Character's Core Concepts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Newjak
We all know in many media forms that certain things such as love, hate, greed, etc are all symbolized in various ways including characters. Comics are no different.

So this thread is pretty straight forward. Take any character you want to and tell us what you think is the very definition of what that character stands for. It can be as detailed as you want.

Please no bashing other people's posts this is a topic where different characters can mean different things to other people. So just because someone sees a character different then you doesn't make them stupid or wrong.

Thank you and have fun.

DigiMark007
Wolverine Core Concepts: Snikt; Bub

...and it's true.

Newjak
I'll start with probably my favorite character concept of all time, Superman.

What is it that most people think of when they think of Superman. That he stands for Truth, Justice, and the American way. I think he does.

But for me Superman hits on an even more dynamic concept for me. That is the idea that no matter what, who, or where Superman will stand up for what is right.

That no matter what happens to him, he will never let you down cause he is what we think is the best in all of us.

Newjak
Originally posted by DigiMark007

...and it's true. I know and he has taken those and turned them into a way of life stick out tongue

Tetragrammaton
Originally posted by Newjak
Avlon, get the hell off Newjak's account!

Juntai
lol.

Accel
Please no bashing other people's posts
*leaves thread*

grey fox
Spiderman : Loss and responsibility.

Newjak
Originally posted by Tetragrammaton
Avlon, get the hell off Newjak's account! Nevah!!!!! uhuh

Originally posted by grey fox
Spiderman : Loss and responsibility. I agree with this.

Is there any specific reasons why, just wondering?

Bentley
Mr. Fantastic: Uber science-geek. Elastic too.

Blacklighting: He is black and has lighting.

DigiMark007
I'll co-sign Spidey. "With great power..." might be the most oft-used line in comics these days, and he's also always been about personal suffering.

LORD B
captain america

Master-Borg
Punisher: Vigilantism

Hulk: Anger

Batman: Dichotomy

Superman: Perfection

Spiderman: Conflict

Joker: Madness

Lex Luthor: Ambition

Xavier: Peace

Doomsday: Death

Thanos: Power

Apocalypse: Survival

Namor: Pride

Reed: Curiosity

Wolverine: Solitude

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Master-Borg
Punisher: Vigilantism

Hulk: Anger

Batman: Dichotomy

Superman: Perfection

Spiderman: Conflict

Joker: Madness

Lex Luthor: Ambition

Xavier: Peace

Doomsday: Death

Thanos: Power

Apocalypse: Survival

Namor: Pride

Reed: Curiosity

Wolverine: Solitude

With the exception of Luthor, Doomsday and Namor I would say that all of those are totally off base.

Raoul
Avlon, get the hell off Newjak's account!

laughing

Doctor-Alvis
To me, Superman represents the ideal person so many other people wish they were. That mythical pinnacle of morality and principal that doesn't really exist. He's the person with the noble cause they have to tell you about that, although just, most of the time, you wish they'd just shut up about it.

Wolverine is the racing stripe on the side of your hot wheel. The cool dirt bike trick. The sweet rims, that hot chick in the mediocre movie, the shiny new paint job. No matter how much back story he gets, he looks cool, kills people, and plays the loner with the mysterious past card for 40 years.

Spider-man represents Murphy's Law when half your rogues are smarter than you are and you just can't leave it all behind and become a ghost. Drop off the grid, etc.

And Cyclops... is just boring. With the power of having a gun for a face.

Raoul
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
To me, Superman represents the ideal person so many other people wish they were. That mythical pinnacle of morality and principal that doesn't really exist. He's the person with the noble cause they have to tell you about that, although just, most of the time, you wish they'd just shut up about it.

Wolverine is the racing stripe on the side of your hot wheel. The cool dirt bike trick. The sweet rims, that hot chick in the mediocre movie, the shiny new paint job. No matter how much back story he gets, he looks cool, kills people, and plays the loner with the mysterious past card for 40 years.

Spider-man represents Murphy's Law when half your rogues are smarter than you are and you just can't leave it all behind and become a ghost. Drop off the grid, etc.

this is one of those 'i regret having msn' days...

Tetragrammaton
Damn, I haven't seen a post so right since the last time I looked at my post history.

Doctor-Alvis
I've been poking at Cyclops way longer than my tenure in the chat.

Raoul
I've been poking at Cyclops way longer than my tenure in the chat.

i know... sad

Damn, I haven't seen a post so right since the last time I looked at my post history.

jerk.

Master-Borg
Cyclops: Teacher's Pet

Raoul

doh

Rorschach

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/Uncanny_X-Men_492_005.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/Uncanny_X-Men_492_006.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/Uncanny_X-Men_492_007.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/Uncanny_X-Men_492_018.jpg

shifty

Tetragrammaton
Originally posted by Rorschach

shifty
Wolverine wannabe.

Doctor-Alvis
What a whiner. "YOU'RE EMBARRASSING ME IN FRONT OF MY FRIENDS, MOM"

shksprtx
Wolverine and Batman: for me, both these characters represent moral ambiguity. Is doing the right thing good if you sometimes have to use questionable means to do so?

Batman fights crime as a form of revenge. Revenge has always been morally ambiguous, and therefore Batman's motivations as a crimefighter are of especial philosophical difficulty.

As for Wolverine, I would argue that he is a loner precisely because he exists in a moral gray area. Most comic heroes (at least the ones prior to the 80's and 90's, I would say) are either all good or all bad, with almost no middle ground. Wolverine IS that middle ground. He tries to do what is right, but is so violent and berserk at the same time...

Superman, on the other hand, seems to me to represent moral absolutism; he's so impossibly good that he exists as the behavioral benchmark by which we are supposed to measure ourselves.

tjcoady
This a thread that, when I am not so drunk after St. Patrick's day, I feel like I have to write something intense in. Fun idea for a thread.

Drifter
Cyclops: burden of leadership. I suppose this is true of most leader characters. However, I think it's at its purest in Cyclops because you can clearly see the way his job has turned him from a nice-enough, shy and geeky guy to a stressed-out, bossy jerk.

Bentley
Cyclops: Whinny leader.

Wolverine: Multipleman 2.

Endless Mike
Thanos: Death

llagrok
Originally posted by shksprtx
Wolverine and Batman: for me, both these characters represent moral ambiguity. Is doing the right thing good if you sometimes have to use questionable means to do so?

Batman fights crime as a form of revenge. Revenge has always been morally ambiguous, and therefore Batman's motivations as a crimefighter are of especial philosophical difficulty.

As for Wolverine, I would argue that he is a loner precisely because he exists in a moral gray area. Most comic heroes (at least the ones prior to the 80's and 90's, I would say) are either all good or all bad, with almost no middle ground. Wolverine IS that middle ground. He tries to do what is right, but is so violent and berserk at the same time...

Superman, on the other hand, seems to me to represent moral absolutism; he's so impossibly good that he exists as the behavioral benchmark by which we are supposed to measure ourselves.

Batman doesn't kill.

Wolverine'll kill anyone who points a gun at him.

jgiant
Punisher: judge jury and exicutioner. He knows there is a fine line between right and wrong and if you cross it, no matter who you are or what you have done, he will punish you. "You work for the devil, you better be ready to die for him" Mother Russia and "In his heart, he knew it was wrong. But it was what he wanted. So he went ahead and did it, and hoped everything would work out all right...thats why he deserved to be punished." In the Beginning. Both great quotes that sum up the punisher new school. As for old school, "They laugh at the law. But they don't laugh at me" from return to big nothing seems to sum up old school punisher for me at least.

Mindship
Silver Surfer: nobility, tragedy, redemption; freedom and oneness with the universe.

Superman: the modern hero archetype; the personification of the best in humanity.

llagrok
The personification of the best in humanity is alien? ewww

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by DigiMark007

...and it's true.

laughing out loud

And you close the Official Hate Wolverine thread. stick out tongue

Newjak
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
laughing out loud

And you close the Official Hate Wolverine thread. stick out tongue Less hatey more conepty uhuh

stick out tongue

Cartesian Doubt

What is it that most people think of when they think of Superman. That he stands for Truth, Justice, and the American way. I think he does.

But for me Superman hits on an even more dynamic concept for me. That is the idea that no matter what, who, or where Superman will stand up for what is right.

That no matter what happens to him, he will never let you down cause he is what we think is the best in all of us.

IMO he's an Alien version of Emmanuel Kant. Like Kant; Supes always strives to do what is right no matter the circumstances or the consequences. He has moral principles that he very rarely questions, hence why he regularly comes into conflict with various others, who believe that they can act immorally, for moral reasons.

IMO i think Clark should change his surname to Kant.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.