Superman fans! Please Help.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Matt2886
Happy Dance hey every1, my name is matt and im from the arts institute in bournemouth uk, and for my dissertation i am writing about the iconography behind superman and how he has changed and how he is percieved.

im pretty much interested in any thing to do with superman including the language, the link to religion he has and was wondering what your views might be about any issues you feel are directly linked to his progression as a character and an icon(primarily in graphic form). after all the fans (you guys) are what has made superman such a success over the years.

i would be extremely grateful with any decent comments made,
thanks in advance.
Matt.

Matt2886
to simplify this a bit..

why do you think superman's character has changed so much over time?

cheers everyone.

Matt

Raoul
because men aren't the emotionless husk's they used to be... stick out tongue

ragesRemorse
superman has a religion?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Matt2886
to simplify this a bit..

why do you think superman's character has changed so much over time?

cheers everyone.

Matt

dont think he has changed all that much, His appearance has gone through many changes, but he is essentially the same ol boy scout. He wouldn't be Superman if he weren't. There have been several stories focusing around Superman losing his un shakable compassion, but he always reverts back to the perfect savior. I like Superman because he does the right thing when he could literally do anything. His greatest weakness is his sense of responsibility over humanity. He carries the weight of an alien world on his shoulders.
Kal el is superman, not clark kent. He is the only superhero where his alter ego
is not the hero.
People used to be able to relate to this, i still do, but society has matured in their entertainment. There is not much place left for the hero's which embody humanities most general fears, strengths and weaknesses. Super hero's today must be personal and ever deepening. Although, Superman is as complex a character as any other, most see him for his abilities rather than his overall constitution.

Matt2886
no, not that superman necessarily has a religion himself, but, the link that has been made to religion by the writers.
thanks a lot for your responses though guys.

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by Matt2886
Happy Dance hey every1, my name is matt and im from the arts institute in bournemouth uk, and for my dissertation i am writing about the iconography behind superman and how he has changed and how he is percieved.

im pretty much interested in any thing to do with superman including the language, the link to religion he has and was wondering what your views might be about any issues you feel are directly linked to his progression as a character and an icon(primarily in graphic form). after all the fans (you guys) are what has made superman such a success over the years.

i would be extremely grateful with any decent comments made,
thanks in advance.
Matt.

read The Kingdom and Kingdom Come. IMO those two are the best at showcasing Superman and the culture he brought with him.

Endless Mike
Golden Age Superman was actually much closer to the Punisher in how he dealt with criminals than he was later on. He would actively try to intimidate criminals and kill them more often.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.