Cool Characters! Crap Powers!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Entity
Who are some of the best characters in comics despite their having incredibly stupid, crappy or just about useless powers?

Now I don't mean people like Batman or Punisher that are powerless but still cool as hell. I mean people that have powers that you just think pretty much suck but makes it work for them or they become better in spite of them.

As for my choice I nominate Warren Kenneth Worthington III
This guy is awesome but lets face it. Thou it sounds cool and certaintly would be fun flying is really about one of the most pointless powers there is left on its one. I mean with nothing but that you'd now have the ability to NOT FALL and if your fast enough and in the right place at the right time catch people that are falling. WOW! roll eyes (sarcastic)

I believe Nathan Petrelli said it best on Heroes. " What am I? I can't... what am... What am I gonna do? I guess I could fly around and pull cats out of trees. How's that going to make a difference?"

Raoul
warren also has a kickass hf... erm

he's also a rarity: how many current x-men can fly? he does a decent job with what he has, and all power to him imo...

Cartesian Doubt
Firestorm;
Like the character concept very similar to Spiderman, but can basically do anything with his powers. It hardly makes for gripping stories, no wonder he cant hold down his own series.

Guy Gardner, Kyle Ryner, Hal Jordan;
Cool characters, but basically have a dues ex machina as a power. They may as well have wands. I know Geoff Johns is trying to turn them into the Jedi of the D.C. U but when your super power is basically a magic ring, its destined to fail.

Disappear
warren's also more-than-proportionately stronger than the strongest bird. several times his own weight, plus the strength in his wings. it was mentioned in the "hey, we're on genosha!" excalibur series.

Erik-Lensherr
Did you read his series before criticizing him ?

Lulz.

llagrok
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Firestorm;
Like the character concept very similar to Spiderman, but can basically do anything with his powers. It hardly makes for gripping stories, no wonder he cant hold down his own series.

Guy Gardner, Kyle Ryner, Hal Jordan;
Cool characters, but basically have a dues ex machina as a power. They may as well have wands. I know Geoff Johns is trying to turn them into the Jedi of the D.C. U but when your super power is basically a magic ring, its destined to fail.

Shit's hilarious.

Superherovandal
Stupid fool that guy is. Right now GL is like DC's best monthly series.

Symmetric Chaos
Firestorm . . . .very similar to Spiderman

thumb up

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Raoul
warren also has a kickass hf... erm

he's also a rarity: how many current x-men can fly? he does a decent job with what he has, and all power to him imo...

I liked Warren alot more when he was Archangel.

Blight
Rhino is so cool.... wait he has cool powers too.

Ha-Son
Originally posted by Blight
Rhino is so cool.... wait he has cool powers too.
Truth.

janus77
IronMan, he's basically C3-PO with a sex life.
the sex and booze makes him cool, the engineering and computer love makes him ... sad... but, I'm guessing, brings him a lot closer to his readership confused.

Ego, cool concept of Eternals, crappy power of being a big, vulnerable and slow ... planet no expression.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by janus77
IronMan, he's basically C3-PO with a sex life.
the sex and booze makes him cool, the engineering and computer love makes him ... sad... but, I'm guessing, brings him a lot closer to his readership :confused

I'm guessing there are more alcoholic Ironman readers than superhumanly intelligent paramilitary people.

janus77
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I'm guessing there are more alcoholic Ironman readers than superhumanly intelligent paramilitary people.
from some of the complaints I read about Civil War, I'd imagine IronMan's driven quite a few readers to drink.

personally it's the sex and the drink that I identify with yes
oh and the bank account.

Cartesian Doubt
thumb up

If you actually read between the lines a little, the direction in which they took the most recent Firestorm series is very similar to the Spiderman ethos, I.e. a Teenager learning the lesson of 'With Great Power, comes Great Reponsibility' . Sound familiar by any chance? Its funny how the reviews at Wizard and Newsrama could see that .... but you couldn't ? Oh yeah I forgot you only read comics to enjoy the pretty pictures. Don't mock people who have greater insight than yourself !

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by llagrok
Shit's hilarious.

Why is it hilarious ?, Is it because I am not conforming to the norms of society ? Are you here to mock me with the other thought police ?

Citizen V
Originally posted by Superherovandal
Stupid fool that guy is. Right now GL is like DC's best monthly series.

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Citizen V
Don't get ahead of yourself.

Leave the sheep to follow each other into Basra.

Cartesian Doubt
Subtlety obviously isn't Symmetric chaos's forte as the reaction to this lame joke clearly shows ....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=480383&pagenumber=2

Symmetric Chaos
If you actually read between the lines a little, the direction in which they took the most recent Firestorm series is very similar to the Spiderman ethos, I.e. a Teenager learning the lesson of 'With Great Power, comes Great Reponsibility' . Sound familiar by any chance? Its funny how the reviews at Wizard and Newsrama could see that .... but you couldn't ? Oh yeah I forgot you only read comics to enjoy the pretty pictures. Don't mock people who have greater insight than yourself !

I'm not mocking anything. If you somehow cannot see humor in the way I edited that quote you might need to take a step back from your comics for a moment.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I liked Warren alot more when he was Archangel.

I honestly believe that's what lead to the characters downfall. Trapped in a "Woe is me Apocalypse loop".
Hopefully Bru and Fraction can fix that. Warren should just be Angel.

SevenShackles
steppenwolf, i actually like him O_o but his powerset comes off as generic to me.

roughrider
Hard to think of some. A cool character with a useless, non-cool power?

There is Mr. Terrific. Being invisible to technology is more worthwhile for a villain, who wants to rob banks & such.

Then there's Jubilee...oh wait, crap character & powers.

Oh right, there's also Aquaman - oh no, crap again... stick out tongue

SevenShackles
Falcon.. wait he has no powers.. still, kinda lame.

Cartesian Doubt
Quite a few members of the Cueent J.S.A. have really crap powers, but are wicked characters. smile

SevenShackles
hourman.

Tetragrammaton
Superman

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by SevenShackles
hourman.

Yeah. Never quite got the point.

janus77
Originally posted by Tetragrammaton
Superman
Cool Powers, Crap Character. totally different thread yes.

Namor, arrogant sob really identify... but wtf with the fish-y powers sad.

Entity
Originally posted by Tetragrammaton
Superman Originally posted by janus77
Cool Powers, Crap Character. totally different thread yes.
Yea agreed but read Shazam, Sentry, Hyperion, Apollo, Supreme, Gladiator, or Majestic to fix that problem.

Pretty much in that order IMO

Tetragrammaton
Originally posted by Entity
Yea agreed but read Shazam, Sentry, Hyperion, Apollo, Supreme, Gladiator, or Majestic to fix that problem.

Pretty much in that order IMO
Sentry? Majestic last? Pass the pipe, broham.

Nataku8188
Damage has a badass powerset but he's a total pussy. It makes me sad.

willRules
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
I honestly believe that's what lead to the characters downfall. Trapped in a "Woe is me Apocalypse loop".
Hopefully Bru and Fraction can fix that. Warren should just be Angel.

Would you say that it's Angel's fall from grace?!!!! stick out tongue

DigiMark007
Originally posted by willRules
Would you say that it's Angel's fall from grace?!!!! stick out tongue

Warned.

no expression

willRules
laughing out loud

Zeitgeist
Medusa

Doctor-Alvis
Luke Cage.

I think he's kinda cool anyway.

manjaro
Originally posted by SevenShackles
Falcon.. wait he has no powers.. still, kinda lame.
ummm helloo????? dude can talk to birds and see thru there eyes...thats a cool power for when you know?...........you wanna see stuff thats far away...plus i love the way that when he and cap used to team up he used to speak proper english...but now that he's got a goatee he's down to that barbaric luke cage speak.....as a black guy this offends me so!!!!

Grimm22
Originally posted by manjaro
ummm helloo????? dude can talk to birds and see thru there eyes...thats a cool power for when you know?...........you wanna see stuff thats far away...plus i love the way that when he and cap used to team up he used to speak proper english...but now that he's got a goatee he's down to that barbaric luke cage speak.....as a black guy this offends me so!!!!

He seems to speak pretty normally in Captain America erm

And for cool characters with stupid powers, I have to go with Wasp. She's one of the founding avengers, and there has been a ton of character depth given to her over the years, and yet people still cannot get over the fact that her power is basically to be small and annoying.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Grimm22
He seems to speak pretty normally in Captain America erm

And for cool characters with stupid powers, I have to go with Wasp. She's one of the founding avengers, and there has been a ton of character depth given to her over the years, and yet people still cannot get over the fact that her power is basically to be small and annoying.

yes.... small and annoying.. like a wasp eek! atleast she lives up to her name.. ironman's suit of armor isnt really iron anymore now is it?

but yeah, her powers suck. but atleast in the ultimate series shes a hot asian eek!

psycho gundam
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I liked Warren alot more when he was Archangel. I second that.

maggot -(though he isn't all that cool)

martian manhunter -(dc must have thought superman didn't have enough powers so they made him)

iceman- (was cool(no pun intended) but now he is a god, FVCK that!)

Zeitgeist
In other news, who is Cartesian Doubt?

Seems just to be another holier-than-thou assclown deciding that the rest of the forum is below himself. Probably a sock. Or a name change. I thought Phantom Zone was some new douche until I checked. ermm

Just catching up since my leave.

Shieldbou
Compliments so Zentry for this awesome thread. Now I'm probably going to strike up a sandstorm of hate when I write this, but I feel it needs to be said. I dislike Wolverine simply because the contrast in his powers are too big. For instance, he's animal based, so I can accept his healing factor.. let's just quote wikipedia here.
A mutant, Wolverine possesses animal-keen senses, enhanced physical capabilities, and a healing factor that allows him to recover from virtually any wound. This healing ability enabled the supersoldier program Weapon X to bond the near indestructible metal alloy adamantium to his skeletal system. He is also a master of hand-to-hand combat and martial arts
Isn't that a bit much? I suppose the more popular they get, the more powers and strenghts the writers give to them, I think that's a bit unfair towards the more occult superheroes. Nontheless, Logan is a pretty awesome superhero but I think his powers are pretty overboard.
D: sorry.

Symmetric Chaos
Well his senses are okay but the HF is what usually pisses people off.

Zeitgeist
Originally posted by Shieldbou
A mutant, Wolverine possesses animal-keen senses, enhanced physical capabilities, and a healing factor that allows him to recover from virtually any wound. This healing ability enabled the supersoldier program Weapon X to bond the near indestructible metal alloy adamantium to his skeletal system. He is also a master of hand-to-hand combat and martial arts
Isn't that a bit much? I suppose the more popular they get, the more powers and strenghts the writers give to them, I think that's a bit unfair towards the more occult superheroes. Nontheless, Logan is a pretty awesome superhero but I think his powers are pretty overboard.
D: sorry. His senses are actually > animal sense, his physical capabilities are far beyond "enhanced", he's mastered quite a few weapons, has adamantium claws that can cut through most anything, until just recently he was immortal and had been reincarnated from the right hand of god, and he has the ability to grow more body hair than your average orangutan.

He's also Canadian.

Bad Ash231
Why does Wolverine need to be a master of hand-to-hand combat and martial arts again?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
Why does Wolverine need to be a master of hand-to-hand combat and martial arts again?

If you lived for that long wouldn't you pick up some fighting tricks? The same thing happened with VandalSavage IIRC.

Zeitgeist
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
Why does Wolverine need to be a master of hand-to-hand combat and martial arts again? He doesn't need to be.

He just is.

"Why does Green Arrow need to shoot arrows, again?"

Disappear
a more appropriate version of that question could be "why did green arrow train himself to be some ninja brawler?" he already had his niche, and his original m.o., but he went and learned more. same with logan, mostly. when introduced, ollie had his arrows and iimpeccable aim, and logan had his claws and some relentlessness about him. ollie got his trick arrows, wolverine got his healing factor. ollie didn't do much but become a batman archetype for years, with roy and connor and mia, and logan was revealed to be a ninja samurai budokai fighter and all this shit.

the only real difference is that we got to see all of this unfold for green arrow, while for wolverine we're made to accept that he was a samurai and fought with captain america in WWII and was also in the CIA's border-crossing mutant black ops team, and apparently had a kid with an indian broad, and all this other stuff that writers decide to throw in to his all-too-crowded past. some things seem like they were added for no reason, especially the hand-to-hand master of everything, because it's completely unnecessary to the character. he's a damage sponge, as referenced many times in the comics themselves. when was the last time he did more than try to gut all of his opponents, anyway? just seems like it needn't be there.

Zeitgeist
Logan being a master H2H fighrer was a part of the character long before some of those reveals, like Daken. If I recall correctly, he was punking Shang Chi before he even knew half of that stuff.

Anyways, I don't see how hand to hand fighting is entirely out of the realm of a brawler like Logan.

Spider-Man was given stingers and a bulletproof costume. Superman was given about two-dozen random abilities in addition to what he can already do, Captain America can see bullets in slow motion, etc. Popular characters are overpowered, but still popular for a reason.

Shieldbou
Well his senses are okay but the HF is what usually pisses people off.
Precisely, I just think they've built on his powers too much. Surely if they stop tweaking him he'd blend in a bit more? albeit, blend in a bit more with the X-men, because he's not exactly normal.

Premutos
Captain Boomerang I (Digger Harkness) - Crappy gimmick but cool personality.

Disappear
it's not entirely out of the realm, it's just a random thing to keep mentioning without really seeing. in the latest amazing spider-man, even, spidey points out that logan just takes hits again and again so he can "have an excuse" to be brutal/lethal. it's like, yeah his skill and whatnot are there, but it really wouldn't change the character if they weren't because he doesn't use/really need them. it seems like something that was added in to boost his "badass" factor, which has continued again and again with random powerups and feats and etcetera, and it's generally annoying.

i don't dislike wolverine, i just don't like a lot of the shit that's done with/to him by a lot of writers.

Bad Ash231
Daredevil.

Superpower - blindness. crackers

Superherovandal
Originally posted by Citizen V
Don't get ahead of yourself. Well it kinda is...All Star Superman is nowhere near monthly. and there isn't a monthly as good as GL. especially since the Sinestro Corp War. Its like the Captain America of DC in terms of consistent awesomeness.

Scoobless
Swift ... she's like the Authority's retarded cousin that their folks make them hang out with.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.