How Global Warming Affects me....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Thank you Al Gore

Now I can feel good about myself. Every time I pay extra at the pump and pay extra for my vehicle registration, I'm helping in the fight against Global Warming.

I'm no longer guilty.

inimalist
lol

Robtard
...and how much that $0.09 per gallon and $90.00 (extra) in registration fees will actually go into "fighting global warming" after the politicians have dipped their greasy fingers in the cookie jar?

Funny thing too, lets pretend the full amount does go into helping California pollute a little bit less, it's going to be offset tenfold by countries like Indian and China who have almost zero regulations, not to mention the other 49 states.

Al Gore needs to gain another 50 pounds and go into a diabetic coma.

chillmeistergen
'Agaisn't' - that has to be the most interesting misspelling of that word I have ever seen.

WrathfulDwarf
Dude! I got a brilliant idea! I should go to City Hall and propose these Tax ideas.

The Bigfoot Tax:

For every new pair of shoes you buy there will be tax added to help the "Finding Bigfoot Foundation".

Because you know....Foot and Shoes link to each other.

The Clown Hamburger Tax:

For every Hamburger you buy there will be a tax added to help promote jobs for Unemployed Clowns.

Because you know...Clowns and Hamburgers are connected.

The Water Monster Tax:

For every glass of water you drink you will be tax and that money will be send to the "Finding the Loch Ness Monster Expedition"

Because...water and the Loch Ness Monster are connected.

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
'Agaisn't' - that has to be the most interesting misspelling of that word I have ever seen.

That makes me think...

We should have a Message Board Professor Tax.

We need these Taxes! Do your part to help these causes!

DigiMark007
Global warming hasn't even been sufficiently proven. I realize I open myself to all kinds of criticism at this point, but there exists another side to the argument. I saw, for example (though there are others) a wonderful British documentary that debunked much of the data used by Gore in his film. We just aren't exposed to such things (the doc wasn't aired in the US, and has since been removed from the primary website that hosted it) because "everything might actually be ok folks!" doesn't exactly sell. Disaster does, though, and "global warming" has quickly become a multi-billion dollar industry whose very existence is dependent on the public believing that "the debate is over. GW is real." and not really questioning it.

I'm very environmentalist, and consider a number of enviro-concerns to be legitimate and sobering on the global scale. But GW has become such an accepted buzzword, that remaining objective and critical of information is something the media, the public, and sometimes even the scientific community has forgotten to adhere to.

{edit} for those interested, I can only provide a skeleton paraphrase of the movie's points: temp. increase in the atmosphere is common and undergoes cycles; in the data used by Gore as a main proof the temp. increase actually preceeds pollution by a significant margin, and doesn't follow from it; the earth has been hotter in its history than it currently is (or is projected to be) without the collapse predicted by GW doom-sayers; polar ice caps melt naturally at the edges at a steady rate while being replaced from within, and while this varies as well the "slippery slope" advocates are exaggerating greatly to say they're disappearing; wish I could remember more...there was lots.

Maybe they're wrong and Gore's right. But there is another side.

Robtard
Well said, and why I believe:

Originally posted by Robtard
Al Gore needs to gain another 50 pounds and go into a diabetic coma.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
That makes me think...

We should have a Message Board Professor Tax.

We need these Taxes! Do your part to help these causes!

Yeah, we should also have an Educating Message Board Moderators tax.

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Global warming hasn't even been sufficiently proven. I realize I open myself to all kinds of criticism at this point, but there exists another side to the argument. I saw, for example (though there are others) a wonderful British documentary that debunked much of the data used by Gore in his film. We just aren't exposed to such things (the doc wasn't aired in the US, and has since been removed from the primary website that hosted it) because "everything might actually be ok folks!" doesn't exactly sell. Disaster does, though, and "global warming" has quickly become a multi-billion dollar industry whose very existence is dependent on the public believing that "the debate is over. GW is real." and not really questioning it.

Yeah, I watched the same documentary, it was fantastic a really great watch. I believe it was Channel Four that aired it, it might be worth checking out www.channel4.com as they have a service where you can watch past programmes on demand.

jaden101
the irony is that world wide...cars only account for 2% of all human CO2 emissions...and human CO2 emissions are still only a small % compared with naturally occuring greenhouse gases

GCG
If you really want to help the environment try find a way how to make cars run on pee or pooh or on swill. There is plenty of this crap in the world.

inimalist
I'd caution people before believing in the "great global warming swindle"

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
the irony is that world wide...cars only account for 2% of all human CO2 emissions...and human CO2 emissions are still only a small % compared with naturally occuring greenhouse gases

You've heard "the straw that broke the camel's back" idiom, I'm sure.

Though small in comparison, it could still be enough to tip the natural balance. How much though?

jaden101
it's a stupid logic that governments employ when they think they can just tax cars off the road...people generally drive because they need to get somewhere

then of course you get conflicting legislation where the government introduce traffic calming measures which cause massive congestion in major cities where cars sit in jams with their engines running...using huge amounts more of fuel than would otherwise be the case if they idiotic traffic "calming" measures weren't in effect

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
I'd caution people before believing in the "great global warming swindle" I hope you also caution them to believe in "Al Gore's inconvenient hour of bullshit" in the same breath.

jaden101
You've heard "the straw that broke the camel's back" idiom, I'm sure.

Though small in comparison, it could still be enough to tip the natural balance. How much though?

my point is why isn't the same principle being applied to the major usage of fossil fuels...namely burning to produce electricity or in the case of gas....direct usage

also...will any of the extra revenue generated be put into finding alternative energy sources?...short answer....in the current economic climate...most likely not

which brings in another major factor...will this concern for the enviroment still continue in the short term because of the looming recession?

WrathfulDwarf
The Earth will get Hot and then cool down and the Ice Age will return....that's what I think.

Originally posted by Bardock42
I hope you also caution them to believe in "Al Gore's inconvenient hour of bullshit" in the same breath.

I thought he was your Hero!

Boooo!!!!!

DigiMark007

...because? I'm receptive to this advice, and take anything I hear with a grain of salt unless it is repeatedly corroborated by other sources. I just need to see the evidence and/or counter-arguments before accepting it at face value.

Because otherwise, their argument seemed more logically laid out than Gore's imo. I won't call myself certain (because I'm far from it) but my sensibilities lay closer to the Swindle movie than with Gore's.

Here's a decent link for anyone interested (thanks chill):
http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/G/great_global_warming_swindle/
...doesn't have the movie itself, but it summarizes a lot of the ideas.

But my original point was that the debate has been squelched (which it has). More people should be aware of these arguments, because pretending they don't exist and stunting scientific inquiry into the matter is just as bad (or worse) as believing a false premise.

Robtard
The Earth will get Hot and then cool down and the Ice Age will return....that's what I think.

Well thanks for that wonderful insight, Bill Nye.

jaden101
not to mention all this media hyped nonsense about CO2 anyway given there are much MUCH more potent greenhouse gases...such as water vapour, methane and trifluoromethyl sulphur pentafluoride

WrathfulDwarf
Well thanks for that wonderful insight, Bill Nye.

Bill Nye is so Friggin OVERRATED!

Beakman's world FTW.

Robtard
I hope you also caution them to believe in "Al Gore's inconvenient hour of bullshit" in the same breath.

Actually, it was an hour and thirty-six minutes of bullshit, Rhineboy.

Bardock42
Actually, it was an hour and thirty-six minutes of bullshit, Rhineboy.

Fair enough.

Schecter
al gore is silly, so global warming does not exist.

=Tired Hiker=
It's all just a bunch of propaganda anyway, nothing really even matters anymore.

jaden101
oooOOOoooo...someone's in a melancholy mood today

=Tired Hiker=
Eff the world.

=Tired Hiker=
That's how global warming affects me.

Robtard
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Eff the world.

STFU Emo.

McLovin
**** global warming and **** Al Gore.

We need oil and we need it fast.

Alaska needs to be raped.

botankus
Global warming brings me laughter when I look at people's desperate attempts to defend/attack this as if their own mother was being defamed.

Bardock42
Originally posted by McLovin
**** global warming and **** Al Gore.

We need oil and we need it fast.

Alaska needs to be raped. Dibs on the girls.

chithappens

I believe in taking back a lot of pollutions because of the enviornmental damage but that happens to concide with what GW theorists believe in some cases.

Shrug

High Priest
i think global warming is serious in the next 50-100 years we will see alot of changes in weather,landscapes and high waters i know my mom drives a esate car and because its a high powered car she as got to pay more taxes as they say she polluting the environment more than other drivers. in the uk we are proudcing windmills threw a company called eon uk leading integrated power and gas companies.

High Priest

No the earth is coming out of the ice age .it wont return back once the ice caps melt wich the sceinist say it will be in the next 75 years the earth will change to a new climate wich could be very very warm wich could change our environment and change the human race or even wipe us out like the neatherdals and dinosaurs.

inimalist
Originally posted by DigiMark007
...because? I'm receptive to this advice, and take anything I hear with a grain of salt unless it is repeatedly corroborated by other sources. I just need to see the evidence and/or counter-arguments before accepting it at face value.

Because otherwise, their argument seemed more logically laid out than Gore's imo. I won't call myself certain (because I'm far from it) but my sensibilities lay closer to the Swindle movie than with Gore's.

Here's a decent link for anyone interested (thanks chill):
http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/G/great_global_warming_swindle/
...doesn't have the movie itself, but it summarizes a lot of the ideas.

But my original point was that the debate has been squelched (which it has). More people should be aware of these arguments, because pretending they don't exist and stunting scientific inquiry into the matter is just as bad (or worse) as believing a false premise.

http://www.climateofdenial.net/?q=node/2

unfortunately the items are listed in reverse chronological order, so you have to read bottom to top to get the whole picture

I would categorically disagree that any scientific voice is being ignored. Were there actual science that confirmed to the idea that global warming is not man made, it would be broadcast on Fox news 18 hours a day. There is also robust debate about every aspect of global warming in the scientific community.

wikipedia also covers it well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle#Reception.2C_criticism_and_changes_made_due_to_criticisms

and I would highlight this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle#The_Armand_Leroi_
Correspondence

of course. both are fairly obvious propaganda pieces

inimalist
http://www.livescience.com/environment/070716_gw_notwrong.html

Bardock42
I got forwarded this article a few weeks back. What do you make of it, inimalist?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88520025

inimalist
I got forwarded this article a few weeks back. What do you make of it, inimalist?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88520025

really interesting. In my understanding, the most important quote in the article is "Global warming doesn't mean every year will be warmer than the last"

Honestly, more than Al Gore or the Global Warming Swindle, its been the radical environmental movement and the ignorant sensationalist media that has ruined public understanding of Global Warming.

We associate it with seasonal things, like hot summers or how early flowers blossom. In Canada, we have seen some really hot summers recently, and everyone is like OMG, global warming, its just going to keep getting hotter, as if the world is a decade away from igniting.

Real expected temperature change in 100 years is something like 1 degree or something.

I guess that is a little tangental, but its the perspective I see the article in, an interesting short term trend, but I don't think it says much to the long term. Hell, it'd be really nice if our planet had an adequate heat monitoring system to compensate for warming

chithappens
really interesting. In my understanding, the most important quote in the article is "Global warming doesn't mean every year will be warmer than the last"

Honestly, more than Al Gore or the Global Warming Swindle, its been the radical environmental movement and the ignorant sensationalist media that has ruined public understanding of Global Warming.

We associate it with seasonal things, like hot summers or how early flowers blossom. In Canada, we have seen some really hot summers recently, and everyone is like OMG, global warming, its just going to keep getting hotter, as if the world is a decade away from igniting.

Real expected temperature change in 100 years is something like 1 degree or something.

I guess that is a little tangental, but its the perspective I see the article in, an interesting short term trend, but I don't think it says much to the long term. Hell, it'd be really nice if our planet had an adequate heat monitoring system to compensate for warming

I'm not sure how accurate some of the expected temperatures are. Some of the temperatures in the U.S. are beyond ridiculous in different seasons.

inimalist
well yes, but we have had more snow here in Canada this year than in at least 40. Does this mean that global warming is over?

I don't think short term changes in climate are caused by global warming, whether or not they are related to co2 emissions or whatever, I don't know, but my understanding is that they are separate things

Robtard
Originally posted by High Priest
No the earth is coming out of the ice age .it wont return back once the ice caps melt wich the sceinist say it will be in the next 75 years the earth will change to a new climate wich could be very very warm wich could change our environment and change the human race or even wipe us out like the neatherdals and dinosaurs.

Hahahaahaaa, so "Water World" wasn't fiction and Neanderthals are sexy.

lil bitchiness
Thank you Al Gore

Now I can feel good about myself. Every time I pay extra at the pump and pay extra for my vehicle registration, I'm helping in the fight against Global Warming.

I'm no longer guilty.

If smokers have to pay 88% tax on cigarettes and not be allowed to even smoke in designated places over some cranky ass non smokers cry baby shit, then you can pay extra for polluting the earth.

Now everyone is unhappy. Compromise.

dadudemon
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
If smokers have to pay 88% tax on cigarettes and not be allowed to even smoke in designated places over some cranky ass non smokers cry baby shit, then you can pay extra for polluting the earth.

Now everyone is unhappy. Compromise.

I HATE stinky ass exhaust...I HATE smoke from smokers...they both make me cough and they both stink. no expression

Devil King
Originally posted by dadudemon
I HATE stinky ass exhaust...I HATE smoke from smokers...they both make me cough and they both stink. no expression

that argument will work as soon as you stop using products that are shipped from one location to another via air freight, cargo ship or tractor trailers.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Devil King
that argument will work as soon as you stop using products that are shipped from one location to another via air freight, cargo ship or tractor trailers.

What argument? confused confused confused

Devil King
Originally posted by dadudemon
What argument? confused confused confused

That because you hate both you do not benefit from either.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Devil King
That because you hate both you do not benefit from either.

I benefit from both...even though I hate to cough and I hate the smell.

High Priest
Hahahaahaaa, so "Water World" wasn't fiction and Neanderthals are sexy.

lol its true dude there will be no land in the next 100+ years .thats why all these changes are happing in the world thats why all the goverments are making all these changes and bringing in new energy .also because off global warming there will be a war as china are making the most pollution and are been told buy usa to change there industrial to keep up with europe and america.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12594011/

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/pages/glaciers.html

jaden101
Originally posted by High Priest
lol its true dude there will be no land in the next 100+ years .thats why all these changes are happing in the world thats why all the goverments are making all these changes and bringing in new energy .also because off global warming there will be a war as china are making the most pollution and are been told buy usa to change there industrial to keep up with europe and america.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12594011/

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/pages/glaciers.html

for one...China aren't creating the most pollution...the US are still producing way more than anyone else...they also have no right to dictate to any other country given how pathetically slow and hugely resistant to the Kyoto treaty they were. they also have no right to essentially prevent other countries from developing and reaping the benefits of technology that they already have

and secondly..."there will be no land"...hahaha...ok then

inimalist
China will likely have to go to war within the next 10-15 years for oil, unless they corner the market in africa...

jaden101
which they seem to be doing...they have massive interests in Nigeria...i know that from travelling there...they are also paying alot to other governments in order to secure contracts

most likely there will be a disagreement between the US/Europe and Russia and Russia will change their gas exports to China

meanwhile the US and Europe will either go more towards nuclear and alternative

inimalist
indeed, was isn't necessary, but there will be a squeeze on petroleum recourses in the near future, and if rational long term planning doesn't happen... I can see some already terrible regions of the world getting so much worse...

jaden101
one of the countries that seems to be getting off the hook in regards to massive pollution is Australia...their coal consumption is massive and it's not the cleanest methods either although their coal is relatively clean compared to other countries as it's mined

they're also the largest exporters of coal in the world

chithappens
China is not one of the "developed" (historically speaking, under the jurisdiction of the treaty) nations according to the Kyoto Treaty, right?

The U.S. and Australia are the ones who would make the biggest difference but there's no way they are going to sign a damn thing regarding lowering their emissions.

Robtard
BWdiHtv6T6s

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.