Out of date movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
There are old movies that you can watch again and again and you will never feel its old. There are some that do look out of date for example
Alien looks old also star wars (77) .

Some movies do give away there age

ScarletSpeed
what's your point?

jaden101
there are some that have aged well despite the effects...terminator 2 still looks amazing...hard to think that its 17 years old now

MildPossession
Alien doesn't look out of date, what are you on about. Saw that at the re release at the cinema, looked amazing.

Impediment
"Out of date" is all in the eye of the beholder, if you ask me.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by MildPossession
Alien doesn't look out of date, what are you on about. Saw that at the re release at the cinema, looked amazing.

Wolfie
Back to the Future, IMO, doesn't really show its age either, any of them.

SpecialPete
Agree about Back to the Future....I think I will be able to watch it in another 50 years.

Other movies I think don't look out of date are - Top Gun & Raiders of the Lost Ark, Platoon.
Most period type movies made approx 20 years ago still look ok.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by SpecialPete
Agree about Back to the Future....I think I will be able to watch it in another 50 years.

Other movies I think don't look out of date are - Top Gun & Raiders of the Lost Ark, Platoon.
Most period type movies made approx 20 years ago still look ok.

Why approximately 20 years ago? Top Gun, Raiders and Platoon are all older than approximately 20 years.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Wolfie
Back to the Future, IMO, doesn't really show its age either, any of them.

I was thinking the very same thing when I watched the first a few weeks ago.

vintageSW77
if you look at other films that came out in 77 id say Star Wars is pretty timeless due to its setting
sure the sideburns are a bit bushy but they have come back in fashion along with beards and the only thing that makes it feel "old" is well.......you got me there

i reckon there are a LOT of sci fi films set in the 70s,80s and 90s which look terribly dated
much more so than ANH supposidly does

exanda kane
Like Logan's Run.

Y'know, sorry get to get out me soapbox, but I have no problem with movies that seem "out of date," and I'm sure I am not the only one. "Timeless" is a nice hook for a film exec and it is true for some films that are just pure quality, but there is something to be gained by watching a film, like Logan's Run, that for all intensive purposes seems out of date. You get a look at what was happening at the time and I reckon that's fascinating.

Mr Parker
Logans Run may be outdated but not Star Wars.The special effects to Star Wars still measure up to the effects today which is whats really amazing about that movie since it was made back in the 70's.
Like vintage said,sure maybe the sideburns gave them that 70's look but like he said,they have come back in fashion so it doest feel old at all.

Neo_Version 7
Jurassic Park makes all CG-laden movies his b*tch.

Pulp Fiction somewhat has the never-old feeling despite it being over a decade old. If that was the aim, then bravo.

Darth Vicious
I was actually thinking about this the other day when "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was on tv. While its a classic and it really doesnt get old, its wayyyyy out dated. Gort needs a makeover ASAP.

AngryManatee
I just watched "They Live" a little while back. That movie never gets old!!!

jaden101
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Logans Run may be outdated but not Star Wars.The special effects to Star Wars still measure up to the effects today which is whats really amazing about that movie since it was made back in the 70's.
Like vintage said,sure maybe the sideburns gave them that 70's look but like he said,they have come back in fashion so it doest feel old at all.

people seem to be forgetting that the rereleases have been massively remastered with almost all the lightsabre and laser effects being completely redone and all the space battles being remastered and in some parts, i believe, even reshot then cut in in order to bring them up to date

if you have the dvd box set of the original trilogy then watch the unedited trailers and you'll see that starwars has dated quite considerably

jaden101
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
Jurassic Park makes all CG-laden movies his b*tch.

Pulp Fiction somewhat has the never-old feeling despite it being over a decade old. If that was the aim, then bravo.

yeah...i always thought that about pulp fiction...i think it was made so you didn't even know what decade it was meant to be set in

vintageSW77
Originally posted by jaden101
people seem to be forgetting that the rereleases have been massively remastered with almost all the lightsabre and laser effects being completely redone and all the space battles being remastered and in some parts, i believe, even reshot then cut in in order to bring them up to date

if you have the dvd box set of the original trilogy then watch the unedited trailers and you'll see that starwars has dated quite considerably

i was talking about the originals in their original form
give me a stop motion animation TaunTaun over yer CGI clonetroopers,Cloverfield monster,Hulk or Spiderman anyday
nothing ages a movie worse than poor CGI
i think the Luke on tauntaun shot is the only dated shot in the entire OT trilogy

i was prepared to give THE HULK a second chance but the CGI on show in the trailer means ill be giving the new one a miss
its almost a cgi backwards step
jeez i remember how i thought Lou Ferrigno looked phony
at least he had a prescence

and i like Logans Run just the way it is

jaden101
i definitely agree that bad cgi makes a film look bad...that's why films like "i am legend" will look terrible in years to come...hell..they look terrible in comparison to some films make 10 years ago

i saw fellowship of the ring today and the battle at the start when it shows sauron with the ring on...even that's beginning to look dated

another film that is beginning to look terrible is "independance day"

i watched total recall the other night and that's a mixed bag...some bits still look genuinely good and others look terrible but i think alot of the datedness of it is down to prop design (the taxis for example)

i think that the 5th element still looks reasonable with the exception of when the black guy changes into the alien...and the alien costumes in general look quite shit...but overall the film has a cartoonish feel that i dont think will date

Dusty
The Running Man

moneyhoney
I am Legend was a pice of crap. Am I the only one that thinks ever since they came out with 28 Days later all these jerks are now trying to copy the idea of zombie like people killing the planet off? It was the same with Armageddon. That came out and the next thing you knw, every movie is about the world coming to an end through naturual disaster.

jaden101
yeah...cause 28 days later was the 1st zombie movie ever...uuhhh

Bardock42
Originally posted by Dusty
The Running Man How?

vintageSW77
Originally posted by moneyhoney
I am Legend was a pice of crap. Am I the only one that thinks ever since they came out with 28 Days later all these jerks are now trying to copy the idea of zombie like people killing the planet off? It was the same with Armageddon. That came out and the next thing you knw, every movie is about the world coming to an end through naturual disaster.

its a good job Romero aint dead because hed rise from the grave for this comment

Micheal_Myers
Originally posted by moneyhoney

28 days later was far from the first Zombie movie. The modern Zombie movie formula was created by George A. Romero in Night of The Living Dead. And its been copied for about 50 years now. And I Am Legend is based on a book written way before the release of 28 Days Later. Your argument loses.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.