play for the rest of your life in the godly wonderland of biblical marriage.

Shelbert Lemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Primary proponents of "abstinence only" education are . . . ...religion. ding ding ding.
Got it.

King Kandy
you would again be proposing facts not in evidence, since abstinence is the only fool proof form of birth control.
Because we all know that ONLY 100% effective things can have ANY effect on the statistics.

King Kandy
the godly wonderland of biblical marriage.
laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Biggest bullshit I have seen out of you Tim... just when you were starting to seem very reasonable.

Adam_PoE

Deja~vu
Well we can fix that problem with the "Snip, snip." big grin

inimalist
Originally posted by Adam_PoE

/thread

anaconda
and what denomination are you a pastor of, Church of Imbecile and Ignorance?

DigiMark007
Hehe. Still not seeing an overt religious connection here. But meh.

My two cents:
It's all well and good to parade abstinence as the best alternative for teens (it is, by and large) but you won't get any practical results with it because abstinence isn't something that is going to be universally practiced. And those with unwanted pregnancies are the ones least likely to be receptive to abstinence arguments.

Teen pregnancy comes about when teens have unprotected sex. It's technically true that the risk still exists when protection is used, but the percentages of it are so small as to be negligible. And it's when you get religious agendas that shun birth control promotion that you get uninformed teens and unprotected sex, and thus unwanted pregnancies.

Sex will happen at all developed ages. It's an ingrained biological imperative and not an immoral act. Promote birth control and the number of unwanted pregnancies and STDs would drop dramatically. But as long as religion decides to play moral policeman on our youth, they'll be increasing the totals of impoverished young women, unwanted babies, as well as increasing the totals of those pesky abortions they're always out to stop too.

I would be personally against sex at such a young age, though I don't consider it immoral, but my viewpoint is not a moral one but a realist one. We might as well be making the environment safe for those who do practice teen sex, rather than making it harder on them by imposing archaic religious morals on the general population.

chithappens

Blue_Hefner

WTF?

/B]

Some people get raped. . .

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner

...and clearly that accounts for a third of the population becoming pregnant.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by DigiMark007
But as long as religion decides to play moral policeman on our youth, they'll be increasing the totals of impoverished young women, unwanted babies, as well as increasing the totals of those pesky abortions they're always out to stop too.

I seriously object to generalizing the ridiculous number of religions in the world like that erm

Bardock42
I think you've hit the nail right on the head! You're right. Abstinence isn't much fun.

But if we consider how unwed pregnancy can destroy a girl's whole future -- not to mention the risk of deadly STDs -- it seems ridiculous to promote a "safer sex" approach that is anything BUT safe. Abstinance can work. I interact with people every day who live it.

As a Pastor, I am also the one who most frequently cares for couples who didn't wait for marriage and are now paying the price as their relationship comes unglued. The deal is simple enough: Play now, and pay later. Or pay now, and play for the rest of your life in the godly wonderland of biblical marriage. But that's where Abortion comes in. Saving girl's futures since 10 000 BC.

DigiMark007
I seriously object to generalizing the ridiculous number of religions in the world like that erm

Clearly it targets Christian campaigns to abolish birth control, both in this country and in the Third World where it could also potentially stem the tide of disease. If it would have helped to say Christianity instead of religion, feel free to insert it in your reading of the passage.

In any case, if a particular religion has nothing to say about birth control, I clearly wasn't talking about it. It's only in your mind where you decided I was arbitrarily grouping all religions together regardless of their stance. You're somehow assuming bigotry and generalization when I'm speaking to a specific issue.

erm

Tim Rout
Originally posted by King Kandy

Biggest bullshit I have seen out of you Tim... just when you were starting to seem very reasonable.

What...the wonderland of biblical marriage? No my friend. No BS here. I live it every day. stick out tongue

Tim Rout
Clearly it targets Christian campaigns to abolish birth control, both in this country and in the Third World where it could also potentially stem the tide of disease. If it would have helped to say Christianity instead of religion, feel free to insert it in your reading of the passage.

In any case, if a particular religion has nothing to say about birth control, I clearly wasn't talking about it. It's only in your mind where you decided I was arbitrarily grouping all religions together regardless of their stance. You're somehow assuming bigotry and generalization when I'm speaking to a specific issue.

erm

While some religious persons might be interested in banning birth control, few Protestants hold this view. As an evangelical Christian, I have no problem with birth control when it is used by a married couple. I DO have a problem with teaching unwed teens that it's ok to have sex outside marriage.

Some say abstinence instruction doesn't work because teens go ahead and "do it" anyway; however, my support for abstinence based instruction is not chiefly pragmatic, but rather moral. I am responsible for the standards I teach, not for the behavior of my students. And those students who listen to God's truth and abstain from sex until marriage, have a 0% chance of experiencing unwed pregnancy, and an exceptionally low chance of catching a disease. Abstinence works when adopted. "Safer sex" is nothing more than an unsafe compromise.

chillmeistergen

Bardock42
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Don't give up your day job.

You just don't get it....nah, joking, it's shit.

dadudemon
...and clearly that accounts for a third of the population becoming pregnant.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, that one link posted said 75 out of a thousand for 15-18, right?

Then we can assume that from 11-15 (but not including the age of 15) there are pregnancies as well.

Personally, I thought that statistic was 1 out of 10..but it could be more than that. I think 1 out of 3 is much too many, though.

My opinion:

Sex Ed. can realize success if you tell the kids to have safe sex IF they are going to have sex.

sithsaber408
While some religious persons might be interested in banning birth control, few Protestants hold this view. As an evangelical Christian, I have no problem with birth control when it is used by a married couple. I DO have a problem with teaching unwed teens that it's ok to have sex outside marriage.

Some say abstinence instruction doesn't work because teens go ahead and "do it" anyway; however, my support for abstinence based instruction is not chiefly pragmatic, but rather moral. I am responsible for the standards I teach, not for the behavior of my students. And those students who listen to God's truth and abstain from sex until marriage, have a 0% chance of experiencing unwed pregnancy, and an exceptionally low chance of catching a disease. Abstinence works when adopted. "Safer sex" is nothing more than an unsafe compromise.

With all love, admiration, and respect: As a pastor you have far more important work to do in people's lives teaching, modeling, and showing truth, than sitting here trying to convert/teach people online.

Trust me, with almost 4 years as a KMC member, I can tell you: you're barking up the wrong tree. stick out tongue

The best you can hope is to give an encouraging word, or a testimony of God's healing (both of which I've done, numerous times) or something of that nature, watch them laugh and call you a liar, and hope that you've planted a seed that will be watered by somebody else later on.

It's up to God to change people, we can't do it.

Blessings. cool

cococryspies
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner

Not 1 in 3

King Kandy
What...the wonderland of biblical marriage? No my friend. No BS here. I live it every day. stick out tongue
Yeah, it is BS. I know tons of people in biblical Marriages and none of them are "godly wonderlands."

chithappens

Unless a child is leading a life as a hermit starting in a cave to become the next Batman, they will likely come across sexual situations.

Why do you say abstience works with adoption?

dadudemon
Originally posted by chithappens
Unless a child is leading a life as a hermit starting in a cave to become the next Batman, they will likely come across sexual situations.

"Masturbate before you aparate on your date." That should prevent the babies. flirt

Deja~vu
Ed's a loser.

Symmetric Chaos
And those students who listen to God's truth and abstain from sex until marriage, have a 0% chance of experiencing unwed pregnancy, and an exceptionally low chance of catching a disease. Abstinence works when adopted.

So you do not believe that Mary was the virgin mother of Christ?

Batman has a son.

DigiMark007
Batman has a son.

batdur

Tim Rout
Yeah, it is BS. I know tons of people in biblical Marriages and none of them are "godly wonderlands."
You are confusing what is with what could be. God's design for marriage is perfect, even if humans mess it up routinely.

Tim Rout
So you do not believe that Mary was the virgin mother of Christ?

I believe Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus. She was impregnated by the Holy Spirit . It was a miracle. That said, I do not hold the Roman Catholic view that Mary remained a virgin thereafter. She and Joseph had other children .

Now then, what does this have to do with sex ed?

Quark_666
Originally posted by Mark Question
Abstinence is not realistic. Sexual education is important.

It sounds like you are implying that abstinence is a form of ignorance. What are you really talking about?

Sorry to pounce on a statement you aren't even endorsing, but I think that's a common misconception. I abstain from sexual behavior and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I don't really expect anyone else on this forum to agree...but God gave us the means to keep his commandments and enjoy life at the same time.

You aren't very religious, so I can understand why you don't believe it...but the concept isn't actually that weird. God's works are of perfection in every other aspect of life. Why not marriage? It's one of the most important parts of his plan.

Originally posted by sithsaber408
With all love, admiration, and respect: As a pastor you have far more important work to do in people's lives teaching, modeling, and showing truth, than sitting here trying to convert/teach people online.

Trust me, with almost 4 years as a KMC member, I can tell you: you're barking up the wrong tree. stick out tongue

The best you can hope is to give an encouraging word, or a testimony of God's healing (both of which I've done, numerous times) or something of that nature, watch them laugh and call you a liar, and hope that you've planted a seed that will be watered by somebody else later on.

It's up to God to change people, we can't do it.

Blessings. cool

Trust me, nobody needs four years of experience to tell you that. I could have told you all that after two months of being a member. In fact I'm pretty sure Tim knows he's barking up the wrong tree. He already stated before he isn't trying to convince anybody of anything. Which is a good thing because nobody has been convinced of the truth of a religion by anybody on this forum for as long as I've been a member (not quite a year).

Lana
When people are only taught "Do not have sex until you are married" and know nothing of safe sex, then, yes, abstinence is a "form of ignorance", as people are ignorant of any other options and do not have any actual education on the topic.

Shelbert Lemon
Indeed and that education needs to begin at home with the parent or guardian.

Quark_666
Originally posted by Lana
When people are only taught "Do not have sex until you are married" and know nothing of safe sex, then, yes, abstinence is a "form of ignorance", as people are ignorant of any other options and do not have any actual education on the topic.

Touche. The difference between blind abstinence and educated abstinence is an important distinction. I must say though, I feel equally comfortable calling Mark's post a form of apathy.

Originally posted by Mark Question
Abstinence is not realistic.

If it is a form of ignorance to rule out all other options, it is also a form of ignorance to rule out abstinence as unrealistic option.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quark_666
Touche. The difference between blind abstinence and educated abstinence is an important distinction. I must say though, I feel equally comfortable calling Mark's post a form of apathy.

If it is a form of ignorance to rule out all other options, it is also a form of ignorance to rule out abstinence as unrealistic option. He obviously meant abstinence only. And to rule out abstinence only for every teenager until marriage as unrealistic....is spot on, not ignorant.

chithappens
Does anyone have a secular reason not to have sex before marriage?

Bardock42
Does anyone have a secular reason not to have sex before marriage? Does anyone have a secular reason to marry?

chithappens
I'm inclined to say no

King Kandy
You are confusing what is with what could be. God's design for marriage is perfect, even if humans mess it up routinely.
No true Scotsman Fallacy.

King Kandy
You aren't very religious, so I can understand why you don't believe it...but the concept isn't actually that weird. God's works are of perfection in every other aspect of life. Why not marriage? It's one of the most important parts of his plan.
I think it's untrue because from my experiences Christians tend to have LESS happy and fulfilling marriages then Atheists. That's just my experience, but it seems to me that either Biblical Marriage is imperfect, or it's harder to achieve then Tim was making it out to be.

Adam_PoE
In fact I'm pretty sure Tim knows he's barking up the wrong tree. He already stated before he isn't trying to convince anybody of anything.

Is that a tacit admission of trolling?

SpearofDestiny
Is that a tacit admission of trolling?

http://www.firstaidmonster.com/images/products/FAM_MIDOL_MAX_STRENGTH_CAPLE-5300.jpg

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
http://www.firstaidmonster.com/images/products/FAM_MIDOL_MAX_STRENGTH_CAPLE-5300.jpg

Not only is that not as clever or funny as you believe it to be, but it is also immature and misogynistic.

Symmetric Chaos
I believe Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus. She was impregnated by the Holy Spirit . It was a miracle. That said, I do not hold the Roman Catholic view that Mary remained a virgin thereafter. She and Joseph had other children .

Now then, what does this have to do with sex ed?

You claimed that abstinence was 100% effective. But you also believe a virgin became pregnant.

Shakyamunison
You claimed that abstinence was 100% effective. But you also believe a virgin became pregnant.

hysterical

*picks self up off the floor, and wipes tears from eyes*

SpearofDestiny
Not only is that not as clever or funny as you believe it to be, but it is also immature and misogynistic.

yawn

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
yawn

That was my response to your attempt at humor as well.

SpearofDestiny
That was my response to your attempt at humor as well.

cry

dadudemon
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
hysterical

*picks self up off the floor, and wipes tears from eyes*

Yeah, that was pretty good. big grin

Bardock42
We should really get back on topic...especially since the topic is "1 in 3 girls under the age of 16 are sluts.

willofthewisp
Originally posted by Shelbert Lemon
Indeed and that education needs to begin at home with the parent or guardian.

In an ideal situation where the parents are open and comfortable with talking about the subject, I'm in full agreement with you, shelbert. Unfortunately, many parents, even good ones, don't know how to educate their children about sex, afraid that if they talk about it, it will just make their children want to go and have it. There are even some that just don't believe it's a topic to be discussed, even in the form of a father/son, mother/daughter conversation.

Just my own personal story, I had a great school system that believed in teaching health in general, and this included learning what the sex organs do, reproduction, and the diseases that can be passed on from person to person through sex. They made it abundantly clear what the forms of protection do, how well they work, and that the only thing that was 100% guaranteed to not cause pregnancy or disease (or a horrible sexual experience that would traumatize you) is abstaining from the act. However, the classes I took were not so graphic as to explain the act of sex in a how-to format. By the age of 15, 16 or so, I still had no idea just what sex really was.

I felt uncomfortable asking my parents about it because in the past, when I would come home and tell my mom we learned about menstruation and things, she would just ask if I had any additional questions, not seeming to want to talk about it. She is a great mom, but this was a weakness of her parenting. I would watch primetime tv shows with her and ask what a sexual innuendo meant or what terms like "orgasm" actually were, and got vague answers. When it came time for my first annual exam, I asked if sex would hurt as much as that did. All she told me is that it wouldn't be as bad and then she shut up about it.

Kids are curious and I was no different. I worked at a library, thank God, and I recommend if kids really want to know about sex, instead of asking their uneducated, immature friends, to read about it from an accredited source. I had at my disposal medical doctors and psychologists that explained to me through the written word what happens to the human body when one becomes "horny." It explained why certain positions exist and are popular, and once I was ready to have sex with the man that became my husband, I wasn't terrified and knew I could trust him and myself.

What I suggest, and I know this post has been long, sorry, is an OPTIONAL sex education class. Kids who have parents who are willing to discuss the issue in an open, educated format don't have to take it, but kids who are curious and maybe aren't getting that information anywhere else can sign up for a class that would be called "General Health" and a large unit would be sex. The teachers would be qualified health professionals, not the dumb ones that can't even teach history or English correctly. So that's what I feel should happen. That way the kids don't have to bring home their report cards saying they got an A in sex and they still get all the necessary information.

P23
now a days younger people are having sex. my aunt adopted 3 girls who were sexual molested by the birth parents and the one is is i think 17 just had a kid april 3rd of this year. the question is could it be do to the birth parents or did she do it cause she wanted to?

willofthewisp
I don't understand your question. Can you please be a little clearer?

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by P23
now a days younger people are having sex. my aunt adopted 3 girls who were sexual molested by the birth parents and the one is is i think 17 just had a kid april 3rd of this year. the question is could it be do to the birth parents or did she do it cause she wanted to?

You're going to try and place blame on a sexually molested child? You're a dumbass.

P23
im saying alot of people and shrinks believe alot of kids act out sexualy do to being molested. that was the question does anyone on these boards believe thats what mostly causes younger kids to have sex or maybe just maybe they just hit puberty early? because with sex education its outdated if you really think of it. im only 23 and i took sex ed in i believe 8th grade. now back then material was up to date but now with more kids under 18 are sexualy active but in 2008 does sex ed messure up to todays standards?

King Kandy
I somewhat doubt that 1/4th of children have been molested.

smoker4
I agree, i just dont have enough time

red g jacks
But if all the kids who were having sex where using birth control and condoms the teen birth rate would be much lower than it is now.

I understand sex=babies, but kids have sex no matter what people tell them, and since people are telling them false things about pregnancy they're having unprotected sex which = more babies. it's a pretty simple concept is it not? use a damn condom. any kid who is young/naive/stupid enough to not realize this should not be having sex in the first place. and if they have sex anyway without taking any precautions then they deserve whatever std/unwanted pregnancy/emotional distress that comes their way.

debbiex
Education..Education and good parents!

botankus
Haha......debbiex.

Deja~vu
laughing out loud

Is that like Rid-X? blink

botankus
Schizoid Debs...WAIT---

Deja~vu
blink

The voices tell me she's really nice. She gives to charities and crap. Damn her to hell. She's taking all my money...... mad

LOL

cococryspies
Originally posted by red g jacks
if they have sex anyway without taking any precautions then they deserve whatever std/unwanted pregnancy/emotional distress that comes their way.

But the problem with unwanted pregnancy being a punishment is that girls usually either brush it off and get an abortion or they actually think they can raise the kid, which isn't fair to it.

You can't just tell a kid "do what you want" cause its not like they really understand the consequences, especially when no one educates them.

Bardock42
Originally posted by red g jacks
it's a pretty simple concept is it not? use a damn condom. any kid who is young/naive/stupid enough to not realize this should not be having sex in the first place. and if they have sex anyway without taking any precautions then they deserve whatever std/unwanted pregnancy/emotional distress that comes their way. I agree completely. It's their own fault...and they have to deal with it.

Now, we mustn't punish them on top of it by guilting them into thinking they are worthless or denying them abortions or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.