The Host or Cloverfield.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Between these two which one do you consider to be the one that is mostly base on "Horror".

(yes, both are monster movies, both are sci-fi, and both possess a sense of mystery with suspense)

Your thoughts.

I have a key word for all you after some posts.

BackFire
Neither one is pure horror.

That said, Cloverfield is much more intense and plausible, so it was the more frightening, I think.

steverules
Is host in english or is it English subs?

MildPossession
It's Korean, and hopefully you watch it with subtitles please.

I have yet to see Cloverfield, but I adore The Host, wonderful film.

ragesRemorse
I would say the host. Although, Cloverfield surprised...,that was one of the most fun times i had at the theaters since, grindehouse and...,the Host (lol) . Both, stand at the top of the monster movie list, but i was a bit more invested in the characters of the host. The host, like most asian films, also had that combination of every genre crammed into one movie. This is usually what turns me off from most asian cinema, but the host did a superb job in intertwining the humor with the drama, action and fantasy.

WrathfulDwarf
Both films have a Lovercraftian theme in them....under sea creatures that come out of the sea and terrorize humanity. But of course the mythos of sea creatures is much more older than Lovecraft. Yet, both films are illustrated in that sense of mystery...."what can be lying beneath the sea?"

Cool beans...

Endrict Nuul
As for "Horror" we neither were super shocking and gory etc...so to speak but The Host was more suspenseful. Clover Field was more entertaining.

Micheal_Myers
I really didnt see anything suspensful about The Host, nor did I really enjoy the film. I view Cloverfield as much closer to the horror genre, because their is more of a jump factor and a non happy ending...lol

MildPossession
Horror films don't have to be super shocking or gory.

Deano
both great movies. same themes but still very different.

steverules
Cloverfield....imo host sucked sad

=Tired Hiker=
I thought the Host was scarier. The scene in the beginning where all the people go to the edge of the water to see what is going on, and then they end up getting chased by the creature was more frightening alone than the entire Cloverfield movie.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I thought the Host was scarier. The scene in the beginning where all the people go to the edge of the water to see what is going on, and then they end up getting chased by the creature was more frightening alone than the entire Cloverfield movie.

yeah, that was a very vivid scene eh

vintageSW77
both films were fine yet ruined by dodgy cgi so realism goes out the window yet again

MildPossession
For The Host, the effects were rather good and brave, mostly all through daylight in The Host.

ragesRemorse
yeah, i thought the host had great effects. As mild pointed out, the effects were all designed around day time sequences, That was greatly appreciated by myself. It was nice to actually get to see the monster.
I thought Cloverfield was very well done too. Both movies allowed me to escape through out the duration. I was never caught up in arguing with myself about how poor the CGI was.

neither one could have been done any better with animatronics or men in suits lol

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by vintageSW77
both films were fine yet ruined by dodgy cgi so realism goes out the window yet again

I really disagree. Although I've not seen The Host, I thought the CGI in Cloverfield was great.

Look at I Am Legend for dodgy CGI and compare that to Cloverfield, although you shouldn't have to since Cloverfield was fine.

MildPossession
Ugh that totally ruined I am Legend for me. Now that IS dodgy.

Impediment
The Host, I say.

I finally watched Cloverfield and I just didn't like it. The Host was more fun and tense in certain parts.

jaden101
throw the cheese that was "deep rising" into the mix...just for a laugh

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by jaden101
throw the cheese that was "deep rising" into the mix...just for a laugh

Treat Williams is king laughing out loud

WrathfulDwarf
Do you guys think that the added footage to the DVD gives Cloverfield the edge over The Host?

moviebuff1084
Even though i have never seen The Host. Cloverfield was great the DVD is awesome. and i have seen clips and trailers for The Host and i don't see how it could be better.

MildPossession
Doesn't matter if it's better or not, it's still worth the watch.

moviebuff1084
Oh i know ill still watch it i was just saying it looks like cloverfield is gonna be the better one.

ladygrim
I'd never heard of the Host until reading this thread laughing out loud so i went out and bought it i liked it but i think i preferred the suspense of cloverfield big grin

McLovin
Originally posted by Impediment
The Host, I say.

I finally watched Cloverfield and I just didn't like it. The Host was more fun and tense in certain parts.

Agreed.

Cloverfield sucked, imo.

zslick
im going to agree with those who went to colverfield. Though i have not seen the host, cloverfield had you jumping up your seat and trying to guess the next scene also cant forget those little comedy punch lines! *you know who superman is?*

doomsday49
are yall serious? Cloverfield is nowhere near the quality of The Host, you bunch of corny fuccs!!

WrathfulDwarf
I'm starting to see why people didn't find Cloverfield to be such a good film.

Once you see this film a second time, you feel something was not right.

It's still a good monster movie.

BackFire
I liked it more during my second viewing.

I think it's an immensely impressive and effective film. One of the only monster films I've ever seen that was actually scary and intense, rather than cheesy and campy.

WrathfulDwarf
My reaction on my 2nd viewing

zslick
well come on nothings really that good on a screen tv compared to a theater screen!

AVERY GUERRA
That would be tough to choose, but yeah, "THE HOST" was a much more horror themed flick.

WrathfulDwarf
I think both films do a very good job of illustrate how far we could go to for saving the life of our love ones. For me Cloverfield had more of romantic theme whereas The Host is about family.

The message is pretty clear...No monster is going to stop us from saving our love ones. For this alone both films take the cake.

I will say this...There were some scenes in The host that really push it into the horror genre more than Cloverfield. In Cloverfield there are more jump scenes than in The host. I still like them both but for me The host gets it on the edge.

MildPossession
I didn't jump once through the whole of Cloverfield, not even when the monster looked like it had been blown to pieces and then suddenly came through the cloud of dust and hit their helicopter...

I enjoyed Cloverfield, but overall it had nothing on The Host for me.

THE HOST all the way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.