Dune

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
A new version of Frank 'Erberts Dune is to be made. I for one loved the original film adaptation but I guess this will be worth seeing simply to see how it has done. No one mention Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes please. In fact, don't mention Tim Burton at all.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22209

There may already be a thread on this. Whoops if so.

queeq
Tim Burton!

Hmm... interesting. I still love Lynch's version, although it has faults. But I felt the tv series showed its greatness...

Peter Berg eh... but errr.. The Kingdom sucked... Scary.

exanda kane
Well, if it has Jason Bateman, even in an ill fated Michael Bluth cameo, I will enjoy it.

And yes, the Children of TV thing was pretty good. Kyle McLachlan was a great Paul Atreides though!

Robtard
Dune is one (if not the) of my favorite Sci-Fi flicks of all time. I've said this before, they should remake it, but make it into a three part movie to completely capture Herbert's work; with a budget to rival the LOTR trilogy. Now, that would be a great movie.

"yet from seeing if Berg can succeed where David Lynch failed" How did he fail?

queeq
Well, it wasn't a perfect film and it bombed at the box office... And yet, why do I have three versions of it on DVD??? hmm....

Not only Children of Dune was made into a tv series, Dune as a tv series preceded it. Lots of purply, greeny and orange colors...

It's odd though. The directors in the past that tried to make Dune: Ridley Scott, Jodorowsky... Great stuff... And now: Berg??? hmm....

exanda kane
Bit of a let down isn't it. Casting might save it, but Sting was great in it and so was Dean Stockwell. But christ, imagine Ridley Scott remaking Dune. That'd be fantastic. What were the reasons for him not touching it? Too much Sci-Fi on his slate? Least we won't have Russel Crowe as Paul but that'd be a small comprimise.

MildPossession
Don't forget he directed the masterpiece The Rundown/Welcome to the Jungle also...

Mr Parker
Originally posted by exanda kane
A new version of Frank 'Erberts Dune is to be made. I for one loved the original film adaptation but I guess this will be worth seeing simply to see how it has done. No one mention Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes please. In fact, don't mention Tim Burton at all.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22209

There may already be a thread on this. Whoops if so.

LOL.great to see your smart enough to see that Tim Burton getting his grubby little hands on classic material is a horrible idea.He always screws up classic proven material.The one exception is Sweeney Todd.That movie was pretty loyal to the origianl source material which itself was real violent and grotesque.I knew THAT movie would be right up Burtons alley and he could not screw that one up.He's pretty perverted anyways and loves to be violent and grotesque in his films so like i said,I knew he couldnt screw up Sweeney Todd. big grin anyways how come you bring HIS name up here? Burton Im sure you agree,does his best stuff when its his own.

exanda kane
It's not actually much like the original tale. If you are fortunate enough to come across the TV film with Ray Winstone, then you can see how Burton's film is pretty unsatisfying across the board. Also, none of the Planet of the Apes films can really be considered good films or even good solid source material.

Sorry to invalidate your intuition but Tim Burton is bad, not at adapting source material in particular, but just all round.

Dune on the other is solid source material.

WrathfulDwarf
I'll take ANYONE except for these clowns.

Uwe Boll
Michael Bay
Wachowski's Bros.

Mr Parker
It's not actually much like the original tale. If you are fortunate enough to come across the TV film with Ray Winstone, then you can see how Burton's film is pretty unsatisfying across the board. Also, none of the Planet of the Apes films can really be considered good films or even good solid source material.

Sorry to invalidate your intuition but Tim Burton is bad, not at adapting source material in particular, but just all round.

Dune on the other is solid source material.
Disagree there.Most the time when he does his OWN stuff,his movies are pretty good.Edward Scissorhands,Ed Wood were pretty good.and Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my all time faves.

BruceSkywalker
I enjoyed all the Dune novels. McLachlan's Dune was ok. If they go and redo this then I hope its done right this time. I hope the books are followed better and the acting good.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Disagree there.Most the time when he does his OWN stuff,his movies are pretty good.Edward Scissorhands,Ed Wood were pretty good.and Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my all time faves.

Ah. I thought we would hit this snag. I have sufficient evidence that Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood and Nightmare Before Christmas are all the same movie, simply re-editied. No, I cannot show you this concrete evidence of course, but I assure you it's true.

Mr Parker
I dont doubt it.I wouldnt put ANYTHING past Tim Burton.

Myth
I bought the old movie a few years ago. Its still unopened. Never seen it.

Rogue Jedi
I watched it once when High, not bad.

Myth
Oops. I just checked the cover, and realized I don't even have the original. I have the William Hurt one. Worth watching?

Mark Question
Originally posted by Myth
Oops. I just checked the cover, and realized I don't even have the original. I have the William Hurt one. Worth watching?

Yeah, it was pretty good.

Rogue Jedi
anything with William Hurt is worth watching.

queeq
Originally posted by Myth
I bought the old movie a few years ago. Its still unopened. Never seen it.

Watch it. The vision behind it is extraordinary.

Schecter
FINALLY!!!!

i've been hoping for this for years.
i will be looking forward to this, and hoping they dont **** it up.

queeq
I hope and dread.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I watched it once when High, not bad.

I watched it like three times when High. Lynch's version. Loved it.

Robtard
Originally posted by Schecter
FINALLY!!!!

i've been hoping for this for years.
i will be looking forward to this, and hoping they dont **** it up.

Same... the director though, is already a nail in the coffin, imo.

ragesRemorse
didn't sci-fi make a dune miniseries, followed up by a dune children mini series?
I mean, sci-fi couldnt make a decent mini-series if they had free reign over hollywoods' studio's and all of George lucas' magic fairy dust. I think this movie warrants a new film adaptation, but i was just wondering if sci-fi created a dune miniseries. I just remember a children of dune...,which was balls.

=Tired Hiker=
I tried watching the sci-fi one, but the bad CG was just too annoying.

queeq
And the small sets and the annoying portrayal of a sulky Paul Atreides.

Mark Question
I thought the 1st Sci-fi series was pretty good. I did watch it in Iraq though, so it's hard to say. I'd also read "good house keeping," for entertainment.

queeq
Anything looks good in Iraq, I suppose. laughing out loud

TeenMovies1
Well, if it has Jason Bateman, even in an ill fated Michael Bluth cameo, I will enjoy it.

And yes, the Children of TV thing was pretty good. Kyle McLachlan was a great Paul Atreides though!

anything that starts Jason Bateman is top quality in my book : Teen Wolf, AD, Juno....oh I love Juno

moneyhoney
Dune is so darn good! I also heard that Tom Burton is making a new Alice in Wonderland. Sorry to say his name, but you made me think of this.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Mark Question
I thought the 1st Sci-fi series was pretty good. I did watch it in Iraq though, so it's hard to say. I'd also read "good house keeping," for entertainment.

You go all the way to Iraq to see movies, you crazy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.