A Bill Hicks movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
I was browsing around Bill Hicks' site and I stumbled on some information about a possible biopic about the legendary comedian.

Some radio station in Australia was having a discussion about Russell Crowe preparing to play Bill Hicks in a movie directed by Ron Howard.

Click here to listen to the mp3 broadcast. Listen from a little past the halfway point since the first half is completely off-topic.

Russell Crowe as Bill? I dunno.

I looked at Crowe's and Howard's profiles on imdb for any kind of information regarding a movie about Bill, but I found nothing. Maybe it will take a few years for this to see any kind of green light. If it's not just an unsubstatiated rumor, that is.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a movie about Hicks. I think it's long overdue.

jaden101
i'd like to see a good documentary about hicks but a movie?...mmm...i dont know...i would hate to see his legacy made a shambles out of

Deano
a movie would be interesting i suppose. anythin new on bill would be great

Robtard
Didn't they already basically make one called "Lenny", starring Dustin Hoffman?

Impediment
Lenny is a fantastic movie about an equally brilliant comic, but, in my opinion, Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks are on different sides of the spectrum.

Robtard
I was more being an ass about Hicks being a Bruce clone, than being serious.

preach-boy
Before I had even heard about this, I thought if ever oh ever they make a biopic about Bill Hicks and his perspective on all things life-wise, I thought that it should be respectful of who he was honestly without trying to change it to dramatize a film or coat him with sugar at all. And also (mainly) my so-called perfect fit for someone who might just be able to nail the part of Bill Hicks, and not just to do a broad impression...not Russell Crowe EVER. More something like Paul Giamatti...wait...yeah, yeah I think that's good.

Alpha Centauri
Just no.

-AC

MildPossession
I'd prefer a Documentary too. Since a film is getting made apparently, I wouldn't know who would play the part well. My friend is obsessed with the man and thinks Crowe could be a good try.

Alpha Centauri
That's because he's the one being rumoured as cast.

The thing is, Bill Hicks has already told his fans about his life. I prefer imagining it, I don't want to see Russell Crowe or another guy who can't be Bill Hicks doing it.

-AC

MildPossession
Yes I know he is rumoured. I told him about Crowe and that's what he thought.

Impediment
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
That's because he's the one being rumoured as cast.

The thing is, Bill Hicks has already told his fans about his life. I prefer imagining it, I don't want to see Russell Crowe or another guy who can't be Bill Hicks doing it.

-AC

I have to agree with you on that note, AC. As much as I would want to see a biopic about one of my most beloved stand-ups of all time, I really don't wish to be subjected to shitty film making and shitty acting. And in case you are wondering, yes, I think that Crowe is a mediocre actor.

I dread someone, in the near future, making a biopic about George Carlin. He had WAY more publicity and notoriety, in my honest opinion.

Blinky
This sounds like a joke, or a hoax.

Russell Crowe and Ron Howard?

They might as well have said Bernie Mac is playing Hicks and Micheal Bay will be directing it.

jaden101
i really dont think there's anyway this could work....the only interesting way i can see it pan out is if they have numerous different comedians redoing Hicks' stuff onstage while having 1 person portray the offstage stuff

or simply using archive footage of Hicks himself and having someone play him offstage

http://www.billhicks.com/latest.html

ragesRemorse
I hate the idea of watching someone playing Bill Hicks in a movie and ****ing up the delivery of his jokes. Besides, it's only Bill Hicks. I love Bill Hicks, but...,he was just a funny comedian. Do we really need a feature length movie telling about his life? I already know all about Bill Hicks' life just from watching his stand up. I agree with Jaden, a doc would be well justified and i think it would also be aces.

Impediment
I feel that Bill was more than "just a comedian". He touched many people and left such an influence after his untimely death.

jaden101
oh...and a Doc is already being made

http://www.americanthemovie.com/

Impediment
Have you considered that this might, in fact, be the upcoming Bill Hicks movie?

jaden101
from my other link

it also states that it's a production company owned by Russell Crowe that have the rights to make a Bill Hicks movie...which is probably where the rumour that he is playing Hicks came from

Impediment
Ah. I see. yes

Strangelove
Originally posted by Impediment
I dread someone, in the near future, making a biopic about George Carlin. He had WAY more publicity and notoriety, in my honest opinion. No opinion needed, WAY more people know the name of George Carlin than they ever will of Bill Hicks.

Schuey
Yeah well I think Russell Crowe is THE best actor right now. If anyone can do great biopics, he can.

jaden101
leave...just...leave

chillmeistergen
Horrible idea.

Tyrion
They've already done a documentary called It's Just A Ride on the Revelations Dvd. Although looking at the cast on it I don't remember seeing George Bush anywhere in the documentary, but he's listed anyway.

Something totally unrelated but I'm sure Hicks would have a chuckle at this, type wanker into IMDB and see who it comes up with.

paultom
There's a Bill Hicks feature length documentary out soon!!! It's screens at the London Film Festival on October 23rd and then at the Sheffield International Doc Fest on November 7th.

Impediment
I'd love to see a good docu of Bill.

The thing is, I've always heard that an actual biopic movie about Bill's life and death was in the works.

NemeBro
"Why is Bill Hicks unknown when Denis Leary is famous?

Because there's no cure for cancer."

Yeah.

A biopic would probably suck, as many seem to think in this thread.

Impediment
I dunno. With the right director and actor, a biopic might be passable.

Sadako of Girth
I have to agree with you on that note, AC. As much as I would want to see a biopic about one of my most beloved stand-ups of all time, I really don't wish to be subjected to shitty film making and shitty acting. And in case you are wondering, yes, I think that Crowe is a mediocre actor.

I dread someone, in the near future, making a biopic about George Carlin. He had WAY more publicity and notoriety, in my honest opinion.

Yep I hold this opinion too.

I could see John Ritter as Hicks.
I think hes way too old to play him now though.

BruceSkywalker
I dunno. With the right director and actor, a biopic might be passable.

who would you like to see play Bill Hicks?

Impediment
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
who would you like to see play Bill Hicks?

Anyone except Crowe, TBH.

NemeBro
...Yeah, Crowe is just a ****ed up choice.

paultom
There's more info at the Hicks documentary site now.. americanthemovie.com

BruceSkywalker
Anyone except Crowe, TBH.

Crowe does look like him, but you're right someone else should play Bill Hicks

Impediment
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Crowe does look like him, but you're right someone else should play Bill Hicks

Well............10 years ago? Maybe. Now, though? I dunno. Crowe just doesn't seem age appropriate for the role, if you ask me.

Impediment
I just looked at the updated page.

Awesome. Just awesome.

I am so ready to see this film.

Impediment
I wonder what the animation style will be like.

paultom
It's animated real photos of Bill, using the same technique as the movie Kid Stays in the picture.. Checkout the trailer for that film, but the Hicks film does it much better I think

Impediment
Interesting animation style, I admit.

Impediment
Okay, so does anybody know when American: The Bill Hicks Story will be released in America?

It seems like this documentary is viewable everywhere except here in America. I've been reading the raving reviews from the UK, and it looks so amazing.

Kaibs
The film made its North American premiere at the 2010 South by Southwest Film Festival. So I assume by that it'll be out probably early next year. I also can't wait. Bill Hicks is ****ing epic.

the ninjak
I always wanted the father from Problem Child to play Hicks....John Ritter. He would've made a great Randy Pan the Goat Boy.
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/the_ninjak/Hooperman4.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.