Blank votes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bentley
I have been doing some thinking about the white votes (not choosing any of the candidates rather than voting for one), and how they are something fundamentally important in a democracy. Voting no one in an election sends a message "we don't like the choices we are given" and sometimes such message is need to be sent.

The main problem about this blank votes is that they are counter culture, people who vote like that are usually regarded as radicals, and others simply believe that voting for "the lesser of two evils" is a better thing to do. I figured that this is because the current society consider this votes as "useless".

But why is there no effort to educate people and to explain them how a blank vote is a rightful expression of democracy? There should be campaigns to raise the importance of this practice so democracy is at their fullest, TV adds should stress that voting blank is better than "the lesser of two evils".

Note that this message is not linked to any political following and is put here to let ideas flow and ideologies meet, nothing more.

chithappens
Originally posted by Bentley

But why is there no effort to educate people and to explain them how a blank vote is a rightful expression of democracy? There should be campaigns to raise the importance of this practice so democracy is at their fullest, TV adds should stress that voting blank is better than "the lesser of two evils".

Note that this message is not linked to any political following and is put here to let ideas flow and ideologies meet, nothing more.

Because this psuedo-ideology can also be closely correlated to complete apathy or simple laziness.

Bentley
Not voting at all is laziness, voting blank is voting blank. Stressing the importance and place of a blank vote is fundamental for people to actually use it with in the right matter.

I don't see how this is more or less lazy or shows more apathy that other practices that are done nowadays.

Bardock42
Voting Blank doesn't really show in any statistics or anything, does it?

Bentley
Maybe not in the United States, obviously my thread supposes that blanks get counted.

chithappens
laughing

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Voting Blank doesn't really show in any statistics or anything, does it?

It should.

I think that if a majority of votes go to "none of the above", non of the candidates should get the job.

Who steps in their place, though? hmm

Never mind, that idea fails horribly.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
It should.

I think that if a majority of votes go to "none of the above", non of the candidates should get the job.

Who steps in their place, though? hmm

Never mind, that idea fails horribly. Actually, it's a good idea. No one steps into their place. We get an anarchist utopia. And everything is fine without any leaders.

dadudemon
Actually, it's a good idea. No one steps into their place. We get an anarchist utopia. And everything is fine without any leaders.

But our system of checks and balances falls apart if that happens. Our country would probably go into chaos. IMO, humans are too stupid and selfish for a Utopian anarchy, pure communism, or law of consecration to work.

Bardock42
But our system of checks and balances falls apart if that happens. Our country would probably go into chaos. IMO, humans are too stupid and selfish for a Utopian anarchy, pure communism, or law of consecration to work. I disagree. Though I can understand why our rulers would like us to believe that. I mean the whole ****ing Democracy thing is bullshit anyways, it's just a tool they use to pretend they have that right, similar through rule by blood or through God's choice in earlier times.

dadudemon
I disagree. Though I can understand why our rulers would like us to believe that. I mean the whole ****ing Democracy thing is bullshit anyways, it's just a tool they use to pretend they have that right, similar through rule by blood or through God's choice in earlier times.

Maybe you should test your idea on a much smaller and insignificant country that is similar to our own. The Philippines works on a bicameral legislature and I believe they have a judicial and executive "branch". They are very Christian over there too. As the Aussies say, give it a burl. Though that is not to be taken seriously, I would be interested in the results.

Bardock42
Maybe you should test your idea on a much smaller and insignificant country that is similar to our own. The Philippines works on a bicameral legislature and I believe they have a judicial and executive "branch". They are very Christian over there too. As the Aussies say, give it a burl. Thought that is not to be taken seriously, I would be interested in the results.

Ha, right. Well, obviously that's not a viable way into an anarchist society.

dadudemon
Ha, right. Well, obviously that's not a viable way into an anarchist society.

I'm not sure what you mean? I hate to make you type up two or three paragraphs to explain...but I honestly don't understand what you meant by that.

Bardock42
I'm not sure what you mean? I hate to make you type up two or three paragraphs to explain...but I honestly don't understand what you meant by that.

I meant that to create an anarchist society that might actually work you can't just make the country disappear. I thought that was half-jokingly what we were talking about?

dadudemon
I meant that to create an anarchist society that might actually work you can't just make the country disappear. I thought that was half-jokingly what we were talking about?

I thought you meant that you wouldn't be able to convert the Philippines into an anarchy (the good kind....not the chaotic-where everyone is flipped out and killing and robing-kind).

Bardock42
I thought you meant that you wouldn't be able to convert the Philippines into an anarchy (the good kind....not the chaotic-where everyone is flipped out and killing and robing-kind).

Which is probably true also. Contrary to popular belief, I do not hold any kind of power over the Phillippines and most governments don't like if you preach about their abolishment.

Bentley
There are several ways to solve the "nobody wins" situation, in your average republic, there are several powers that represent society already, and some are taken by elections. If people who vote blank win the election it means that the system fails, and thus new parties or ideologies should step in. In a decent system this should arrive only in times of crisis, it would not be a frequent ocurrence unless the mayority of the population is actually anarchist by nature, or the government plain sucks or its too unpopular.

My main point in throwing this argument to the table is that it falls into the needs of democracy, you see, if in a vote 20% of the people vote blank, but someone is elected with 30% -thus winning the election-, this sends a message of warning that the current system is at crisis and that parties and ideologies should be revisited.

chithappens
Even for the reasons i stated first, this is a flawed idea.

Someone in the limelight would also lobby hard for more blank votes. The newly appointed thinkers/parties would seem all "new-age" but do the same thing as the old Whigs (not literally the Whigs, but it just seemed funny to reference them since they no longer exist) and so on.

lil bitchiness
Just have a dictatorship and have it done with.

Many of us are used to living in a 'nanny state' already, where every other thing is forbidden or in process of being forbidden or is being talked about being forbidden.
You have a lot of CCTVs watching everything you do, and there are a lot of gutter press going around which simplifies every single thing to the most basic terms, which allows our politicians to be as incompetent as they like.

Grrr arrrg @ demawcracee!

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Just have a dictatorship and have it done with.

Many of us are used to living in a 'nanny state' already, where every other thing is forbidden or in process of being forbidden or is being talked about being forbidden.
You have a lot of CCTVs watching everything you do, and there are a lot of gutter press going around which simplifies every single thing to the most basic terms, which allows our politicians to be as incompetent as they like.

Grrr arrrg @ demawcracee! We already live in a dictatorship anyways. Though I disagree with the get it over with.

Bentley
Originally posted by chithappens

Someone in the limelight would also lobby hard for more blank votes. The newly appointed thinkers/parties would seem all "new-age" but do the same thing as the old Whigs (not literally the Whigs, but it just seemed funny to reference them since they no longer exist) and so on.

Democracy is a flawed idea anyways, the reasons you listen are still big bumps in current systems, so they have little grounds in dismissing new ideas. Your post is motivated by the laziness and apathy that you describe.

Also, this new parties being the same, how is this different from the CURRENT system? You have failed to point a single point of how is this worse than what currently exists, which is the whole point. There is no point in aiming for perfect as much as aiming for better.

Theoretically blank votes help to have little parties competing in big elections, is it fairer than the big parties suck the votes by media marketing than some people teaming up for having a shot at the government?

chithappens

Your post is motivated by the laziness and apathy that you describe.

Also, this new parties being the same, how is this different from the CURRENT system? You have failed to point a single point of how is this worse than what currently exists, which is the whole point. There is no point in aiming for perfect as much as aiming for better.

You just seem bitter because I don't agree with you. Democracy, as it is be used today, is extremely flawed. In theory, it could work but it assumes that each citizen is informed and each politician is working towards the goal of improving said nation-state.

Regardless of a minor tweak, we would reach the same result. You don't know what motivates me or what my mode of thinking is, so it would be wise of you to reserve such judgment ("laziness and apathy"wink until you are able to ask more specific questions about my opinion.

Theoretically blank votes help to have little parties competing in big elections, is it fairer than the big parties suck the votes by media marketing than some people teaming up for having a shot at the government?

And in application, C.R.E.A.M. (Cash Rules Everything Around Me) makes any smaller party unable to run a decent campaign anyway. Why do you think no politician is, at the time of them running for office, of the middle to lower economic class?

What you are saying is very cute in theory, but in application it is hard for any of this to hold up with a huge backing by the citizens of a nation. That was the problem @ the beginning and remains the biggest problem.

I also find it very odd that you chose to quote my post when others are calling what we have a dictatorship. Very odd indeed.

Bentley

dadudemon
Which is probably true also. Contrary to popular belief, I do not hold any kind of power over the Phillippines and most governments don't like if you preach about their abolishment.

Well, my suggestion was not very serious. Though, it would be nice to see something like this done in a Governed country similar to our own before we go to town on our own. I still think that it would fail horribly and the only thing that would convince me other wise is successes in similar environments. In other words, I don't believe your idea would work until I see it work...it seems to be too much of a gamble.

I still like the idea of a blank vote. Maybe campaigning should be much much shorter to allow for a re-vote IF the majority vote goes towards "none of the above".

Robtard (sorry to take your name in vain) seems to think all candidates available for the presidential election are not good enough for his vote. Do you think it would be fair that he has to chose a candidate that he doesn't really agree with?

chithappens

Shown in the fact that you did not provide your full opinion, instead just waited for me to ask questions. Laziness, another perfectly logical explanation for why you did not post your opinion and instead gave a two-liner.

It was a logical derivation of your behavior, meant to sound offensive but actually harmless in nature.

Dude, I'm on ****ing spring break. Cut me some slack.

Bentley
Sorry, enjoy the spring break! stick out tongue

Bardock42
Well, my suggestion was not very serious. Though, it would be nice to see something like this done in a Governed country similar to our own before we go to town on our own. I still think that it would fail horribly and the only thing that would convince me other wise is successes in similar environments. In other words, I don't believe your idea would work until I see it work...it seems to be too much of a gamble.

Lets just remember for the record that it wasn't my idea. But proceed.

Robtard (sorry to take your name in vain) seems to think all candidates available for the presidential election are not good enough for his vote. Do you think it would be fair that he has to chose a candidate that he doesn't really agree with?

Obviously not. But he can just not vote. Or vote for third parties. So that's at least not a problemI see more the problem in the whole establishment that justifies the opression of minorities and in your US system sometimes even majorities.

Fire
I have been doing some thinking about the white votes (not choosing any of the candidates rather than voting for one), and how they are something fundamentally important in a democracy. Voting no one in an election sends a message "we don't like the choices we are given" and sometimes such message is need to be sent.

The main problem about this blank votes is that they are counter culture, people who vote like that are usually regarded as radicals, and others simply believe that voting for "the lesser of two evils" is a better thing to do. I figured that this is because the current society consider this votes as "useless".

Ofcourse Blank Votes are important. They can provide politicians, and political scientists with useful info. Although it is a bit rough, not that much can be done with it. It has a more informative function in a country where voting is mandatory though.

There are several political scientists who study the phenomenon of blank voting.

dadudemon
Lets just remember for the record that it wasn't my idea. But proceed.

I didn't explain myself well enough. I am referring to your idea that pure anarchy would work in America IF a majority of votes were "none of the above" during the presidential election (that last part there was my scenario.)). I thought that it would send us into chaos and you said:

Actually, it's a good idea. No one steps into their place. We get an anarchist utopia. And everything is fine without any leaders.

Obviously not. But he can just not vote. Or vote for third parties. So that's at least not a problemI see more the problem in the whole establishment that justifies the opression of minorities and in your US system sometimes even majorities.

Right now, "not voting" is his only option...then people will call him a bad citizen and/or apathetic.

Bardock42
I didn't explain myself well enough. I am referring to your idea that pure anarchy would work in America IF a majority of votes were "none of the above" during the presidential election (that last part there was my scenario.)). I thought that it would send us into chaos and you said:

Yeah, I said that jokingly continuing your thought. But it wasn't my idea that the system should be abolished I just played along your joke.

Yeah, but as I said this option does exist. That people see that as being a bad citizen is just part of the bullshit pro democracy propaganda.

dadudemon
Yeah, but as I said this option does exist. That people see that as being a bad citizen is just part of the bullshit pro democracy propaganda.

hmm I see your point. But it WOULD help if you had the option to vote "none of the above". We would get better turnouts IF it encouraged more people to vote, imo. That is really what I want the "none of the above" option to do. It may get more people involved in politics.

Robtard
hmm I see your point. But it WOULD help if you had the option to vote "none of the above". We would get better turnouts IF it encouraged more people to vote, imo. That is really what I want the "none of the above" option to do. It may get more people involved in politics.

A "none of the above" vote would go nowhere, so it would be the same as people not voting, which is a current problem.

A better option would be a "need new electables", where if enough votes went into this slot, the current runners would have to drop out and a new batch of people would be needed. Though this is also a shit idea.

Bentley
Originally posted by Fire
Ofcourse Blank Votes are important. They can provide politicians, and political scientists with useful info. Although it is a bit rough, not that much can be done with it. It has a more informative function in a country where voting is mandatory though.

There are several political scientists who study the phenomenon of blank voting.

I think that encouraging blank voting as an expression of public discontent with an election would be practical for conceiving future decisions and ideologies.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
A "none of the above" vote would go nowhere, so it would be the same as people not voting, which is a current problem.

A better option would be a "need new electables", where if enough votes went into this slot, the current runners would have to drop out and a new batch of people would be needed. Though this is also a shit idea.

A "none of the above" is the same thing as "need new electables", "I am apathetic", or "I prefer anarchy". (And any other reason you can think of.)

We could over complicate that particular vote but it isn't necessary.

I suggested holding elections earlier in the year...enough time to have a reelection if a majority vote "none of the above"...and during this second election, a "none of the above" option is not listed. That is just adding an over complication to an already complicated election system, imo.

Robtard
A "none of the above" is the same thing as "need new electables", "I am apathetic", or "I prefer anarchy". (And any other reason you can think of.)

We could over complicate that particular vote but it isn't necessary.

I suggested holding elections earlier in the year...enough time to have a reelection if a majority vote "none of the above"...and during this second election, a "none of the above" option is not listed. That is just adding an over complication to an already complicated election system, imo.

What happens with repeated "none of the above" turnouts, theoretically, George Bush (or whomever) could stay in power far longer, if we had that option now and it kept beign the popular selection.

Devil King
People can vote for whomever they want. There is the option to write in any "candidate" or political opinion the voter wishes. These votes are counted, however a ballot cast for somone who is not running for the office will make no difference. Every presidential elction there are thousands of votes cast for Mickey Mouse. They're counted, but they don't go towards any meaningful expression.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
What happens with repeated "none of the above" turnouts, theoretically, George Bush (or whomever) could stay in power far longer, if we had that option now and it kept beign the popular selection.

No. They would vacate their position....business as usual. The first election held earlier in the year-under my proposition-would have an option of none of the above. If the majority vote went to "none of the above", another election would be held later that year and a "none of the above" would not be an option. None of the above could still be an option and the 2nd most voted for could be president/congressman...but I see no purpose for "none of the above" in the second election.

What would voting 'none of the above" in the virtually first election accomplish? confused confused confused

dadudemon
Originally posted by Devil King
People can vote for whomever they want. There is the option to write in any "candidate" or political opinion the voter wishes. These votes are counted, however a ballot cast for somone who is not running for the office will make no difference. Every presidential elction there are thousands of votes cast for Mickey Mouse. They're counted, but they don't go towards any meaningful expression.

Enter evidence for you statements:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/06/14/news/californian/15_01_13_06.txt

http://www2.beaufortgazette.com/blogs/post/15667

That's I shame that I didn't know that before. How could I have lived this life for so long and never heard of that. sad

Bardock42
No. They would vacate their position....business as usual. The first election held earlier in the year-under my proposition-would have an option of none of the above. If the majority vote went to "none of the above", another election would be held later that year and a "none of the above" would not be an option. None of the above could still be an option and the 2nd most voted for could be president/congressman...but I see no purpose for "none of the above" in the second election.

What would voting 'none of the above" in the virtually first election accomplish? confused confused confused The people in the second election might be even worse, so what's the point, really?

red g jacks

And in application, C.R.E.A.M. (Cash Rules Everything Around Me) makes any smaller party unable to run a decent campaign anyway. Why do you think no politician is, at the time of them running for office, of the middle to lower economic class?. props

dadudemon
The people in the second election might be even worse, so what's the point, really?

Just like I said before....no matter how hard I try to find a use for it, "the idea fails horribly".

chithappens
Agreed, I'm arguing about a theoretical application of democracy, even an informed citizen can do nothing in the current systems to prevent a party to go into power when his information points out that its bad for the state. I find the lack of option a partial democracy at best.

An "informed citizen" can do nothing. An "informed majority" can do much. But again, that's the problem in application. Which is why Devil King said this:

Devil King
Well, I don't know how informed a person is when they vote for Mickey Mouse. But, the fact remains that a person who is not running for the office, no matter how many votes he/she/it recieves, will not win an election.

Quark_666
Well, I don't know how informed a person is when they vote for Mickey Mouse. A whole lot more informed than the people who vote for real politicians.

Devil King
Perhaps

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.