Batman R.I.P

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
what the hell are these Batman R.I.P ads I have been seeing in this weeks DC comics?

BruceSkywalker
Put up some scans.. DC is possibly planning on killing Batman and putting Dick Grayson in the Batsuit. It won't work. DC tried the same thing with Superman years ago and then had to bring him back.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Put up some scans.. DC is possibly planning on killing Batman and putting Dick Grayson in the Batsuit. It won't work. DC tried the same thing with Superman years ago and then had to bring him back.

But Superman is one person... And ONLY Clark Kent can be Superman (for obvious reasons)... Bruce Wayne may be Batman, but Batman is NOT Bruce Wayne...

Batman transcends Bruce Wayne... Batman is an ideal, a thought process, a symbol, not a person... ANYONE can be Batman... I think killing Bruce Wayne (and having a villain do it) would give Grayson and Drake a reason to CONTINUE, and inspire others to do better, or join in the fight... So personally, I think this is actually a pretty good idea... And let's not forget that they can always have a "Wayne Era" Batman line published to sooth the backlash...

So all the fans complaining, ESPECIALLY over at BOF (I comment on them a lot), are thinking killing Bruce Wayne kills Batman... But as I've already stated, Batman transcends what one character can do... It's an ongoing struggle, not the biography of one man...

And they can even bring back the all black suit... To differentiate the new and old...

sithsaber408
Respectfully disagree.

Batman is about a boy losing his parents, not knowing how to deal with it, going slightly insane, and fighting criminals as a giant bat.

He as a person is intelligent, athletic, a genius detective and superb martial artist and is a multi-millionaire to boot.

His name: Bruce Wayne.

To me, THAT is batman. Nobody else can be or do that.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Bat Dude
But Superman is one person... And ONLY Clark Kent can be Superman (for obvious reasons)... Bruce Wayne may be Batman, but Batman is NOT Bruce Wayne...

Batman transcends Bruce Wayne... Batman is an ideal, a thought process, a symbol, not a person... ANYONE can be Batman... I think killing Bruce Wayne (and having a villain do it) would give Grayson and Drake a reason to CONTINUE, and inspire others to do better, or join in the fight... So personally, I think this is actually a pretty good idea... And let's not forget that they can always have a "Wayne Era" Batman line published to sooth the backlash...

So all the fans complaining, ESPECIALLY over at BOF (I comment on them a lot), are thinking killing Bruce Wayne kills Batman... But as I've already stated, Batman transcends what one character can do... It's an ongoing struggle, not the biography of one man...

And they can even bring back the all black suit... To differentiate the new and old...

My friend I have to disagree somewhat. Killing Bruce Wayne will anger so many people. I'm sure there will be some sort of backlash. I'm sure Dick would be a great Batman but killing Wayne so DC can make some money off it just may not work. Especially since Batman Begins was so successful and The Dark Knight will also be very successful, DC should've change their plans some. BATMAN WILL ALWAYS BE BRUCE WAYNE AND VICE VERSA. If they do do this I hope they give Grayson some sort of armored suit t denote that is a changing of the guard. But also lets not forget the mistake that DC make after they broke Bruce's back and Bruce gave the mantle to Jean-Paul Valley. That just didn't work (even though I liked Azrael and I love the Bat armor), seeim=ng someone else in that suit just doesn't sound right and I'm sure after a few months DC will retcon everything to say that Bruce Wayne never died or he just went into hiding., so they can bring him back.

Bat Dude
It's ok to disagree... Actually, it's great that we disagree, as healthy debate is good for everyone...

I just see Batman differently then most... I see Batman as a symbol... A symbol of loss, tragedy, determination, and hope...

Batman, like the Crow, is born from tragedy, and like the Crow, all it takes is violence and tragedy to bring about the whole process again...

You see, to me, Batman isn't Bruce Wayne... But Bruce Wayne is Batman... But ANYONE could have become Batman... Joe Chill could have become Batman if he were in the same situation... The same kind of Batman? Probably not, but like I said, Batman isn't confined to the life of one person... He is an ideal, and that's why I'm ok with several (non-camp) depictions of Batman, because there is no "true" Batman because Batman transcends all that linear stuff for me...

tlbauerle
Ugh...

They already broke the Bat. Why kill him?

sindahouse
They're gonna kill him?? Damn!! Im sure he'll come back, but to bring back a dead Batman would taint the "realistic" feel of the Batman comic book world. But I guess we'll have to wait and see

sindahouse
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Ugh...

I agree

OB1-adobe
Seems kinda unnatural when I think of:

Clark, Diana, and Dick.

and not Clark, Diana, and Bruce

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
what the hell are these Batman R.I.P ads I have been seeing in this weeks DC comics?

It's just Morrison's stupid way to change the mythos to glorify his overrated stories.

See Batman and son.

BruceSkywalker
Ugh...

QFT

Bat Dude
Ugh...

Because there could be so much meaning behind it, such a strong theme could be present...

If Bruce Wayne dies and there is a worthy successor, it'll show that while your body may decay and die, the thoughts are forever... The ideas are forever... The symbol is forever... BATMAN is forever... It could finally show that while Bruce Wayne dies, Batman NEVER dies... He is ALWAYS watching over the city, whether it's Bruce, Rick, Tim, Terry, or anyone else...

While I think they should wait a little bit longer (70 year anniversary in Detective Comics May issue), I think having the mantle of the Bat passed down is the next logical step in the Bat mythos... Let's face it, they have done so much with the Bruce Wayne character that I think they could be running out of good ideas soon... It'd be a way of introducing the character to a new spin... An update... They did it to Green Lantern, Flash, and etc., why is Batman such a touchy subject?

I could easily go on and on about how much this could HELP the Batman series, but whatever...

Honestly, sometimes I don't understand the comic book community...

sindahouse
Because there could be so much meaning behind it, such a strong theme could be present...

If Bruce Wayne dies and there is a worthy successor, it'll show that while your body may decay and die, the thoughts are forever... The ideas are forever... The symbol is forever... BATMAN is forever... It could finally show that while Bruce Wayne dies, Batman NEVER dies... He is ALWAYS watching over the city, whether it's Bruce, Rick, Tim, Terry, or anyone else...

While I think they should wait a little bit longer (70 year anniversary in Detective Comics May issue), I think having the mantle of the Bat passed down is the next logical step in the Bat mythos... Let's face it, they have done so much with the Bruce Wayne character that I think they could be running out of good ideas soon... It'd be a way of introducing the character to a new spin... An update... They did it to Green Lantern, Flash, and etc., why is Batman such a touchy subject?

I could easily go on and on about how much this could HELP the Batman series, but whatever...

Honestly, sometimes I don't understand the comic book community...

Sorry, but Bats ain't like the rest... I usually have an open mind, but it damn closed when it comes to this subject..

Long live Bruce Wayne..... (well on paper anyway lol embarrasment )

Bat Dude
Originally posted by sindahouse
Sorry, but Bats ain't like the rest... I usually have an open mind, but it damn closed when it comes to this subject..

I think Batman is just like Green Lantern and Flash... Green Lantern is not one person, but a legacy... The Flash is not one person, but a legacy... That is what Batman should be, a legacy of sorts... The ideas of the Flash and Green Lantern are not the biography of one man, and neither should Batman... If there is someone worthy of the title, I don't care if his name is Bruce Wayne or not, as long as he embodies what the character truly means, and that is the pain of loss, and how we ease this pain... Bruce Wayne does that, but like I said, an update could go far in actually helping the character... So many new ideas could be brought into scope... Things that could never have happened in a Batman comic could now happen... But as I've said time and time again, Batman is NOT confined to the life of one character... At least, in my eyes...

And it's not like all his past stories/adventures are null and voided by this change... Everything that happened to that point still happened... Nothing is stopping you reading the old stories...

tlbauerle
QFT

Color me ignorant...what does that mean?

sithsaber408
Quoted For Truth.

tlbauerle
Sweet.

How'd I miss that?

sithsaber408
Took me awhile too. stick out tongue

Do you say "Powned" or "Pawned" for PWNED?

Over at theforce.net they have MTFBWY (may the force be with you) and GFFA (galaxy far, far away). big grin

suprmanvsbatman
Originally posted by sindahouse

I agree bats isn't like the rest theyv killed most of our heros at one point except bats, why not just keep it that way, its ironic seen as bats is the only one without actual powers, if bats died a little part of me would die i must say lol because we can relate to batman more than most herossmile

sindahouse
I think Batman is just like Green Lantern and Flash... Green Lantern is not one person, but a legacy... The Flash is not one person, but a legacy... That is what Batman should be, a legacy of sorts... The ideas of the Flash and Green Lantern are not the biography of one man, and neither should Batman... If there is someone worthy of the title, I don't care if his name is Bruce Wayne or not, as long as he embodies what the character truly means, and that is the pain of loss, and how we ease this pain... Bruce Wayne does that, but like I said, an update could go far in actually helping the character... So many new ideas could be brought into scope... Things that could never have happened in a Batman comic could now happen... But as I've said time and time again, Batman is NOT confined to the life of one character... At least, in my eyes...

And it's not like all his past stories/adventures are null and voided by this change... Everything that happened to that point still happened... Nothing is stopping you reading the old stories...

Bullocks... All superheroes are Legacys, except bruce. Bruce is batz. Sorry, mind is still closed

brainchild81

Honestly, sometimes I don't understand the comic book community... Me too. I think it's a bad decision. Not because it's bad idea at it's core, but because from what I've seen on the 'net, many of Batman's fans will go insane(er big grin ) It's fvcked up, but that's how it is. I've seen the same thing w/Batman Beyond. Was a great show, but people bit<hed about not liking anyone in the suit but Bruce.

I think they should pass the mantle, but keep Bruce alive. I'd like to see Grayson get his due. It's weird for Bruce to still be running around w/the guy who used to be kid Flash. Bats get treated like this because he's part of DCs holy trinity. They all seem to never pass the torch. It's always been a "if you're not Bats/Supes/WW........FVCK YOU!" type of thing w/DC. Does WW sell more than Flash or GL? I really don't think she belongs here

As for the Azbat thing. I loved the idea of the mantle being passed, but not to some super powered weirdo who came outta nowhere w/a stupid looking suit. The only 2 worthy are Grayson & Terry M.

Kainreaver
Batman may be all about the concept of the batman trancending the man Bruce Wayne...But even so, the fact is this: People will not roll with Bruce Wayne getting killed off, and somehow they will have to revert back to Bruce Wayne being Batman.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by brainchild81
Me too. I think it's a bad decision. Not because it's bad idea at it's core, but because from what I've seen on the 'net, many of Batman's fans will go insane(er big grin ) It's fvcked up, but that's how it is. I've seen the same thing w/Batman Beyond. Was a great show, but people bit<hed about not liking anyone in the suit but Bruce.

I think they should pass the mantle, but keep Bruce alive. I'd like to see Grayson get his due. It's weird for Bruce to still be running around w/the guy who used to be kid Flash. Bats get treated like this because he's part of DCs holy trinity. They all seem to never pass the torch. It's always been a "if you're not Bats/Supes/WW........FVCK YOU!" type of thing w/DC. Does WW sell more than Flash or GL? I really don't think she belongs here

As for the Azbat thing. I loved the idea of the mantle being passed, but not to some super powered weirdo who came outta nowhere w/a stupid looking suit. The only 2 worthy are Grayson & Terry M.

Yeah, I agree...

He doesn't have to die, but passing down the torch is what he should do... If done right, I see no reason why the comic can't benefit from it...

Jimmy Buggs
Is batman beyond noncannon?

brainchild81
Not IIRC. It's futuristic & could easily be made canon though.

Bat Dude
Not IIRC. It's futuristic & could easily be made canon though.

Isn't Batman Beyond one of the 52 universes?

brainchild81
Not sure. You may be right

super pr*xy
Isn't Batman Beyond one of the 52 universes?

yup...

OB1-adobe
batman is more than some guy in a batsuit.

YOu get rid of Bruce you take batman's soul.

I liked batman beyond and all, but out of all of the dcau its the one I liked the least. Its only cool because its a flash forward of batman's world.

Who really cares about the adventures of terry mcguinnes as opposed to the adventures of Bruce wayne?

On a second note, that show Bruce was basically still batman. He was the brains and that in a nutshell is what makes batman fascinating.

super pr*xy
bruce wayne is the essence of batman. taking away bruce and saying the next batman would be just the same is preposterous. it's like a tootsie pop... you take away the tootsie center and still have the gall to call it a tootsie pop. now, batman beyond wasn't so bad because it was a torch-passing of some sort and we do see bruce struggle as batman.

what makes batman work is bruce. no guns necessary... extensive martial arts training, killer bank roll, perfect alter-ego... while bats is out at night, bruce will be sleeping during the day. he's a billionare, no need for a day job. just a few appearances at fund raisers here and there...

with that being said...

http://www.newsarama.com/WWLA/08/DC/countdown.html

there is a mention of batman RIP in the article... and the possibility of batman becoming a new god. how exciting is that...

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by super pr*xy
bruce wayne is the essence of batman. taking away bruce and saying the next batman would be just the same is preposterous. it's like a tootsie pop... you take away the tootsie center and still have the gall to call it a tootsie pop. now, batman beyond wasn't so bad because it was a torch-passing of some sort and we do see bruce struggle as batman.

what makes batman work is bruce. no guns necessary... extensive martial arts training, killer bank roll, perfect alter-ego... while bats is out at night, bruce will be sleeping during the day. he's a billionare, no need for a day job. just a few appearances at fund raisers here and there...

with that being said...

there is a mention of batman RIP in the article... and the possibility of batman becoming a new god. how exciting is that...

I read the article, very fascinating.

Bat Dude

with that being said...

First off, no one is saying it'd be exactly the same...

And if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you this...

What makes Batman so much different from the Flash? Or Green Lantern? Or any other hero for that matter?

The Flash, another of DC's legendary characters, seems to have someone new in the costume every 20 years...

All I'm saying is a new Batman isn't "The Death of the Batman Line"... There are plenty of worthy characters to take up the mantle of the Bat in the event Bruce is no longer able to...

And like I said, the old stories will still be there... It's not like Bruce Wayne would have never existed...

I'm just trying to prove that Batman is no different from Flash... Batman is not written in stone, and any deviation from what was originally written is not a sin, as much as people love to think the opposite... Batman is a concept, and a concept that needs updating every once and a while, whether that's something little like a yellow oval on the suit, or something huge like someone new behind the cowl...

Again, I'd prefer they wait a little while longer...

But then again, I AM the guy that praises Burton's Batman movies, so you might not like my thoughts on it... roll eyes (sarcastic)

super pr*xy
First off, no one is saying it'd be exactly the same...

And if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you this...

What makes Batman so much different from the Flash? Or Green Lantern? Or any other hero for that matter?

The Flash, another of DC's legendary characters, seems to have someone new in the costume every 20 years...

All I'm saying is a new Batman isn't "The Death of the Batman Line"... There are plenty of worthy characters to take up the mantle of the Bat in the event Bruce is no longer able to...

And like I said, the old stories will still be there... It's not like Bruce Wayne would have never existed...

I'm just trying to prove that Batman is no different from Flash... Batman is not written in stone, and any deviation from what was originally written is not a sin, as much as people love to think the opposite... Batman is a concept, and a concept that needs updating every once and a while, whether that's something little like a yellow oval on the suit, or something huge like someone new behind the cowl...

Again, I'd prefer they wait a little while longer...

But then again, I AM the guy that praises Burton's Batman movies, so you might not like my thoughts on it... roll eyes (sarcastic)

well, bruce's life is what makes him effective in what he does. with that being said, BATMAN is no different to any other hero. he has already been replaced once. i acknowledge the fact that he is not the last batman, but he is the ONLY bruce wayne. this is the main point in my previous post. maybe i should've said it's what makes THIS batman work.

on a more personal note... i love batman forever.

brainchild81
batman is more than some guy in a batsuit.

YOu get rid of Bruce you take batman's soul.

I liked batman beyond and all, but out of all of the dcau its the one I liked the least.Do you consider Teen Titans or Legion of Superheroes part of the DCAU? Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Its only cool because its a flash forward of batman's world.

Who really cares about the adventures of terry mcguinnes as opposed to the adventures of Bruce wayne? I did. It was something new but it still paid homage to the old. & the new villains were way more formidable than the old onesOriginally posted by OB1-adobe
On a second note, that show Bruce was basically still batman. He was the brains and that in a nutshell is what makes batman fascinating. Nah. He was a mentor. Terry was Batman & Terry established himself on a many occasions as one who could hold his own(once even w/out the suit). Hell, in "Return of the Joker" he took down Joker his way, not Bruce's. Originally posted by super pr*xy

there is a mention of batman RIP in the article... and the possibility of batman becoming a new god. how exciting is that... About the "New God" Batman, that doesn't include powers does it? That'd suck

super pr*xy
that does include powers. immortality and flight to name a couple. oh, and gigantism. look it up on wiki... there's a few more.

brainchild81
laughing out loud That'd be horrible

sithsaber408
10 bucks says it'll all get retconned within the next 2 years. stick out tongue

Bat Dude
He was a mentor. Terry was Batman & Terry established himself on a many occasions as one who could hold his own(once even w/out the suit). Hell, in "Return of the Joker" he took down Joker his way, not Bruce's.

Yeah... I liked Batman Beyond for what it was... The next chapter in the Bat mythos... I really liked Terry as a character, and I thought he was a worthy successor to the name Batman...

However, when Epilogue was over, I was FURIOUS! They made him Bruce's son! WTF?!? That's basically them trying to make us believe that "only those of Bruce's bloodline are worthy of being Batman"... That's not true at all... Batman isn't a hereditary title...

brainchild81
I liked the way they explained it though. & I liked seeing that the Phantasm was still around.

super pr*xy
was all this in the cartoon? or did they make a comic book for that? cause i seriously don't remeber any of that in the cartoon. i have to buy the BB dvd now. you guys got me curious... and my wallet suffers when i'm curious... (insert hooker joke here.)

super pr*xy
was reading the april 2008 "edition" (couldn't come up with the actual word) of wizard. there is an article printed about the final crisis... it's an interview of jones and morrison i think. there was a mention of this too. they said that what's in store for batman isn't as simple as death. it's something bigger. that death would be the last thing on his mind.

could i just say... bruce is f***ed. in good way, maybe? time will reveal...

steverules
As long as in the end we still have Bruce as the bat it's all good

brainchild81
was all this in the cartoon? or did they make a comic book for that? cause i seriously don't remeber any of that in the cartoon. i have to buy the BB dvd now. you guys got me curious... and my wallet suffers when i'm curious... (insert hooker joke here.) 1st you should see Return of the Joker movie & then you should see the "epilogue" episode of JLU

super pr*xy
which season?

Dgw2007
i always think of
Clark, Bruce and Diana when think of comics
batman is bruce
clark is superman
diana is wonderwomen
flash will change so will gl but bats supes ad WW are concetent they cant chage tey wont

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Dgw2007
i always think of
Clark, Bruce and Diana when think of comics
batman is bruce
clark is superman
diana is wonderwomen
flash will change so will gl but bats supes ad WW are concetent they cant chage tey wont

You see, that's something I don't think I'd ever understand...

Batman could pass the torch if need be...

Wonder Woman, too, could pass the torch to a new Amazon if need be...

Superman is the only one that would be too difficult to replace... He's the LAST of his kind, remember, so the only way it would work is to clone him (done already), or have an android replace him (done already)...

brainchild81
Passing the torch would be great if the majority of the Batfans could handle itOriginally posted by super pr*xy
which season? It was either the last season or the one right b4 it.

Dgw2007
You see, that's something I don't think I'd ever understand...

Batman could pass the torch if need be...

Wonder Woman, too, could pass the torch to a new Amazon if need be...

Superman is the only one that would be too difficult to replace... He's the LAST of his kind, remember, so the only way it would work is to clone him (done already), or have an android replace him (done already)...
yes that is true but i would never want to replace them
batman could be replaced by todd, dick, or tim
WW could be replaced by cassie or donna
Superman is more difficult i would hope conner could be brought back
but i would hope not

super pr*xy
batman and wonder woman can be replaced. we've seen it. superman however... that's s different story. i don't think anybody can take his mantle. he' one and only.

Neo_Version 7
Now that I think about it, I am actually quite surprised they do not pass the mantle every 20 years or so considering Batman is a human being and not an alien like Superman.

But w/ev the case, I cannot see anyone else taking Batman's place. However, I am not saying it is not pull-offable (See Capt. America).

super pr*xy
plus with 52 universes, DC can retcon anytime they wanted to.

The Mean Queen
Originally posted by Dgw2007
yes that is true but i would never want to replace them
batman could be replaced by todd, dick, or tim
WW could be replaced by cassie or donna
Superman is more difficult i would hope conner could be brought back
but i would hope not i agree

BruceSkywalker
batman and wonder woman can be replaced. we've seen it. superman however... that's s different story. i don't think anybody can take his mantle. he' one and only.

But the books failed and DC had to fix things.

super pr*xy
DC had to fix a lot of things. the death of superman, for one. that was probably the biggest gimick that angered the fans.

and does anybody else think that the multiverse was brought back for DCs convenience? it is an easy way out...

BruceSkywalker
DC had to fix a lot of things. the death of superman, for one. that was probably the biggest gimick that angered the fans.

and does anybody else think that the multiverse was brought back for DCs convenience? it is an easy way out...

Which is what will happen once DC decides and kills Bruce Wayne. After several months of trying to establish Dick Grayson as the Batman, DC will retcon it and Bruce will be back.

King Of KOOL!
They cant kill Batman

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by King Of KOOL!
They cant kill Batman

QFT

OB1-adobe
maybe bruce doesn't die.

It just occured to me as a possiblility, but............

what do you think guys?

Bruce decides Not to be Batman anymore?

brainchild81
They definitely won't kill him. Batfanboys would fvcking riot. If they did they'd have him show up to save the day w/a full beard. Conveniently, the one that got killed was an impostor. Then they plug in lil' cutscenes of "Bruce" returning after a his last battle a year ago w/Ra's or something. Everybody starts remembering how weird he's been acting right afterwards.

Supes: Hey. How'd your fight w/Ra's go?
Bats: None of your fvcking business, bit<h!
*Supes thinks 'Bruce's even more of a meanie than usual. What's wrong w/him?'*

A few months later he's sparring w/Nightwing & getting his @ss whooped.
Nightwing: Man, you really are off today. I've never seen you like this. Something wrong?
Bruce: Yeah. Tired from fvcking ya mom last night, DICK! How's that?
NW:Bruce, that hurts.
Bruce: That's what SHE said!
NW: Not cool, Bruce. You of all people should have respect for the dead. *Walks out of room thinking 'Bruce's even more of an @sshole than usual. What's wrong w/him?'*

Another day
*Bruce spots Hawkman & GL Hal flying & flags them down.*
B:Hawkman, just wanted to tell you there's nothing good about what you do or who you are. You give new meaning to the term dead weight. The entire team hates you. You should try to be more like Hal. Hal's the coolest muthafvcka on the team. He sets the standard for all of us.
*Bats leaves & they fly away.
HM: Man, he's more of a prick than usual today.
GL: Nah. I thought he was nice today. I think me & him are gonna be good friends from now on.
HM: Shut up!
GL: No, you shut up!

The team feels silly for not being able to tell it wasn't really Bruce. They all tell him how glad they are that he's back & it's back to usual. The last page has Dick taking off the Batsuit & giving it to Bruce
D:This belongs to you

The fanboys stop rioting & go back to their normal lives big grin

Bat Dude
maybe bruce doesn't die.

It just occured to me as a possiblility, but............

what do you think guys?

Bruce decides Not to be Batman anymore?

That would actually be a pretty kool concept... *imagines what it would be like*

It would have to be planned months in advance... It would have to be gradual...

Something VERY tragic would have to happen to the guy who would become the new Batman (preferably Grayson) It would leave him cold and bitter inside...

Meanwhile, Bruce would be slowing down... Something would be making him slower, weaker, less able... He would look in the mirror one day, and realize he can't handle it anymore... He sees the face of his father and mother, and they tell him that he has been thinking about Gotham all his life, and that now he must start thinking about himself... He tells everyone that he'll be retiring...

Bruce: I've done all I can. I can't be doing this forever. They've been trying to tell me this for a long time. I'm only human. My crusades are killing me. As much as I hate to say it, I can't be doing this forever. It's time for someone else to handle the burden.

*panel of Bruce leaving the cave, with Richard Grayson, alone, in the dark, cold cave that is now his home* (Think how Kay left Michael in his father's study in Godfather Part I)

Not exactly "picture perfect transition", but I haven't thought up the specifics of the story...

Just an idea...

brainchild81
A great one too. But it won't work 'cuz they can't handle it

Neo_Version 7
Is that not similar to the concept of 'The Dark Knight Returns'?

But yeah. You cannot kill Batman.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
Is that not similar to the concept of 'The Dark Knight Returns'?

But yeah. You cannot kill Batman.

I assume you mean you cannot kill Bruce Wayne?

Cuz Batman goes far beyond just Bruce Wayne...

Neo_Version 7
I assume you mean you cannot kill Bruce Wayne?

Cuz Batman goes far beyond just Bruce Wayne...

Yes, my mistake.

The more I read about this event, the more I just want them to kill Bruce Wayne already. I do not think the Batman series has ever had a Holocaust-like event happen to it. You know? Something like the story of Superman dying and ruining the series in the process. When Bruce dies and they retcon it, we can finally get it out of the way.

After that, it will be nothing but smooooooth sailing. Somebody shoot Frank Miller already though.

DestinyGuy678
batman has basically been against all of the villains and held his own, who could kill him?

that aside I think him dying while sad, it would be a good idea it would give the comic book universe a more realastic feel...especially since he's been the same age for 50 years or something

supercomixking
People really wont except a batman other than Bruce. They have done this crap so many times already you wold think they would be sick of it by now. Remember that nutcase azbats, and dick has been batman more then once by now. They keep coming up with stupid ways to "end Bruce Wayne as batman" but it never works. As soon as that suit gets put on someone else the fans stop buying after the novelty fades. If they kill him off they will just wind up pissing everyone off. The thing is if they try to make the "new batman" similar to Bruce the fans will reject him as a clone and say that there was no point in killing Bruce. On the other hand if the new guy is in anyway unlike Bruce they will despise him as an impostor. Tim is just to young, the idea of a teenage batman that doesn't live in the future seems laughable. Dick, (though great as nightwing) would fall into the clone category and would be the equivalent of a dumber version of Bruce. Not to knock dick's intelligence but Bruce is a freakin genious and master of understanding the criminal mind.
Anyone else would be an outsider, and rejected on those grounds. The bottom line being that as soon as the novelty of the new batman fades the fans will get sick of him and quit reading the comic. The reason for all of this being that no one can measure up to Bruce, he sets the standards too high. I have no doubt that if they killed him they would eventually bring him back. And if he quit, he would eventually wind up as batman again. But this crap has already been done to death. Why cant the idiots at DC learn that no one can replace Bruce Wayne as batman. Besides Bruce is the only one driven enough not to let being batman drive him crazy. Which by the way is the third possibility to what might happen to him. If Alfred turns out to be the mastermind behind the murder of the waynes and of all of this business now Bruce might just end up in arkham. nd the same goes for if it turns out to be Thomas Wayne, but personally i think that would ruin the series forever! Both of Bruce's parents need to have been murdered by joe chill. Also there are so many ways to have your wife killed without traumatizing your son and abandoning your life and fortune. If it is him, that's some pretty lousy writing. mad rolling on floor laughing miffed no What the f**k? disgust

Warrior18
Originally posted by DestinyGuy678

that aside I think him dying while sad, it would be a good idea it would give the comic book universe a more realastic feel...especially since he's been the same age for 50 years or something

Blasphemy I say. Blasphemy!!!!!! mad

supercomixking
Actually he does age but it's at the pace of a snail. Think about it, when dick first became robin he was an underage brat, now he's at least in his mid twenties. So there is no way that bruce would still be the same age as he was way back in the 1950's, he'd need to be in his mid to late fourties or possibly early fifties.

WrathfulDwarf
Batman R.I.P.?

OVERRATED AND OVER PRETENTIOUS!

There I said it.

Jugglenaut
Wow at 681 and its ending.
The Black Glove is a nobody and Hurt = Thomas Wayne = Mangrove Pierce?
At least Damien knocks Joker over a cliff with a car. LOL

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Batman R.I.P.?

OVERRATED AND OVER PRETENTIOUS!

There I said it.

AGREED

steverules
Why get rid of Bruce? sad I don't think he should stop being the batman

Kovacs86
Originally posted by supercomixking
Actually he does age but it's at the pace of a snail. Think about it, when dick first became robin he was an underage brat, now he's at least in his mid twenties. So there is no way that bruce would still be the same age as he was way back in the 1950's, he'd need to be in his mid to late fourties or possibly early fifties.

Early. Fifties...
Right.
I'd imagine Bruce is probably still in his late thirties, actually. He was in his 20s when he first became Batman and now Dick is presumably in his 20s, so I imagine that'd be about right...

Kovacs86
****. I just heard Grant Morrison talking about Batman genuinely being dead. Stupid ****ers. How long's this shit going to last? I guess I'll just ignore Batman for a while before those twats piss around, before bringing Bruce back.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by steverules
Why get rid of Bruce? sad I don't think he should stop being the batman

I don't think he is even dead!!!

steverules
I mean get rid of him as in get rid of him as batman...not get rid of him as in killing him off, sorry I wasn't very clear

Neo Darkhalen
Well that's another classic comic book figure ruined by writers who spent to much time up there own ass, and thought they could do whatever they want with the character...now i just have to wait for Wayne's return until i pick up another Batman title.

steverules
There's a chance he may not return as batman...I was surprised by what happened

BruceSkywalker
There's a chance he may not return as batman...I was surprised by what happened

If he doesn't return as Batman, then perhaps as Azreal or even a brand new Batman type character

Badabing
There's a chance he may not return as batman...I was surprised by what happened Don't say that......don't ever say that!!!! I will e-kick your ass! uhuh

Kovacs86
If he doesn't return as Batman, then perhaps as Azreal or even a brand new Batman type character

Please tell me why they would do that. Even Dan Di-thingy is not that ****ing stupid.

Master Crimzon
Was a good finale, IMO. Batman's last actions were friggin' badass.

So, does anyone wanna discuss Black Glove's identity? I was quite surprised by the fact that there wasn't a straight reveal. My interpretation is thus- Black Glove's identity is rather irrelevant, although we can go on and discuss what it is. What matters is what Black Glove is- essentially a living manifestation of Batman's worst fears. The devil he alludes to during the comic, really.

steverules
Originally posted by Badabing
Don't say that......don't ever say that!!!! I will e-kick your ass! uhuh

Bring it on excellent

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Please tell me why they would do that. Even Dan Di-thingy is not that ****ing stupid.

Its just a thought...

Personally I cannot wait until Bruce Wayne returns to the cape and cowl especially if people don't buy into Dick Grayson as Batman..

However if people do and I may or may not be one of them then the questions becomes will Bruce Wayne stay dead ala Steve Rogers or will DC bring him back to reclaim the cape and cowl or as someone like Azrael or a new character

Kovacs86
Its just a thought...

Personally I cannot wait until Bruce Wayne returns to the cape and cowl especially if people don't buy into Dick Grayson as Batman..

However if people do and I may or may not be one of them then the questions becomes will Bruce Wayne stay dead ala Steve Rogers or will DC bring him back to reclaim the cape and cowl or as someone like Azrael or a new character

Why on earth would Bruce Wayne join the Order of St Dumas?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Why on earth would Bruce Wayne join the Order of St Dumas?

No Idea, but thats a thought depending on when he returns

Lord Shadow Z
Killing Bruce Wayne off is a really bad idea and stupid. Sure the hype of the actual announcement will get people to buy into the new comics just to see what direction they go in, but its not worth killing DCs' best character just because they've ran out of ideas for Bruce.

They'll give the cowl to somebody else (probably Dick) and give him the same old crime-fighting storylines that they did with Bruce and pretty soon they'll wonder what was the point of replacing him in the first place.

I'm certainly not buying any more Batman comics, I'm sticking with my trusted Bruce Wayne ones.

Silent Guardian
Originally posted by DestinyGuy678
batman has basically been against all of the villains and held his own, who could kill him?

MisterAJ
He has aged since the 80's DC-revamp...

But Batman RIP is my least favorite story line thus far...

Bruce wayne is the worlds greatest detective...

Batman (the ideal) IS NOT...

Batman's intelligence was one of the things I really liked, as well as his
"near super-human" strength, endurance, etc...
Those thing's came from Bruce Wayne studying, learning, working out, training martial-art's, etc...

- Dick's not mature enough to cover Gotham solo...
- He couldn't handle running the Outsiders...
- He only had Bruce as a teacher...

Bruce traveled the world, seeking out people to train him... and to teach him...

Good as Bruce may be, in order for Dick to gain the same level, he would have
to have done the same, on his own... which he never did...
Bruce had a multitude of teachers.
Dick never had...

During the "one Year" (the one which was the missing "one year later"wink,
Bruce locks himself inside a cave for... I don't remember... weeks...
What did Dick do..? train..? study..? learn..? no...
Waited... got board... found some criminals, and beat them up... went back
to the cave, and finished waiting... until Bruce came out...

Silly waste of time...

Lord Shadow Z
Basically if they retire the character Bruce Wayne they have to end Batman and do something else. Stop living off Bob Kane's creation by sticking another character into the suit and hoping people like it. Christ, make another character DC, or is that too hard nowadays?

MisterAJ
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/21/128770159386664045.jpg

Kovacs86
Originally posted by MisterAJ
He has aged since the 80's DC-revamp...

But Batman RIP is my least favorite story line thus far...

Bruce wayne is the worlds greatest detective...

Batman (the ideal) IS NOT...

Batman's intelligence was one of the things I really liked, as well as his
"near super-human" strength, endurance, etc...
Those thing's came from Bruce Wayne studying, learning, working out, training martial-art's, etc...

- Dick's not mature enough to cover Gotham solo...
- He couldn't handle running the Outsiders...
- He only had Bruce as a teacher...

Bruce traveled the world, seeking out people to train him... and to teach him...

Good as Bruce may be, in order for Dick to gain the same level, he would have
to have done the same, on his own... which he never did...
Bruce had a multitude of teachers.
Dick never had...

During the "one Year" (the one which was the missing "one year later"wink,
Bruce locks himself inside a cave for... I don't remember... weeks...
What did Dick do..? train..? study..? learn..? no...
Waited... got board... found some criminals, and beat them up... went back
to the cave, and finished waiting... until Bruce came out...

Silly waste of time...

A) Sock!!!

B) Those guys at DC are geniuses, aren't they?

C) Is geniuses actually a word?

Toku King
'R.I.P' is bad, but not the worst thing to happen to Batman, much less a superhero(*cough*Brandnewdayspidertotemonemoredayo
thercivilwarclonesagasinspastsinsrememberedchapter
onethegatheringoffivemaximumcarnagespidermanreignl
izard'stale*cough*), this past decade.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Basically if they retire the character Bruce Wayne they have to end Batman and do something else. Stop living off Bob Kane's creation by sticking another character into the suit and hoping people like it. Christ, make another character DC, or is that too hard nowadays?

Ive said it before, and ill say it again: DC and Marvel need to end their Legacy's. Sucks for the people who work in the industry, but these charcters have pushed and pulled in every which way direction.

End it, re-release all of it for the world to read, focus more on animation, and live action entertainment

Sado22
when did anything really "new" happen for Bruce?
but yes, killing bruce will mean DC killing off about the only character that i actually find somewhat interesting.

jalek moye
isn't his death in final crisis after his one in rip?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by jalek moye
isn't his death in final crisis after his one in rip?

His "death" in final crisis is meant to be "final" but knowing what DarkSeid's omega blasts are tells me Bruce Wayne will eventually return

TheMercurial
Sure, Batman does not automatically equal Bruce Wayne. But Bruce Wayne as Batman is a character who's been around longer than most people. For people to say that Batman is more than Bruce Wayne is nonsense because there has never been an incarnation of Batman where Bruce Wayne didn't either handpick the person to take his place or train them.
Bruce Wayne is the only real Batman we've ever known (insofar as a fictional character can be real) and to say that a new Batman can be made by someone picking up the suit and taking the name is crazy.
If somebody came along before Bruce's death and earned the cape and cowl, if Bruce named them as his successor and then died, it'd be different.
Anything else is just a rip-off of what Batman really is and I can't believe they decided to kill him.

Batman is a legacy. It's the legacy of Bruce Wayne, not the legacy of anyone who feels like calling themselves Batman.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by TheMercurial
Sure, Batman does not automatically equal Bruce Wayne. But Bruce Wayne as Batman is a character who's been around longer than most people. For people to say that Batman is more than Bruce Wayne is nonsense because there has never been an incarnation of Batman where Bruce Wayne didn't either handpick the person to take his place or train them.
Bruce Wayne is the only real Batman we've ever known (insofar as a fictional character can be real) and to say that a new Batman can be made by someone picking up the suit and taking the name is crazy.
If somebody came along before Bruce's death and earned the cape and cowl, if Bruce named them as his successor and then died, it'd be different.
Anything else is just a rip-off of what Batman really is and I can't believe they decided to kill him.

Batman is a legacy. It's the legacy of Bruce Wayne, not the legacy of anyone who feels like calling themselves Batman.

Excellent points..

BTW nice sig and avy

jalek moye
well on the plus side of his "death" superman is gonna go crazy on some people

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by jalek moye
well on the plus side of his "death" superman is gonna go crazy on some people

QFT

MisterAJ
Just read Final Crisis 7...

BORING!!![

BruceSkywalker
What did everyone truly think of this story?

starlock
Originally posted by MisterAJ
Just read Final Crisis 7...

BORING!!!

Final Crisis = major fail sick

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by starlock
Final Crisis = major fail sick

yes it was..

Final Crisis should not have involved the fate of Bruce Wayne

Ravenger777
Well let me put it this way-
Bruce Wayne is batman. That who he has been forever. its never been different. Grayson for instance, might be A batman or a temporary substitute for Batman, but Bruce Wayne is THE Batman.
What is Superman wasnt Clark Kent, or spiderman wasnt ptere parker? that who they are and that who they should stay. Thats the way they got popular and famous. That is the way everyone knows them.

Ravenger777
i totally agree

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Ravenger777
Well let me put it this way-
Bruce Wayne is batman. That who he has been forever. its never been different. Grayson for instance, might be A batman or a temporary substitute for Batman, but Bruce Wayne is THE Batman.
What about Terry McGinnis?
owait

Micheal_Myers
Heres a question thats come up pretty late in the game but I've only recently got around to reading RIP. One thing I couldnt help but notice was the fact that the Joker's skin wasn't exactly chalk white anymore? I gotta be honest...I'm a little confused? Is this part of the whole plastic surgery thing in Batman 663? Because I didnt bother finishing that issue.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.