Grant Morrison vs. Geoff Johns.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Best writer at DC.

Can't say both.

Pick one. 313

Tetragrammaton
Johns

This isn't even a hard choice either.

Endrict Nuul
Johns

xmarksthespot
Johns.

starlock
Johns

Erik-Lensherr
It depends.

If you're searching for a very good and entertaining story, Geoff Johns's work is the one you should read. His work on JSA, Flash and many other prove that.

On the other hand, if you want a more complex story, with subtext and most of the times even philosophical aspects, Grant Morrison shouldn't dissapoint you.

I like both smile

LORD B
johns,dont like morrissons ego as well

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by Erik-Lensherr
It depends.

If you're searching for a very good and entertaining story, Geoff Johns's work is the one you should read. His work on JSA, Flash and many other prove that.

On the other hand, if you want a more complex story, with subtext and most of the times even philosophical aspects, Grant Morrison shouldn't dissapoint you.

I like both smile

Disqualified....stated in the first post that you can't pick both.

Erik-Lensherr
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Disqualified....stated in the first post that you can't pick both.

mmm....
Morrison
Johns
Hard to pick one.
You're just doing this because you hate Morrison's Batman and you love Geoff Hal Jordan. Bah!

smile

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Best writer at DC.

Can't say both.

Pick one. 313

I pick the 4th option, which I think is from your evil twin. evil face

I'll give my answer after Final Crisis.

Tetragrammaton
Originally posted by TricksterPriest

If Darkseid gets a bunch of high feats, Morrison has your vote I'm guessing.

WrathfulDwarf
mmm....
Morrison
Johns
Hard to pick one.
You're just doing this because you hate Morrison's Batman and you love Geoff Hal Jordan. Bah!

smile

wink

Endrict Nuul
mmm....
Morrison
Johns
Hard to pick one.

smile

Nope, don't read that Batman. However Morrison was good on Authority. I only like Johns because of the big events.....but I am only bugging you about being disqualified.

Endrict Nuul

Yeah, where is WET?

Erik-Lensherr
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Nope, don't read that Batman. However Morrison was good on Authority. I only like Johns because of the big events.....but I am only bugging you about being disqualified.

In case you didn't notice, there is a pool, and what I shown was from it.

Endrict Nuul
In case you didn't notice, there is a pool, and what I shown was from it.

Oh ok...

llagrok
Johns.

Bad Ash231
edit

DigiMark007
Is this only their work with DC? Or both of them as writers in general?

Johns has done more, and probably better, DC-specific work. Take their entire careers and I might lean toward Morrison.

Symmetric Chaos
I simply happen to enjoy the types of stories Morrison creates.

roughrider
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Is this only their work with DC? Or both of them as writers in general?

Johns has done more, and probably better, DC-specific work. Take their entire careers and I might lean toward Morrison.

That's my general feeling. Morrison might be so brilliant on certain titles, reaching great heights for groundbreaking storytelling. Johns might never be that experimental, but he does solid work on a great variety of titles; sort of like Peter David over at Marvel. Morrison's style can turn you off sometimes, just like Brian Bendis.

tjcoady
Johns is a competent, creative, original, and fun writer. I love the hell out of most of his books, and he ALWAYS turns in a good issue.

Morrison, on the other hand, wrote The Invisibles (best comic series, ever), Animal Man (second best), the Doom Patrol (third best), Arkaham Asylum, Seaguy, Vimanarama, Kid Eternity....

And while I'm a little disappointed with his current run on Batman (with the exception of the PHENEMONAL club of heroes arc), Morrison is consistently in the top three writers in the entire comics field.

I'm a huge Morrison fan.

Soljer

If you wait till after Final Crisis, it's only fair to wait till after Blackest Night.

If you wait till after Blackest Night, it's only fair to wait till after Morrison's next project.

If you wait till after...

Get the point? Grow a pair and have an opinion.

Tetragrammaton
Originally posted by Soljer
If you wait till after Final Crisis, it's only fair to wait till after Blackest Night.

If you wait till after Blackest Night, it's only fair to wait till after Morrison's next project.

http://i28.tinypic.com/111piye.gif

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Soljer

hmm Fair point. Morrison. Seven Soldiers blew my mind when I read it. And I'm just getting into Animal Man. And his JLA run was monstrous in it's scale. srug

WrathfulDwarf
DCU #0 was good.

I think this duo will deliver the goods in the end.

Keep it going.

jumpmann
I acknowledge Morrison is the better writer and has done more for the medium than any current "popular writer", so I voted for him but Johns would be my personal favorite writer at the moment. Flash, JSA, GL, he just writes fun superhero books that are exactly what I picture as "the perfect idea" at the time. Though I don't know how All Star Superman could be any better either.

I'd like to say tough decision...but it wasn't.

DigiMark007
Clearly Final Crisis was Johns' baby. Morrison's an awesome writer, but isn't as entrenched with DC as Johns. But I love that between the two of them they're producing a crapload of the FC tie-ins.

Eon Blue
Grant Morrison.

manjaro
Johns only cuz my comic guy knows him....like has his number in his cell knows him....though he usually swears him to secrecy he gives him the low down on storylines months in advance so he knows how to order.....no joke, scouts honor

Cartesian Doubt
Grant Morisson by a mile !!!!!!!!!

His ideas are just that much cooler !

Cartesian Doubt
Clearly Final Crisis was Johns' baby. Morrison's an awesome writer, but isn't as entrenched with DC as Johns. But I love that between the two of them they're producing a crapload of the FC tie-ins.

Rubbish .... Morisson has wanted to write this since his WW3 arc. He was going to do something simillar instead of Identity Crisis which involved Hyper Time, but Metzler got the green light.

WrathfulDwarf
This poll started with Johns in the lead. Now Morrison is coming back. laughing out loud

Raoul
ATM? johns, body of work in total? morrison, so yeah, morrison...

Cartesian Doubt
On the whole Morissons stuff is just ... better

All star Superman > Geoff Johns Superman
J.L.A. > J.S.A.
New X-men > Teen Titans
Animal Man + Morissons Flash > The Flash
Marvel Boy = Green Lantern
Doom Patrol > Geoff Johns Avengers
Aztec < Boostergold
Invisbles > Vision mini
The Filth
Kid Eternity
Fantastic Four (mini)

IMO the only person who writes better comics than Morison is Warren Ellis.

llagrok
Marvel Boy = Green Lantern?

HAVE AT THEE!!!

Avlon
Morrison turned Plastic Man into a respectable member of the JLA and made Aquaman almost seem dangerous...

That alone should be rewarded.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
On the whole Morissons stuff is just ... better

All star Superman > Geoff Johns Superman

This is just my observation. But I think Johns just doesn't connect much with Superman like other writers. I took notice of that during the Sinestro War when the battle shifted to Earth. Superman should have been at the frontlines but was pretty much left for certain panels.

I give props to Morrison for keeping Batman within his detective skills. But Paul Dini pen is mightier at TEC...so yeah...

Raoul
i thought johns' action run recently (that was concluded in the annual) was very well written... while i agree kal should be at the forefront, it was a gl book, and i think johns is a smart enough man to know that if superman had been a big player in the resolution of the sin corps arc, gl fans wouldnt have been happy...

Zeitgeist
Morrison.

He's done major work with some characters I seriously like... and I like his stories more. Perhaps for sub genre more than anything else, but, eh..

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Raoul
i thought johns' action run recently (that was concluded in the annual) was very well written... while i agree kal should be at the forefront, it was a gl book, and i think johns is a smart enough man to know that if superman had been a big player in the resolution of the sin corps arc, gl fans wouldnt have been happy...

Yeah, that's also true...haven't read the annual yet..but I'm going to...

Raoul
Yeah, that's also true...haven't read the annual yet..but I'm going to...

uhuh

WrathfulDwarf
uhuh

You won't belive this but....

....I haven't read a single comic since Countdown #3.

Yeah, my schedule have been disrupted by GTA IV. big grin

Raoul
You won't belive this but....

....I haven't read a single comic since Countdown #3.

Yeah, my schedule have been disrupted by GTA IV. big grin

i love gta 4... i actually only started catching up on 3 weeks of comics on wednesday because of it...

WrathfulDwarf
Hehehe....

It took Morrison 3 issues of FC to make the story interesting.

It took Johns 1 issue of Legion to make the story interesting.

You get quality over quantitiy. evil face

Philosophía
Grant's story was interesting with issue 1 and so far, imo, the main-series are better than the tie-ins.

Dr Hackenbush
these are my favorite two writers atm, but you know, it took me a few minutes to compare their works, I typically like the creativity of Johns more...

Martian_mind
Geoff brought back Hal.

Morrison introduced Damien

Morrison in a stomp no expression

shifty

DigiMark007
GTA IV

thumb down

Raoul
GTA IV

thumb down

well, with a sig like that, maybe gta 4 offended your delicate sensibilities...

KK the Great
Hard to say.

They've both suffered so greatly from hubris in recent years.

Boy Blue
well, with a sig like that, maybe gta 4 offended your delicate sensibilities... ZOMGITSPAUL!

Superherovandal
Originally posted by KK the Great
Hard to say.

They've both suffered so greatly from hubris in recent years. When has Geoff Johns suffered from arrogance?? Grant Morrisson I can understand. but GJ where is that statement coming from?

Almighty Bauer
Both are awesome. However, Morrison's Batman's starting to annoy me. He appears to "get" the character about as well as Joel Schumacher. OK, so he wrote Arkham Asylum, but, to be honest, I'd rather have a slightly less crazy Batman, and certainly a complete lack of what I shall describe, accurately or not, as "Batman 4 Joker" shit.
My tangent aside, Johns wins for JSA and Green Lantern. Morrison loses because of Batman.

WrathfulDwarf
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/120810-Geoff-JSA-Departure.html

Why can't it be Morrison leaving Batman? It's just not fair! sad

Endrict Nuul
I am getting tired of this threads.....There is a writers thread for a reason.....mad roll eyes (sarcastic)

Raoul
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/120810-Geoff-JSA-Departure.html

Why can't it be Morrison leaving Batman? It's just not fair! sad

first booster gold and now this? damn...

WrathfulDwarf
Maybe Green Lantern?!

*BLASPHEMY!*

Raoul
Maybe Green Lantern?!

*BLASPHEMY!*

STFU

don't even joke about that shit.

uhuh

WrathfulDwarf
That's the magic of my Evil Twin. 313

Raoul
That's the magic of my Evil Twin. 313

ima stab him if he keeps it up... mad

Bardock42
Didn't read that much of either. I think Morrisson's Arkham Asylum and Filth are amazing works though and I haven't read anything by Johns close to that. But, again, I didn't read very much of either.

Bada's Palin
Alan Moore takes 'em both.

WrathfulDwarf
Kirby smashes Moore.

tjcoady
Moore LOVED Jack Kirby- wrote entire works dedicated to him. Check out "1969" from ABC or the last couple issues of "Supreme."

Digi
I seem to remember putting the kibosh on writer vs. threads a while back. This must have slipped through the cracks.

And yes, I closed a global mod thread. Bite me, WD.

stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.