Pharmaceuticals in U.S Drinking Water

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chithappens
Link

This is a bit creepy, but does this really sound practical to anyone else?

I just find it hard to believe that we would just found out about this in 2008.

Robtard
Originally posted by chithappens
Link

This is a bit creepy, but does this really sound practical to anyone else?

I just find it hard to believe that we would just found out about this in 2008.

"Water providers rarely disclose results of pharmaceutical screenings, unless pressed, the AP found. For example, the head of a group representing major California suppliers said the public "doesn't know how to interpret the information" and might be unduly alarmed."

That's why. The good old "keep it under wraps and feign ignorance until it gets out of control and hopefully by then it will be someone else's problem."

Edit: Reminds me of a story I read years ago, there was a smaller farming community/town that had incredibly high rates of male babies being born with under-sized genitalia (no, they weren't Asian), turns out that the insecticide they used, which eventually made it's way into their water reservoir from rain run-off, had estrogen-like properties, a very potent estrogen.

chithappens
But this is pretty damn serious. This is not protecting someone's rep. This has consequences that are likely long-term and affect millions.

Stuff like this really bothers me. Does not surprise me at all but it is very dissapointing how much the regular Joe/Jane is ****ed over.

BackFire
It's a conspiracy to increase the sales of overpriced bottled water.

Devil King
Bottom line, if there's anything in your water besides water, you're getting screwed. I bathe with the water that comes out of my faucet and I piss in it, but I don't drink it.

I've been to water treatment plants, and there's nothing clean about the water that comes out of your faucet.

chithappens
Originally posted by BackFire

LOL why was that my first thought

BackFire
Yeah.

Here at my house we have a filter for water, and every couple of years we have to change the filter. And it's amazing how disgusting and full of crud the filter is when we take it out.

chithappens
That does not surprise me

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by BackFire

Isn't bottled water in itself a conspiracy?

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
Bottom line, if there's anything in your water besides water, you're getting screwed. I bathe with the water that comes out of my faucet and I piss in it, but I don't drink it.

I've been to water treatment plants, and there's nothing clean about the water that comes out of your faucet.

Take a trip to a water bottling plant, they're no better.

chithappens
Originally posted by Robtard
Take a trip to a water bottling plant, they're no better.

Please go on. I don't know anything about that.

Robtard
Please go on. I don't know anything about that.

They're not sanitary.

Edit:

Here's something that might interest you.
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/exesum.asp

chithappens
Sigh, I'm going back to juices.

Oh and thanks for the link

Robtard
Sigh, I'm going back to juices.

Oh and thanks for the link

Did you read where there are no regulations on the water bottling industry in regards to how much "fecal matter" contamination they can have in the water?

dadudemon
Did you read where there are no regulations on the water bottling industry in regards to how much "fecal matter" contamination they can have in the water?

There may be merit to what my Grandfather says, "I drink it straight from the tap and eat off the floor. All of these people who have to buy their bottled water and throw away "floor-food" have a weaker immune system."

Can avoiding all of these pathogens actually weaken us more than it prevents or is it most likely a give take relationship? (One side is gambling getting sick...the other side MAY be gambling their immune system's ability to respond.)

Robtard
Being exposed to germs does strengthen your immune system, fighting off viruses and bacteria is like a workout. Unless of course, it runs into a germ that kills you.

DigiMark007
Penn & Teller did an enlightening piece on bottled water for one of their "Bullsh*t" TV episodes.

An in-home filter isn't a bad idea, only because legit threats do occur occasionally, but a lot of it is simply undue alarm. Nothing sells like a good conspiracy story (whether it's bottled water, filters, etc.) so someone benefits from such reports. And water companies make their money on showers, dishwashers, clothes washers, etc. They don't really care too much about losing our "business" for drinking water.

Deano
why do they dump rat poison in our drinking water i wonder?

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=14949

keep informed

Quiero Mota

Yep. I used to work at one, and water treatment plants are more about making your tap water look pretty, than actually cleaning it.

Because "reclaimed water" is just another way of saying it's been recycled. Did you know that tap water can cause kidney stones because it contains sediment?

Devil King
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Yep. I used to work at one, and water treatment plants are more about making your tap water look pretty, than actually cleaning it.

Exactly! Let's make the gray shitty water clear, and no one will ask questions.

chithappens
I'm going to school in Knoxville, TN and, no lie, the hot water varies between gray and a light brown.

I don't know either...

Devil King
Well, hot water is a slightly different matter. But I don't know if that has something to do with the temperature or the pollutant content.

but I doubt your water is all that much cleaner than it would be if you were sipping it out of a river on the edge of a pig farm.

chithappens
Umm, that's encouraging...

dadudemon
I'm going to school in Knoxville, TN and, no lie, the hot water varies between gray and a light brown.

I don't know either...

Hmm, gray and brown?

Is the cold water clear?

If so, that means you are seeing rust and the such from old pipes. They stopped using metal pipes for plumbing a while back and now they use PCP. (This is the US of course.) Hot water indicates that it is the flow from the hot water origin and/or the pipes from the hot water tank.

That is probably an older building...30+ years?

course....I am just guessing.

Devil King
According to wikipedia, Knoxville, TN is located about 10 miles south of Bath, England.

Devil King
Umm, that's encouraging...

I could put sugar on your cheerios to make them more appeaing, if you'd like.

Quiero Mota

but I doubt your water is all that much cleaner than it would be if you were sipping it out of a river on the edge of a pig farm.

You're exaggerating; it's not that bad. Plants do a good job of sterilizing and killing pathogens, but sediments and minerals mostly come from rust and other rub-off from the pipes.

So drinking out of a tap isn't like drinking out of a farm trough.

Quark_666
I could put sugar on your cheerios to make them more appeaing, if you'd like.

But why use sugar when you could use beer?

Devil King
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
You're exaggerating; it's not that bad. Plants do a good job of sterilizing and killing pathogens, but sediments and minerals mostly come from rust and other rub-off from the pipes.

So drinking out of a tap isn't like drinking out of a farm trough.

Drinking pig farm water was an exaggerated methaphor; that was obvious to you, I'm sure.

But, do the sterilization plants do a good job of cleaning the water, or do they do a good job of cleaning the water of those elements, pathogens and all, of what they are designed to address? Heavy elements don't have to cause a snotty nose to be dangerous. Beyond that, clean water doesn't carry much that could infect the walls of an air-free pipe. What occurs in teh pipes occurs because the water brought with it any number of contaminates, not just because the pipes are the method of delivery. Uncontaminated water is an extremly reliable substance. In fact, it relies on it's own contamination to carry it over to other sources.

If you worked in a water treatment plant, I'm sure you're aware of the chemicals added to water to clean it. But, you don't "clean" water by adding more crap to it.

Quark_666
If you worked in a water treatment plant, I'm sure you're aware of the chemicals added to water to clean it. But, you don't "clean" water by adding more crap to it. Some geniuses do.

chithappens
Originally posted by dadudemon
Hmm, gray and brown?

Is the cold water clear?

If so, that means you are seeing rust and the such from old pipes. They stopped using metal pipes for plumbing a while back and now they use PCP. (This is the US of course.) Hot water indicates that it is the flow from the hot water origin and/or the pipes from the hot water tank.

That is probably an older building...30+ years?

course....I am just guessing.

Every two weeks or so they "fix" the hot water. IF you try to turn it on right as they finish it, the water looks like dirt. Other times if you just turn it on, it will be gray and cloudy. Any other time, it resembles water but it still does not look like water (this in particular includes cold water).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.