Something Wicked This Way Comes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gideon
Publius has informed me that he's completed one of the reconstructions to his analysis of Emperor Palpatine, "Something Wicked This Way Comes: the Life and Times of Palpatine the Undying". In all actuality, it's a new introduction to the analysis (and it's very lengthy), which covers a bit regarding Palpatine's networks, private life, philosophy and doctrines, friends and allies, and his involvement with the dark side of the Force.

Here's a link: http://www.domuspublica.net/something_wicked_this_way_comes.html

It's very good. Enjoy.

Darth Sexy
This guy is one hell of a writer. However, one begins to question how much time he spends on doing this..

Elite Hunter
Wow that is long, and im only half way done. But im looking forward to the next part.

Gideon
No idea when it'll be done, one can only speculate. But he is a prolific writer and as a debater, he's also peerless, and puts major emphasis on source citations and objectivity.

Publius
Oh, stop it Gideon, you're embarassing me. love stick out tongue

exanda kane
Just a biography of a dull character though? :/

Gideon
Originally posted by Publius
Oh, stop it Gideon, you're embarassing me. love stick out tongue

It's great to know that Publius and I are always on your mind, Nebaris.

LOL, it's good to see that you're still a beacon of positive thinking, Exanda. Out of curiosity, when it comes to the EU, why post if all your responses are going to be negative? It's characteristic of someone who enjoys saying non-positive things.

Blax_Hydralisk
I was gonna read it, but then I was like "Wait, this dudes typing in a super small font.. on a really long page." So then I stopped reading it and came on here and posted this reply instead. Now I'm gonna go wank. Bye.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Gideon
LOL, it's good to see that you're still a beacon of positive thinking, Exanda. Out of curiosity, when it comes to the EU, why post if all your responses are going to be negative? It's characteristic of someone who enjoys saying non-positive things.

Well, I'm sorry if I spoiled your 'fun', but my question still stands; is this simply a character biography of Palpatine or is it something else/more (delete as applicable)?

Darth Sexy
It was an excellent read, as I would expect no less from Publius. For all of you kids that like to *****, you can read this on the john, it's what I did.

Blax_Hydralisk
w-we can?

Elok Quintly
I've always loved Publius' work, especially his Palpatine biography. The only missing information I can discern from this latest update is the fact that Triclops isn't Palpatine's biological son.

exanda kane
Why not use footnotes, seriously? Fluency gets clogged up and the writing suffers because of it. My first criticism by the way.

Gideon
Originally posted by exanda kane
Why not use footnotes, seriously? Fluency gets clogged up and the writing suffers because of it. My first criticism by the way.

The first of many, I'm sure. Out of curiosity, Exanda, aren't you in a similar field?

As to your earlier question, he writes fanfiction in his "Inventions" section, but the rest is essentially essays.

exanda kane
I don't write biographies for fictional characters if that's what you mean. And neither do I do it for fun; it's a requirement to finish my mezra of course-age.

The writing is, fair enough, good and coherent (although humour's a'lackin') but I just don't see why this has been written and why it has been put on a pedastel by yourself for anything other than the subject matter. Does that count as a second criticism? I'd appreciate someone to tally; I'm not good with numbers.

Gideon
The writing is, fair enough, good and coherent (although humour's a'lackin') but I just don't see why this has been written and why it has been put on a pedastel by yourself for anything other than the subject matter. Does that count as a second criticism? I'd appreciate someone to tally; I'm not good with numbers.

Well, it's kind've like how I don't understand why you put Harrison Ford and Han Solo on such a pedastel or why you continue to post on a forum with virtually every post being critical or otherwise negative. It comes down to subjectivity, Exanda, and what Publius gives is a very thorough document of information with sources for nearly every statement, which extends well beyond Palpatine, and myself and others admire his methodology.

exanda kane
It's actually nothing like that at all. I realise this may be going off topic now, so I shall keep it short and snappy(-ish):

Why write a pseudo-essay on the life of the good ol' Emperor without exploring anything outside of this little bubble fans of SW have created? It may look nice with the little font and the amount of sources (none of them correctly cited I might add) but it has no value in any circles other than the one mentioned. It would do justice to the amount of effort put into that writing if it had an argument; it alludes to Shakespeare, yet does nothing with it.

And on a side note, my lauding of Harrison Ford is more of a reactionary effect of reading a lot of posts about predictable Jedi and their over-the-top exploits.

Again, you may admire this guy, but there are hundreds of essays on SW out there that are both enjoyable and interesting. Go read them. They have a point to them. Admire those.

Elok Quintly
The point is to compile a comprehensive biography of sorts, synthesizing all of the sources available to produce a coherent repository of information on the character of Palpatine. You may not find it interesting, but other fans might.

Palpatine is far more complex character than people give him credit for, and this series of essays is proof of this.

exanda kane
Complex for Star Wars maybe, but otherwise no. The more people try and defend a mere biography, because that is what it is, as some bastion of knowledge, the more I'm just gonna cain it down.

Note to Gideon: That negative enough? wink

Gideon
Complex for Star Wars maybe, but otherwise no. The more people try and defend a mere biography, because that is what it is, as some bastion of knowledge, the more I'm just gonna cain it down.

Note to Gideon: That negative enough? wink

Exanda, you're more than welcome to your opinion. That you prefer to spread constant negativity is your choice, though it does tend to make one conclude that your mind is a cache of numerous psychological disturbances, but if that's how you choose to live your life, far be it from me to judge you.

exanda kane
I like the way you put that 'numerous psycholigical disturbances', I'm scribbling that one down for later use.

Of course, lets remove ourselves from the fact that you're lauding an indulgent biography of a villain from a science fiction-franchise and I'm the one asking what the point of it is.

Elok Quintly
Trolls are fun!

I love how you deride Publius for improper citations, yet you make numerous spelling and grammatical errors.

exanda kane
Valid criticism equates to trolling somehow? Or is your accusation just a sympton for not being able reasonably defend against logical, if prying questions? I think the latter. Of course, I am not the one writing misdirected essays on two-dimensional characters, so I can rely on colloquial language and let rip some linguistical blasphemy. Get a clue kid.

Elok Quintly
Perhaps you should learn to spell the word 'symptom' before attempting to confuse lowly, unlearned children with pedantic English.

exanda kane
That could be considered trolling y'know.

And I'm still waiting for a valid point in this discussion from you. I shall fire off some more linguistical blasphemy as I mentioned.

Elok Quintly
As far as I can tell, you haven't made any valid points either. And verily, you are a troll. Your presence here is for the sole purpose of inciting controversy.

Kapton JAC
Why write a pseudo-essay on the life of the good ol' Emperor without exploring anything outside of this little bubble fans of SW have created? It may look nice with the little font and the amount of sources (none of them correctly cited I might add) but it has no value in any circles other than the one mentioned. It would do justice to the amount of effort put into that writing if it had an argument; it alludes to Shakespeare, yet does nothing with it.

True, they aren't "proper" citations, but it does show where he got his information.

Exanda, you're more than welcome to your opinion. That you prefer to spread constant negativity is your choice, though it does tend to make one conclude that your mind is a cache of numerous psychological disturbances, but if that's how you choose to live your life, far be it from me to judge you.

I liked that. I'm gonna borrow it some time, if you don't mind. And if you do... well... oh well...

Originally posted by Elok Quintly
As far as I can tell, you haven't made any valid points either. And verily, you are a troll. Your presence here is for the sole purpose of inciting controversy.

True.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Elok Quintly

That's your dodgy comprehension sonny jim, not the truth of the matter. I have made valid points and as of yet they still stand valid. I have asked questions regarding Gideon's lovefetish, pardon the lack of subtext, and got nothing but limited stick back. Please, engage in the discussion and stop trolling or "ge' daan the schtairs you sclhagg."

Again I'd like to point out to Mr.Moderator, whether it be Queeq or Ushgarak, whenever they make an entrance, that I am attempting to stop the topic from derailing.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
True, they aren't "proper" citations, but it does show where he got his information.

Your vendetta still stands? Get over me lover. Anyway, yes it does show where he got his information, but really, the writing suffers for the haphazard way in which it's cited.

Gideon
Oh, how cute. Miss Negativity is hurling out insults, whilst simultaneously getting her white, cotton panties all in a twist about "trolling". I'd tell you to get a life, Exanda, but chances are that upon said purchase, you'd analyze it for flaws.

What a deeply disturbed person you are.

Kapton JAC
Your vendetta still stands? Get over me lover. Anyway, yes it does show where he got his information, but really, the writing suffers for the haphazard way in which it's cited.

There is no vendetta, I just find your ways of debate... amusing, and of course anything I can add to increase the amusingness (yes, I know that that's not a word, but I really don't care.) of your ways, I will.

And it seems as if you have contradicted yourself.

I don't write biographies for fictional characters if that's what you mean. And neither do I do it for fun; it's a requirement to finish my mezra of course-age.

Oh, yea, that's right it has to be cited properly... how would you like yourself cited exanda? MLA? APA?

exanda kane
Oh, how cute. Miss Negativity is hurling out insults, whilst simultaneously getting her white, cotton panties all in a twist about "trolling". I'd tell you to get a life, Exanda, but chances are that upon said purchase, you'd analyze it for flaws.

What a deeply disturbed person you are.

Easy Gideon, you really are on a bend to mediocrity while getting your own knickers in a twist. Insults? No. Trolling? Who even uses that term half-seriously? Analyze? Go away with your American English. Moderator? Please. The cool guy is getting mirked.

exanda kane
Gonna get me neck down the pan for replying to this but you're fun to run circles around...

Originally posted by Kapton JAC
There is no vendetta, I just find your ways of debate... amusing, and of course anything I can add to increase the amusingness (yes, I know that that's not a word, but I really don't care.) of your ways, I will.

Yeah, elipsis doesn't suit you mate. Try validity and logic before you show your hand at style. Always works to have the solid forwards right before you pass it out to the backs. Perhaps it isn't a vendetta, perhaps it is just me noticing you jumping into discussions where you have nothing to bring to the table apart from a sincere lack of humour or understanding and I have valid points.

Eh, come again? Oh sorry, that's your point. That is just funny. Oh come on now, do I really have to explain the obvious?

Mr.F will do howdeedoodat.

Elite Hunter

Well this is a star wars forum, so what do you expect? In fact on a similar note you are right that there are many more complex biographies out there (which i do enjoy reading some in my spare time) but I doubt many other people here care really in fact I don't care if there are better essays (as of right now) outside of star wars because I am not here to discuss them or compare them to Publius's work, I'm here to talk about this particular essay. So let's just leave it at that.

Now getting on topic, two of the parts that I found interesting were the parts of how Sidious holds Ulic Qel Droma in high regard and the information regarding if Sidious was using battle meditation at Endor.

Gideon
Easy Gideon, you really are on a bend to mediocrity while getting your own knickers in a twist. Insults? No. Trolling? Who even uses that term half-seriously? Analyze? Go away with your American English. Moderator? Please. The cool guy is getting mirked.

Ma'am, when banter is initiated, one has an obligation to perform up to par or abandon the sport entirely. You haven't demonstrated anything approaching wit. But I suppose you wouldn't, since all you seem to do is thrive on a forum concerning subjects that you don't particularly like and feel obliged to criticize. Your stated intent that you'll make it your personal mission to "cain" this essay brings nothing but great amusement and an excellent study of human character and how troubled the future for humanity is. Perhaps, through your example, society will learn to purge itself of people like you. So, though you're doing us a great service, I believe both Han and Harrison would be deeply embarrassed to see what their fan brigade has become.

Ushgarak
Ok, keep the arguments between yourselves to PM, please.

Gideon
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Ok, keep the arguments between yourselves to PM, please.

Sure thing.

I was pretty harsh on that last one, Exanda, and I apologize. The death of a friend of mine hasn't put me in the best of moods. That said, I still don't get why you have to be so negative about everything, but we've all got our quirks.

I just won't be responding to any more of it, unless you have a legitimate question.

exanda kane
That's no problem Gideon and I'm sorry for the loss of your mate.

I'll give it a rest now as the beer fridge that feeds me liver needs restocking. Pub time.

Gideon
Have fun.

Kapton JAC
Sure thing.

I was pretty harsh on that last one, Exanda, and I apologize. The death of a friend of mine hasn't put me in the best of moods. That said, I still don't get why you have to be so negative about everything, but we've all got our quirks.

I just won't be responding to any more of it, unless you have a legitimate question.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, and not responding to kane, may be the most intelegent thing said so far, and thus I also retract my argument. Have a good night Y'all.

Melcórë

Gideon
It was never intended to be anything but a biographical essay on Palpatine, thus I fail to see why complaints are being made. If you're looking for creative writing, try the "Inventions" section that includes his fanfiction and his novelized Dark Empire, which is better than the vast majority of Star Wars literature (and the only reason I don't hate the Dark Empire project).

But people had been asking about Publius and his works, thus why I posted this. His methodology and objectivity for debates are essentially peerless.

Melcórë
....Even essays may have interpolations of a personal or societal fashion. I understand the purpose for the thread, I'm merely stating some general criticisms, which is always valid. As I said above, I nevertheless found it informative and enjoyed it enough due to its content.

Kapton JAC
Anything written by anyone is biased toward what they believe when they started writing it, unless there is alot of evidence proving them wrong, and even then they don't change their opinion and come across as raving lunatics.

Darth Sexy
It was never intended to be anything but a biographical essay on Palpatine, thus I fail to see why complaints are being made. If you're looking for creative writing, try the "Inventions" section that includes his fanfiction and his novelized Dark Empire, which is better than the vast majority of Star Wars literature (and the only reason I don't hate the Dark Empire project).

But people had been asking about Publius and his works, thus why I posted this. His methodology and objectivity for debates are essentially peerless.

Publius' writing is some of the best I've ever read. Better than most of the professors in college. His in depth analysis of Palpatine is so detailed, it's weird how one could not be fascinated with it, and the life of Palpatine. I get excited everytime he comes out with a Palpatine story.

Melcórë
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
Publius' writing is some of the best I've ever read. Better than most of the professors in college. His in depth analysis of Palpatine is so detailed, it's weird how one could not be fascinated with it, and the life of Palpatine. I get excited everytime he comes out with a Palpatine story.

....I wouldn't say that at all; while it was scholarly, it wasn't mindblowing. I've read Wookieepedia's article many times, and, for all its faults, saw much of the same information posted there. LMAO, I'm coming off as an @$$hat, aren't I?

Blax_Hydralisk
Yeah you are, ****ing asshat stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.