New 35mpg CAFE Standard: Will work?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AngryManatee
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that it doesn't work very well at all. It pretty much says that the fleet average for all car manufacturers must be 35mpg. Translation: you can still have big SUVs and trucks, but you will also need to build little fuel efficient cars to offset their horrible fuel economy. The bill doesn't even state that customers have to buy any set number of the econoboxes for it to be considered a part of the fleet average. The car's on the roster, it gets great mileage, but few people buy it, unless they're self-conscious about the environment and feel they must do something to make it better. But hey! It's still on the roster, so it counts, regardless of how many people actually buy it! Whoooo!!!

The greenies will still buy their fuel sippers. The majority of the public will still buy their SUVs and Pickups that they don't need (over 52% of the vehicles on our roads today are SUVs and Pickups, wtf?!?!).

Personally, I think some better solutions would be to raise gas prices to $5-$6 dollars a gallon, or have large pick-ups get licensed as only for commercial use. But that's just me. What do you think of it?

Quiero Mota
What do you mean people don't need them? Trucks and SUV's have a purpose.

Schecter
they have a purpose but are rarely used for that purpose...purpose not being 'safety' which is bullshit anyway since trucks and suv's flip/roll far more frequently than cars. you dont need a pickup to commute to an office job or an suv because you might have to drive in the snow like 4 times a year.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Schecter
you dont need a pickup to commute to an office job or an suv because you might have to drive in the snow like 4 times a year.

You also can't haul lumber or tow with a fuel efficient Honda Civic, that's why some people own trucks.

Schecter
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
You also can't haul lumber or tow with a fuel efficient Honda Civic, that's why some people own trucks.

yes i thought i clearly implied that in my o.p.
the point was that most people driving pickups are not hauling lumber, dirt, tools, parts, or anything else which requires a flatbed. in fact most seem to have brand spankin new pickups without so much as a blemish on the bed, which seems pretty ghey and poser-ish to me

Bardock42
Oh well, bullshit laws in the name of the environment are still bullshit.

AngryManatee

Concerning the idea of pick-ups being commercialized, you could rent one from a Uhaul or something similar. Or you can buy one if your job requires it. Pick-ups and SUVs aren't a necessity for at least 98% (statistic pulled from my ass) of the people that own them.

Prime example: A guy living in a condo in the city, works at a law firm, but drives a Ford F-450 King Ranch edition.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Pick-ups and SUVs aren't a necessity for at least 98% (statistic pulled from my ass) of the people that own them.

That estimation is way too high.

And renting a U-Haul (which is really expensive) is a waste if you're just driving some lumber from the store to your house.

Schecter
i find myself wishing cancer on people with hummers

chithappens
Who the hell do you know hauling lumber?

Quiero Mota

I agree; they should've stayed in the military.

Bardock42
i find myself wishing cancer on people with hummers They are not very pretty. The cars...not the people.

The people too though.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by chithappens
Who the hell do you know hauling lumber?

People do it all the time; home projects and so on. Hardware stores sell them for a reason; there's a demand for it.

chillmeistergen
Someone seems to be suffering from semi colon-itis

Robtard
Personally, I think some better solutions would be to raise gas prices to $5-$6 dollars a gallon, or have large pick-ups get licensed as only for commercial use. But that's just me. What do you think of it?

Fuel will be $5.00 in the near future, so it's a moot point. But the price of fuel does directly translate to better mileage cars. If people can't afford to drive 12-15mpg 3 ton SUVs, the car manufacturers won't make them.

Licensing pickups for only certain duties is undemocratic, if some tool whats a Ford F250, just so he can lower it and put on 22's, as to look 'bling" while getting shitty mpg, then he should have the right to do so.

AngryManatee
People do it all the time; home projects and so on. Hardware stores sell them for a reason; there's a demand for it.

And all the big hardware/ appliance/ furniture stores give you the option of having the stuff shipped to you as well.

Bardock42
And all the big hardware/ appliance/ furniture stores give you the option of having the stuff shipped to you as well.

Yeah, you don't really have the "option" if you don't have a car that could transport it.

AngryManatee
Originally posted by Robtard

Licensing pickups for only certain duties is undemocratic, if some tool whats a Ford F250, just so he can lower it and put on 22's, as to look 'bling" while getting shitty mpg, then he should have the right to do so.

Luckily, we don't live in a democracy big grin

Bardock42
Luckily, we don't live in a democracy big grin You do kinda.

Though Robtard is wrong. It might very well be democratic. It's just not very free.

Robtard

I have to agree there, especially with the H2 & H3. The military hummer, does/can serve a purpose, but I don't thing a large number of the people who own them go wading through 5 feet of mud.

The H2 & H3 serve no purpose, besides the "look, I have a wannabe military vehicle". Sit inside either of those, they barely sit 4 people; yet they're some of the largest most fuel-sucking shitboxes on the road.

Schecter
bardock doesnt have to worry since in his country cars run on jew blood

jaden101

haha...i do love the 5lbs hammer quality of your humour

Bardock42
bardock doesnt have to worry since in his country cars run on jew blood Dude...we killed 6 million of those max.

That's 36 million liters max.

We ran out thirty years ago, moron.

Robtard
With a slight modification, your cars can be converted to run on gypsy, Black, Communist and mentally-handicapped blood. So you still have a surplus, Nazi.

Schecter
my car runs on gypsy tears. needless to say fuel is cheep

Bardock42
With a slight modification, your cars can be converted to run on gypsy, Black, Communist and mentally-handicapped blood. So you still have a surplus, Nazi. We are Germans. You think we didn't figure that out 10 years before your country even knew cars existed?

chillmeistergen
My car runs on tea.

AngryManatee
Iraqi oil

Bardock42
Iraqi oil Not yet. But if the US gets their shit together one of these days it might soon.

AngryManatee
Originally posted by Bardock42
Not yet. But if the US gets their shit together one of these days it might soon.

I know, I was being sarcastic. My uncle wrote that on the back of his car once and he got yelled at and flicked off a bunch. Funny as hell. He lives in San Fran.

What he wrote: My car runs on 100% Iraqi oil

jaden101
my car runs on bullshit from the conspiracy forum

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
my car runs on bullshit from the conspiracy forum

Now there's an alternative fuel source worth investigating.

dadudemon
I've thought about this topic quite a bit. It gets fairly boring in my cubicle waiting for a computer to break or a server to go down. (Our most of our applications are run on various flavors of a Unix NOS...I get paid to be available sometimes.)

There is no reason the majority of the fuel for our cars shouldn't be coming from other, less expensive, sources at this time.

I remember reading in Car and Driver back in the late 90s that a gallon of hydrogen fuel would cost a little more than $2. At that time, a gallon of gas cost a little more than a dollar a gallon. Because the cars running on hydrogen were more than twice as fuel efficient, it pretty much evened out or was a savings. What ever happened to that? Where are our hydrogen cars? I would be more than happy to pay $2.40 a gallon of hydrogen fuel in a car that gets 50-70 mpg! mad

What about improving the efficiency of solar technology? Haven't they been trying since the 1970s to hit the magic "80% efficiency"?

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1329/

here is a better article:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message498483/pg2

Looks like we have the "80%" but for some reason, they can't capture the electrons produced by this. Riiiiiiiiiight. roll eyes (sarcastic) Just think of how much revenue for major oil companies would be lost if the technology came to fruition.

With an 80% efficient solar technology, we could drive cars that are fully electrical and completely solar powered. You'd think that this would be all over the news and everyone all over the world would be working on employing this technology. No more coal-fired power plants. Even China could make great use of this new technology.

Making laws that require more fuel efficient cars is not the right answer.

Bardock42
Lets make this a more general answer. Originally posted by dadudemon

Making laws is not the right answer.

It also applies to basically all topics

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Lets make this a more general answer.

It also applies to basically all topics

Indeed. I like the way you think. thumb up

edit- Thinking about it more...I would have worded it "making new laws that restrict more rights is not the answer"...that would be more on topic...but your good point still stands.

RocasAtoll
Dadumenon, solar power is improbable now or in the near future. It takes too much room and too much sun to be truly effective.

dadudemon
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
Dadumenon, solar power is improbable now or in the near future. It takes too much room and too much sun to be truly effective.

Research why we were trying to reach the "80%" threshold and then get back to me. smile

Quark_666
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
Dadumenon, solar power is improbable now or in the near future. It takes too much room and too much sun to be truly effective. Are you kidding or are you just going off of some source clear back from 1997?

smoker4
My green method of transport

lolz

jaden101
hahaha..."leopard's fanny batter"...gold

KidRock
I like pissing off the whiny environmentalists..ergo I drive a gas guzzler.

dadudemon
Originally posted by KidRock

What if you could get just as much torque, just as much mileage from one "tank", and just as much internal space with an electric car. Would you buy one if it was the same price?

KidRock
Originally posted by dadudemon
What if you could get just as much torque, just as much mileage from one "tank", and just as much internal space with an electric car. Would you buy one if it was the same price?

Sure..if a BMW M5 had the exact same HP and Torque and was just as fast with a hybrid engine as it is with a pure gas engine and got better MPG and cost the same amount? why not?

I wont be driving around in a prius that goes 0-60 in 3 days though.

Blax_Hydralisk
Why?

What do you do that requires so much speed?

KidRock
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Why?

Nothing, I just find it fun..and it gets me places faster. Why do people keep their hair long when it would be much easier to take care of when its short?

dadudemon
Sure..if a BMW M5 had the exact same HP and Torque and was just as fast with a hybrid engine as it is with a pure gas engine and got better MPG and cost the same amount? why not?

I wont be driving around in a prius that goes 0-60 in 3 days though.

1. An electric car does not need as high of a HP rating as a gasoline engine in order to produce the same torque.http://www.electroauto.com/index.html

2. I would want my electric car to meet all of the standards I outlined in my post to you.

3. There are already electrics cars in production that outperform big names like Porsche.

http://www.teslamotors.com/ Oh hai there wittle interwebz. big grin

Schecter
kidrock pretending to be rich online.

you couldnt afford a gas guzzler, so dont worry about anyone taking offense.

btw how's county college going?

KidRock
kidrock pretending to be rich online.

you couldnt afford a gas guzzler, so dont worry about anyone taking offense.

btw how's county college going?

You live in New Jersey.

edit: I can afford your mom..shes a guzzler..ZINGGGGGGGGGgggggGGggggG

dadudemon
You live in New Jersey.

edit: I can afford your mom..shes a guzzler..ZINGGGGGGGGGgggggGGggggG

He does?

It's expensive there. Housing is WAAAAAAAAAY too much there.

KidRock
He does?

It's expensive there. Housing is WAAAAAAAAAY too much there.

Well chemical plants and garbage dumps have high value.

KidRock
1. An electric car does not need as high of a HP rating as a gasoline engine in order to produce the same torque.http://www.electroauto.com/index.html

2. I would want my electric car to meet all of the standards I outlined in my post to you.

3. There are already electrics cars in production that outperform big names like Porsche.

http://www.teslamotors.com/ Oh hai there wittle interwebz. big grin

The tesla roadster looks pretty good. If the thing doesnt prove to have more bugs then Schecters vag and I ever get the money I would look into it.

Robtard

This is why you're an American bad-ass. Personally, it's a retarded reason to throw money away. What do you drive?

Schecter
well, technically he doesnt 'drive' but rather sits in his rusted out 72 chevy pickup rested atop cinder blocks in front of his doublewide trailer going "vrooooooooom vrooooooom"

=Tired Hiker=
There are cars that can get over 7,000 mpg . . .

http://ecomodder.com/blog/2008/03/15/super-mileage-competition-nets-7148-mpg/

. . . and even high school students in Illinois designed a car for the Shell Eco-Marathon that gets nearly 1,700 mpg.

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/news/articles/REV07.htm

I'm sure this technology can be used to make a practical automobile for consumers, but that won't happen anytime soon with the major oil company's and their lobbyists manning the puppet strings of corporate America.

smoker4
This is why you're an American bad-ass. Personally, it's a retarded reason to throw money away. What do you drive?

He drives Miss Daisy

KidRock
well, technically he doesnt 'drive' but rather sits in his rusted out 72 chevy pickup rested atop cinder blocks in front of his doublewide trailer going "vrooooooooom vrooooooom"

Almost..except your moms the one making the vroom noises as she sits on top of me.

Devil King
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk

Brother, you kaint be an Umurican BADASS at 35 MPH!

Robtard
Oi, you didn't answer my question, KidRock. What high-horsepowered gas-guzzler do you drive? I'm genuinely curious.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.