Would You Call Religious Officials By Their Titles?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Grand_Moff_Gav
I.e.
Would you call a Cardinal, Your Eminence or Cardinal "name" even though your not Catholic?

Or would you call the Dali Lama or Pope Your Holiness even though you dont belong to those religions?

Or even, would you address a priest as Father or Reverend even if your aren't religious?

Quiero Mota
No.

dadudemon
Yes.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
I.e.
Would you call a Cardinal, Your Eminence or Cardinal "name" even though your not Catholic?

Or would you call the Dali Lama or Pope Your Holiness even though you dont belong to those religions?

Or even, would you address a priest as Father or Reverend even if your aren't religious?

It all depends on the circumstances. If I was in a place where their authority was, like a church, I would call them by their title. This really has nothing to do with religion, however. If I was talking to a senator or congressman, I would call them by their title, in a formal setting. That is just proper educate. But if they were in my house on a social evening, most people would want to be called by their names.

DigiMark007
What shakya said. It's a societal convention and common courtesy more so than religious adherence. I might not if I was adamantly opposed to them or their religious sect (I don't know if, say, Scientology has priests....but I wouldn't call them by a title, for example). But in most cases there's no problem.

Devil King
I.e.
Would you call a Cardinal, Your Eminence or Cardinal "name" even though you're not Catholic?

Or would you call the Dali Lama or Pope Your Holiness even though you don't belong to those religions?

Or even, would you address a priest as Father or Reverend even if you aren't religious?

I would. I don't have to believe the bat-shit crazy things they do, but they are the focal points of a lot of human faith, so I have respect for the beliefs of my fellow man, just not specifically what they are.

AngryManatee
I.e.

As long as they refer to me by my titles of either Galaxy Commander or IlKahn.

Da Pittman
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It all depends on the circumstances. If I was in a place where their authority was, like a church, I would call them by their title. This really has nothing to do with religion, however. If I was talking to a senator or congressman, I would call them by their title, in a formal setting. That is just proper educate. But if they were in my house on a social evening, most people would want to be called by their names. thumb up

Evil Dead
yes I would.

I'm anti-religion of any sort but I do have respect for others. Although I do not believe in their specific religion nor the very idea of an organized religion at all, these men do and have practiced it their whole life. They have attained their titles through dedication and life-long service. Just because you do not agree with another's beliefs does not mean you should be a shithead and refuse to acknowledge the accomplishments others have attained by devoting their entire life.

If you are a pacifist and do not agree with armed forces, are you going to refuse to address military officers as general, major, etc? Your beliefs have nothing to do with what these men have earned through the dedication of their own beliefs.

chickenlover98
Originally posted by DigiMark007
What shakya said. It's a societal convention and common courtesy more so than religious adherence. I might not if I was adamantly opposed to them or their religious sect (I don't know if, say, Scientology has priests....but I wouldn't call them by a title, for example). But in most cases there's no problem. http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Scientology

chickenlover98
Originally posted by AngryManatee
As long as they refer to me by my titles of either Galaxy Commander or IlKahn. theyd have to call me son of chuck big grin

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by chickenlover98
theyd have to call me son of chuck big grin

We first have to nail Chuck to a cross, and then wait 2000 years for his return.

chickenlover98
We first have to nail Chuck to a cross, and then wait 2000 years for his return. impossible no nails can pierce his skin

Bardock42
I.e.

Or even, would you address a priest as Father or Reverend even if your aren't religious? Depends, due to common courtesy usually yes.

lord xyz
Formally, yes.

Informally, no.

Shakyamunison
impossible no nails can pierce his skin

Then you are condemned to hell. laughing

Deja~vu
Lackies...........People of the church.

Neo_Version 7
Formally, yes.

But hell, I don't know if I will ever get to eat dinner with the Dalai Lama but even then, I'd address him accordingly. I'm respectful like that.

WrathfulDwarf
I.e.

I would really like to see a Communist answer these questions. 313

Would I? Sure...I did once for the honorable elijah muhammad (of course when I was speaking with a muslim)

Strangelove
It all depends on the circumstances. If I was in a place where their authority was, like a church, I would call them by their title. This really has nothing to do with religion, however. If I was talking to a senator or congressman, I would call them by their title, in a formal setting. That is just proper educate. But if they were in my house on a social evening, most people would want to be called by their names.

Da Pittman
impossible no nails can pierce his skin laughing

anaconda
no

Deja~vu
Soooooooo what do you call them?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Soooooooo what do you call them?

The first fowl thing that comes to his mind. laughing

Deja~vu
laughing out loud

well if he does not say it, I'm sure he'd be thinking it. I bet it would go something like this. #@!!&^#@!! eek!

*Priest covers ears*

Hmmm sensing bad vibes....

anaconda
if I was to speak to one of them I would call them by their name , or simply YOU

Deja~vu
I didn't catch your name...Oh, okay Wilber Hey did ya catch the game last night? Damn was it good as I belted down 40 beers.! I'm a betting man, you? blink stick out tongue

LOL

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by anaconda
if I was to speak to one of them I would call them by their name , or simply YOU

What if they don't want to speak to you? hmm

inimalist
no

I'd refer to them as sir, or by their names. unless it was totally in my best interests to call them by a religious title.

Its like calling profs "dr." so and so, its not something that is really comfortable to me.

I am personally offended that the Prime Minister of Canada refers to the Dali Lama as "his holiness".

ushomefree
Is this a direct insult on Christianity (from a so-called Buddhist)?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ushomefree

Is this a direct insult on Christianity (from a so-called Buddhist)?

No, it was an insult to chickenlover98 and his constant Chuck Norris obsession.

You know, you really need to read things in context, you so called Christian.

ushomefree
What does the "Church of Chuck Norris," that I assume chickenlover98 coined, have to do with Christianity?

Shakyamunison
What does the "Church of Chuck Norris," that I assume chickenlover98 coined, have to do with Christianity?

Are you asking me?

ushomefree
Yes.

Shakyamunison
Yes.

I haven't a clue. As far as I know, Chuck Norris is a Christian.

ushomefree
So knowing, as far as you knew, Chuck Norris being Christian, you must have been making an "insult" on Christianity (and your a so-called Buddhist). Is this true?

Shakyamunison
So knowing, as far as you knew, Chuck Norris being Christian, you must have been making an "insult" on Christianity (and your a so-called Buddhist). Is this true?

Yes. It's a good thing that true Christians don't kill people, like some Muslims do, when they are insulted.

ushomefree
So... you made a statement that can, would, and could be construed as an "insult"--even though Christians don't kill people, like some Muslims do, when they are insulted?

Shakyamunison
So... you made a statement that can, would, and could be construed as an "insult"--even though Christians don't kill people, like some Muslims do, when they are insulted?

Yes.

No, it was an insult to chickenlover98 and his constant Chuck Norris obsession.

You know, you really need to read things in context, you so called Christian.

It is a good thing that chickenlover98 is my friend, and a good guy. The worst he would do is insult me back.

ushomefree
Finally, you admit to insulting Christianity, as if myself, and all members of the forum are too stupid to connect the dots! Question: why the insult? I am just looking for some honesty.

Shakyamunison
Finally, you admit to insulting Christianity, as if myself, and all members of the forum are too stupid to connect the dots! Question: why the insult?

blink I never said I insulted Christianity. You said I insulted Christianity.

So, why are you insulted?

ushomefree
Shakyamunison, the first quote--of you--that I posted read, "We first have to nail Chuck to a cross, and then wait 2000 years for his return."

I then asked, "Is this a direct insult on Christianity (from a so-called Buddhist)?"

Your response was, "No, it was an insult to chickenlover98 and his constant Chuck Norris obsession. You know, you really need to read things in context, you so called Christian."

Continuing on with this idiocy, I then responded, "What does the "Church of Chuck Norris," that I assume chickenlover98 coined, have to do with Christianity?"

You further stated, with a question, "Are you asking me?"

I said, "Yes."

You replied, "I haven't a clue. As far as I know, Chuck Norris is a Christian."

Clearly dodging the issue.]

In trying to bring the point home, I stated, "So knowing, as far as you knew, Chuck Norris being Christian, you must have been making an "insult" on Christianity (and your a so-called Buddhist). Is this true?"

Oh... then, you responded, "Yes. It's a good thing that true Christians don't kill people, like some Muslims do, when they are insulted."

Still, trying to bring the point home, I further relayed, "So... you made a statement that can, would, and could be construed as an "insult"--even though Christians don't kill people, like some Muslims do, when they are insulted?"

And you stated, "Yes."

The truth be told!]

Noting the obvious, I asked, "Finally, you admit to insulting Christianity, as if myself, and all members of the forum are too stupid to connect the dots! Question: why the insult? I am just looking for some honesty."

And in responds to this, you stated, "I never said I insulted Christianity. You said I insulted Christianity. So, why are you insulted?"

I guess my question is: why do you have so much pride, being a so-called Buddhist? And why do you feel the need to ridicule Christianity and BS about it? Moreover, have you even a clue as to why Christ has not returned?

Shakyamunison
Shakyamunison, the first quote--of you--that I posted read, "We first have to nail Chuck to a cross, and then wait 2000 years for his return."

I then asked, "Is this a direct insult on Christianity (from a so-called Buddhist)?"

Your response was, "No, it was an insult to chickenlover98 and his constant Chuck Norris obsession. You know, you really need to read things in context, you so called Christian."

Continuing on with this idiocy, I then responded, "What does the "Church of Chuck Norris," that I assume chickenlover98 coined, have to do with Christianity?"

You further stated, with a question, "Are you asking me?"

I said, "Yes."

You replied, "I haven't a clue. As far as I know, Chuck Norris is a Christian."

Clearly dodging the issue.]

So, is telling the truth dodging to you?

In trying to bring the point home, I stated, "So knowing, as far as you knew, Chuck Norris being Christian, you must have been making an "insult" on Christianity (and your a so-called Buddhist). Is this true?"

Oh... then, you responded, "Yes. It's a good thing that true Christians don't kill people, like some Muslims do, when they are insulted."

Still, trying to bring the point home, I further relayed, "So... you made a statement that can, would, and could be construed as an "insult"--even though Christians don't kill people, like some Muslims do, when they are insulted?"

And you stated, "Yes."

The truth be told!]

Noting the obvious, I asked, "Finally, you admit to insulting Christianity, as if myself, and all members of the forum are too stupid to connect the dots! Question: why the insult? I am just looking for some honesty."

And in responds to this, you stated, "I never said I insulted Christianity. You said I insulted Christianity. So, why are you insulted?"

I guess my question is: why do you have so much pride, being a so-called Buddhist? And why do you feel the need to ridicule Christianity?

But I never insult Christianity; I insulted a friend of mine. All I said yes to was the possibility that someone might be insulted. That is not saying I insulted Christianity.

So, why are you insulted?

ushomefree
Shakyamunison, not that you are, but for crying out loud, you are "acting" like an idiot! Own up, to what you said! Who are you, Bill Clinton?!

Shakyamunison
Shakyamunison, not that you are, but for crying out loud, you are "acting" like an idiot! Own up, to what you said! Who are you, Bill Clinton?!

hysterical

You have to admit, I did got you on a technicality. laughing

But to tell you the truth. I wasn't trying to insult Christianity when I said that Chuck Norris would have to be nailed to a cross, and then wait 2000 years for his return. I really was giving chickenlover98 a bad time. Him and this Chuck Norris thing was just starting to get old.

laughing However, after this, I think I will join the church of Chuck Norris. laughing

ushomefree
Excellent down-play; you should not join the Church of Chuck Norris, but rather, be a lawyer, and be a weasel all your life, Buddhist.

chickenlover98
So, is telling the truth dodging to you?

But I never insult Christianity; I insulted a friend of mine. All I said yes to was the possibility that someone might be insulted. That is not saying I insulted Christianity.

So, why are you insulted? shweet i have friends Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance laughing laughing

chickenlover98
hysterical

You have to admit, I did got you on a technicality. laughing

But to tell you the truth. I wasn't trying to insult Christianity when I said that Chuck Norris would have to be nailed to a cross, and then wait 2000 years for his return. I really was giving chickenlover98 a bad time. Him and this Chuck Norris thing was just starting to get old.

laughing However, after this, I think I will join the church of Chuck Norris. laughing you will be welcomed with open arms and you will be roundhouse free my brother big grin

chickenlover98
Excellent down-play; you should not join the Church of Chuck Norris, but rather, be a lawyer, and be a weasel all your life, Buddhist. wow see thats buddhism hostile. careful he'll throw a jelly donut at you laughing laughing laughing

did i mention that theres a giant purple deathsquirrel on my porch?

ushomefree
It is impressive seeing someone feed off their own emotions.

chickenlover98
It is impressive seeing someone feed off their own emotions. its more impressive to see someone believe their own bullshit smokin'

Shakyamunison
its more impressive to see someone believe their own bullshit smokin'

Hey! Are you insulting Christianity? mad

laughing

chickenlover98
Hey! Are you insulting Christianity? mad

laughing yes stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
maybe stick out tongue

roll eyes (sarcastic) It would have been funnier if you had said yes.

chickenlover98
roll eyes (sarcastic) It would have been funnier if you had said yes. happy?

anaconda
would be the best alternative

Grand_Moff_Gav
There are worse things than Insulting Christianity, and that is being an Insult to Christianity.

Shakyamunison
There are worse things than Insulting Christianity, and that is being an Insult to Christianity.

How can something as big as Christianity be insulted?

Bardock42
How can something as big as Christianity be insulted? Christianity, you suck!

Done.

inimalist
How can something as big as Christianity be insulted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

(although... he wasn't TRYING to be insulting...)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

(although... he wasn't TRYING to be insulting...)

I still don't see why a world wide religion would care what a single artist says.

They do protest too much.

inimalist
I still don't see why a world wide religion would care what a single artist says.

They do protest too much.

fair enough, but you would be hard pressed to find Christians who don't find it insulting I'm sure.

Aside from Serrano himself, who is a Catholic.

And also, a 'religion' cannot be offended as if it is an individual. Insulting a religion would be either a) insulting the fundamental principals, even if nobody cares or b) insulting a certain percentage of people within a religion, even if the offense is non-religious.

Deja~vu
I think it's more the Catholic church and it's branches that asks you to include titles in their names.......OR........very fundamentalists churches with Brother or Sister titles.

Most places that I have visited don't really ask you to do it. I just say "Hi Ron Billy Bob." j/k

Actually I don't visit many services anymore and the ones I do, we just call each other by our first names. They are places of worship that many people wouldn't except anyway. They don't really teach worship as much as they teach how to love each other and treat others with respect.

Boris
I'd only ever be dealing with Catholic priests so yes I would call them Father.. whatever, or Bishop whatever.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by anaconda
would be the best alternative

And I thought you were very friendly. sad

anaconda
I am, but I can take only so much of the gobbling of a "clergyman"

lil bitchiness
The chances of me speaking to the Pope are very slim.

When I speak to rabbi, I refer to him as Rabbi, when I speak to Imam, I refer to him as 'imam', and with priest, I refer to him as father or priest.

Its a sign of respect.

Deja~vu
What about a Nun. Would anyone call a Nun mother?

SpearofDestiny
I.e.

Yes. It is out of respect. I have no problem with it.

Deja~vu
I never call anyone Father or Mother in a Catholic church and the kinds of places I do visit, we just call each other by our first names. Though there are times in the past when I've called people Pastor.

Shakyamunison
I never call anyone Father or Mother in a Catholic church and the kinds of places I do visit, we just call each other by our first names. Though there are times in the past when I've called people Pastor.

What about your Father or Mother? confused

Deja~vu
That's why I don't call Caltholic Priests and Nuns Father or Mother. They're not my father or mother.

Shakyamunison
That's why I don't call Caltholic Priests and Nuns Father or Mother. They're not my father or mother.

I have some important news for you. Remember that convent you lived next to when you were a kid? laughing

Deja~vu
eek!

Holy Mother of God!!

I'm a sinners child.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.