Is the Mind just plain OVERRATED?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Mind over body...

Mind can conquer new horizons....

Mind can overcome anything....

Blah..blah..blah...

You die, the mind dies.....so much for the powers of the mind.

wink

Mindship
What else (do we know of) can build machines to calculate precise mathematical trajectories for sending other machines across billions of miles to take pictures of multiple celestial bodies over many years' time?

What else can assemble (as far as we know) a reasonable scenario regarding the birth of the Universe?

IMO, these, and other accomplishments, are pretty darn-tootin' amazing.

That mind dies? Eh. No one's perfect.

smokin'

Deja~vu
The mind is more than just a brain, an organ, or chemistry. It transcends the body, imo. I have a different view of what the mind is.

Ambiguity
IMO;
The mind controls more than just your thoughts, your motions, etc. It can control the world around you.
Example:
You're really thirsty, but your supervisor won't let you leave the cubicle for whatever reason. You think you have a bottle of water in a drawer in your desk, and when you open it, a bottle of water there is.

Though it obviously seems like simple coincedince, this is exactly what your mind is capable of: Believing something will happen, and it does.

Using the same example, and to show-imo-how complex the mind is, say you were there a week before, two dollars in hand infront of a vending machine. You think about it, and you purchase two waters instead of just one, just in case you want it tomorrow.
Could this be your mind seeing an event sub-conciously into the future, preparing you for what might happen?

All of this IMO, of course.

Lt. Valerian
And, we supposedly ONLY use a small part of it.

Quark_666
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Mind over body...

Blah..blah..blah...

wink Actually it's usually just under used.

For every person who thinks they can move things with their mind, there are dozens who don't think they can pass a basic high school chemistry class or something stupid like that.

Deja~vu
the Mind is only thought and so, where does thought come from?

Blue_Hefner

wink

Can you prove that?

Phantom Zone
Mind over body...

Blah..blah..blah...

wink

Possibly but eventually when we can download our brains into computers that wont be the case.

leonheartmm
depends on the individual an/or scenario. sumtimes the mind can do unbeleiveable miracles, sumtimes it cant do anything.

Schecter
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Can you prove that?

does someone really have to post a picture of a decomposing brain?

Mindship
Originally posted by Ambiguity
You're really thirsty, but your supervisor won't let you leave the cubicle for whatever reason. You think you have a bottle of water in a drawer in your desk, and when you open it, a bottle of water there is.

Along similar lines: the mind can bypass space and time. Eg...

- You're at work and someone asks you what's the color of your mother's eyes. Dear ol' mom is no where near you, so acquiring sensory input--looking--is not an option. But you can still give a reliable and valid answer by transcending distance and any intervening barriers via the awesome, underrated power of Memory. (Of course, having Memory means peek-a-boo is no longer amusing, but sacrifices must be made.)

- You're reading Socrates. Now you're not only privy to the Mind of another person, but someone who's been dead for thousands of years.

Darn tootin' amazing.

WrathfulDwarf
Well, one mind can dictate the thoughts of others....

....see Leaders (mind you I'm using a negative subject) *wink-wink*

So is there sucha thing as a strong mind vs. weak mind?

Mindship
Well, one mind can dictate the thoughts of others....

....see Leaders (mind you I'm using a negative subject) *wink-wink*

So is there sucha thing as a strong mind vs. weak mind?

H'm. Might this question be better worded if we substitute strong/weak will for strong/weak mind? In this context, I see Mind as an information storage/processing system, whereas Will would be the drive-to-action (as in, one dominating another).

In any event, I would answer, yes, though it should be footnoted that the "weaker" individual is still choosing to submit (even if they choose not to see it that way).

inimalist
"what is mind, doesn't matter; what is matter, never mind"

so, explain it for me, does my brain control my mind or my mind control my brain, thx guys!

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by inimalist
"what is mind, doesn't matter; what is matter, never mind"

so, explain it for me, does my brain control my mind or my mind control my brain, thx guys!

How about external things around you control both your mind and brain....hmm...

inimalist
How about external things around you control both your mind and brain....hmm...

Behaviorist! Tie him to the steak!

actually, I agree with you, and I apologize for spamming your thread

Deja~vu
Mind is both mental and matter. One physical one mental...Mental is beyond physical on a pragmatic level. Mind is beyond body.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by inimalist
Behaviorist! Tie him to the steak!

lulz!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
What else (do we know of) can build machines to calculate precise mathematical trajectories for sending other machines across billions of miles to take pictures of multiple celestial bodies over many years' time?

What else can assemble (as far as we know) a reasonable scenario regarding the birth of the Universe?

IMO, these, and other accomplishments, are pretty darn-tootin' amazing.

That mind dies? Eh. No one's perfect.

smokin'

Is "darn-tootin'" a scientific word? confused

Mindship
Originally posted by dadudemon
Is "darn-tootin'" a scientific word? confused
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/43/messages/289.html

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=darn+tootin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ0w_FE63uY

You asked. cool

SpearofDestiny
Not all minds are equal. Some minds are brilliant. Some minds have found cures and treatments for diseases, some minds have found the means to leave this planet, some minds have developed idealogies which put thousands at ease, and other minds have saved species from extinction.

However, other minds have spread suffering, other minds do not grow, other minds have developed idealogies which put thousands at conflict, and other minds have wiped out certain species from the face of the planet.

A body can do nothing without a mind, and it is most likely that a mind can do nothing without a body. However, when working together, the mind and body is capable of such wondor (or horror)

So no,the mind's actual potential it is not over rated. It simply is a matter of whose mind you are discussing.

superr
Is the mind overrated-by comparison with what?

DigiMark007
Originally posted by superr
Is the mind overrated-by comparison with what?

Stuff that's underrated. Duh!

lord xyz
Mind over body...

Blah..blah..blah...

wink That mind over matter is retarded. One guy is thinking he's lifting up a building, therefore he is. Yet, everyone else is paying to see him look like a delusional idiot.

FoxMeister
3% of our brains and what not.

Mindship
Generally speaking, here's what's overrated (please note: not saying
worthless, just overrated)...

Pop music
Professional sports
Movies
Any talentless celebrity (actually, worthless might be appropriate here)
CEOs
Stock market
Bottled water
Being thin
Fashion
New York City

...that'll do for now

inimalist
Originally posted by FoxMeister
3% of our brains and what not.

3% of our brain's what?

Deja~vu
We don't use our brains sufficiently. What is the other part doing. Is it perceiving something we are unaware of?

Atlantis001
Any value you give to things it is your mind who gives.

Value comes from mind. Worth comes from mind.

Any good thing in the world comes from the mind because good is a perception created by the mind.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Deja~vu
We don't use our brains sufficiently. What is the other part doing. Is it perceiving something we are unaware of?

No it's keeping your ****ing body alive.

inimalist

our brains are designed through use to be as efficent as possible. Each part has a VERY specific task that, if not used, will die off to create more room for more often used areas.

More than normal activation in a brain area is not associated with any sort of "spiritual state", but instead with epilepsy (unless you want to call the delusions associated with temporal lobe epilepsy spiritual).

If your motor cortex was "using 100% of its potential" (a term that means nothing in neuroscience) you would be violently spasming on the floor in a grand mal seizure.

Brain activation is based on task related cognitive prossesses. Any more or any less use is sub-optimal, meaning that if more of the brain was used at any time than normal, it would more likely be vrey negative than anything else (and unless prior existing medical conditions were preventing activation, it would never be beneficial).

superr
My mind does not seem to be overrated by others,- their loss

agphoenix
The mind is more than just a brain, an organ, or chemistry. It transcends the body, imo. I have a different view of what the mind is.
Agree...a lot.

Deja~vu
Thanks. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.