jedi apprentice/quest series - canon or not??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MadMel
are jude watson's jedi aprentice (pre- TPM) and jedi quest (between TPM and AOTC) series canon or not?
just like to know..

Pretty sure they are.

The big EH
ya they are, just most people haven't read them because tey aren't adult literature, it's like Boba Fett series

sweersa
I have read all of those books, I started when I was in elementary and finished in the beginning of high School. They are truly wonderful books, but I don't believe they could be canon.

Council#13
Sooooo totally canon.

LORD JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by sweersa
I have read all of those books, I started when I was in elementary and finished in the beginning of high School. They are truly wonderful books, but I don't believe they could be canon.

Why not?

The big EH
i used to get all of them through the book order, but i've only actually read 3 excluding the first boba fett

MadMel
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
Why not?
if they were it would make obi-wan and extremely weak apprentice in terms of the force...strangely he could hold his own against qui-gon saberwise, but he had trouble mind tricking a kid half his age, and could maybe force "make some guy lose grip on his gun" if he was lucky erm
the best feat he ever did in the series was protect himself from a memory wiping device, which admittedly is pretty powerful, but everything else he's done is poor..

sweersa
Why not?

They are children's books for the most part. (Not that Adults aren't supposed to read them, they are quite a good read for anyone.) It still is Expanded Universe, not nearly everything in the book, especially the introduced characters in the series are ever shown or discussed in the films which are canon. I like to think the better of the EU is canon like these books, but the movies are the only true canon, and represent Lucas' full vision.

MadMel
eu canon is what i meant erm

The big EH
Originally posted by MadMel
if they were it would make obi-wan and extremely weak apprentice in terms of the force...strangely he could hold his own against qui-gon saberwise, but he had trouble mind tricking a kid half his age, and could maybe force "make some guy lose grip on his gun" if he was lucky erm
the best feat he ever did in the series was protect himself from a memory wiping device, which admittedly is pretty powerful, but everything else he's done is poor.. ya he was a padawan, obi-wan is renowned for his mind tricks, that and his saber style was what he was known for (other than basically raising a bastard spawn ((anakin)) who turns into a ***** and betrays the galaxy, although once he become an armoured emo he was cool) personally i liked these books, they gave you insight on what a padawan went through, and the Las of the Jedi showed you what hiding jedi were doing

sweersa
eu canon is what i meant erm

Oh, I gotcha. I never knew such a thing existed.

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by sweersa
They are children's books for the most part. (Not that Adults aren't supposed to read them, they are quite a good read for anyone.) It still is Expanded Universe, not nearly everything in the book, especially the introduced characters in the series are ever shown or discussed in the films which are canon. I like to think the better of the EU is canon like these books, but the movies are the only true canon, and represent Lucas' full vision.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

MadMel
another thing that gives me doubt is qui-gon's saber style..
in the books it is far more realistic and suited to his size and strength (arguably the largest human jedi in the order and he uses ataru? heh erm)
even though it is better suited to him (imho), it doesnt follow the canon, which was one of the main reasons for opening this thread..

sweersa
I will admit there were a few Jedi Apprentice books that really were lacking. One only had one instance of lightsaber action and it was just Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan training, which made it on the cover, that one was lame. But most are really great, its just the fillers that don't offer much. I think my favorite one is #2 with Xanatos, or #5, maybe becuase 5 was the first one I read.

MadMel
i hated 5 and 6
i dunno why, i just did erm
my favourite's gotta be #8, or the 3 with ona nobis in them..

Council#13
i hated 5 and 6
i dunno why, i just did erm
my favourite's gotta be #8, or the 3 with ona nobis in them..

Are five and six the ones where Obi-Wan leaves the Order? I think those were the most poorly written ones, also.

I liked number 9 the most. 8 was good. Xanatos is badass.

sweersa
Originally posted by Council#13
Are five and six the ones where Obi-Wan leaves the Order? I think those were the most poorly written ones, also.

I liked number 9 the most. 8 was good. Xanatos is badass.

Yes, Obi-Wan wants to help out with this faction of Melida/Daan. For some reason I really enjoyed these books. The "Young" group accomplished quite a lot to help stop a war.

Captain REX
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Why? Sweersa is right, only the movies have any true validity in regards to Lucas' vision.

The Jedi Apprentice books are canon so far as they are EU books and nothing in the films contradicts them.

As for Kenobi not being terribly powerful as a Padawan... well, he was a Padawan. What did you expect?

sweersa
Originally posted by Captain REX
Why? Sweersa is right, only the movies have any true validity in regards to Lucas' vision.

The Jedi Apprentice books are canon so far as they are EU books and nothing in the films contradicts them.

As for Kenobi not being terribly powerful as a Padawan... well, he was a Padawan. What did you expect?

I figure some of the EU are good reads although not true canon. I personally don't get into it that much, but I read a few series and I really enjoyed the Darth Bane books.

Yeah, Obi-Wan wasn't terribly powerful against Count Dooku either, in both II and III. I think it had something to do with Dooku's style that threw Obi-Wan off a bit.

After watching Obi-Wan pwn Maul and his fierce battles with Darth Vader. one would think Dooku wouldn't be nearly as difficult as it looks to be.

MadMel
i supose..
i kind of like the way the force is described in this series, and also the things that you never see jedi do in movies (routine missions, training, what life is like for younglings at the temple etc.)..
it also gives backstory to the characters (quigon when he was a boy, in brief flashbacks, and likewise for kenobi )

Kapton JAC

You know what I think about that word.

sweersa
You know what I think about that word.

Obi-Wan is perhaps the luckiest Jedi ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.