TPM Maul Vs Darth Bane

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

laser7455
Who would win?

1.Saber
2.Force
3.All out

Elite Hunter
Bane beats Maul in all 3.

Darth Exodus
Agreed.

But what Bane is it (like it matters)?

Nebaris
Maul could possibly last a few seconds in a fight against pre-BoD trained Bane, but even then, it's doubtful. Ro2 Bane eats him in a heartbeat.

Darth Exodus
I don't know, those horns might make for some tough chewing.

Mabye two heartbeats.

truejedi
i dunno, i just read a book about maul (which kinda slants my view;, but then again i read both books about bane too, and i wasn't that impressed by his abilities) and it seems like maul had exactly ONE bad moment in all of star wars. That moment when he freezes for some reason right before Obi-Wan cuts him down. other than that, he seemed like an almost unstoppable assassin, though he was missing a lot of the ambition that seem to characterize sith. He had no plans to overthrow sidious, he merely wanted to kill jedi.
I'll take his extensive training and give him a draw in the light saber battle, but Bane whens the second two. (this is assuming that neither can use the force during their light saber battle, lets say they are surrounded by yammarlsi or however its spelled, because otherwise its partially a force battle as well. )

Darth Sexy
The force battle goes to bane. The saber battle will undoubtedly be epic but Bane would come out the victor.

Elite Hunter
Maul last a while in saber combat vs POD Bane which out of either incarnation of Bane is his best chance of winning.

Lt. Valerian
POD Bane: Bane would struggle with the lightsaber battle a lot, but will eventually emerge victorious. We have to take on account Bane does have experience battling someone who wields a double-bladed saber, which will definitely be an important factor in the fight.

ROT Bane: Maul will have an extremely hard time getting past the Orbalisks. He goes down after a difficult battle.

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Lt. Valerian
POD Bane: Bane would struggle with the lightsaber battle a lot, but will eventually emerge victorious. We have to take on account Bane does have experience battling someone who wields a double-bladed saber, which will definitely be an important factor in the fight.
Kasim?

Lt. Valerian
Who else?

Elite Hunter
My bad I read your post wrong.

Lt. Valerian
No problem.

Darth Exodus
In the saber battle, its the same deciding factor as shown in the Bane/Kas'im fight. Bane is just much better forcewise, so he takes the cake.

Nebaris
People look past exactly how much better Bane was than Kasi'm in lightsaber combat. Sure, he got beat when Kas'im possessed an unfair advantage on his side, but when they were on equal footing, Bane owned his ass, and Kas'im, by virtue of demonstrated abilities, is leagues beyond Maul in saber technique, stronger with the Force, and quicker in combat, whilst not as physically conditioned. PoD Bane would logically decimate Darth Maul based on his performance against Kas'im. Factor in how much greater Bane becomes, both with his Force abilities and with the lightsaber by Ro2, as well as the Orbalisk armour, and the fact that Bane's natural form would be alien to Maul, and a fight between Ro2 Bane and Maul would be absolute overkill.

Darth Sexy
Unfair advantage? LOL.. What was the unfair advantage jackass? Two blades? We always knew you were an idiotic bane fanboy but this is too much. You can't even begin to make a cogent argument when Bane is the topic. The ONLY thing that kept Bane from getting killed by Kas'im was his force mastery, and that meant nothing when Kas'im unleashed his dual blades. Overkill? This is why you're an idiotsmile

Gideon
I have Nebaris on ignore, and my respect for his (derided and ignored) intellect notwithstanding, I truthfully don't see how he comes to the conclusion that Kas'im's advantage was "unfair" as if he's a cheater in a football game; it's proposterous. Kas'im possessed far greater experience, technique, and expertise with a lightsaber than Bane. It's simple fact, as you say, Bane was only able to compete at all apparently by virtue of his superior attunement to the Force. Darth Maul was trained to be "one of the most dangerous Sith apprentices in history" -- and as Nai Fohl has provided for us before, that would include the likes of Bane as well -- and his "physical and Force assisted abilities were pushed to the utmost" as well as being an undisputed champion of melee and martial combat (his technique curbstomping Bane's own). Add to the fact that he was able to, despite being exhausted, tap into enough rage to pose a threat to the most powerful Sith Lord ever (Sidious) in combat, as well as handily defeat Anoon Bondara, a Jedi whose technique with a lightsaber was "second to none" in a time that Mace Windu, Count Dooku, and Master Yoda were among the Order (Lucas's "the prime of the Jedi"wink. Finally, according to Fight Saber, being a master of Juyo requires being a high level master of other forms.

darthsith19
Hey, we should all put him on ignore, then no one will ever see his posts again and he would have no point being here.

skywalker833
lol big grin

DarthCuddles
Darth Maul wins in sabre contest due to the fact he rivals sidious
Bane wins in force and in all out.

Tangible God
Originally posted by DarthCuddles
Darth Maul wins in sabre contest due to the fact he rivals sidious Yeah...no.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Tangible God
Yeah...no.

Yeah...yes.

Obviously not in Force power, but in terms of fighting skill and swordsmanship I'd say Maul is considerably better than Sidious.

Is Sidious a dangerous opponent in combat? Absolutely, but that's mostly due to his power in the Force, not his sabre skill.

It seems to me that people often seem to underestimate Maul.

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Yeah...yes.

Obviously not in Force power, but in terms of fighting skill and swordsmanship I'd say Maul is considerably better than Sidious.

Is Sidious a dangerous opponent in combat? Absolutely, but that's mostly due to his power in the Force, not his sabre skill.

It seems to me that people often seem to underestimate Maul.

... dude, NO.

SIDIOUS is considerably better than Maul in terms of lightsaber combat- this is displayed by how Sidious was capable- before the time period of TPM, completely outclass Maul in terms of lightsaber combat. Maul was capable of causing Sidious to temporarily fight for his life, but that was only due to him being surprised. And he subsequently disarmed Maul with a TRAINING saber- and that's not even beginning to speak of the complete awe that Maul had about Sidious' fighting skill.

Also, later on, Sidious was capable, at the points of RotS- despite being 'rusty'- WTFpwn three of the order's finest swordsman within the space of 10 seconds, effortlessly. Meanwhile, when Maul faced a similar adversary- Qui-Gon Jinn- it took him a certain while to defeat Qui-Gon. Subsequently, Maul was put on his ass by an enraged Padawan (albeit a talented one).

That's not even mentioning that Sidious could stalemate Yoda in lightsaber combat- while Yoda was confirmed to be the most powerful Jedi up to that point in the RotS novel.

While I seriously doubt Sidious would WTFpwn Maul in lightsaber combat, Maul is slower, less masterful, less experienced... the list goes on. The only advantage Maul has is his vastly superior physical conditioning, which is somewhat negated by Sidious' far superior mastery of the force.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
... dude, NO.

SIDIOUS is considerably better than Maul in terms of lightsaber combat- this is displayed by how Sidious was capable- before the time period of TPM, completely outclass Maul in terms of lightsaber combat. Maul was capable of causing Sidious to temporarily fight for his life, but that was only due to him being surprised. And he subsequently disarmed Maul with a TRAINING saber- and that's not even beginning to speak of the complete awe that Maul had about Sidious' fighting skill.

Also, later on, Sidious was capable, at the points of RotS- despite being 'rusty'- WTFpwn three of the order's finest swordsman within the space of 10 seconds, effortlessly. Meanwhile, when Maul faced a similar adversary- Qui-Gon Jinn- it took him a certain while to defeat Qui-Gon. Subsequently, Maul was put on his ass by an enraged Padawan (albeit a talented one).

That's not even mentioning that Sidious could stalemate Yoda in lightsaber combat- while Yoda was confirmed to be the most powerful Jedi up to that point in the RotS novel.

While I seriously doubt Sidious would WTFpwn Maul in lightsaber combat, Maul is slower, less masterful, less experienced... the list goes on. The only advantage Maul has is his vastly superior physical conditioning, which is somewhat negated by Sidious' far superior mastery of the force.

In that 'training sabre' incident, Maul could barely stand up. He had spent months on a remote planet being pursued by assasin droids, was exhausted and had a major wound that had become infected. Hardly the peak of his strength.

Besides, as you yourself point out, that was before the time period of TPM- meaning Maul would have improved after that.

Sidious beat those Council members due to his Force-powered speed, not his sword skills. While he did do well against Yoda in sabre combat, it wasn't a stalemate. Yoda pretty much had the upper hand throughout the sabre part of the fight- notice how he wins three sabrelocks. He realised that he couldn't win a swordfight against Yoda so did the smart thing and switched to ranged combat by hurling those pods at him.

Faunus
I want to know what book had Maul duel Sidious, because it wasn't Shadow Hunter.

Gideon
Originally posted by Faunus
I want to know what book had Maul duel Sidious, because it wasn't Shadow Hunter.

It was Episode 1: Journal Darth Maul or someshit.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Gideon
It was Episode 1: Journal Darth Maul or someshit.

That's the one.

Master Crimzon
In that 'training sabre' incident, Maul could barely stand up. He had spent months on a remote planet being pursued by assasin droids, was exhausted and had a major wound that had become infected. Hardly the peak of his strength.

Elaborate one WHAT wound, exactly.

And note that Sith Lords- unlike Jedi- actually feed off the pain inflicted upon them in order to enhance their power. To quote from the RotS novel (this is regarding Sidious):

"Palpatine staggered, snarling, but the blistering energy that loured from his hands only intensified.

He fed the power with his pain."

Pain is a common way to allow the Sith to enhance their abilities- combine rage with that, and it's actually close to being the ideal conditions for a Sith to increase their power.

And, you also have the fact that Sidious never wanted to kill Maul, yet he still disarmed him with a friggin' training saber, causing Maul to realize percisely how outclassed he was.

Palpatine staggered, snarling, but the blistering energy that loured from his hands only intensified.

Besides, as you yourself point out, that was before the time period of TPM- meaning Maul would have improved after that.

The same would apply to Sidious. While you have the fact that Sidious' technical skills with a lightsaber are likely to have decreased between the point of TPM and RotS, his speed and force-enhanced attributes would only logically improve, due to him extensively training his force mastery during his term as Chancellor.

Sidious beat those Council members due to his Force-powered speed, not his sword skills. While he did do well against Yoda in sabre combat, it wasn't a stalemate. Yoda pretty much had the upper hand throughout the sabre part of the fight- notice how he wins three sabrelocks. He realised that he couldn't win a swordfight against Yoda so did the smart thing and switched to ranged combat by hurling those pods at him.

... don't give me that bullshit. Those Council Members were called some of the greatest swordsman in the history of the Jedi Order, were combat-savvy and extensively trained. Seeing as a considerable part of being a swordsman is attunement to the force, I see no reason why the Council Members would be particularly lacking in the force department. While it's obivious that Sidious' insane speed came into play, so did his unpredictable swordsmanship. A person with no skill whatsoever cannot dispatch a superb swordsman through speed alone.

Contrary to common opinion, the duel with Yoda was a stalemate. It's true that Yoda certainly broke all the saberlocks- but if that was something to decide who is superior in swordsmanship, Vader would be the greatest swordsman in history. For example, despite the fact that Obi-Wan had the upperhand and was clearly outclassing Grievous in their fight, Grievous still broke the saberlock. Plus, Yoda's short blade would give him leverage.

Aside from that, you have the fact that Sidious was on the offensive for the majority of the fight, and Yoda's style- Ataru- is an extremely offensive style, alreading displaying Sidious' skills. While I'm hardly saying Sidious > Yoda in lightsabers, Yoda couldn't defeat Sidious, either- the same would also apply to Sidious, of course. However, Yoda's offensive force skills are severly lacking in the sense that he is a lightside and doesn't have access to the same arsenal of offensive powers as Sidious does- his best chance to kill Sidious was with a lightsaber. That's why HE didn't jump away.

Another fact is that Sidious was confirmed by Nick Gillard to be a superior swordsman to RotS Obi-Wan, who- 13 years previously- displayed the ability to knock Maul on his ass while pissed off, and Maul could only win the saber duel with him via a force push. Of course, regular TPM Obi-Wan isn't as good as Maul, but he's fairly close- his next incarnation, 13 years later, with the supreme mastery of Soresu is bound to surpass Maul. And Sidious is beyond him.

There is absolutely no reason to believe why Maul could- I repeat- take out a faster, more experienced, more skillful, and smarter fighter.

chilled monkey
Elaborate one WHAT wound, exactly.

Sorry, can't remember. I have to admit that I'm going off of memory here.

And note that Sith Lords- unlike Jedi- actually feed off the pain inflicted upon them in order to enhance their power. To quote from the RotS novel (this is regarding Sidious):

"Palpatine staggered, snarling, but the blistering energy that loured from his hands only intensified.

He fed the power with his pain."

Pain is a common way to allow the Sith to enhance their abilities- combine rage with that, and it's actually close to being the ideal conditions for a Sith to increase their power.

And, you also have the fact that Sidious never wanted to kill Maul, yet he still disarmed him with a friggin' training saber, causing Maul to realize percisely how outclassed he was.

Palpatine staggered, snarling, but the blistering energy that loured from his hands only intensified.

True, but you're talking about a brief burst of pain in the heat of battle, not a prolonged injury. A Sith with, for example, multiple serious wounds will still require medical treatment. Over time they will start to weaken. They can draw on the Force for power, but only so much.

Maul (as I remember, I could be mistaken) had a serious infection and a deep wound that he'd had for some time. Sith aren't Immortal; there's a limit on how long they can sustain themselves with the Force.

The same would apply to Sidious. While you have the fact that Sidious' technical skills with a lightsaber are likely to have decreased between the point of TPM and RotS, his speed and force-enhanced attributes would only logically improve, due to him extensively training his force mastery during his term as Chancellor.

Precisely. That's my entire point. Sidious is a danger in combat primarily due to his Force-powers, not his technical skill with a blade. You just said exactly that.

... don't give me that bullshit. Those Council Members were called some of the greatest swordsman in the history of the Jedi Order, were combat-savvy and extensively trained. Seeing as a considerable part of being a swordsman is attunement to the force, I see no reason why the Council Members would be particularly lacking in the force department. While it's obivious that Sidious' insane speed came into play, so did his unpredictable swordsmanship. A person with no skill whatsoever cannot dispatch a superb swordsman through speed alone.

No need for foul language. And who the heck said ANYTHING about "no skill whatsoever."

Contrary to common opinion, the duel with Yoda was a stalemate. It's true that Yoda certainly broke all the saberlocks- but if that was something to decide who is superior in swordsmanship, Vader would be the greatest swordsman in history. For example, despite the fact that Obi-Wan had the upperhand and was clearly outclassing Grievous in their fight, Grievous still broke the saberlock. Plus, Yoda's short blade would give him leverage.

Aside from that, you have the fact that Sidious was on the offensive for the majority of the fight, and Yoda's style- Ataru- is an extremely offensive style, alreading displaying Sidious' skills. While I'm hardly saying Sidious > Yoda in lightsabers, Yoda couldn't defeat Sidious, either- the same would also apply to Sidious, of course. However, Yoda's offensive force skills are severly lacking in the sense that he is a lightside and doesn't have access to the same arsenal of offensive powers as Sidious does- his best chance to kill Sidious was with a lightsaber. That's why HE didn't jump away.

Okay, I'll grant that one.

Another fact is that Sidious was confirmed by Nick Gillard to be a superior swordsman to RotS Obi-Wan, who- 13 years previously- displayed the ability to knock Maul on his ass while pissed off, and Maul could only win the saber duel with him via a force push. Of course, regular TPM Obi-Wan isn't as good as Maul, but he's fairly close- his next incarnation, 13 years later, with the supreme mastery of Soresu is bound to surpass Maul. And Sidious is beyond him.

No offence to Mr. Gillard, but was he referring to 'pure' sword skill, or was he including factors such as Force powers, speed etc.

If it's the former, then okay, fair enough.

Plus, if Maul had survived, his skills would have increased over those 13 years as well.

There is absolutely no reason to believe why Maul could- I repeat- take out a faster, more experienced, more skillful, and smarter fighter.

Put the two of them in a fight where neither can use the Force, and who do you think would win?

Master Crimzon
Sorry, can't remember. I have to admit that I'm going off of memory here.

No problem ^^. But until you can prove it, we're going to have to ignore that point.

True, but you're talking about a brief burst of pain in the heat of battle, not a prolonged injury. A Sith with, for example, multiple serious wounds will still require medical treatment. Over time they will start to weaken. They can draw on the Force for power, but only so much.

Maul (as I remember, I could be mistaken) had a serious infection and a deep wound that he'd had for some time. Sith aren't Immortal; there's a limit on how long they can sustain themselves with the Force.

Unfortunately, you misunderstand the fact that they didn't use the force to get over the pain; rather, they used to pain to better unleash their power.

Even a normal human being can use pain to empower oneself- of course, there's a certain amount of pain one can take before losing their power, but until you can prove the fact that Maul was injured to the point that he could barely even move, the fact of the matter is that pain could merely be used to feed a Sith Lord's power. A pained, enraged Maul is significantly more dangerous than a calm, regular state Maul.

An animal is most dangerous when it's wounded. You should know that.

Precisely. That's my entire point. Sidious is a danger in combat primarily due to his Force-powers, not his technical skill with a blade. You just said exactly that.

I -think- you misunderstand the concept of swordfighting in Star Wars.

I'll give you the perfect example; Dooku was miles ahead of Anakin in terms of technical prowess, but, nevertheless, Anakin owned him in a lightsaber duel. This is due to vastly superior physical strength, raw power, and stamina (Anakin is confirmed to get only more powerful as a fight continues)- as you can see, even a person of inferior technical skill can defeat a person of more technical skill.

Now you have Sidious, who is confirmed to be a "Master of every weapon and every form", and had considerably more time to refine himself than Maul (even if we exclude his 13 years of 'rustiness', he still had roughly 50 years to develop himself while Maul had... what? 15, 20 years?), and who vastly surpasses Maul in terms of force mastery. Force mastery, in close-combat, will allow one to reach incredible speeds, strength, and reflexes- and that's just as important as one's technical skill in dueling, if not more so.

No need for foul language. And who the heck said ANYTHING about "no skill whatsoever."

I don't consider bullshit 'foul language' ^^. It's my way of speaking- I didn't mean to offend you in any sort of way. 'No skill whatsoever' is an exaggerration, as you stated that Sidious defeated the Jedi masters exclusively due to his speed, and I said that there is at least some technical skill behind it.

Okay, I'll grant that one.

Thank you.

No offence to Mr. Gillard, but was he referring to 'pure' sword skill, or was he including factors such as Force powers, speed etc.

If it's the former, then okay, fair enough.

Plus, if Maul had survived, his skills would have increased over those 13 years as well.

'Pure' swordsmanship is only one aspect of swordfighting, as I had proven above, and so I believe that he i referring to overall swordsmanship, which is a combination of technical skill and attunement ot the force (giving the force-enhanced attributes). Sidious is certainly not lacking in the technical aspect of swordsmanship, but I doubt Maul is far behind him- Sidious is 'Teh shit' in swordsmanship because of his almost unparalleled attunement to the force and dark side mastery, backed up by his considerable technical skill.

Speaking out of memory, wasn't it stated somewhat that Maul reached his peak? Other than that, yes, he would've obiviously increased in power. But could he surpass Sidious? Hardly. Seeing as Sidious would have also increased his force attributes, force mastery, and clearly has more raw power than Maul.

Put the two of them in a fight where neither can use the Force, and who do you think would win?

Neither can use the force? In the sense than force-enhanced speed and such skills aren't allowed? Maul would likely win, because Sidious is- without the force- an old man with a considerable degree of technical skill with a sword. However, such a fight is unfair and isn't like the Star Wars duels.

Oh, and for the purpose of this thread, either one of Bane's incarnations would defeat Maul in all three areas of combat, but in terms of saber skills, I'm sure Maul would give him a difficult time.

chilled monkey
No problem ^^. But until you can prove it, we're going to have to ignore that point.

Fair enough.

Unfortunately, you misunderstand the fact that they didn't use the force to get over the pain; rather, they used to pain to better unleash their power.

Even a normal human being can use pain to empower oneself- of course, there's a certain amount of pain one can take before losing their power, but until you can prove the fact that Maul was injured to the point that he could barely even move, the fact of the matter is that pain could merely be used to feed a Sith Lord's power. A pained, enraged Maul is significantly more dangerous than a calm, regular state Maul.

An animal is most dangerous when it's wounded. You should know that.

Ah, I see. Good point about the 'wounded animal' metaphor. I am quite sure that at one point Maul did state that he could barely stand (it was told from his POV). Sidious goaded him about this, claiming to have trained another apprentice who had completed the same test and sustained only a flesh wound. But I agree that it's best not to use this without proof.

I -think- you misunderstand the concept of swordfighting in Star Wars.

I'll give you the perfect example; Dooku was miles ahead of Anakin in terms of technical prowess, but, nevertheless, Anakin owned him in a lightsaber duel. This is due to vastly superior physical strength, raw power, and stamina (Anakin is confirmed to get only more powerful as a fight continues)- as you can see, even a person of inferior technical skill can defeat a person of more technical skill.

Now you have Sidious, who is confirmed to be a "Master of every weapon and every form", and had considerably more time to refine himself than Maul (even if we exclude his 13 years of 'rustiness', he still had roughly 50 years to develop himself while Maul had... what? 15, 20 years?), and who vastly surpasses Maul in terms of force mastery. Force mastery, in close-combat, will allow one to reach incredible speeds, strength, and reflexes- and that's just as important as one's technical skill in dueling, if not more so.

I realise that. It's just that when I compare characters I try to look at their abilities separately. That is I try to determine if their edge comes from Force power, skill, experience etc, in order to determine exactly WHY they'd win in a battle. In your example Anakin won, not because he was better with a sabre, but because he was more powerful physically and with the Force.

I don't consider bullshit 'foul language' ^^. It's my way of speaking- I didn't mean to offend you in any sort of way. 'No skill whatsoever' is an exaggerration, as you stated that Sidious defeated the Jedi masters exclusively due to his speed, and I said that there is at least some technical skill behind it.

No worries, I understand that's just the way some people speak. I didn't mean to imply that Sidious killed those Masters purely through speed, (sorry if it sounded that way), just that his speed was the main factor.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

'Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Pure' swordsmanship is only one aspect of swordfighting, as I had proven above, and so I believe that he i referring to overall swordsmanship, which is a combination of technical skill and attunement ot the force (giving the force-enhanced attributes). Sidious is certainly not lacking in the technical aspect of swordsmanship, but I doubt Maul is far behind him- Sidious is 'Teh shit' in swordsmanship because of his almost unparalleled attunement to the force and dark side mastery, backed up by his considerable technical skill.

Speaking out of memory, wasn't it stated somewhat that Maul reached his peak? Other than that, yes, he would've obiviously increased in power. But could he surpass Sidious? Hardly. Seeing as Sidious would have also increased his force attributes, force mastery, and clearly has more raw power than Maul.

In the TPM novel, Maul is described as 'a warrior at his peak,' as opposed to Qui-Gon, who is highly skilled but past his physical prime, and Obi-Wan who is physically more vital, but relatively lacking in combat experience (he is described as 'not battle-hardened'). Maul would have still improved with time though, simply due to having more experience, even if his technique was perfected.

Neither can use the force? In the sense than force-enhanced speed and such skills aren't allowed? Maul would likely win, because Sidious is- without the force- an old man with a considerable degree of technical skill with a sword. However, such a fight is unfair and isn't like the Star Wars duels.

Oh, and for the purpose of this thread, either one of Bane's incarnations would defeat Maul in all three areas of combat, but in terms of saber skills, I'm sure Maul would give him a difficult time.

On reflection that was a pretty bad example. As I say, I just meant to look at sword skill without the variable of Force ability. Although you could just as easily say that in such a situation Maul would have the advantage of being a younger, fitter and physically stronger man, so that doesn't work either.

I will admit that you're right about Sidious's sabre ability in relation to his apprentice. I still feel that Maul is under-rated a lot of the time though.

On-topic, I have to admit Bane most likely wins. Besides his much stronger Force-power, he has a good knowledge of how 'sabrestaffs' are used. Plus, he can channel his anger and power even better than usual by thinking "you remind me of Sirak." I agree that Maul will put up a good fight though.

Master Crimzon
Fair enough.

Ah, I see. Good point about the 'wounded animal' metaphor. I am quite sure that at one point Maul did state that he could barely stand (it was told from his POV). Sidious goaded him about this, claiming to have trained another apprentice who had completed the same test and sustained only a flesh wound. But I agree that it's best not to use this without proof.

I realise that. It's just that when I compare characters I try to look at their abilities separately. That is I try to determine if their edge comes from Force power, skill, experience etc, in order to determine exactly WHY they'd win in a battle. In your example Anakin won, not because he was better with a sabre, but because he was more powerful physically and with the Force.

No worries, I understand that's just the way some people speak. I didn't mean to imply that Sidious killed those Masters purely through speed, (sorry if it sounded that way), just that his speed was the main factor.

You're welcome.

'

In the TPM novel, Maul is described as 'a warrior at his peak,' as opposed to Qui-Gon, who is highly skilled but past his physical prime, and Obi-Wan who is physically more vital, but relatively lacking in combat experience (he is described as 'not battle-hardened'). Maul would have still improved with time though, simply due to having more experience, even if his technique was perfected.

On reflection that was a pretty bad example. As I say, I just meant to look at sword skill without the variable of Force ability. Although you could just as easily say that in such a situation Maul would have the advantage of being a younger, fitter and physically stronger man, so that doesn't work either.

I will admit that you're right about Sidious's sabre ability in relation to his apprentice. I still feel that Maul is under-rated a lot of the time though.

On-topic, I have to admit Bane most likely wins. Besides his much stronger Force-power, he has a good knowledge of how 'sabrestaffs' are used. Plus, he can channel his anger and power even better than usual by thinking "you remind me of Sirak." I agree that Maul will put up a good fight though.

smile

I don't think Maul is exactly underestimated, in the sense that there are plenty of people on this site who find him to be hugely skilled- while I personally don't exactly think he's quite on the level of the PT's top tier, he comes very close, and is a highly prodigious lightsaber duelist.

HomoSuperior
Sidious beat those Council members due to his Force-powered speed, not his sword skills.

LOL, I'm surprised you didn't accuse this guy of being me.

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by HomoSuperior
LOL, I'm surprised you didn't accuse this guy of being me.

He just sounded far too reasonable to be you.

HomoSuperior
Take that back. Now.

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by HomoSuperior
Take that back. Now.

I don't lie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.