What makes a good book to you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Korosan
What makes a book...well...awesome? In your own opinion. Is it the characters? Is it the environments? Maybe its the villains? Or might it just be the way the world is shown and the things in that world?

For me I suppose it would be the characters, especially the villains. I think its interesting how the villains always view what they do in a different perspective from the protagonist but still in a way that it holds truth.

SnakeEyes
For me it's whatever affect the book has on me. If it makes me think and examine my thoughts and opinions, that makes a good book.

Of course, I'm also satisfied with a kickass plot and language that flows well. I can't stand reading text that seems stale and fake.

Endrict Nuul
If I can finally finish a book then it must be good.

Kelly_Bean
A good book to me is one that catches my attention and interest in the first page or two. As odd as it sounds, if I read the first couple of pages of a book and it isn't interesting and I cannot pay any attention, I'll close it and move on.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
A good book to me is one that catches my attention and interest in the first page or two. As odd as it sounds, if I read the first couple of pages of a book and it isn't interesting and I cannot pay any attention, I'll close it and move on.

I agree, but I usually read a little longer than that. If I can't really get into a book by around page 25-30, then I give up. The only exception I had to that was Harry Turtledove's Into the Darkness. I so wanted to get into that book that I read about the first 140 pages. I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters or what was going on.

oakling
I prefer books that have some humor, imaginative plots, or interesting information, but no matter what genre the book is in what really matters to me is the writing style. It doesn't have to be any particular style, but it has to be good - good characterization, skilled use of language, something where the author can transport me to another world (even if that world is just their own point of view) using language alone.

Jim Colyer
Simple. A good book has to be about something I am interested in. It has to expand my knowledge in some way.

arkenemis1114
hey every1!one of u people read the book called Bartimaeus trilogy!?Its freakin awesome!!really funny with a lot of actions.people say that its better than harry potter!!!!!reading

Blue_Hefner
the people in it, the writer's vocab and writing style (that's why i hate Ernest Hemingway), the quality and clarity of the story, the setting(this is why I hate Vanity Fair) ,the message, and length IMO

ragesRemorse
vivid storytelling told through almost poetic syntax.

BruceSkywalker
Depends.. Has to be a good author. Unless of course I've read the person's previous work. The story. Length of said novel. The characters. Sometimes if the reviews are good

Kelly_Bean
Originally posted by celestialdemon
I agree, but I usually read a little longer than that. If I can't really get into a book by around page 25-30, then I give up. The only exception I had to that was Harry Turtledove's Into the Darkness. I so wanted to get into that book that I read about the first 140 pages. I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters or what was going on.
Yeah, I believe I did that with Twilight (or some other semi-popular book people were gawking over) but I didn't get as far. I guess when it comes to what everyone else tells me to read, I shouldn't pay attention unless I really have the motivation to pick up the book and try reading it myself. I shouldn't listen to other people....maybe. xD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.