Your favorite Hindu gods.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
I have two.

One is Ganesha and the other Indra

I used to like Krishna quite a lot...but I got older.

You have a favorite one?

Impediment
Kali always seemed like the kind of deity I could identify with.

Quiero Mota
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/WatchOut_02/Ganesh.jpg

Quiero Mota
Here's a nice little guide to Ganesh.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/WatchOut_02/Ganesa-Ma.jpg

WrathfulDwarf
I remenber when Homer dress up as Ganesh and anger all the hindu guests during Apu's wedding. laughing out loud

SpearofDestiny
Kali and Shiva

SpearofDestiny
Actually I also LOVE Vishnu !

fini
Shiva and Latchmi

Symmetric Chaos
Agni all the way.

The big EH
whoever is the guy from temple of doom "Kali Ma! Kali Ma!" *rips out WrathfulDwarf's heart* how's that for an answer to your question?

fini
well considering all the male 'gods' ( there is only one true god in hinduism) are incarnations of one deity and so to the female, I guess its down to which one that has been granted certain powers that appeals to people.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by fini
well considering all the male 'gods' ( there is only one true god in hinduism) are incarnations of one deity and so to the female, I guess its down to which one that has been granted certain powers that appeals to people.

So why does God in Hinduism have multiple personalities? (And is apparently a cross-dresser)

SpearofDestiny
It is to represent the various aspects of human and animal nature.

Atman is the individual soul, and Brahman is the Ultamate Collective Soul. In Hinduism, the goal of every living being is to eventually become one with Brahman.

Living the cycle of life and death, as an Atman will only lead to further and further struggle. Through enlightenment and good karma, an Atman will eventually become Brahman.

big gay kirk
as a dude in the transporrt business, it has to be Garuda....

Deja~vu
The blue one? I know there's a blue one....I know there is.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
It is to represent the various aspects of human and animal nature.

Atman is the individual soul, and Brahman is the Ultamate Collective Soul. In Hinduism, the goal of every living being is to eventually become one with Brahman.

Living the cycle of life and death, as an Atman will only lead to further and further struggle. Through enlightenment and good karma, an Atman will eventually become Brahman.

Isn't Brahman the Zeus of Hinduism?

Deja~vu
mUST STOP TALING LIKE............CAPTAN KIRT.......MUST... TAKE THE...CHALLENGE AND.......SEE WHAT Color .MY...CREW...MIGHT.tIKE...

damn, I'm bussed...lol

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Deja~vu
mUST STOP TALING LIKE............CAPTAN KIRT.......MUST... TAKE THE...CHALLENGE AND.......SEE WHAT Color .MY...CREW...MIGHT.tIKE...

damn, I'm bussed...lol

Help me Spock... Spock, help me...

Deja~vu
Jim, I'm not a god, I'm only a doctor...I'm not a miracle worker... mad

Damn Vulcans blood.......they're not even HUMAN....ditch em.

Well I asked spoCk over and over agian about my special dream and HE WOUDLNT' SAY! THOUGH HIM TO THE BORG!......THOUGH i LOVE THOSE HIDDEN WAYSSSSS..LOL

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
So why does God in Hinduism have multiple personalities? (And is apparently a cross-dresser)

So does the Christian God...in a sense.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
So does the Christian God...in a sense.

God in Christianity only has one visible incarnation.

Grand_Moff_Gav
God in Christianity only has one visible incarnation.

But he is made up of three independent but equal entities.

Quiero Mota
What's your point?

That didn't answer my question to Fini.

fini
Oh there was a question? lol

God does not have different personalities in hinduism, just different facets.

A man can be a father, husband,brother, friend, employee, employer, a jackass, a SOB, a kindest soul to a friend, a drinking buddy, a very angry vengeful person etc..................... SO is this multiple personalities? No its just different sides of one Being.

Something similiar can be applied to God. Thats all......... well just God can be given much much more.
Shiva is the creator and destroyer, but yet when they churned the ocean and poison came out that could destroy the world, he drank it to protect the world. Hanuman is a sub-human form, but it loyal, stong, and the perfect deciple. Kali is the full anger of Shiva personified. Durga is the calm very of the power of Kali/Shiva.

Parvati/Latshmi/Sita/Radha.......... they are all the incarnation of the female aspect of god, just their names in different eras/stories.

Hinduism is an ancient religion and OLD religions had mulitple versions of god. As time progressed, other religions ( that were based on worshipping a supreme being.... so Buddhism does not count here) leaned more and more towards a SINGLE entity/version of God. So while newer ones have one form, Hinduism remained the same with achknowledging the different aspects of gods, in the form of different persons/beings.

I hope that helps, unless you are being thickheaded, then no explanation will help.

Quiero Mota

God does not have different personalities in hinduism, just different facets.

But why do these differing facets have different genders, skin colors, number of appendages, pets and weapons of choice?

A man can be a father, husband,brother, friend, employee, employer, a jackass, a SOB, a kindest soul to a friend, a drinking buddy, a very angry vengeful person etc..................... SO is this multiple personalities? No its just different sides of one Being.

Those are just different ways that different people know him. He's not gonna talk to his boss the same way he talks to his wife.

Weird analogy.

Shiva is the creator and destroyer, but yet when they churned the ocean and poison came out that could destroy the world, he drank it to protect the world. Hanuman is a sub-human form, but it loyal, stong, and the perfect deciple. Kali is the full anger of Shiva personified. Durga is the calm very of the power of Kali/Shiva.

Parvati/Latshmi/Sita/Radha.......... they are all the incarnation of the female aspect of god, just their names in different eras/stories.

Hanuman is a monkey. So why is a supreme being being likened to a scat-throwing animal?

Hinduism is an ancient religion and OLD religions had mulitple versions of god. As time progressed, other religions ( that were based on worshipping a supreme being.... so Buddhism does not count here) leaned more and more towards a SINGLE entity/version of God. So while newer ones have one form, Hinduism remained the same with achknowledging the different aspects of gods, in the form of different persons/beings.

So as time went on and Hinduism out-lived Zeus and Horus, Hindus decided that all their countless gods were actually the same one?

I hope that helps, unless you are being thickheaded, then no explanation will help.

I honestly want to learn.

King Kandy
Those are just different ways that different people know him. He's not gonna talk to his boss the same way he talks to his wife.
Um, that's the point. The Hindu God is different to different people, but it's actually just different ways of seeing it.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by King Kandy
Um, that's the point. The Hindu God is different to different people, but it's actually just different ways of seeing it.

So why would god tell the people of the Arabian Peninsula there there is no god but he and representations are an abomination, and then tell people in the Indian Sub-Continent that he occasionally is a man with an elephant's head?

King Kandy
Never said the Gods of OTHER religions are part of the Hindu "one god."

fini
Sigh

God is God. Its the same God everyone worships, just many people spend way too much time and energy convincing themselves otherwise. So " the hindu god did not outlive Zeus", the religion that worships God as Bhagwan outlived the RELIGION that worshiped god as Zeus. Those other religions were replaced by Christianity and Islam later on. I thought that would have been an obvious conclusion.

Races? I've never seen other races portrayed in ancient hindu mythology. The number of limbs, animals, weapons are alll Symbolic.

Ahhh, They chose a monkey to represent God, one of the basic fundamentals of hinduism is that God can and does lie in everything. God is omnipresent and is not AND should not be limited by the perception of MAN. I simply CANNOT understand why people expect the being that created the universe to take ONE form. God is not a physical quantity, so that means it can change, it can change as much as man's imagination CAN ( at one time, God took the form of a half man/ half beast for example)

Remember MAN makes and defines the rules and boundaries of Religion, and the same applies for hinduism.

Hinduism, accepts Jesus and Buddha as the MOST RECENT INCARNATIONS of God. Temples celebrate the night of christmas because it was the night that God came back on earth. We just dont go around claiming that JEsus is THE one and only version of god, and what everyone else thinks is WRONG.

fini
Sometime in the world's history there was a radical movement away from a multifaceted god to a SINGLE version of God. SO to keep their followers, obviously they had to say that more than one version of God is not possible and therefore wrong to think about. This is where man's perception of God came into play when holy texts were written.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.