Who is the most POWERFUL- Slver surfer, Thor or Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ultimatethor
Loads of vs threads have been done regarding these three but which of them is the most powerful?

Gecko4lif
thor is entity level

janus77
Surfer is LT level.

seriously though, Surfer is beyond the other two by a good margin.

Bouboumaster
It's between Thor and Surfer.... And Hulk. shifty

python99
I think Silver surfer is more powerfull, in terms of what he can actually do with his powers. ie- pretty much anything

Heck! I think Meggan is more powerfull than Supes in terms of what she can actually do

Papa Smurph
Thor

WrathfulDwarf
Wolverine and WWH.....

Soljer
Odinpowered Thor is clearly beyond the other two.

Failing that, the Surfer possesses the most raw power.

h1a8
This thread is ambiguous. What defines someone to be more powerful than another? Is it the amount of energy they possess or the amount they can potentially hold?

guy222
Thor has the Odin Power. He wins

Soljer
Originally posted by h1a8
This thread is ambiguous. What defines someone to be more powerful than another? Is it the amount of energy they possess or the amount they can potentially hold?

Power: The amount of work performed per unit time.

Air Legend
Originally posted by Soljer
Odinpowered Thor is clearly beyond the other two.
And LT-powered Surfer is clearly beyond Odinpowered Thor.

quanchi112
Surfer...I dont count Odinpowered Thor unless specified by the threadmaker.

Priest
Thor even without the Odin power IMO.

Unnatural-POWER
Based on raw power and not who i think would win in a fight...

I would probably choose Thor.

h1a8
To be honest with you Power is one of the only things in Physics that I don't truly understand (theoretically). I can do the Physics problems involving Power very easily though. Maybe with variable forces then power might make sense. But with constant forces I quite don't understand Power because I see that the change in Kinetic energy is equal to work done which in turn equals Force x Distance. But Force is equal to Mass x Acceleration. So this means that since Kinetic energy is directly proportional to acceleration then it has the same meaning as power (because work per unit time can be derived from acceleration and mass alone).

For example, if I accelerate an object of mass M from rest with constant force and for t seconds then the distance the object traveled can be calculated using force/mass=acceleration and then plugging the found acceleration into d=1/2at^2. So now I know Force and Distance and can find the work done. Also I know the time it took to do the work (which was t) and thus can calculate power. So power and work are really the same thing in disguise.

h1a8
smile

spidey-dude
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Wolverine and WWH..... fanboy

spidey-dude
i thought superman prime was most powerful

Unnatural-POWER
Originally posted by spidey-dude
i thought superman prime was most powerful

He's not in this thread, it's just regular Superman.

spidey-dude
Originally posted by Unnatural-POWER
He's not in this thread, it's just regular Superman. just regular surfer as well. thread starter didnt post anything about LT surfer or king thor

Unnatural-POWER
Originally posted by spidey-dude
just regular surfer as well. thread starter didnt post anything about LT surfer or king thor

As i understand it, it's the regular incarnations of each character seeing as there was no mention of other incarnations.

Mindset
Or current incarnations, which would be Odinpower Thor

Mr. Slippyfist
Even classic Thor IMO is more powerful than the others.

llagrok
I would probably lean towards Thor due to bias.

Honestly, they're all pretty equal.

h1a8
What are you guys talking about?

LORD B
i think the thread stater means all round power

h1a8
Originally posted by LORD B
i think the thread stater means all round power

And what does that mean? You can't define a word using the same word.
So does it mean that the more powerful is the one who can do the most things or effects (most versatile)?

Soljer

It isn't ambiguous.

Power is work per unit time.

Who can perform the most work in the shortest time?

horrorwolf
The Surfer.

Both Thor and Superman two lack the overall resourcefulness Surfer posesses to do things like...

a. Channel and absorb energies to amp existing abilities far beyond normal levels. Superman can do this with solar energy from earth's sun though.

b. Similar to Galactus...Surfer can extend and maintain any abilities for as long as there is cosmic available. Thor and Superman will tap out before Surfer who is capable of self sustenance any form of energy within the cosmos.

c. Cosmic awareness and Manipulation Matter. thats just plain powerful in itself. Resourcefulness in a nutshell. Surfer can and has also directly fed off of the energies of opponents.

carver9
I think h1a8 is trying to find a reason to bring superman as number 1 in this thread, thats why he keeps asking off the wall questions.

Overall power
1st: Thor
2nd: Surfer
3rd: Superman

Thor and surfer is equals in overall power but I give a slight nod to thor. surfer and thor>>>>>>>>>Superman in power and versatility. The only output of power that superman possess is heat vision and ice breathe whereas surfer and thor possess so much more and basically have done so much in comics that its ridiculous.

Mr. Slippyfist
Thor can effect Celestials with his blows (all out, but still)... and let's not forget about the Godblast...

He also took down Glads easily after he got serious, with basic blows...
The Durok blast as well... Even Perrikus was getting beatdowns from Thor. Storm...

In my mind, he is clearly more powerful than the other two... not to say he'd win a fight... but still...

Mindship
What defines someone to be more powerful than another? The most powerful means the one with the highest power average. The power average has two parts: how much energy it would take to destroy the character in a single blast; and: how much energy the character could release in a single blast of destruction.

cool
Originally posted by Unnatural-POWER
Based on raw power and not who i think would win in a fight...
I would probably choose Thor. I'm inclined to agree...
...as long as it's not who would win in a fight.

darthgoober
Surfer gets my vote. Thor's Godblast is arguably the most powerful attack between the three, but some of Surfer's mass transmutation feats(such as his evolving an entire planet billions of years in an instant) probably require more power overall IMO.

Knowsbleed33
Thor without question.

h1a8
It isn't ambiguous.

Power is work per unit time.

Who can perform the most work in the shortest time?

Did you read my post concerning both Work and Power? If not then read it and tell me what you think.
Basically work equals power (under constant forces).

Gecko4lif
classic thor beats every version of surfer except keeper imo

The Great Galen
Well technically if we were to examine each character's history and rate all there incarnations Supes would be the most powerful IMO. Consider his showings in PC era, AS Supes, Supes 1M, SMP 1M, SM Blue and even in his current era. Thor matches very closly especially with his RKT incarnation, so I'd say it's between the both of them.

Knighted Steel
I think Thor is.

Superboy Prime
Surfer.

K-Dog
h1a8: Power basically is how fast can you do the work. If you accelerate a mass over a given distance, you can do it slow so it takes an hour, or you can get it done in a second. Apply more force to do it faster (mass = force X acceleration). You'll get the work done either way, but with more force you get it done faster. Think if you and another guy wanted to load a bunch of 40 lb dog food bags into the back of a pickup truck. You could take all day to do it, or you could do it fast if you were stronger (able to exert more force). Same on accelerating a car to 55 MPH. You could take 5 seconds to do it in a powerful car, or 15 seconds in a car with less horsepower. Time is the new variable when we talk about power. Time is of the essence! Seriously, it is in a lot of physics applications, and real life stuff too. You'll notice that

Physics is cool dude. I took it in high school and college too. I'm a Doctor of Chiropractic (never told anybody here before, although it doesn't make me any better in comic studies!)

h1a8
The VulcanData

quote: (post)

To be honest with you Power is one of the only things in Physics that I don't truly understand (theoretically). I can do the Physics problems involving Power very easily though. Maybe with variable forces then power might make sense. But with constant forces I quite don't understand Power because I see that the change in Kinetic energy is equal to work done which in turn equals Force x Distance. But Force is equal to Mass x Acceleration. So this means that since Kinetic energy is directly proportional to acceleration then it has the same meaning as power (because work per unit time can be derived from acceleration and mass alone).

For example, if I accelerate an object of mass M from rest with constant force and for t seconds then the distance the object traveled can be calculated using force/mass=acceleration and then plugging the found acceleration into d=1/2at^2. So now I know Force and Distance and can find the work done. Also I know the time it took to do the work (which was t) and thus can calculate power. So power and work are really the same thing in disguise.

Last edited by h1a8 on Mar 14th, 2008 at 03:07 PM

K-Dog
h1a8: Not to get too far off topic, but re-reading your post at the end, it said that power and work were about the same thing. Understanding the difference between power and work, momentum vs. kindetic energy, voltage vs. amperage (electricity), etc. is very important in physics because the differences are very real (although hard to comprehend at times).

Ok, I'll vote for Superman because he has never been permanently taken down by anybody yet and he's faced just about everybody (although Thor has too I guess).

DigiMark007
We can confirm that Thor > Surfer in overall power by Surfer's own admission (multiple times, actually) and their in-comic battles and encounters, all of which Thor has won.

With Kal it's tricky because he can likely out-brawl Thor, and won the (non-canon) meeting between them, but isn't as versatile, so it would likely become dependent on your definition of power.

CaptainStoic
Originally posted by DigiMark007
We can confirm that Thor > Surfer in overall power by Surfer's own admission (multiple times, actually) and their in-comic battles and encounters, all of which Thor has won.

With Kal it's tricky because he can likely out-brawl Thor, and won the (non-canon) meeting between them, but isn't as versatile, so it would likely become dependent on your definition of power.

Great analogy, so are we all in agreement that Thor is the most powerful?

llagrok

Didn't the Surfer beat Thor in their first encounter?

Mindship
With Kal it's tricky because he can likely out-brawl Thor, and won the (non-canon) meeting between them I believe the JLA/Avengers crossover (if that's what you're referring to) is canon.

Originally posted by llagrok
Didn't the Surfer beat Thor in their first encounter? At the beginning of their first fight, Surfer knew immediately what he had to do and did it: he separated Thor from Mjolnir with unrelenting cosmic fire. Once Thor was down, Surfer paused in his attack to yada-yada-yada, which included his mentioning that Mjolnir's magic (not Thor, per se) was mightier than his own cosmic force. Because Surfer paused, Thor recovered, and it is the general consensus that Thor won this fight.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Mindship
I believe the JLA/Avengers crossover (if that's what you're referring to) is canon.

At the beginning of their first fight, Surfer knew immediately what he had to do and did it: he separated Thor from Mjolnir with unrelenting cosmic fire. Once Thor was down, Surfer paused in his attack to yada-yada-yada, which included his mentioning that Mjolnir's magic (not Thor, per se) was mightier than his own cosmic force. Because Surfer paused, Thor recovered, and it is the general consensus that Thor won this fight.

Maybe you're right. Though it would still be dependent on your definition of power, because Thor's much more versatile even though Kal is slightly better at regular brawling.

As for the latter, Thor and Mjolnir are a package deal. No one has any problem admitting that Surfer is more powerful than Thor without Mjolnir, but I think that it has to be included.

So my vote in this thread would go to Thor, but it's still highly dependent on what people value in their character, because you could make a case for any of them.

darthgoober

There are a couple of problems with your assessment.

1. Those "multiple times" Surfer said that Thor was more powerful both come from the same fight, and that was from the period when Surfer's Power Cosmic was weakened from his confinement on Earth. It's also somewhat contradicted by this scan from after Surfer's full powers were restored...

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/39/page19ta3.jpg

2. The only two canon fights between the two have extenuating circumstances behind them. In the first one, Surfer was depowered by Galactus and then powered up to an unknown degree by Loki(Surfer won that fight) and in the second was while Thor was in "Warrior Madness mode " during the whole Blood and Thunder, and most agree that arc is a bad portrayal of every character involved EXCEPT Thor.

The only fights the two of them have without questionable circumstances are in non canon books, and both of them have Surfer as the victor...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8976/whatifv207013qa2.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2181/whatifv207014xt5.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3573/whatifv24122jw4.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9252/whatifv24123hr7.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2448/whatifv24124lf1.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6527/whatifv24126zj5.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8016/whatifv24128ha7.jpg

CaptainStoic
Originally posted by darthgoober
There are a couple of problems with your assessment.

1. Those "multiple times" Surfer said that Thor was more powerful both come from the same fight, and that was from the period when Surfer's Power Cosmic was weakened from his confinement on Earth. It's also somewhat contradicted by this scan from after Surfer's full powers were restored...

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/39/page19ta3.jpg

2. The only two canon fights between the two have extenuating circumstances behind them. In the first one, Surfer was depowered by Galactus and then powered up to an unknown degree by Loki(Surfer won that fight) and in the second was while Thor was in "Warrior Madness mode " during the whole Blood and Thunder, and most agree that arc is a bad portrayal of every character involved EXCEPT Thor.

The only fights the two of them have without questionable circumstances are in non canon books, and both of them have Surfer as the victor...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8976/whatifv207013qa2.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2181/whatifv207014xt5.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3573/whatifv24122jw4.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9252/whatifv24123hr7.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2448/whatifv24124lf1.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6527/whatifv24126zj5.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8016/whatifv24128ha7.jpg

I was always under the impression that the Surfer wasn't downgraded at all in the power dept., but more to the effect, that Galactus locked his energy signature to the planet, hence not allowing him to leave... kinda like a super tractor beam of sorts.

darthgoober
Originally posted by CaptainStoic
I was always under the impression that the Surfer wasn't downgraded at all in the power dept., but more to the effect, that Galactus locked his energy signature to the planet, hence not allowing him to leave... kinda like a super tractor beam of sorts.
Nah Surfer was actually less powerful during that period...
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/2191/silversurfer0233pn1.jpg

Mindship
As for the latter, Thor and Mjolnir are a package deal. No one has any problem admitting that Surfer is more powerful than Thor without Mjolnir, but I think that it has to be included.

So my vote in this thread would go to Thor

Absolutely Thor and Mjolnir are a package deal, but the package can be tampered with. Thor even knew that the Surfer was trying to separate him from Mjolnir, and he still couldn't prevent it.

This is why I also vote for Thor in terms of sheer, overall raw power, because he and the hammer are one. But needing the hammer for his full potential: that can be exploited in a fight.

Soljer
Surfer > Thor. Just to throw another opinion in the pile. smile.

(Unless we're talking about Odinforce Thor, of course)

Superboy Prime
l6EixUZ5bJw

llagrok
Why didn't they go super saiyan?

Tron
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
l6EixUZ5bJw

Why is Thor flying without his hammer?

Unnatural-POWER
Originally posted by Tron

That's what i was thinking, i also liked Thor's punching speed smile

llagrok

And why does Thor use his hammer to make lightning?

Shit's weird.

Bad Ash231
l6EixUZ5bJw

Boo-urns.

Tron
And why does Thor use his hammer to make lightning?

Shit's weird.

That's sounds pretty normal to me, actually.

batdude123
l6EixUZ5bJw

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/SupermanandThorbrawlin3.jpg

Juntai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaD9v460yI

Newjak
Originally posted by batdude123
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/SupermanandThorbrawlin3.jpg Once again if you believe that then you also must believe that Ironman is smarter than Batman

batdude123
Originally posted by Newjak
Once again if you believe that then you also must believe that Ironman is smarter than Batman

This doesn't even make sense.

So one single instance's credibility throughout the entire four issues is dependent upon everything else shown?

Newjak
This doesn't even make sense.

So one single instance's credibility throughout the entire four issues is dependent upon everything else shown? Yes.

If a witness lies about one part of their testimony then the entire testimony is called into question. 313

So if you beleive that to be definitive about superman beating Thor then Ironman must also be defintiely smarter than Batman on panel, or

It's like all crossovers and doesn't deserve to be taken into account.

batdude123
Yes.

If a witness lies about one part of their testimony then the entire testimony is called into question. 313

Except we're dealing with comic books... not a trial. Therefore, the correlation is folly. awesome

So if you beleive that to be definitive about superman beating Thor then Ironman must also be defintiely smarter than Batman on panel, or

It's like all crossovers and doesn't deserve to be taken into account.

I don't regard the crossover as definitive proof, even though I think Superman wins the battle.

I was merely posting it in response to that laughable youtube video.

Newjak
Except we're dealing with comic books... not a trial. Therefore, the correlation is folly. awesome So if Thor beat Superman.

And Batman was shown to be smarter than Ironman. Would you say that book should be used as proof. excellent

batdude123
Read the edited post.

Newjak
Except we're dealing with comic books... not a trial. Therefore, the correlation is folly. awesome

I don't regard the crossover as definitive proof, even though I think Superman wins the battle.

I was merely posting it in response to that laughable youtube video. I don't care about the youtube video I care about you batdude cryoh

batdude123
I don't care about the youtube video I care about you batdude cryoh

love

Newjak
love blush2

Sirius77
Anyways...

I think it depends upon what type of power is being considered... physical or versitality?

Physically, Superman is the most powerful.

In the way of Versitality, Surfer is over both of them.

Thor is a close second to Superman in physical power.

carver9
Originally posted by Sirius77
Anyways...

I think it depends upon what type of power is being considered... physical or versitality?

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thor is physically everything superman is EXCEPT speed, with some interenst on the side. Surfer is everything superman is plus some interest on the side. Both characters are physically superman equal but if you add on the additional powers that they have>>>> Superman. Thats basically saying that mimic is almost as powerful as thor since mimic does possess optic blast (not a blast a powerful as superman but still shoot out the eyes), have super strength (not as strong as superman but is quite strong. Move half the speed of light (dont know how fast he can go in the vacuum of space), have a healing factor, nigh invulnerable, etc.... Do you also think that mimic is close to power with thor or surfer.

Again, like I said before, superman only output of power is his heat vision and ice breath, please dont let me name what the surfer and thor can do because I would need about two pages to type it up.

Superboy Prime
I don't think Thor's durability is equal to Superman's. However Mjolnir makes up for that.

carver9
I don't think Thor's durability is equal to Superman's. However Mjolnir makes up for that.

I think that superman is more durable then thor when it comes to sharpnel, things in that catagory but I think that thors damage soaking ability is greater then superman. Some of the things that superman have fallen to, I could see thor brushing them off and getting back up fighting again.

Just my thoughts but I do agree that someone like wolverine would have a much harder time cutting through superman then he would against thor but I think that someone like kalibak would have a harder time bringing thor down then he would superman.

The Great Galen
At there peak it's: RKT>PC Supes>>>>>>>>>>>>SS

carver9
Originally posted by The Great Galen
At there peak it's: RKT>PC Supes>>>>>>>>>>>>SS

What you fail to understand is, what adjustments is there to make to surfer that he dont already have. What I mean is that PC supes had and rkt thor had additional powers that is on top of the ones that they have now. What is there to give surfer, he basically have almost every power at his disposal. Theres no need to upgrade a character in surfers statur because there is nothing there that he is missing.

carver9
Plus I dont agree with the PC supes being>>>>surfer. If anything he is> surfer and thats being generous. I agree with rkt thor though.

Sirius77
Originally posted by carver9
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thor is physically everything superman is EXCEPT speed, with some interenst on the side. Surfer is everything superman is plus some interest on the side. Both characters are physically superman equal but if you add on the additional powers that they have>>>> Superman. Thats basically saying that mimic is almost as powerful as thor since mimic does possess optic blast (not a blast a powerful as superman but still shoot out the eyes), have super strength (not as strong as superman but is quite strong. Move half the speed of light (dont know how fast he can go in the vacuum of space), have a healing factor, nigh invulnerable, etc.... Do you also think that mimic is close to power with thor or surfer.

Again, like I said before, superman only output of power is his heat vision and ice breath, please dont let me name what the surfer and thor can do because I would need about two pages to type it up.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Thor has been beaten by Superman in a canon fight with no stipulations. You are completely inept when it comes to debating ANYTHING regarding Superman.

And if you would have actually read my post instead of seeing Superman and suddenly going into troll mode, you would have seen that I said that he was physically about Surfer and Thor. Which he is. He caught thors hammer being swung in rage with one hand and then knocked him out. As far as surfer goes, I have always seen Superman as physically above him. The thing that Surfer has that Superman does not is better versitality. He doesnt have the strength feats to put him above Superman 'physically'.

Sirius77
I think that superman is more durable then thor when it comes to sharpnel, things in that catagory but I think that thors damage soaking ability is greater then superman. Some of the things that superman have fallen to, I could see thor brushing them off and getting back up fighting again.

Just my thoughts but I do agree that someone like wolverine would have a much harder time cutting through superman then he would against thor but I think that someone like kalibak would have a harder time bringing thor down then he would superman.

Actually, I doubt that wolverine would be able to cut through Superman at all imo. There was a crossover where Superman took an adamantium cutting laser to the chest and didnt flinch. I know it was just a crossover, but sentry also took wolverines claws to no effect, as has hulk on some occasions iirc.

Sirius77
Plus I dont agree with the PC supes being>>>>surfer. If anything he is> surfer and thats being generous. I agree with rkt thor though.

Of course you don't. Because its Superman.

Silent Master

Superboy Prime
What in the ****?

Silent Master
What in the ****?

Mindset
Actually, I doubt that wolverine would be able to cut through Superman at all imo. There was a crossover where Superman took an adamantium cutting laser to the chest and didnt flinch. I know it was just a crossover, but sentry also took wolverines claws to no effect, as has hulk on some occasions iirc.

I don't remember Sentry taking Wolverine's claws, I remember Wolverine trying to stab him and Sentry grabbed his hand between each claw.

Mindship
Why is Thor flying without his hammer? Yeah, that looked mightily unorthodox when he came out of the hole in the ground. But when he leaped off the side of the building, I figure he wasn't flying but leaping out of the ground, too. bored

ultimatethor
IMO surfer is the most powerful followed by thor. Yes indeed a DEPOWERED surfer has in a few badly written fights accepted that thor is more powerful dan him but i really would not like to use such fights in comparing powerlvls. I also dont think that the superman thor crossover whether canon or not should be used because well it IS A CROSSOVER and most of them are hardly credible. Now the reason i put surfer above thor is mainly because of his superiority to thor in both mattermanipulation and enrgy manip. Going by enrgy feats surfer is a far greater enrgy manipulator than thor e.g A weakend surfer was able to summon and manipulate the crunch enrgy a feat which evn galactus was extremely impressd by. HE has evn been able to manipulate the odin force which is MAGICAL ENRGY and can manipulate almost all the types of enrgy in the universe. In comparison thor enrgy manipulation is rather mundane

The surfer has also evolved an entire planet by billions of years and IMO he has greatest power feat out of the three. This feat shows the surfers ability to manipulate matter on a PLANETARY scale. He also has other good feats like deactivating all the machines on earth and
the aftermath of his blasts( which are planet destroying) being able to create multiple black holes. He has also been able to match thanos powr output a few times.

Lastly though the surfer and thor are both very versatile charcters i would still give the edge to surfer in terms of versatility. The surfer has the ability to do things that evn thor cannot. His senses( excluding cosmic sense) are far superior to both thor and SUPERMAN and abilities such as creation of illusions, copies of himself, healing and the ability to amp the different aspects of his powers to extremely high lvls plus a whole lot more are things dat evn thor cant do. Now if the surfer had all these powers on a low lvl then i would say that thor would still be more powerful but in almost all his power categories he is one of the top dogs.

TO break it down surfer = All superman powers+ higher than thor enrgy and matter manip + lots extra

llagrok
Anyways...

There really isn't a lot the Surfer can do that Thor can't.

ultimatethor
There really isn't a lot the Surfer can do that Thor can't.

Actually their are a few things that i can think of just off the top of my head.( if i think longer then it could get to be more than a few)

ultimatethor
No direspect to thor( he is one of my favorite charcters) but lets see him turn the obliterators blast into bubbles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.