Books made into movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

justdecent
I love to read and I love to watch movies, but I can't stand it when they turn books into movies. It is very few that actually are good adaptations. I dont know why they even bother anymore. What are your guy's thoughts on this.

jaden101
mm...there are alot of good adaptations of books...you only need to look at the alex garland/danny boyle partnership to see that...the beach, sunshine, 28 days later

then there's been trainspotting, empire of the sun, the shining (and other notable king novels)

clockwork orange, the maltese falcon, fight club, fear and loathing in las vegas, to kill a mockingbird, watership down

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by jaden101
mm...there are alot of good adaptations of books...you only need to look at the alex garland/danny boyle partnership to see that...the beach, sunshine, 28 days later

then there's been trainspotting, empire of the sun, the shining (and other notable king novels)

clockwork orange, the maltese falcon, fight club, fear and loathing in las vegas, to kill a mockingbird, watership down

Every one of them are excellent books and also excellent movies.

There is also...
Do androids dream of electric sheep (Blade Runner),The lord of the rings, James Bond movies, and The Bourne Trilogy.

BruceSkywalker
There are a ton of excellent novels that made excellent movies.

Then theres Tom Cruise in Interview with a Vampire...
Great novel, horrible movie.

ScarletSpeed
agreed

I enjoyed the book but didn't like the movie.

There are also most of Steven King books

Carrie, It, Secret Window, etc.

=Tired Hiker=
And don't forget Jumanji! It was a ten page children's book made into an hour and forty minute adventure film!

BackFire
I don't have a problem with them.

chillmeistergen

The Beach? Are you having a laugh? That movie completely sodomised the book.

SkinWalker
Atonement
No Country for Old Men

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by chillmeistergen

I preferred the book, but the movie was still really good IMO.

Neo_Version 7
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
And don't forget Jumanji! It was a ten page children's book made into an hour and forty minute adventure film!

+1

Jumanji rocked! The best parts were the cop and the monkey antics.

jaden101

the beach is a great novel...but in my opinion i think its also a great film...it doesn't have to be an almost perfect transferal as fight club was...hence the word "adaptation"

ScarletSpeed
As you said Jaden, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S Thomson is the dogs bollox smile

jaden101
yeah...that and fight club are definitely two of the best transitions to film

BruceSkywalker
Lets not forget the movie that was a book that put Christian Bale on the map...Bret Easton Ellis's American Pyscho. I thoroghly enjoyed both the novel and the movie.

exanda kane
Well, I'd say Empire of the Sun put him on the map and that has already been mentioned.

*Smartarse hat off*

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Lets not forget the movie that was a book that put Christian Bale on the map...Bret Easton Ellis's American Pyscho. I thoroghly enjoyed both the novel and the movie. Yeah the American Phsycho Book and Movie were both amazingsmile

idowhatiamtold
There are a couple that I like and few that I don't. I think The Divinci Code was a poor excuse for a movie. But I really liked Prozac Nation and Girl Interrupted. I'm in the middle of reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter and I saw that they are making THAT into a movie so I'm kind of excited about it.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by justdecent
I love to read and I love to watch movies, but I can't stand it when they turn books into movies. It is very few that actually are good adaptations. I dont know why they even bother anymore. What are your guy's thoughts on this.

yeah your right.it is very rare that they ever make good books into good movies.as someone mentioned earlier,there have been a few of them like to kill a mockingbird,the shining and watership down and tom clancys novels as well.The best adaptaion of a novel I think and is my favorite adaptation is S E Hintons TEX.The movie was dead on to the book practically. But yeah the majority of the time they mess it up.those are rare instances.I agree,they mess it up so much most the time they shouldnt even bother anymore. For instance,I saw Christine before i read the novel and I enjoyed it.Then I read the novel and NOW I hate the movie.It could have been sooooo much better.with they would redeem themselves and make a tv miniseires out of like they did with the shining.Except the shining was a total waste.the orginal jack nicholson movie was so great they should have left it alone.Most stephen king novels have been screwed up when making them into films,with they would leave them alone since they cant get it right anymore.

jaden101
Lets not forget the movie that was a book that put Christian Bale on the map...Bret Easton Ellis's American Pyscho. I thoroghly enjoyed both the novel and the movie.

yeah i really enjoyed both...i hope they make a film out of "lunar park" which is essentially a sequel to american psycho...but it lends itself far better to a truer adaptation

clearly there would be no way a more accurate version of the american psycho novel would ever get made...rat tubes stuck up *****...cannibalism, chopping off lips with nail scissors...drilling out teeth and ripping the throat out through the mouth...

be a fun film to make and to watch...but it would never get past the censors

also...couldn't agree more with parker (1st time for everything) in that the tv version of the shining was utterly pointless....on its own merits it's not that bad but compared to the film it's hard to see why they even tried to out-do nicholson's performance

MildPossession
Apparently Lunar Park is getting a film Jaden, good book.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by idowhatiamtold
There are a couple that I like and few that I don't. I think The Divinci Code was a poor excuse for a movie. But I really liked Prozac Nation and Girl Interrupted. I'm in the middle of reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter and I saw that they are making THAT into a movie so I'm kind of excited about it.

What was wrong with The Da Vinci Code?

exanda kane
Well, I'll start off the tobogan-run. It was shite.

Röland
What was wrong with The Da Vinci Code?
It was terrible.

ScarletSpeed
yeah i really enjoyed both...i hope they make a film out of "lunar park" which is essentially a sequel to american psycho...but it lends itself far better to a truer adaptation

clearly there would be no way a more accurate version of the american psycho novel would ever get made...rat tubes stuck up *****...cannibalism, chopping off lips with nail scissors...drilling out teeth and ripping the throat out through the mouth...

be a fun film to make and to watch...but it would never get past the censors

also...couldn't agree more with parker (1st time for everything) in that the tv version of the shining was utterly pointless....on its own merits it's not that bad but compared to the film it's hard to see why they even tried to out-do nicholson's performance

Yeah why try and fix something that isn't broken right? laughing out loud

ScarletSpeed

MildPossession
I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code movie also, nothing amazing but I'd rather watch the movie again over reading the book again.

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession
Apparently Lunar Park is getting a film Jaden, good book.

http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/Monty%20Burns.jpg

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
I disagree I thought it was actually a very good film, I don't get why everyone hates it so much laughing out loud confused

probably because it was hyped up more than lord of the rings and almost as much as star wars episode 1. Movies with that much hype usually never have a chance

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
probably because it was hyped up more than lord of the rings and almost as much as star wars episode 1. Movies with that much hype usually never have a chance

Yeah, I enjoyed the book more, and expected the movie to be better after all the hype. I still enjoyed it thoughsmile

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by MildPossession
I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code movie also, nothing amazing but I'd rather watch the movie again over reading the book again.

I loved the book a whole lot and always watch the movie.

ScarletSpeed
I loved the book a whole lot and always watch the movie.

Yeah same, I have it on DVD and must have watched it about 20 times laughing out loud

MildPossession
I have it on dvd as the extended edition, it's the only one I've seen. Is it better than the cinema release length version?

chillmeistergen
My favourite's probably One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Rogue Jedi
I liked Rumble Fish.

brightlights
Originally posted by idowhatiamtold

I have to agree with you about The Divinci Code, but I'm not sure the book was all that great either. It should've went in chronological order and start with Angels and Demons.

I didn't know they were making a movie out of The Memory Keeper's Daughter and I'm so glad you mentioned it. I really liked that book, so I'm definitely going to check out the movie this Sunday, even though it is on Lifetime.

Mr Parker
My favourite's probably One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

yeah that one was really well done as well. thumb up

SkinWalker
Originally posted by brightlights
I have to agree with you about The Divinci Code, but I'm not sure the book was all that great either. It should've went in chronological order and start with Angels and Demons.

I didn't know they were making a movie out of The Memory Keeper's Daughter and I'm so glad you mentioned it. I really liked that book, so I'm definitely going to check out the movie this Sunday, even though it is on Lifetime.

They didn't start in that order because The Da Vinci Code was the book the was garnering all the attention.

MildPossession
I read somewhere The Raw Shark Texts is getting made into a film, that I will be looking forwards to.

brightlights

I dont think anybody noticed but this movie isn't showing on Sunday night...it'll be on Saturday night on Lifetime. My bad. I'm sorry!

Ax3l
My favourite's probably One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Agreed.

That, or A Clockwork Orange

BackFire
Cuckoo's Nest is in my opinion the best film ever made. I think the movie is infinitely better than the book.

justdecent

The movie WAS on Sunday..but I think the premiere was on Saturday. Did you get to catch it brightlights? I really like Gretchen Mol...she did an awesome job. Did anyone else watch?

SnakeEyes
American Psycho, Fight Club, and The Prestige are probably my favorites.

Jim Colyer
I just read the sequel to Forrest Gump, called Gump & Co. It may become a movie in the next couple of years.

celestialdemon
No one mentioned The Godfather. It's probably because the movie was so great everyone forgot it was first a book.

Soundgun99
How about Cold Mountain? Didn't like the book or the movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.