There will be Blood

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
There's going to be two new catch phrases entering pop culture, from this movie -

"I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!!!

And

"DDDRRRRAAAAAIIINNNNAAAGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!! DRAINAGE!!"

laughing out loud

Anyone else seen the film, you know what I'm talking about. big grin

=Tired Hiker=
This movie is next on my list. I'm surprised more people haven't seen it.

JediSamuraiMRB
Good movie. I see some academy awards in its future.

exanda kane
It's out in the UK finally, but I'll be seeing it next week.

Mairuzu
THERE WILL BE MILKSHAKES!!!!!!!

Mairuzu
Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? Watch it. And my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake, I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

MildPossession
You don't say... stick out tongue

Still need to see it, looks fabulous.

roughrider
Originally posted by Mairuzu
THERE WILL BE MILKSHAKES!!!!!!!

Indeed. big grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCCdZmHk5Fk

faithxp
I haven't seen this movie yet., what is all about?

roughrider
It's about the beginning of the California oil boom in the early 20th Century, alongside the religious boom that happens when one particular town becomes prosperous. Daniel Day-Lewis plays a prospector and oil man named Daniel Plainview, and the film covers three decades of his life, starting from 1898. The 'Blood' of the title is metaphorical, for great riches from oil or religion (The Blood of the lamb), and as Daniel expands his operation and empire, he becomes increasingly in confrontation with the local church & it's zealot of a preacher, Eli Sunday(Paul Dano.) Their battles of wills spans many years and takes many twists.

That's a basic synopsis. It's fiercely acted by all, and builds to an explosive conclusion.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by roughrider
Indeed. big grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCCdZmHk5Fk eek!

ragesRemorse
I would watch a movie about drinking soda through a straw if it had daniel day lewis in it.

Mark Question
Good movie... It's slow, but DDL's peformance carries it.

SelphieT
Yes, it's slow moving, but not boring at all.

I loved it. Amazing movie, DDL did a fantastic job.

I am loving these new Western themed movies, I tell ya.

Alpha Centauri
Looking forward to seeing this.

Daniel Day Lewis has one of the best, if not THE best, abilities to change from his regular self into a character.

-AC

exanda kane
One of the best movies of the decade; I saw it last Tuesday. Paul Thomas Anderson is a wunderkind. Made me rewatch Magnolia and Boogie Nights just because of the sheer virtuosity of his direction; plus the score was amazing. Sadly Greenwood can't get the Oscar.

Impediment
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Looking forward to seeing this.

Daniel Day Lewis has one of the best, if not THE best, abilities to change from his regular self into a character.

-AC

Agreed on both counts.

I was so disappointed when he didn't win the best actor Oscar for Gangs of New York.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Impediment
Agreed on both counts.

I was so disappointed when he didn't win the best actor Oscar for Gangs of New York.

He was insaaaaane, in Gangs of New York.

He's just as delightful in There Will Be Blood. I don't think anyone can be disappointed in his performance, it was amazing.

Röland
Originally posted by SelphieT
He was insaaaaane, in Gangs of New York.

He's just as delightful in There Will Be Blood. I don't think anyone can be disappointed in his performance, it was amazing.
Bill the Butcher is an awesome character, I really don't think anyone but DDL could have made that character what he was in Gangs. Brilliant actor.

Edit: Put in the wrong vid.
R4mju3uOf-E

FistOfThe North
Nice. Daniel Day just took best actor. Good. I wanted him to get it. Viggo was my secong pick.

Wth was up with a Clooney and Depp nod. They didn't look right there. They're only known for their good looks and bad attitude not their acting. Deep's decent and better than Clooney but they're no Oscar caliber performeers. What was the academy thinking?

Congrats Daniel Day. Your second best actor Oscar award. His best role to me was the butcher from Gangs of New York. He reminded me of your drunken step uncle who who'd beat you just for blinking the wrong way. Loved his passion his calmness and psychotic temper in the movie.

FistOfThe North
Did a search but could find this thread. If someone finds it, i must've not searched long enough.

But anyway. I thought the movie itself was a bit tedious but still watchable. The thing that mostly held my attention was Daniel Day Lewis's performance. Man o man can he act. His intensity is phenomenal. He's mad passionate in it. He's so believable that i think he's actually like that in real life.

Sometimes it seems as if he was delivering his lines in impromptu form. Like he'd sometimes almost verbally interrupt a guy talking, and continued to let him talk, just as a normal people would in real life.

And he's definitely not afraid to get dirty and get slapped up unlike the always smug George Clooney. (whom in fact, and rightfully, lost the best actor Oscar to Daniel day a couple of months back). Daniel Day's a handsome man yet he seems to not care about that, well at least not as much as a normal movie star would.

He also looked the part like crazy. To me he has the look of a vaudeville performer from the late 1800's to early 1900's. You know, like one those guy that would sing a quartet outside a barbershop while you got a haircut or a show shine. He also looks like a circus ticket collector from the early 1900's. Moustache and everything, lol. Like the guy that goes: Hurry, hurry. Step right, get you tickets to the greatest show on earth, ya see?

haha. His is the best performance i've seen this year.

Loved how it ended, too.

FistOfThe North
Oh and my rating is:

7/10

Robtard
There Will Be Blood

"not afraid to get dirty and get slapped up unlike the always smug George Clooney", what exactly does that mean?

exanda kane
Best film of the year, really.

ragesRemorse
I was thoroughly entertained by this movie. The acting was captivating and the writing was very fine. . Maybe it was the dark realism intertwined with sarcasm, but i thought the tone of the film was obscure and quite fresh. I'm with Exanda on this one. If not, into the wild, There will be blood was easily the best film of the year.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Robtard
There Will Be Blood

"not afraid to get dirty and get slapped up unlike the always smug George Clooney", what exactly does that mean?

yeah, i get the smug remark, but am a bit lost in understanding, afraid to get slapped up.

BackFire
Movie is astounding.

A great, powerful character study.

Röland
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Sometimes it seems as if he was delivering his lines in impromptu form. Like he'd sometimes almost verbally interrupt a guy talking, and continued to let him talk, just as a normal people would in real life.
When DDL acts in a movie, he never leaves character. On the set of Gangs of New York, after there was a cut, he would still going around talking and acting like Bill the Butcher.

exanda kane
People seem to be forgetting that it's a PTA film anyway, even without Day-Lewis it would have been great.

Heat_Vision
Originally posted by exanda kane
Best film of the year, really.

Agreed and Lewis did a great job with the character. I couldn't ask for anything more from the movie. cool

=Tired Hiker=
I just watched this last night and enjoyed it very much. The acting was top notch, and the ending was by far one of the best endings ever.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I just watched this last night and enjoyed it very much. The acting was top notch, and the ending was by far one of the best endings ever.

yeah...."im finished now" brilliant

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
yeah...."im finished now" brilliant

That entire scene was ingenious. That cocky Eli coming in to persuade Daniel to drill on the Bandy farm, only to have Daniel break him down by making him say he was a false prophet, and then to break the news that he already owns that oil, and then clubbing him to death with a bowling pin . . . . priceless. On top of that, the line you quoted . . . . friggin' solid gold!

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? Watch it. And my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake, I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDVzmbtVZ6s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCCdZmHk5Fk&feature=related

SnakeEyes
Just watched this movie. Enjoyed it thoroughly, like everyone's stated, DDL kicked ass.

K.Diddy
erm I think I may have to see this again because from memory,I found it overlong and simply boring

I must put it on my list again though,too try to work out what all the fuss is about

Scythe
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
That entire scene was ingenious. That cocky Eli coming in to persuade Daniel to drill on the Bandy farm, only to have Daniel break him down by making him say he was a false prophet, and then to break the news that he already owns that oil, and then clubbing him to death with a bowling pin . . . . priceless. On top of that, the line you quoted . . . . friggin' solid gold!

I know, I loved that last scene. Truly amazing. I really enjoyed DDL's acting in this.

Asher Deep
There Will Be Blood is one of my favorite movies of all time. I think it's one of Paul Thomas Anderson's finest. Just wanted to know what you guys think of it. Comment, thanks.

COG Veteran
It is definetly a masterpiece. Daniel Day Lewis rocks face in this film. Hard.

Asher Deep
Originally posted by COG Veteran
It is definetly a masterpiece. Daniel Day Lewis rocks face in this film. Hard.

I agree, man. He's too damn good. Thank you for commenting.

quanchi112
Great acting performance but a truly boring movie I will never watch again.

Supra
Originally posted by quanchi112

One of the worst movies I have ever seen because of the bore..

quanchi112
Originally posted by Supra
One of the worst movies I have ever seen because of the bore.. Yea, I was very disappointed with this film.

Impediment
Merged with the existing thread.

Patient_Leech
Whuu..? you weirdos, this movie is great. Definitely wouldn't call it boring.

Asher Deep
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Whuu..? you weirdos, this movie is great. Definitely wouldn't call it boring.

I totally agree, it's a classic. It ain't boring at all.

Lestov16
Originally posted by quanchi112

Considering you only seem to have the intellectual capacity to comprehend at maximum a Tom and Jerry cartoon, I'm unsurprised

Originally posted by Supra
One of the worst movies I have ever seen because of the bore..

I must massively disagree here, Supra

This movie was one of the best I've ever seen. A modern day Citizen Kane (although admittedly not as good) in that it is a character study of how a man abandons all morality to achieve his goals, but whereas Charles was a sympathetic man turned bad, Daniel seems to have always had malevolence in him.

The musical score of this film was amazing, one of the best in cinematic history. It is very reminiscent of the score of Kubrick's The Shining. The scene in which the oil derrick burns, with it's relentless drumming score and beautiful cinematography, is undoubtedly one of the best scenes I've viewed in any film ever.

Of course, Daniel Day Lewis was superlative, Paul Dano did great, and the kid/adult who played H.W. was good as well.

And of course, DRAINNNNNNAAGGGGEEEEE!!!

9/10

Lestov16
Everything about this film in one scene:

QRKj4SWa6EI

Amazing cinematography, masterful score, and Daniel being a massive dickweed (for not tending to his deafened son). My personal favorite scene of the film.

Robtard
Originally posted by Lestov16
9/10

thumb up

Tzeentch
Really like the music in that clip. It's wonky in a good way.

Lestov16
If it wasn't for a technicality, it would have undoubtedly won an Oscar for Best Score

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.