Are MP3 and IPOD players taking over CDS?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Are MP3 AND ipod players taking over your CD collection ? Store tons of songs on your MP3 player no need for a CD ?

I think CD is dead

WrathfulDwarf
Yes, CD is fading out existance...moving to music forum...

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by coolmovies
Are MP3 AND ipod players taking over your CD collection ? Store tons of songs on your MP3 player no need for a CD ?

I think CD is dead
Duh.

Except for vidjagames.

jaden101
most digital music is highly compressed and loses alot of sound quality if you're playing your music through a high end system...so as long as there are high sound quality enthusiasts that benefit from some kind of format that doesn't invlove large amounts of compression that come from mp3 players then CD's...or at least super audio CD's will probably still remain...if somewhat in limited numbers

coolmovies
What will happen to HI FI'S Systems ?? will they die too ?

MildPossession
I hope CDs and Hi-Fis stay around forever. I like to have the CD, CD Case and whatever booklets come with it. Physical back up too, not just backed up on to computer...

Well records are still around and we see bands releasing record versions of their albums, so don't think CDs will vanish for a longggggggggg time.

Saying that, I still use a mp3 player mostly for it's a lot easier for me instead of playing around with the cds/cases.

Blue_Hefner
Yes.

MildPossession
No. stick out tongue

Smasandian
Hopefully, CD's are still part of the music industry. I like having the hard copy also.

But if they go away, well, what can you do?

Blue_Hefner
What's a CD?

MildPossession
What about people who are not computer people or don't want the internet or don't like to use their credit cards online and so on, very unfair.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by MildPossession
What about people who are not computer people or don't want the internet or don't like to use their credit cards online and so on, very unfair.

im sure, in the future, they will make programs even easier to operate.

I like the Cd aspect for exploration. Going to the local eXchange or used cd/dvd store is very much fun. I feel, almost as if im at a flea market, searching for that ONE piece of gold lol

Deathblow
I lost my almost High Fidelity-esque ''must have limited edition fold out CD'' attitude a while ago, round about the time when I got a really good soundsystem for my laptop which along with iTunes made my stereo system, and thus CDs, obsolete. I still like buying albums now and again, but it's only stuff I like a lot and feel the need to possess a physical copy of rather than downloaded mp3s. I've gone from four or five (CDs purchased) a month, to one or two every other month.

CaptainStoic
Originally posted by jaden101
most digital music is highly compressed and loses alot of sound quality if you're playing your music through a high end system...so as long as there are high sound quality enthusiasts that benefit from some kind of format that doesn't invlove large amounts of compression that come from mp3 players then CD's...or at least super audio CD's will probably still remain...if somewhat in limited numbers

thumb up

WrathfulDwarf
It's been a year since I last bought a CD. Now that I have my brand new laptop, I'll be getting my music store in my library and eventually get one of those MP3's that can store up to 3,000 songs. Two years from now, I doubt my music will be coming from a store.

Which reminds me...here in the States Tower Record was a very succesful music store (for many years) with lots of locations. They went out of business more than a year ago. It's clearly a sign of the times. CD sales are startin to decrease in the market. So, it's happening right before our eyes.

Tempe Brennan
Why the **** would anyone want to get digital downloads anyway? I prefer buying an album with a CD cover and that little booklet with the lyrics. I don't wish to have to download frigging songs from the bloody internet and pay for them. Whoever heard of paying for songs? Geez...most stores here don't even stock CD singles anymore, everyone just downloads them...

Pezmerga
I always buy albums.Even if I just put them on my Computer, I just like the fact that I own the damn album and I will always have it.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Tempe Brennan
Why the **** would anyone want to get digital downloads anyway? I prefer buying an album with a CD cover and that little booklet with the lyrics. I don't wish to have to download frigging songs from the bloody internet and pay for them. Whoever heard of paying for songs? Geez...most stores here don't even stock CD singles anymore, everyone just downloads them...

You can get the lyrics online....

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Pezmerga
I always buy albums.Even if I just put them on my Computer, I just like the fact that I own the damn album and I will always have it.

Quoted for truth, as they say.

-AC

shiv
Drinking fresh pressed Peach juice is not the same as holding the soft gold fruit in your hand and taking a bite out of it.

Lana

If you buy a CD you're still paying for songs.

And not all CD booklets have lyrics.

I buy CDs, and I buy digital downloads. I do like having the discs but in all honesty I have enough clutter as it is and really have no place to keep them, plus CDs are very easily damaged.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by shiv
Drinking fresh pressed Peach juice is not the same as holding the soft gold fruit in your hand and taking a bite out of it. Fruit forum.

Alpha Centauri
CDs aren't easily damaged or lost if you're even reasonably careful with them, really.

-AC

Lana
They are if the only way to guarantee they'll be where you put them is to lock them up somewhere and you have no means to do so stick out tongue

MildPossession
Hardly, I've still got cds from when they first came out, still working fine and dandy. Not EASILY damaged at all. Like Alpha said, if you look after them, it's fine.

Bardock42
Hardly, I've still got cds from when they first came out, still working fine and dandy. Not EASILY damaged at all. Like Alpha said, if you look after them, it's fine. Though they usually will lose their information over time. Obviously I don't mean aeons here. I do like owning the CD though, it makes me feel better though, probably for no reason, I really only use Mp3s made from the CDs nowadays.

shiv
CD Art, Pull out Posters and Linear Notes kick ass. CD's can survive software malfunctions tstick out tonguestick out tongue.

MildPossession
Well my cds from the late 80s are still going strong, so it will be sometime before the later cds go stick out tongue

Bardock42
Well my cds from the late 80s are still going strong, so it will be sometime before the later cds go stick out tongue

Yeah, they are a perfectly fine medium. Though, I'd back them up anyways. Better safe than losing music.

Lana
Hardly, I've still got cds from when they first came out, still working fine and dandy. Not EASILY damaged at all. Like Alpha said, if you look after them, it's fine.

Easily damaged as in it takes no effort to damage one. Just because you take care of your CDs doesn't mean that one scratch can't wreck it.

MildPossession
Well I have dropped, scratched(not deep, big ones, have to do something big for it to be a scratch like that...) a lot of cds and they still work fine, and I can only remember just one cd that was damaged.

You are just unlucky stick out tongue

Lana
I probably am, I'm the type that'll buy a brand new game and it'll have been the one in the shipment that came loose and got scratched up in a box stick out tongue

MildPossession
Ah, now that happens a lot to me with dvds through the post! ha

Alpha Centauri
Then it's not CDs, you idi-fool.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
Having a huge library of CDs was hip in my HS days.

Oh, those were the 90's. laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
Yeah.

Nowadays it's only stuff for the real cool kids. The fans, as they're called. We're TRULY hip.

-AC

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
CDs aren't easily damaged or lost if you're even reasonably careful with them, really.

-AC

I take good care of all my CD's. I'm rather proud of my collection, actually. I can't even fathom getting digital downloads, they don't interest me. I prefer the actual CD, and the case and the front cover etc. Much better. smile

WrathfulDwarf
So did I...then they started to pile up. Need room...

ragesRemorse
Well I have dropped, scratched(not deep, big ones, have to do something big for it to be a scratch like that...) a lot of cds and they still work fine, and I can only remember just one cd that was damaged.

You are just unlucky stick out tongue

yeah, the CD player also has alot to do with the ability to play damaged Cd's. I have Cd's that have been through Dante's 7th circle. They will work find on some cd players and not at all on others. I agree though, they Cd's fairly easy to take care of and can endure much punishment.

my only problem with Cd's is space. Cd's take up much space. I have sold most all of my cd's. I do regret it sometimes, but for the most part. Im happy to be free of more material possessions.

WrathfulDwarf
I understand people want to hang on to their CDs. I know many people during the 80s and 90s didn't want to let go of their cassettes.

Get with the times...I'm hip. cool

SkinWalker
I take good care of all my CD's. I'm rather proud of my collection, actually. I can't even fathom getting digital downloads, they don't interest me. I prefer the actual CD, and the case and the front cover etc. Much better. smile

Well, digital downloads are quite handy because would want to buy an album just for a song you like. I don't think anyone would. With a digital download, you wouldn't have to deal with that.

Also, what if the CD isn't available in your country. Or you possibly don't trust sites like amazon and stuff to get objects overseas. Despite that fact I don't use it, digital downloading is conveniant.

Alpha Centauri
Not trusting online stores such as Amazon is not a mark against CD purchase, it's YOUR issue. Amazon is factually 100% trustworthy.

-AC

MildPossession
Thanks to Amazon I was able to get a film score CD second hand that was hard to find anywhere else, lovely site smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.