Tropic Thunder

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
This could be brilliant!

I have only just heard about this, but Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Nick Nolte and Robert Downey Jr. (as a black guy) are all in it, in a story where the shooting of a 'Nam movie gets a little shaken and the director simply leaves his cast on location, in Vietnam.

Although I still have reservations in Jack Black, the concept is a great one and Downey Jr. playing a black soldier is walking a thin, yet potentially hilarious line. Again, it's a great concept, but even great concepts turn out poor, a la Be Kind Rewind, so I am simply hoping.

EMPIRE: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22137
IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/

Impediment
I try very hard to steer clear of any Jack Black movie.

Toku King
Jack Black. Ben Stiller. Griffith Jr. Shit blows up.

That's enough reason for me to rush to the theater. I'm there.

amlap
etan cohen... is enough for me. just hope that he caught enough of mike judges talent and helps make another fantasticlly funny movie.

also downey jr. playing a black guy?.... sounds like shear gold to me!

FlappingMangera
This looks like the greatest Stiller comedy since Zoolander. I don't think it will disappoint either: I can't remember the last time there was such a diverse and talented cast on an absurd comedy like this, and there are actually some great actors involved, like Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise (lol!). High caliber actors like them wouldn't sign on unless the script was top-notch, so I'm betting this will be a huge hit this summer. I'm definitely going to check it out.

SnakeEyes
Already a thread: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t478416.html

regina414
I have seen a picture of the black Robert Downey, Jr.
Cool makeup!

exanda kane
There's a trailer out now:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809912814/video/7004235

FlappingMangera
Felt like bumping this since we're getting close and a bunch of stuff has been released since March:

Red band trailer *possibly offensive*

MTV Movie Awards Viral Video

I was already sold, but the red band trailer is even more amazing, and I think the cast is going to have great chemistry.

BruceSkywalker
This looks very funny.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Impediment
I try very hard to steer clear of any Jack Black movie.

King Kong was a good movie. And Jack Black isn't the only lead in this one.

Originally posted by amlap

also downey jr. playing a black guy?.... sounds like shear gold to me!

Really? I thought blackface died decades ago. I just hope this movie doesn't show Downey slapping his knee while a white guy is playing a banjo.

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Really? I thought blackface died decades ago. I just hope this movie doesn't show Downey slapping his knee while a white guy is playing a banjo.

I believe the premise of the character is that he believes an actor should embrace a role to the point that they literally become the roll, similar to Stanislavsky's views. So Downey's character gets a medical procedure to literally become the negro character he is portraying.

Seems like a "LoL" to me.

ariwin
Originally posted by Robtard
I believe the premise of the character is that he believes an actor should embrace a role to the point that they literally become the roll, similar to Stanislavsky's views. So Downey's character gets a medical procedure to literally become the negro character he is portraying.

Seems like a "LoL" to me.

Yeah, definitely, that's the impression that I get. It isn't a black face situation -- the mockery of Hollywood and of actors and "method" acting is waaay higher than any racial mockery going on. The fact that they're aware of it in the movie and make fun of it shows that they know what they're doing and it isn't meant to be offensive. (They have another of the actor/soldiers, who is genuinely black, annoyed at Downey Jr. Downey's character, the actor who got the procedure, is being ridiculous and stereotypical... and the movie and everyone else in it are aware of it.

Anyway... down off my soap box... I cannot WAIT to see this movie. I think it's going to be absolutely hilarious!

WrathfulDwarf
I was really looking forward to this film...but now that I seen the trailer...I have mixed feelings.

It's practically Three Amigo's in Vietnam. I was hoping this would be more a satire/spoof on Vietnam war movies from the late 70s and 80s. So I'll just wait for reviews before spending my money on a movie ticket.

chillmeistergen
I saw the trailer before TDK, it looks good. I'm just hoping that Jack Black won't spoil it by just acting as himself (again), I wouldn't mind it if he wasn't ridiculously annoying.

BruceSkywalker
I saw this earlier tonight. Very funny.

The_Dormouse
This looks like it could be funny. Robert Downey Jr looks like he won't disappoint. I plan on seeing this for $2 or less.

Darth Vicious
Theres an article on CNN in which some groups want people to boycott the movie. That just makes me want to watch it even more.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/12/film.tropic.thunder.protest.ap/index.html

MildPossession
Oh because of the word retard right?

Darth Vicious
Yeah. Idk why, people should be used to Ben Stiller's type of comedy by now. Its not the first time he has retarted characters in his movies. Hell, Zoolander was a damn retarted character.

ragesRemorse
i can't wait to pirate this movie

MildPossession
retarted?

papabeard
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Yeah. Idk why, people should be used to Ben Stiller's type of comedy by now. Its not the first time he has retarted characters in his movies. Hell, Zoolander was a damn retarted character.

Mmmmmm delicious irony?

LEWZMP
IM NOT RETARED!!!1

Prince Nauj
went and saw this last night. I really liked it. I have never laughed so much recently. Though ben stillers ears bother me to much.

dadudemon
I saw this last night.

I laughed at some parts.

However, I didn't care of it.

If you want to see this for a laugh, wait for this to come out on DVD.

Blax_Hydralisk
I thought the movie was great, hilarious.

Almighty Bauer
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
King Kong was a good movie.
laughing laughing laughing

Dark-Jaxx
I wanna see this movie, looks funny as shit.

And I thought King Kong was a good movie. no expression

Mairuzu
I thought this movie was going to be shit, to be honest

but it was amazingly funny

SpaceMonkey
It was a funny movie. Downey Jr. was great, and the Simple Jack parts had me laughing out loud!

MildPossession
Definitely see it at the cinema, don't wait until dvd. It is rather good, Robert Downey Jnr was very fun to watch!

Is this the movie where Owen Wilson was going to part of it before he had to drop out? if so what role was he going to play?

Myth
A few comments:

I saw this movie and loved it.

The word retard was only excessively used in one scene, but people are overly sensitive.

Ben Stiller was my least favorite character out of the actors dropped in to make the movie, but still wasn't terrible.

This movie further proved to me that Jack Black is good as a secondary character despite me hating him as the main star (i.e. School of Rock, Nacho Libre, etc.)

Tom Cruise was great when he was angry and cursing at people over the phones, but the 2 times he danced were my least favorite parts of the movie.

botankus
Originally posted by Myth
Tom Cruise was great when he was angry and cursing at people over the phones, but the 2 times he danced were my least favorite parts of the movie.

I overwhelmingly agree with you (and maybe Cruise was a bit over-the-top in parts) but every other part of the movie was flat-out hilarious.

botankus
Sorry, double post. (damn network!)

FistOfThe North
I wait for it on blu ray. (maybe).

Cause there's nothing like blackface comedy in hi-def, in the comfort of one's own home.

Robtard
Before you start crying about more racism, you should really look up what blackface is.

Edit: If what Downey did is somehow equal to the Minstrel show of the early 1900s, then there is a lot of racism many a black actor who has put on white makeup should answer for.

Myth
And then watch the movie Bamboozled. smile

FistOfThe North
It should be known that you have to be in power to be a (true) racist.

Don't get racism and the hatred for people whom have brown skin confused with anger and frustration used as a defense mechanism.

Robtard
That doesn't really make any sense and you're trying to use a double-standard yet again.

White man in black makeup = racist (true blackface was, not this)
Black man in white makeup = not racism (because they're not in power and/or it's some defense mechanism?)

AngryManatee
darkie racism is not racism. loldongs

FistOfThe North
Double standard? C'mon. The "I can't call you a N*gger yet you can call me a Cracker. That's messed up cause it's the same. They're both racist" argument is flat cause it doesn't consider history.

And no. Black man in White makeup (most likely) = comedy.

Toku King
Originally posted by Darth Vicious

And the fact that they sue this and did nothing to "The Ringer" scares me.

AngryManatee
Originally posted by FistOfThe North

White man in black makeup= comedy imo too. I laughed. My black friends laughed as well.

Robtard
This is nothing like the ****** and cracker word dynamic.

You are using a double standard, as Downey's character isn't just simple blackface. If you bothered to read up on the background of the story/character, you'd see why. Doubt you'd admit it though.

Downey as a black man is comedic gold. Unlike movies like White Chicks, which was horribly inane.

Myth
Double standard? C'mon. The "I can't call you a N*gger yet you can call me a Cracker. That's messed up cause it's the same. They're both racist" argument is flat cause it doesn't consider history.

Wrong. They are both racist. The word "cracker" is less harmful than "n*gger" because of historical reasons, but it doesn't mean the "cracker" isn't a racial slur.

AngryManatee
leave it to FOTN to **** up a thread.

Myth
Yeah, lets get back to the movie.

I give it a B+

AngryManatee
Yeah B+ is about right. Downey Jr. and Cruise stole the show imo.

jalek moye

first of all cracker is a racist term and second if you actually watched the movie you would understand that it isnt a racist black face thing. I mean come one hes actually playing a white charcter playing a black character

Robtard
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Yeah B+ is about right. Downey Jr. and Cruise stole the show imo.

I've only seen a few clips here and there, but some radio reviwer said the same thing about Cruise. Is it a major role? (don't spoil it though)

Going to watch it this weekend.

Mairuzu
I've only seen a few clips here and there, but some radio reviwer said the same thing about Cruise. Is it a major role? (don't spoil it though)

Going to watch it this weekend. He has about a good 10-15 min total (about 3 scenes added up to this amount) in the whole movie

Robtard
Originally posted by Mairuzu
He has about a good 10-15 min total (about 3 scenes added up to this amount) in the whole movie

Damn it, now I want a spoiler that I'll regret reading after its said and done.

Blax_Hydralisk
He essentially acts like an ******* and cusses a lot in a humorous way.

Myth
And he has the 2 worst moments in the movie: Both times he dances to hip hop music

MildPossession
I thought Tom Cruise was fab, it's a bit like how he was in Magnolia, but obviously a more over the top comedic route. I adored watching him dance to Hip Hop smile

Toku King
I just saw "Tropic Thunder" not too long ago on my computer, and I really liked it. What made it good was the fact that they were able to juggle both action and comedy at once perfectly. Some parts of the movie were weak(like some of the middle), but overall I thought it was good. Downey Jr. proves once again that he's the ultimate master of acting. And on that note, everyone was in the zone for "Tropic Thunder". Ben Stiller hasn't been this good in a long time. 8/10

Toku King
Originally posted by MildPossession
I thought Tom Cruise was fab

I didn't even realize it was him until the very end. I never liked the guy, but I'll be damned if he wasn't great in this. You just love to hate his character.

MildPossession
Pirate movies suck stick out tongue

zslick
you all cant forget about satans alley or bust a nut haha those were classic!

Toku King
Originally posted by MildPossession
Pirate movies suck stick out tongue

The first ten minutes were annoying because of some audio issue, and the panda scene was blurry, but the rest was fine.

Oh, and Ben Stiller killing the panda bear and wearing its head was by far one of the most hilarious things I've seen all year.

Phucked Up
Originally posted by Toku King
I didn't even realize it was him until the very end. I never liked the guy, but I'll be damned if he wasn't great in this. You just love to hate his character.

Could have done without the dancing scenes. Without those, I would have liked his character more.

Robtard
(Not directed at any single person) Would it be to much to ask that you mother****ers please use spoiler tags when posting scenes from the movie?

zbucsz
Robert Downey Jr is one of my fav actors now! movie was mad funny the whole movie i couldnt stop laughing!!!!!!

ragesRemorse
Saw this movie earlier tonight. I went in expecting dog shit and came out satisfied. Many of the jokes fell VERY flat, but the jokes that worked, worked well. I'm still not convinced on Jack Blacks' or Ben Stillers' acting abilities, but it was a lot of fun seeing a comedy with so many marquee actors sharing the stage. If Pineapple express weren't out, i would say this would be the funniest comedy out there.

Myth
(Not directed at any single person) Would it be to much to ask that you mother****ers please use spoiler tags when posting scenes from the movie?

Yeah, I was just glad I already saw it, because several of the surprise moments have been mentioned without spoilers.

Kazenji
Has anyone seen all that crap on the news about the word retard that gets mentioned in this movie ?

Toku King

There really hasn't been any spoilers.

MildPossession
The Panda thing was a spoiler.

Myth
Originally posted by Toku King
There really hasn't been any spoilers.

And Cruise's role in the film.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Phucked Up
Could have done without the dancing scenes. Without those, I would have liked his character more. I thought it was random

i like random

Myth
It reminded me of Chris Kattan (sp?) in Undercover Brother. And might I add, despite Tropic Thunder being a superior movie, Kattan's dance scenes were better than Cruise's, which is not so much a complement to Kattan as it is a negative reflection on Cruise's dance.

Menetnashté
It was a good movie. Comedies these days seem to fall short, and I just watched Pineapple express a few weeks ago so this sucked in comparison, however I did laugh out loud in one scene the one where Al reveals he's gay was gold, and the one where Downey gives them Black was great. Otherwise still a decent movie, worth watching again. the only thing that bothered me about this movie is that it upset all the little libs out there and now I have to hear them whine and complain.

Bouboumaster
I hate Tom Cruise, but in this movie, he's tha shit! big grin

Downey Jr and Stiller was great too.
Matthew McConaughey was cool.
The only one who was silly was Jack Black. He does always too much.

Blax_Hydralisk
I found Jack Black to be kind of refreshing, actually. I've only seen Jack Black's kid friendly movies, so seeing him offer to " cradle the balls and stroke the shaft", for some cocaine, was just hilarious.

ariwin
Originally posted by Kazenji
Has anyone seen all that crap on the news about the word retard that gets mentioned in this movie ?

Yeah, and it's total crap, right? It bugs me so much how such little things will set people off. I mean, maybe if the movie was ACTUALLY jabbing at certain groups, then yes... but the movie's really just pointing out how ridiculous Hollywood is, and what people will do for Oscars, or recognition, or "art."

I loved this movie, I've seen it twice now... I think I laughed even harder than I did the first time, if that's even possible. laughing

zbucsz
you just tell lance, wait wtf did i just hear? had me rolling.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Bouboumaster

The only one who was silly was Jack Black. He does always too much.
He went full retard.

ragesRemorse
why is this movie being protested so much?

=Tired Hiker=
Saw this today, it was alright. I thought the beginning was hilarious with the fake trailers. Tom Cruise was funny, but way too contrived (Hey look how crazy Tom Cruise can be! You should like him because he can besooooo crazy!) Steve Coogan was awesome, I wish he would have been in it longer. Robert Downy Jr. was good, Stiller was okay, Jack Black was okay too, but I thought he had the funniest line in the movie when he was tied to the tree, telling Alpha Chino what he would do to him if he untied him. All in all, it was okay.

ariwin
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Saw this today, it was alright. I thought the beginning was hilarious with the fake trailers. Tom Cruise was funny, but way too contrived (Hey look how crazy Tom Cruise can be! You should like him because he can besooooo crazy!) Steve Coogan was awesome, I wish he would have been in it longer. Robert Downy Jr. was good, Stiller was okay, Jack Black was okay too, but I thought he had the funniest line in the movie when he was tied to the tree, telling Alpha Chino what he would do to him if he untied him. All in all, it was okay.

See, I found Tom Cruise absolutely hysterically funny. The dancing is such an old gag that I expected not to find it funny at all, but then I actually saw it and just about died laughing. And I found Jack Black awesome -- he was playing himself in a lot of ways, except then he had this totally darker side, and the desperation he showed was just so funny. Oh well, entitled to our opinions and blah blah blah... at least we agree on Robert Downey Jr.! If nothing else, his performance is not to be missed.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by ariwin
See, I found Tom Cruise absolutely hysterically funny. The dancing is such an old gag that I expected not to find it funny at all, but then I actually saw it and just about died laughing. And I found Jack Black awesome -- he was playing himself in a lot of ways, except then he had this totally darker side, and the desperation he showed was just so funny. Oh well, entitled to our opinions and blah blah blah... at least we agree on Robert Downey Jr.! If nothing else, his performance is not to be missed.

I also thought Tom Cruise was very funny. His dancing was pretty awesome because its something u wouldnt expect Tom Cruise to do. The Simple Jack bits were simply retarted, lol. Very fun stuff. Downey Jr. was awesome, specially his interactions with Al Pachino(sp?). He always seemed to be mocking A.P everytime they talked. I didnt care much for Jack Blacks character even though the tree scene was very funny. Same for Ben Stiller, except for when Simple Jack came onscreen which was pretty funny. Overall, I liked it.

deathbycorn
One of the most classic movies I've ever seen!

"You never go full retard!"

Just classic.

Bardock42
I saw the trailer yesterday. It does seem like an awesome movie.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by deathbycorn
One of the most classic movies I've ever seen!

"You never go full retard!"

Just classic.

LOL, that line stuck as soon as I heard it.

deathbycorn
The cinema I was in was packed and people were laughing at heaps of parts EXCEPT that line. I was the only one in the cinema who bursted out laughing! I felt a bit embarrased at first but then realized its one of the best lines in the film and no one else got it haha!!

The whole bit about Forest Gump and Rain Man that lead up to it was just funny as!

BackFire
Fun movie. Quite funny.

deathbycorn
The director blows up big time!

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by deathbycorn
The cinema I was in was packed and people were laughing at heaps of parts EXCEPT that line. I was the only one in the cinema who bursted out laughing! I felt a bit embarrased at first but then realized its one of the best lines in the film and no one else got it haha!!

The whole bit about Forest Gump and Rain Man that lead up to it was just funny as!

Same thing happened in Dark Knight with the pencil scene. Me and a handful of other people started laughing. People mustve thought we were sick.

ariwin
Guys, go watch http://www.rainofmadness.com/?p=40 IMMEDIATELY. It's the full-length mockumentary movie that they released the trailer for a while back, and it's absolutely freaking hilarious. You can get it for free, and it's basically like watching a bunch of deleted scenes and extra footage, or a gag reel, or something. You can see RDJ being even more awesome, and Steve Coogan's in it too. And if you liked the part where he blows up... you HAVE to watch it. So hilarious.

Selphie
Saw this movie last night. I was expecting total shit, but it was better than I thought. Very gorey, and very brutal comedy at times, but it was enjoyable.

If you hate jokes about the mentally challenged.... you probably shouldn't see this movie...

DeathKap
I was laughin real hard through the whole thing, especially when Jack Black was tied to the tree.

Selphie
Originally posted by DeathKap
I was laughin real hard through the whole thing, especially when Jack Black was tied to the tree.

Yeah, him spazzing the whole time was great. It was really awkward though, sitting right next to my father, when he was talking about the bj.

DeathKap
That was the best part!

ariwin
Originally posted by Selphie
Yeah, him spazzing the whole time was great. It was really awkward though, sitting right next to my father, when he was talking about the bj.

LOL! I would so not go see this movie with my parents. wink Well, I suppose some people's parents would be cool about it, but I wouldn't trust mine.

Seriously, go watch the Rain of Madness movie. It's like getting a whole DVD's worth of extra footage, for free, without having to wait for the DVD release. stick out tongue

kunglu
I thought this was great! And that everyone in it did an amazing job. Tom Cruise was hilarious in his character. I saw it on the monday after the opening weekend, during the day and the theater was crowded and everyone was laughing thru out the picture. Including the lines about "going full retard" I liked Step Brothers (especially the ending) But this was way better.

Bicnarok

Kelly_Bean
It wasn't too bad. The previews looked better though. When I was dating Donnie, he took me and it was his 2nd time seeing it. He thought it was funnier his 2nd time than I did my 1st time and I don't know why. Some parts were quite funny but the rest of it was just....blagh.

Ahsoka Tano
Hated it.

TeenMovies1
I loved it....on par with Zoolander (Stiller also wrote this movie)

Sado22
*in best "Koalla hugging nigga" imitation*
what the f0ck did i just hear?

Awesome movie. laughed my ass off.

Movie tragic
Robert Downey Jr. notworthy

Sado22
ditto.

Howard Beale
Robert Downey Jr. = Happy Dance
Tom Cruize = laughing
All the rest = big grin
So definitely worth watching, be prepared to laugh. Not the funniest film of the year but very very close.

killakyle
This movie did not impress me what so ever, apart from a few very funny parts this movie was pretty dry. I actually would say that i enjoyed "the Rocker" more than this movie and it didn't even have an all star cast

Bardock42
Very funny movie.

SelinaAndBruce
I think it's funnier the more times I see it

botankus
Great satire. Want to see it again.

Rogue Jedi
saw it, meh.

soulkat9
Tom Cruise was so funny in this

tkitna
I just saw this recently and thought it was awful. My wife thought it sucked too. Took us three seperate tries to get through it.

Sadako of Girth
"Why dont you just take a step back... and literally F**K YOUR OWN FACCEEEEEEE...!!??!??"
Creepy dancing, for real, but his excuberance in rage was superb.

That whole dialogue through the "going full retard bit" killed me.

And Downey Jnr's dude playing a dude playing another dude was genius stuff. More evidence that the man is a legend.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.