New NIN - Ghosts I-IV

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
Nine Inch Nails (a.k.a. Trent Reznor) has come out with a new album, Ghosts I-IV. Originally meant to be an instrumental EP, it ballooned into a 4 EP, 36 track ambient instrumental piece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_I-IV

It has yet to be released commercially, but he is currently selling it online. You can get the first 9 tracks for free and purchase the rest of the album for $5.

I bought it, and I think it's fantastic. Very Brian Eno-esque.

Alpha Centauri
There are honestly about a million bands doing this kind of music, but better.

If I'd never heard anything electronic, I'd be impressed.

-AC

Deathblow
Creepy, multiple disc instrumental album without song titles? Someone really wants to be Aphex Twin. It's OK, nothing he didn't do to much greater effect on The Fragile.

Df02
yawn, someone needs to realise when they're out of ideas.

Solo
Trent's all washed up now. Anyway...

Pezmerga
I don't think it is as bad as some people are making it sound. It's not great but I felt like it was a worthwhile listen.

Smasandian
I really like it.

Nice to listen to when shoveling god awful amounts of snow.

jaden101
i feel sorry for Reznor...there always seems to be massive expectation that he has to deliver a new album that is hugely inventive and original both in comparison to his previous work as well as the work of others

but then again...if it's not good...it's not good...but at the least it should be tried on its own merits

Alpha Centauri
I have had low expectations ever since With Teeth. Then again I've not paid much attention since then.

-AC

chillmeistergen
Yeah, same here. NIN hasn't delivered for me since The Fragile, I've been utterly disappointed with everything since, it seems stale, over produced and just downright boring.

Victor Von Doom
Irrelevant band since The Fragile. I don't get why people keep ejaculating over their releases, or expressing disappointment as if it's any kind of surprise.

Might as well moan the new Killers album is shit.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Irrelevant band since The Fragile. I don't get why people keep ejaculating over their releases, or expressing disappointment as if it's any kind of surprise.

Might as well moan the new Killers album is shit.

Well, the way you say it, it means they used to be relevant, meaning that they do have the ability to produce something good. And I suppose people hope that happens with their new release.

Alpha Centauri
And his point was that, in the three releases since The Fragile, they've produced irrelevant, derivative bs, so there doesn't seem to be much point in continually expecting more if you keep getting disappointed. If you believe The Fragile was their/his last relevant work, then they/he haven't/hasn't been relevant this millenium.

The "I question everything" schtick got old a couple of years ago, now you're just on vacation.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, the way you say it, it means they used to be relevant, meaning that they do have the ability to produce something good. And I suppose people hope that happens with their new release.

Having the ability to produce something good isn't the same as being relevant.

The fact that they only produced one half good album is why I don't understand the fanfare. It's not as if they are rarely off-key.

Bardock42
Having the ability to produce something good isn't the same as being relevant.

The fact that they only produced one half good album is why I don't understand the fanfare. It's not as if they are rarely off-key.

I can understand that. Though I figure that people that really enjoyed their album(s) at some point, might still hope they will come up with something good again.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
And his point was that, in the three releases since The Fragile, they've produced irrelevant, derivative bs, so there doesn't seem to be much point in continually expecting more if you keep getting disappointed. If you believe The Fragile was their/his last relevant work, then they/he haven't/hasn't been relevant this millenium.

The "I question everything" schtick got old a couple of years ago, now you're just on vacation.

-AC

I am not sure what you mean with questioning everything...I don't...at least I don't think so.

As for the rest you said, what I said above applies to that as well.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bardock42
I can understand that. Though I figure that people that really enjoyed their album(s) at some point, might still hope they will come up with something good again.

I refer to the ones that clearly know it will be shit, yet at the same time express surprise. I wonder why they continue to return.

Well, I do know why. They're idiots.

BackFire
That's mean.

Pezmerga
I refer to the ones that clearly know it will be shit, yet at the same time express surprise. I wonder why they continue to return.

Well, I do know why. They're idiots.

Idiots because they give the new stuff a chance, or because they are surprised it isn't to their liking? Or perhaps both?

Now I have only heard the 9 tracks that were free...I decided I'd only buy if I liked them enough, and I really only gave them a listen out of curiousity not because I expected greatness. It didn't dissapoint because I wasn't expecting much. While I did think it was a decent album, it wasn't groundbreaking or fresh, and it was a bit boring after awhile. I guess they can't all be "In Raibows", "Anonymous", and "Fear of Blank Planet"s. Still it sure as hell beats "With Teeth" and "Year Zero", though that isn't saying much.

So therefore I agree with you in this way: If people keep getting let down by a band, it is only because they are in denial about the said band's musical direction and creativity. Trent obviously has either reached his pinnacle in music or is just uninspired. Rarely does a band return to form and reconnect with former fans after it has disillussioned them.

Alpha Centauri
It's because he was a drugs and depression fiend, and was liked by loads of people who thought they were that, too. He just happened to hit the mark with a fluke album.

He was popular in the Manson sense. Now he has much less of a fanbase because they've all grown up, and so has he, and he's making shit music.

He was very much of his time.

-AC

Pezmerga
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It's because he was a drugs and depression fiend, and was liked by loads of people who thought they were that, too. He just happened to hit the mark with a fluke album.

He was popular in the Manson sense. Now he has much less of a fanbase because they've all grown up, and so has he, and he's making shit music.

He was very much of his time.

-AC

Your last sentence pretty much said it all.

Eon Blue
I'm still going to hear it (and hopefully enjoy it), despite what the naysayers say.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.