Wheres the god damn hockey?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
I searched the first three pages and could not find an NHL thread. Perhaps, i over looked it. I remember there being an NHL thread last year. Well, at any rate it is Playoff season once again. THe Penguins are currently playing the Rangers and a win over the Rangers would give them the division TItle.

What is your team? Which team is going to conquer who and how far is which team going to go?

Even though the Penguins Pwn all other teams, i am not confident that they will have the experience needed to make the cup. I think they will go very far and wouldnt be surprised if they did, infact go the distance. For the Eastern conference i would watch out for, the DEvils, PEns and Sens. As for the WEstern conference. As usual, THe empire (redwings) Ducks and SHarks.

Healing Artisan
good thread

my Kings are last in the league sad

great players on the team, horrible HORRIBLE management.

edit:

i'll be cheering for the Sharks, but i see Pen's taking it this year.

Admiral Akbar
Yeah, I can't seem to find the thread either. There was one for sure though I remember posting in it.

Although I'm not a fan of the Montreal Canadians I believe that team has it in them to make it to the Stanley Cup finals this year. Not sure about the Western Side.

Shadow_King
East - Montreal

West - Any of the 8 teams, but hoping avalanche make it.

ragesRemorse
Damn, and yet, again everyone is taking a Canadian team. I feel that the talent and skill level is well balanced through out each team this year. I am looking foward to some killer playoffs. I Really dont believe any ONE team is a safe bet.

DarkC
FLAMES FTW!

Shadow_King
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Damn, and yet, again everyone is taking a Canadian team. I feel that the talent and skill level is well balanced through out each team this year. I am looking foward to some killer playoffs. I Really dont believe any ONE team is a safe bet.

from the looks of it, only one canadian team will go far this year, flames or canucks might not even make it in the playoffs.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Shadow_King
from the looks of it, only one canadian team will go far this year, flames or canucks might not even make it in the playoffs.

Agreed, as a Sens fan I can tell you that they definitely won't be going far this year. You can count them out after the first matchup. The Canucks have a better chance of making the playoffs than the Flames and probably will make the playoffs.

Smasandian
If the Sens make the playoffs.

They have a good chance of not making it.

They have shit goaltending, shit defense, and 1 great line and no secondary scoring.

They're done.

Admiral Akbar
Yeah..I agree. The last three games for the Sens are against the Canadiens, Leafs, and Bruins. All of which have bested the Sens recently.

Edit- Now, it's down to just Leafs and Bruins. The Sens lost to Montreal(No suprise there) and almost always lose to the Bruins, so it's becoming more and more likely they won't make it to the playoffs. Pity, they play like shit and that's what they get. It all started after they traded Corvo and Eaves, which in my opinion was a stupid trade. Corvo is doing great on Hurricanes, as I thought he would, and so is Eaves.

Smasandian
Stared before that in my opinion.

Considering I live in Ottawa and read the paper daily, its quite funny to see how the columnists praise the Sens when then win and say, "well, they're getting back on track."

And then the next 5 games they lose, or barely win.

Doesn't anybody realize that the only time the Sens win is when Heatley scores 3 goals in a game?

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Smasandian
Stared before that in my opinion.

Considering I live in Ottawa and read the paper daily, its quite funny to see how the columnists praise the Sens when then win and say, "well, they're getting back on track."

And then the next 5 games they lose, or barely win.

Doesn't anybody realize that the only time the Sens win is when Heatley scores 3 goals in a game?

Yeah..and I said I agreed with you.

Haha...there must certainly be a problem with the team if they lost to Toronto, no offense Leaf fans.

It's not only Heatley. When the "First Line" fails to play well the team suffers.

Shadow_King
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
The Canucks have a better chance of making the playoffs than the Flames and probably will make the playoffs.

dont know about that after yesterday, with canucks losing to avs, flames beating oilers and preds coming from a three goal deficit to win the game in overtime, looks like preds has secured that 8th spot.

ragesRemorse
PENGUINS, clenched the atlantic division. All shall kneel before their greatness. It seems as though Fluery has finally hit his stride since returning from his injury. Although, he has always been a hot and cold goalie, he has really been stepping up for the Pens.

Admiral Akbar
dont know about that after yesterday, with canucks losing to avs, flames beating oilers and preds coming from a three goal deficit to win the game in overtime, looks like preds has secured that 8th spot.

Damn predators.

Smasandian
Yeah..and I said I agreed with you.

Haha...there must certainly be a problem with the team if they lost to Toronto, no offense Leaf fans.

It's not only Heatley. When the "First Line" fails to play well the team suffers.

Yeah,

I hate the Sens. Always did. I'm not a big hockey fan but I just dont like Sen fans. No offense, more of an generalization.

Heatley should of been in jail, or still in it. The capt is pretty good while Spezza, in my opinion, is the most overhyped and overpraised player in the league.

He doesnt play defense, he turns it over way too many times and he tries to be fancy all the time. He has skill and is a good player, but definitely not as good as people say he is.

Admiral Akbar
Right, you're entitled to your opinion. I of course like the Sens, but unlike you I have a valid reason.

I'm not very sure about Heatley's prior life. I do know he got in an accident and one of his Thrashers teammates died because of it, but I think the family of that player forgave Heatley and as a result he didn't go to jail. As for Spezza, I don't believe he is the most overhyped or overpraised player. He is not mentioned as much compared to people like Crosby, Kane, Ovechkin..ECT. Plus, you're from Ottawa, so that must have some kind of influence over your opinion.

He is a good player. He does get fancy which bugs me sometimes, but other times his fanciness pays off. Take the popular overtime goal against the Canadiens for instance.

Of course he doesn't play defense...that was a bit of a stupid point.

Shadow_King
i was wondering, why are the sens the only team to be riding the bike wnhe they do interviews after the game??

PENGUINS, clenched the atlantic division. All shall kneel before their greatness. It seems as though Fluery has finally hit his stride since returning from his injury. Although, he has always been a hot and cold goalie, he has really been stepping up for the Pens.

completely surprised me, i thought rangers would take it with the stacked team they had this year

Admiral Akbar
Could you elaborate on your first question?

Shadow_King
Could you elaborate on your first question?

well during there post match interview, the senators are usually riding the exercise bikes, i was just wondering why that was. no other team does that.

Smasandian
Right, you're entitled to your opinion. I of course like the Sens, but unlike you I have a valid reason.

I'm not very sure about Heatley's prior life. I do know he got in an accident and one of his Thrashers teammates died because of it, but I think the family of that player forgave Heatley and as a result he didn't go to jail. As for Spezza, I don't believe he is the most overhyped or overpraised player. He is not mentioned as much compared to people like Crosby, Kane, Ovechkin..ECT. Plus, you're from Ottawa, so that must have some kind of influence over your opinion.

He is a good player. He does get fancy which bugs me sometimes, but other times his fanciness pays off. Take the popular overtime goal against the Canadiens for instance.

Of course he doesn't play defense...that was a bit of a stupid point.

You go way over the speed limit in a fast car, reckless driving and wrap the car around a pole and then kill somebody in that car should be somebody who gets convicted for vehicle manslaughter. Doesnt matter if the person parents forgive him.

Also, yes, I think Spezza is overpraised and hyped. Everybody talks so good about him in Ottawa like he is the second coming for their team and has done nothing.

That popular overtime goal, yes, was a pretty good goal but 2-3 years ago and tries it everytime and loses the puck.

He is a good player but not elite.

And yes, a forward that plays defense. A very valid point. He strictly plays 1 way and doesnt help his defenceman when in the thier own end. Why do you think the coaches harp to him about it? Brian Murrey and Martin hated Spezza for his lack of defense.

Admiral Akbar
well during there post match interview, the senators are usually riding the exercise bikes, i was just wondering why that was. no other team does that.

It's probably a cooldown. Usually after rigorous excerise or running you stretch to keep the muscles from cramping or getting sore.

Admiral Akbar
You go way over the speed limit in a fast car, reckless driving and wrap the car around a pole and then kill somebody in that car should be somebody who gets convicted for vehicle manslaughter. Doesnt matter if the person parents forgive him.

Also, yes, I think Spezza is overpraised and hyped. Everybody talks so good about him in Ottawa like he is the second coming for their team and has done nothing.

That popular overtime goal, yes, was a pretty good goal but 2-3 years ago and tries it everytime and loses the puck.

He is a good player but not elite.

And yes, a forward that plays defense. A very valid point. He strictly plays 1 way and doesnt help his defenceman when in the thier own end. Why do you think the coaches harp to him about it? Brian Murrey and Martin hated Spezza for his lack of defense.

It's not like he intentionally meant for it to happen. He was under the influence of alchohol. Granted, it's still unacceptable for someone to drink and drive, but I think he was aware of that because he was ready to go to jail and he believed that he deserved to go to jail. You can't judge a person's character on one mistake.

Yeah there you go, that's what I thought. Your opinion is based on what other people in Ottawa say. Spezza is one of the greatest things that happened for Ottawa(Hockey)-Fact. So is Alfredsson and Heatley. And you can't say he does nothing when he registers enough points(goals and assists) to be in the top 10 in the NHL.

Of course he isn't elite. Don't let bias hockey fans in Ottawa leave you a negative imprint of Spezza.

Ok, fine. He isn't the greatest defensmen. That's why he's a foward. Not everyone has multiple skills, some people can play both very well, others can't. Many hockey players are like that.

Smasandian
He drank and drive and then killed somebody while doing it. If I did it, I would go to jail. It's manslaughter. Pure and simple.

He should be in jail, or atleast out of it.

Well, when I say overhyped and overrated wouldnt that direcly involve what people in Ottawa say and precisely my point?

You are aware that forward are required to play defense in the NHL? Right? The whole two way forward?

Admiral Akbar
If you did it, you "might" go to jail. It all depends on whether or not the family of the person who died objects with you going to jail. As is the case with Heatley.

I agree he should. But he is not, so no point continuing to argue this. He is a great hockey player. Let's leave it at that.

First of all, you said he the most overrated and overhyped in the NHL. Which is clearly not true. That's what I'm arguing.

Yes, I am aware, but that doesn't mean the person playing it has to be good at it. Some people are multi-skilled others lack skill in one area, but compensate in another.

Admiral Akbar
Alright, playoff time is here. This is how I think it's going to go down.

Canadiens vs. Bruins-
Canadiens will win. Bruins might be effective when playing against a team like the Sens, but against Montreal I think not. Plus, the Habs have been on a bit of a hot streak lately.

Capitals vs. Flyers-
I don't really know too much about these two, I would guess the Flyers would win. The Caps are a good team, but Ovechkin, their prize star can't do everything alone just like Crosby couldn't carry his team past the Sens last year.

Penguins vs. Senators-
This one is easier than the others. It must be because the Sens are my favorite team. I know them the best out of the 16 others and I conclude that they will lose against the Pens this year. Not only have they struggled throughout the second half of the season, but their captain and a few others are out with injuries. The Pens on the other hand are a winning team and have the momentum to push beyond the first round.

Devils vs. Rangers-
This one should be a good matchup. Both are close to one another in the standings and have recently played a game that went into overtime, but I were to choose I would say the Rangers would win. No reason really, both have experience, both are skilled, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

That's Part 1. I'm going to do the Western Conference another time.

Shadow_King
agree with you on all of them except cap vs flyers, think caps can beat them.

botankus
I've never admitted to being a hockey fan, but I do watch the playoffs when the Pens or Canes are playing. (when you're in the middle of a lifelong love affair with the NFL, there's not much room for other sports).

That being said, I do "cheer" for the Penguins and Hurricanes whenever they happen to be in the playoffs. Here's one thing I've always noted. I don't care how good these teams are, or if they're winning the Stanley Cup in '06, whatever...but it seems like every time they're on TV in a playoff game, the following graphics come up on the TV screen at some point:

" have gone 12:52 without a shot on goal"

or

"Shots on Goal, 2nd period: 18, 2"

Smasandian
Man, I think the NFL has some sort of invasive disease.

I used to watch hockey a bit, and when I was a kid I loved hearing and watching Lemieux play. I remember being in a bar in Sarnia with my dad and it was Lemieux return game against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I distinctly remember asking the bartender if I could watch the game and some guy in the corner asked why. I told him that it was Lemieux return game from retirement. They guy then says, "who gives a shit, he's over the hill and done, should stay retired." What happens next is Lemieux scores an assist in his first shift and then scores a goal minutes later. He ends up with 3 points in his first game back in a couple of years and then goes on to score 76 points in 43 games.

Anyways, once I really got into the NFL 5 years ago, I basically stop caring what happened in the NHL. I used to follow players like I do for football, but I just dont care anymore.

ragesRemorse
Man, I think the NFL has some sort of invasive disease.

I distinctly remember asking the bartender if I could watch the game and some guy in the corner asked why. I told him that it was Lemieux return game from retirement. They guy then says, "who gives a shit, he's over the hill and done, should stay retired." What happens next is Lemieux scores an assist in his first shift and then scores a goal minutes later. He ends up with 3 points in his first game back in a couple of years and then goes on to score 76 points in 43 games.

lol thats a great story. Lemieux is the god damn man. It is only a shame that his career was shortened by hodgkins. That man has done a lot for the the city of Pittsburgh and single handedly kept the Penguins in the city, numerous times.

Pens rocked the Sens in their last game 4-0. even though the score tells a story of domination, it was actually a very intense and close game up until the dwindling minutes of the third period. It was a great playoff game and the Sens actually played a much better game than i had anticipated. The Penguins penalty kill may have been responsible for the win here. They killed off two 5 on 3's and numerous other minor's. You all might just want to watch some of this series. I think it is going to be a sweep for the pens or strung out to 7 hard games

Smasandian
Yeah, it is.

Another funny thing was when after he scored the goal, the guy basically resigns and said something similiar to, "well **** me..l"

It was awesome.

I have a few good stories about him.

Another one was when he played in 2002-03. I was talking to a guy who adored hockey. We had numerous discussions about #66 and he basically said he was done also. Well, it turns out he was a torrid scoring spree in the first couple of weeks and ends up with 91 points in 67 games. It was hilarious when he basically said, "yeah, your right."

Something else similar happened during the Olympics in 2002. Friend of mine said he shouldnt even be on the team and during the game that night, he scores two goals to single handily beat Germany. Lastly, he does the crazy fake shot while the puck goes between his legs and Kariya puts it home.

If he wasnt injured all the time, he would easily of taken the scoring record.

botankus
lol thats a great story. Lemieux is the god damn man. It is only a shame that his career was shortened by hodgkins. That man has done a lot for the the city of Pittsburgh and single handedly kept the Penguins in the city, numerous times.

Pens rocked the Sens in their last game 4-0. even though the score tells a story of domination, it was actually a very intense and close game up until the dwindling minutes of the third period. It was a great playoff game and the Sens actually played a much better game than i had anticipated. The Penguins penalty kill may have been responsible for the win here. They killed off two 5 on 3's and numerous other minor's. You all might just want to watch some of this series. I think it is going to be a sweep for the pens or strung out to 7 hard games

Right on, they were a penalty killing machine last night. The Sens had a few chances in those 5-on-3's, of course, but not the usual barrage that one would expect from those opportunities. I think for about 10 minutes out of a 20 minute stretch, the Sens had a 1 or 2 man advantage, and basically it seemed like the Pens had them matched man-for-man.

Pens looked swift and confident. Sens looked nervous and unprepared.

Admiral Akbar

Nice of you to give the Sens a bit of credit, but we must have been watching different games because I thought the Sens sucked beyond belief. I didn't expect much from them, I knew they were struggling. With injuries and with the team as a whole. Last nights game was embarrasing to watch, honestly, they played so poorly I stopped watching after the second period. I don't think it's going to go to 7 games. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ragesRemorse
oh damn, The penguins just got finished embarrassing the Sens. Even though, the Sens fought the good fight and almost pulled out an upset. I noticed something. The Penguins just might be the team with the most hustle. When it comes to it, this team has legs, legs and drive. Although this penguin team holds only two superstars, the rest of the team is mediocre, but they play their god damn game and bust their asses doing it. A great in game quote from lang "the penguins came into this game expecting more from the senators, but it is the Penguins who came with the big game"
I cant say enough about this team, but they are by no means the best, i just think they are of the hardest playing. It could very easily be anyone's game at anytime when it comes to this young team, but i think their chemistry is something special.

ragesRemorse
Yeah, it is.

Another funny thing was when after he scored the goal, the guy basically resigns and said something similiar to, "well **** me..l"

It was awesome.

I have a few good stories about him.

Another one was when he played in 2002-03. I was talking to a guy who adored hockey. We had numerous discussions about #66 and he basically said he was done also. Well, it turns out he was a torrid scoring spree in the first couple of weeks and ends up with 91 points in 67 games. It was hilarious when he basically said, "yeah, your right."

Something else similar happened during the Olympics in 2002. Friend of mine said he shouldnt even be on the team and during the game that night, he scores two goals to single handily beat Germany. Lastly, he does the crazy fake shot while the puck goes between his legs and Kariya puts it home.

If he wasnt injured all the time, he would easily of taken the scoring record.

i can remember as a kid, always feeling safe when 66 was on the ice, the come back was never to far away.

Smasandian
oh damn, The penguins just got finished embarrassing the Sens. Even though, the Sens fought the good fight and almost pulled out an upset. I noticed something. The Penguins just might be the team with the most hustle. When it comes to it, this team has legs, legs and drive. Although this penguin team holds only two superstars, the rest of the team is mediocre, but they play their god damn game and bust their asses doing it. A great in game quote from lang "the penguins came into this game expecting more from the senators, but it is the Penguins who came with the big game"
I cant say enough about this team, but they are by no means the best, i just think they are of the hardest playing. It could very easily be anyone's game at anytime when it comes to this young team, but i think their chemistry is something special.

I say your giving the Penquins little less credit than they deserve.

Malkin and Crosby our great, but Roberts is old but is very useful when the playoffs come (just ask Sens fans when the Leafs had him), Malone is good, Hossa has all star talent. Sykora is good, while Staal will be great. I think they have a good team, not mediocre.

Admiral Akbar
A great in game quote from lang "the penguins came into this game expecting more from the senators, but it is the Penguins who came with the big game".

It wasn't hard to pull a win against a struggling team. They don't need to play hard to win at this point.

DanZeke25
Damn Flyers choked a lead, and that one goal was bullshit when the Ref didn't stop play when our guy got injured.

Admiral Akbar
I agree that was a bs play; they should have stopped. If they can stop plays after clean "vicious checks" then there should have been a stoppage in play after the blocked shot.

ragesRemorse
I say your giving the Penquins little less credit than they deserve.

Malkin and Crosby our great, but Roberts is old but is very useful when the playoffs come (just ask Sens fans when the Leafs had him), Malone is good, Hossa has all star talent. Sykora is good, while Staal will be great. I think they have a good team, not mediocre.

Oh, i wasnt trying to sell this team short. I believe their talent and skill makes them top competitors. I wouldnt say for certain that there is a team they could not best. Being young in skill definition though, i wouldnt say for certain that there is a team they could best...,if that makes any sense. I think Ruutu, Sykora, Whitney and talbot are all very good players. But...,i believe the chemistry has much to do with their performances. I wouldn't look for any of them in an all star game.
They seem to have great drive and hustle, but i think this is a team that plays well off of each other. Malkin and Crosby are those players that make everyone else around them better. Without the right chemistry i would say most of the players making up the Penguins lines are mediocre...,not poor by any means though. The team as whole, however, is definitely a force. I'm sure many of the players will grow into all stars from the experience gained from playing on this team.

Smasandian
Well, chemistry does help alot but I dont think thats the reason why there number 2. They do have a good team, a combination of skilled talent and hardworkers.

I look at the Sens who before were all skilled players, but not heart players but now, in a ironic sense, they have a couple skilled players and a ton of heart players (or bangers). I might call it the Maple Leaf Syndrome because the Sens got beat in the playoffs numerous times by the less skilled team, the Leafs.

That's why I never understood the decision to get Martin Lapointe for the Sens. They didnt need him. They have a ton of guys for that position. They needed someone like Hossa, or a skilled player that could play alongside Fisher, or the first line.

Admiral Akbar
Well, chemistry does help alot but I dont think thats the reason why there number 2. They do have a good team, a combination of skilled talent and hardworkers.

I look at the Sens who before were all skilled players, but not heart players but now, in a ironic sense, they have a couple skilled players and a ton of heart players (or bangers). I might call it the Maple Leaf Syndrome because the Sens got beat in the playoffs numerous times by the less skilled team, the Leafs.

That's why I never understood the decision to get Martin Lapointe for the Sens. They didnt need him. They have a ton of guys for that position. They needed someone like Hossa, or a skilled player that could play alongside Fisher, or the first line.

I agree. I like that Martin Lapointe is with the Sens now. I'm also a Blackhawks fan and I know his talents, but the team is better off with someone who can score or assist. While he's not the best player he's better Stillman and Commodore, in my opinion. He works much harder than those two and I think the Sens would have been better off with Corvo.

Smasandian
Well, I just dont think he was needed at all.

Ottawa has a bad history of trade deadline deals. They never work outside of Comrie of last year.

ragesRemorse
Incase you do not know how to use the internet here is the update

The Pittsburgh Penguins once again embarrassed the Ottawa Senators. For the first two periods it was a very close grudge match. Neither team had an identifiable edge over the other, but the Sens were certainly pouring it on the Pens. 18 seconds into period 3, Crosby scored to take away the momentum from then sens. 78 seconds later, Staal put it in. At this point the Sens were completely out of the game. They looked almost like heartbroken children skating around. The game ultimately ended with the score---pens, 4-1
(series 3-0 PENS)

i didnt see any of the minnesota/Colorado game, but i heard it too, was a very close game that ended with the Wild winning 3-2. My friend Tim reassures me that Colorado was playing stronger than the Wild, just lost to one to many errors
(series 2-1 WINGS)

I did get to see some of the Wings game. Although the score was 5-3 in the favor of the predators. This was probably the closest match played. The Wings failed to take advantage of several great opportunities, where the Wild capitalized on nearly every one of theirs. The game seemed to be well matched in man for man, but Hasek had a very poor night. I believe the shots in goal were 23 for the wings and 24 for the wild.

(2-1 WILD)

Shadow_King

The Pittsburgh Penguins once again embarrassed the Ottawa Senators. For the first two periods it was a very close grudge match. Neither team had an identifiable edge over the other, but the Sens were certainly pouring it on the Pens. 18 seconds into period 3, Crosby scored to take away the momentum from then sens. 78 seconds later, Staal put it in. At this point the Sens were completely out of the game. They looked almost like heartbroken children skating around. The game ultimately ended with the score---pens, 4-1
(series 3-0 PENS)

i didnt see any of the minnesota/Colorado game, but i heard it too, was a very close game that ended with the Wild winning 3-2. My friend Tim reassures me that Colorado was playing stronger than the Wild, just lost to one to many errors
(series 2-1 WINGS)

I did get to see some of the Wings game. Although the score was 5-3 in the favor of the predators. This was probably the closest match played. The Wings failed to take advantage of several great opportunities, where the Wild capitalized on nearly every one of theirs. The game seemed to be well matched in man for man, but Hasek had a very poor night. I believe the shots in goal were 23 for the wings and 24 for the wild.

(2-1 WILD)

this is where it all turns around in the red wings series, and preds pull an upset, and about the avs game, they did play stronger its just they fell apart during the third period as usual.

Smasandian

(series 3-0 PENS)

(series 2-1 WINGS)

(2-1 WILD)

Fluery is really coming onto his own and owing up to his number 1 pick.

DanZeke25
2-1 Flyers. w00t

Admiral Akbar
Yep, I knew the Flyers would win against the Caps. It's still early though, anything can happen.

Sens get eliminated! No suprise there. No need to say anything about that series. Pretty self-explanatory.

Preds make a comeback. If the home games go to the home teams then this can become an exciting series.

Wild and Avs have pretty much gone to overtime 3/4 times. The Avs need more out of thier top stars Hejduk, Forsberg, and Sakic. Likewise, the Wild need more out of their captain. The Avs trio can become very dangerous if they can get that chemistry flowing. Right now they look like the Sens trio.

Montreal and Boston series is a good one too; it's always close. I chose Montreal to win the cup, but I might need to change my mind about that, unless the Bruins have become a better team in the past couple of days.

Smasandian
I like how the media is blaming Ray Emery for the crappy season they had.

Admiral Akbar
haha!

The team had a crappy season because the team played like crap. It's as simple as that.

Smasandian
I know, but everything needs a scapegoat.

I can think that Emery created some tension after he came back but is really the reason for their shitty second half. ****, they were under .500 after they went 15.2.

I cant believe Murray is still going to be GM. He failed at finding a coach, and then bunged up firing Paddock, then failed to provide any sort of help for the team.

Admiral Akbar
The coach can only do so much the rest is up to the team.

Smasandian
I meant Murray as the GM. He was responsible for all the moves that were made last offseason and during the playoffs.

Admiral Akbar
The only mistake he made was signing Paddock as coach. Other than that you can't really point any fingers at the guy. Look how the Sens started the season. They were number 1 in the NHL, their third and fourth lines were scoring for them and the Sens trio were playing like they were supposed to.

Smasandian
So they started 15-2 under Paddock but went below 500 after that until they almost didnt make the playoffs, and got swept in thier own city.

Just because they started well doesnt mean the team is fine for next year.

You can point fingers because this team did start like that, and is pretty much the exact same team for the past couple of years outside of Comrie (who only came in the last quarter of last season).

I wouldnt say fire Murray but he's been worst than Muckler.

DanZeke25
3-1 Flyers. w00t

Smasandian
I'm glad the Pens won.

I kinda want to see them in action because I think Crosby and Malkin are just as entertaining to watch than Lumieux and Jagr.

Shadow_King
caps are two games closer now to be facing the pens, crosby vs ovechkin, cant wait.

DanZeke25
caps are two games closer now to be facing the pens, crosby vs ovechkin, cant wait.

Well you're going to have to, because it's not happening this year.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by DanZeke25

I wouldn't be too sure. Caps just won their last game.

Shadow_King

nhl might fix it, so it happens.

ragesRemorse

thumb up

those teams are good rivals. Malkin and Ovechkin have been forming into a great personal rivalry this year. I think seeing those two going at it in the playoffs would be brutal. I want to see the Pens evetually meet the wings or Devils though

ragesRemorse
Fluery is really coming onto his own and owing up to his number 1 pick.

oh yeah, for sure. Ive always been behind Fluery. I really dont think he is playing any better than he has been. I think he is just getting much more support from his team. When a goalie is consistently facing 40+ shots a game. Their save percentage is not going to be very strong. It was about mid season when the Pens lines were reworked that i beleive they found a good defensive groove which opened up the ice more for the wingers and the offense. I still dont feel very confident on their defense, but im generally confident that fluery will come through in a pinch.

Smasandian
Also, he had alot of shit with the team.

Any young goaltender who constantly went from minors to NHL level and then sent back to to financial reason can never get into a groove or get comfortable.

They should of kept him in the minors, or did what Montreal did and started him all the time.

But he's doing good. Also didnt help that he was probably flabbergasted when he let that puck in the WJHC gold medal game when it came off his own player into the net.

ragesRemorse
He was sent back to the minors? I dont remember that. I know he had a tough debut season in 05-06 and was shifted back and forth alot between t-bo. That is to be expected though with any first year goalie that is struggling. I believe the next season he played something like 70 games and won 40. I also remember that many of his recorded loses and wins were due to Goalie shuffling in mid game. I dont ever remember him being shipped back to the minors, when did that happen?

Smasandian
Yeah, he started in 03-04, then played during the lockout and then got brought back up then 05-06 got shipped back and forth between leagues so the Pens didnt have to pay any bonuses.

He also shared the goal with Caron and Thiubault (who was brought in for no apparent reason)

It's not a big problem but its not a good situation to put a rookie goaltender in. They should kept him in juniors, or let him learn in AHL instead of shipping him back and forth.

Look at what happened to Dan Blackburn and Andrew Raycroft. Burnt out in the first season or so from the pressure. Hopefully for Montreal sake, Carey Price isnt the same.

DigiMark007
Woo! Go Pens!

I'll be back when there's more to talk about with them.

ragesRemorse
Yeah, he started in 03-04, then played during the lockout and then got brought back up then 05-06 got shipped back and forth between leagues so the Pens didnt have to pay any bonuses.

He also shared the goal with Caron and Thiubault (who was brought in for no apparent reason)

It's not a big problem but its not a good situation to put a rookie goaltender in. They should kept him in juniors, or let him learn in AHL instead of shipping him back and forth.

Look at what happened to Dan Blackburn and Andrew Raycroft. Burnt out in the first season or so from the pressure. Hopefully for Montreal sake, Carey Price isnt the same.

oh ok, i vaguely remember the situation surrounding the lockout. I still don't remember him going to the minors in 05, but i do remember they were struggling to find a goalie to ride until they finally decided to stick with Fluery. I can only imagine what pressure would come from being shifted back and forth from the minors. Not only are you responsible for two separate teams, your performance is observed by two different teams. Price is aces

Smasandian
Yeah, thats basically what happened.

All because of money. (Granted the Pens were in the shit at that time)

I dont think he will ever be a Broduer type player but good-great.

You rarely see a goalie picked in the top 10 draft turn out to be great.

Shadow_King
well montreal are in, with a convincing win over boston, now they either face rangers or flyers, and it looks like a good chance for caps to take the series.

Admiral Akbar
I hope the flyers win. I'm going to be 100% on my bracket if they win.

ragesRemorse
well montreal are in, with a convincing win over boston, now they either face rangers or flyers, and it looks like a good chance for caps to take the series.

That Montreal game showcased some good hockey on Montreal's part.

Shadow_King
well it looks like caps are out, flyers are in, east semi finals are now

Pens vs Rangers

Habs vs Flyers

looks like habs and pens are in the finals of this conference

And it looks like sharks are about to finish off flames which means

Red wings vs Avs

Sharks vs Stars

cant wait to see the old rivalry of the avs and red wings renewed, havent faced each other since the 02 finals, hope its not a repeat though.

Smasandian
I wouldnt count out the Rangers quite yet.

Admiral Akbar
Niether would I, but the pens IMO should be able to take care of them.

Woohoo! I was 100% on my first round bracket. Let's see if I can do it again this round.

My Winners are:
Wings
Pens
Habs
Sharks

DanZeke25
LUPUL FTW! Ovechkin gone glad to see it.

Smasandian
Why?

DanZeke25
Why?

Flyers fan, LOL.

Shadow_King
you finished off a tough opponent just to face Montreal, this looks like its gonna be a 7 game series, with the Habs taking it in 7 games

Smasandian
Flyers fan, LOL.

I see.

Hopefully its just that because Ovechkin is actually a pretty good person.

DanZeke25
I see.

Hopefully its just that because Ovechkin is actually a pretty good person.

It is. wink

DanZeke25
A bad penalty call leads to OT. Nice. face-plain

DanZeke25
.....And they lose in OT. face-plain Ridiculous.

ragesRemorse
Niether would I, but the pens IMO should be able to take care of them.

Woohoo! I was 100% on my first round bracket. Let's see if I can do it again this round.

My Winners are:
Wings
Pens
Habs
Sharks

thumb up good job.

I'll go with those choices too.

That was a damn fine game, i didnt think the Habs would come back.

Admiral Akbar
Agreed, I almost got scared for a moment.

DanZeke25
thumb up good job.

I'll go with those choices too.

That was a damn fine game, i didnt think the Habs would come back.

They wouldn't have, if it wasn't for that retarded "kneeing penalty."

Nah, they still might have scored without the penalty, but that was clearly not a penalty.

ragesRemorse
They wouldn't have, if it wasn't for that retarded "kneeing penalty."

Nah, they still might have scored without the penalty, but that was clearly not a penalty.

Yeah, you're right, but that still does explain philly dropping the ball there. I hope Philly wins, i would like to see as many east coasters as possible, but those Canadians have some deep reserves. Their legs sometimes, seem to go on forever.

DanZeke25
Yeah, you're right, but that still does explain philly dropping the ball there. I hope Philly wins, i would like to see as many east coasters as possible, but those Canadians have some deep reserves. Their legs sometimes, seem to go on forever.

Yeah it was a bad break when Carter(i think) broke his stick so the puck went right to Kovalev. But OT was just bad. There was no reason for them to lose that quickly.

ragesRemorse
PENS WIN!!! 5-4 after coming back from a 3-0eficit wow...,just wow. That was, perhaps one of the greatest games i have ever seen. ABSOLUTELY BAD ASS!!!! that was some intense hockey. What the fuk is up those announcers though they are the most boring useless announcers. The game is tied 4-4 and he says its been a whacky game...WHACKY? out of all the god damn hockey adjectives to describe an intense hockey game you choose WHACKY? Also, one dude was rippin on the fans dressing in white shirts, being the same color of the rangers. Damn, dude is such a prick. He has a hard on for the rangers. Every half witted hockey fan knows that the Pens home colors used to be white and the white out night is a tradition they havent turned black. pisses me off, where's staggy and lang?

Smasandian
Well, it was kinda of whacky.

Alot of wierd goals and tip ins. It was somewhat strange.

I've seen better games, but it was damn good.

ragesRemorse
I guess, but those teams were going to net hard on one another and when you go that hard you are going to get those bounces eh. I'm just biased though, as a pens fan the only thing i could ask for, more than that game, is for that game to be game 7 in the cup finals. I think the goals were all well earned, i was calling bullshit when they tried to review that goal for the Habs, that was just poor reflexes on fluery's part.

Admiral Akbar
PENS WIN!!! 5-4 after coming back from a 3-0eficit wow...,just wow. That was, perhaps one of the greatest games i have ever seen. ABSOLUTELY BAD ASS!!!! that was some intense hockey. What the fuk is up those announcers though they are the most boring useless announcers. The game is tied 4-4 and he says its been a whacky game...WHACKY? out of all the god damn hockey adjectives to describe an intense hockey game you choose WHACKY? Also, one dude was rippin on the fans dressing in white shirts, being the same color of the rangers. Damn, dude is such a prick. He has a hard on for the rangers. Every half witted hockey fan knows that the Pens home colors used to be white and the white out night is a tradition they havent turned black. pisses me off, where's staggy and lang?

Of course it was, it's because you're a Pens fan. From a non-bias position I think the game was filled with intense moments and just shows how far a simple momentum boost can get you. I agree the commentators were idiots. I look foward to watching the next game, but like I predicted the Pens will win the next one too. They have dominated the Rangers all season I don't see how the playoffs will change that.

Smasandian
I guess, but those teams were going to net hard on one another and when you go that hard you are going to get those bounces eh. I'm just biased though, as a pens fan the only thing i could ask for, more than that game, is for that game to be game 7 in the cup finals. I think the goals were all well earned, i was calling bullshit when they tried to review that goal for the Habs, that was just poor reflexes on fluery's part.

Well the first wasnt his fault, it was knocked in by his own player.

The Avery goal was clearly blocked. He should of had it but well, it was screened by his own player.

He didnt get much help from his team.

But he made the key save at the end.

Admiral Akbar
So...

Can you believe Dallas won both games so far agains the Sharks? I'm shocked. I might actually turn out to be wrong.

Shadow_King
ya, it is very shocking, the tsn guys are saying ron wilson is actually blaming specific players in front of the whole team, thats some bad coaching, and i am also shocked the avs are doing so bad against the red wings.

Admiral Akbar
Yeah, Ron doesn't seem like a nice guy, but his strategy might work. As for the Avs I'm not suprised really. The Avs were on par with the Wild during the first round of the playoffs and both played similar. The Wild also lose pretty much every encounter with the Wings, badly.

Shadow_King
this has nothing to do with the nhl but its still hockey,Who thinks canada is gonna go for a sweep in the iihf world championship??

Admiral Akbar
I also thought the Montreal Canadiens were going to handle the Flyers with relative ease, but I can see a 7 game series shaping up between these two.

DanZeke25
2-1 Flyers w00t

Shadow_King
ya, very shocking.

Shadow_King
well this is quite unpredictable, the flyers now up 3-1 in the series. looks like could be a Pennsylvanian eastern final.

ragesRemorse
well this is quite unpredictable, the flyers now up 3-1 in the series. looks like could be a Pennsylvanian eastern final.

That would be the badassness.

I am quite surprised with the performance of the Penguins and Flyers, Flyers especially. I knew the Penguins were good, but after seeing them stone wall a much more aggressive and disciplined Rangers team in game 3. I am not sure if there is nothing this Penguins team can't do. The Penguins had gotten some lucky bounces in the first two games against the Rangers, but the Rangers have been getting just as many. After the Pens exerted themselves during that 5 on 3 PK in period 3 i thought the Rangers were going to Rally back. They certainly controlled the momentum until they suffered an unnecessary penalty. Of which the the Pens capitalized on. I have never seen the Penguins special lines perform this well. Their PK is unstoppable. I'm sure most of you know the shots of that game, 39-17 in favor of the Rangers. The Penguin players must have blocked at least 20 or so shots though. I have only been watching the Wings and Pens series, but i havent seen a team with the Hussle that the pens play with, in a long time.

Admiral Akbar
It might come down to a Pens vs Flyers series. I wouldn't be suprised if the Flyers took that series too. They have been full of suprises lately.

DanZeke25
3-1 Flyers. w00t

Admiral Akbar
Yes, you must be one happy person.

DigiMark007
That would be the badassness.

I am quite surprised with the performance of the Penguins and Flyers, Flyers especially. I knew the Penguins were good, but after seeing them stone wall a much more aggressive and disciplined Rangers team in game 3. I am not sure if there is nothing this Penguins team can't do. The Penguins had gotten some lucky bounces in the first two games against the Rangers, but the Rangers have been getting just as many. After the Pens exerted themselves during that 5 on 3 PK in period 3 i thought the Rangers were going to Rally back. They certainly controlled the momentum until they suffered an unnecessary penalty. Of which the the Pens capitalized on. I have never seen the Penguins special lines perform this well. Their PK is unstoppable. I'm sure most of you know the shots of that game, 39-17 in favor of the Rangers. The Penguin players must have blocked at least 20 or so shots though. I have only been watching the Wings and Pens series, but i havent seen a team with the Hussle that the pens play with, in a long time.

The Pens got a bit lucky in Game 3. When you get out-shot 39-16 you're not supposed to win regardless of how well you play otherwise. It seems to be an issue for them on the road, so I'm a bit worried about upcoming series.

Still, this series is basically over, and I feel like the Penguins have more raw talent than any team in hockey. Sid/Malkin is as good a 1-2 punch as there has been in hockey since, hell, probably since Jagr/Lemieux. And like you said they've been playing with a lot of heart.

Smasandian
All that matters is how goals is scored.

I never get why people get all bothered about how many shots were taken. (This is more of criticism about overall hockey pundits then yourself).

I've seen games where some team takes twice as many shots as their the other team but they were all shit shots from far away.

The Pens score when they need to score.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by DigiMark007
The Pens got a bit lucky in Game 3. When you get out-shot 39-16 you're not supposed to win regardless of how well you play otherwise.

I used to think that too, until i noticed that in Hockey, its hard to read a game by looking at the stats. It is actually a commone thing in Hockey for teams to win a game and being overwhelmingly out shot. I know the PEns have have had many victories this year where they were out shot 3-1

As far as the pens getting lucky in game 3. I highly disagree. Fluery was a machine. There may have been a few crossbar ricochets, but the majority of the blocked shots came from a solid performance. The players themselves blocked an additional 20 shots. The Pens have definitely gotten some lucky bounces, but when you hit the net with the Hustle that they generate, you are going to get lucky bounces. The Rangers themselves have had plenty of luck in this series too. They have just not had the ability to capitalize on their chances.

As for this last game. I believe it was the Penalties that won the game. I do not want to take away from the Rangers performance. They did play well, but no better than they have in any other game in this series. I feel the Rangers actually played stronger in game 3. The Penguins had 22 minutes worth of penalties, excluding the misconducts. I'm not sure if the Ref's were being more strict, but either way, there is no excuse for that lack of discipline. although, i do not believe the Rangers scored any PP goals, it is hard to create pressure on a team when you are pr-occupied killing penalties

And for fuk sake, these announcers piss me off. Near the end of the game one of the casters said, OH MY, "The Rangers are right back in this series...,The Pens are now going to have a rough road in finishing these Rangers off"--WTF,

ragesRemorse
jesus christ, it looks the Redwings have a message they want EVERYONE to hear...7-1 so far

Shadow_King
jesus christ, it looks the Redwings have a message they want EVERYONE to hear...7-1 so far

Yep, horrible but atleast it wasent a 7-0 shutout like last time, laughing .

Dr. Leg Lock
what a game!

really want to see Wings vs Sharks in the finals but i dont see it hapepning.

Admiral Akbar
Oh my gosh..the Wings game was an embarrassment.

Admiral Akbar
I used to think that too, until i noticed that in Hockey, its hard to read a game by looking at the stats. It is actually a commone thing in Hockey for teams to win a game and being overwhelmingly out shot. I know the PEns have have had many victories this year where they were out shot 3-1

As far as the pens getting lucky in game 3. I highly disagree. Fluery was a machine. There may have been a few crossbar ricochets, but the majority of the blocked shots came from a solid performance. The players themselves blocked an additional 20 shots. The Pens have definitely gotten some lucky bounces, but when you hit the net with the Hustle that they generate, you are going to get lucky bounces. The Rangers themselves have had plenty of luck in this series too. They have just not had the ability to capitalize on their chances.

As for this last game. I believe it was the Penalties that won the game. I do not want to take away from the Rangers performance. They did play well, but no better than they have in any other game in this series. I feel the Rangers actually played stronger in game 3. The Penguins had 22 minutes worth of penalties, excluding the misconducts. I'm not sure if the Ref's were being more strict, but either way, there is no excuse for that lack of discipline. although, i do not believe the Rangers scored any PP goals, it is hard to create pressure on a team when you are pr-occupied killing penalties

And for fuk sake, these announcers piss me off. Near the end of the game one of the casters said, OH MY, "The Rangers are right back in this series...,The Pens are now going to have a rough road in finishing these Rangers off"--WTF,

lol at the announcers. I firmly believe the Pens threw that game probably because they want a victory at home in front of the fans. I'm %100 sure the Pens will dominate the next game and win.

Smasandian
Nah, I dont think thats the case.

Just great goaltending from the Rangers goalie.

Crosby played like shit though. Doesnt realize that every cross ice pass doesnt work..yesh..

Admiral Akbar
Yeah, In general the whole team played rather poorly compared to their last games.

DigiMark007
Yeah, you don't lose series when you're up 3-0. It's possible, but so unlikely as to be a moot point. Until I see them pull it to 3-3, I'm not concerned. I hope the Flyers close out their series. They're playing well, but the Pens would have home ice. For whatever reason they play decidedly better at the Igloo, and I'd like to have 4 games there if possible.

Dr. Leg Lock
game 5 for flyers/canadians is great so far. hopefully we get to see a game 7 between the two teams.

Shadow_King
ya real intense game, 4-4, i can not believe Canadiens blew a 3-1 lead against the flyers.

DanZeke25
Flyers FTW! w00t

ragesRemorse
rest in peace Montreal

i am very surprised with philly's performance. I was not expecting them to dominate the canadians the way they did. I thought for sure if they met the Pens it would be a one sided series in way of the Pen's, but im not so sure now.

Dr. Leg Lock
WHAT A GAME!!!

was not expecting that. phenomenal performance by the Flyers.

ragesRemorse
It's going to be the Penguins and Flyers, the battle of pennsylvania. The Penguins scored a 2-0 lead in the second period but quickly lost that when the Rangers tallied two goals in the early third period. The Pens ultimately won in over time 3-2 to take the series 4-1.

I am actually surprised that the Penguins won this game. Although, i believe the Rangers were heavily outgunned in nearly all departments. The Rangers were playing more disciplined Hockey over the last two games. Infact, The Penguins played some of their worst Hockey over these last two games. Mounting 14 penalties in game 4. I credit Fluery for being the only reason why the score was left at only 2-0 in that game. This last game, today nearly gave me a god damned heart attack. I'm not sure if the Penguins were just overly anxious to move on, but the Pens performance was riddled with sloppy play of numerous missed shots, broken passes and flat out missed passes. It surprises me to know that the Penguins put 3 goals and 40 shots on the board with a few unecessary penalties and such sloppy play. I am not trying to take away from the Pens play, because i believe they are now the strongest team and the rangers had every opportunity to snuff the Pens or at least drag them out to 6 games.

As far as the Pens and the Flyers. Im sure that will be one physical series. A series that i believe the Penguins will take with their speed and aggression, but The flyers did upset the top seed Canadians in a most impressive series. This will be one exciting series for sure.

Shadow_King
now lets hope stars can wrap up there series against the sharks, if they lose today, the sharks could go on to take game 7.

DigiMark007
Woot. Go Pens!

Gotta say I'm a bit worried. The Red Wings look tight as hell, and even the Rangers probably deserved another win in that series. The Pens are talented and have some excellent games, but can be sloppy more than a lot of other teams.

Smasandian
I think they will be fine.

I dont believe that Rangers deserved another win. They lost, and pretty handily too.

ragesRemorse
now lets hope stars can wrap up there series against the sharks, if they lose today, the sharks could go on to take game 7.

jesus, i dont want the wings to have any more down time than they already had

Dr. Leg Lock
i hope sharks win. i really want to see them face wings.

botankus
Pens had about 10 times as many chances as the Rangers in the series, and especially in yesterday's game. That being said, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Rangers got an out-of-left-field goal (like their 2nd goal) in OT to win it after killing off the penalty to start the period. But it didn't happen, and adios to them.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Lock
i hope sharks win. i really want to see them face wings.

Oh well, your dream was shattered.

Shadow_King
that was an exciting game, both goalies made some great saves during the 4 overtime, but in the end, sharks just couldn't convert on that power-play, but stars did. That is a real shame.

Admiral Akbar
that was an exciting game, both goalies made some great saves during the 4 overtime, but in the end, sharks just couldn't convert on that power-play, but stars did. That is a real shame.

These series were full of upsets. Flyers over Habs and Stars over Sharks. I only got 50% of this semi-final correct. sad

Shadow_King
These series were full of upsets. Flyers over Habs and Stars over Sharks. I only got 50% of this semi-final correct. sad

so what you think for the conference finals??

thinking that flyers will have lots of surprises for pens and win in 6 games, while stars and wings might go to like 7 game series and stars taking it.

Admiral Akbar
For the first time I'm not sure about the matchups. If I was to go with my gut feeling I would say that the Wings and Flyers would win, but other than that I can't say I have a strong opinion of either series.

Shadow_King
anybody think jagr will sign up with rangers for next season??

Admiral Akbar
Who knows; I don't see why he wouldn't. I guess it's all about the money.

Shadow_King
i read, his contract would have carried over to next season, if he wins teh conn smyth, i didnt know you were even allowed to do that.

Smasandian
In hockey, there is crazy restrictions sometimes.

I think you cant put anything in contracts.

Admiral Akbar
i read, his contract would have carried over to next season, if he wins teh conn smyth, i didnt know you were even allowed to do that.

Doubtful he will.

DigiMark007
I think they will be fine.

I dont believe that Rangers deserved another win. They lost, and pretty handily too.

Yeah, they have to be favorites to win their next series. I just don't like how many penalties we took in the Rangers series. Undisciplined, and the competition will only get tougher. If we're playing 4-manned against the Wings as much as we did with the Rangers, they'll get their asses handed to them.

Dr. Leg Lock
Oh well, your dream was shattered. i could care less now, the game had me at the edge of my seat the entire time.

Admiral Akbar
ha..at what time did that game end?

ragesRemorse
anybody think jagr will sign up with rangers for next season??

I dont see why he wouldn't. He seems to like it there. The Fans like him being there and still being an offensive force i dont see why NY wouldn't bring some money to the table. Apparently he is going through some family trouble's. Hopefully those do not keep him from giving the league a couple more years.

Smasandian
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Yeah, they have to be favorites to win their next series. I just don't like how many penalties we took in the Rangers series. Undisciplined, and the competition will only get tougher. If we're playing 4-manned against the Wings as much as we did with the Rangers, they'll get their asses handed to them.

Meh, still think they'll be fine.

If they lose this round, well, I'm pretty much certain they'll be there next season, and for the rest of the decade if they keep the 3 players.

Dr. Leg Lock
ha..at what time did that game end? late laughing out loud

Admiral Akbar
rolling on floor laughing

Bicnarok

Admiral Akbar
Yeah it is, but I can't find that on TV, so I don't pay much attention to it.

Shadow_King
Yeah it is, but I can't find that on TV, so I don't pay much attention to it.

dont know if the game was live, but tsn was showing the Canada vs USA game, at 7:30pm, so i doubt it was live.

Smasandian

Bicnarok
thanxs for clearing that upsmile

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>