Should Protests be allowed at the Olympics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
What do you guys think? Should politics and propaganda be allowed in this global sporting event?

What about other events like the World Cup...or the World Series...or Superbowl...or the NBA finals...or...oh, well, you get the idea.

Ushgarak
Well as for politics- all those old bullcrap mantras about sport being above or beyond politics are so tiresome. Politics is just people, and things related to people- sport can easily be political anyway, international sport ALWAYS has an element of politics to it... and staging the Olympics in China is, de facto, political right from the start, to the very core.

As for protests- depends on the extent. The games themselves should not be disrupted. I'd approve of boycotts though.

Wålshy
did you see the olympics and that guy in that costume ran and stopped that runner? stuff like that shouldnt be allowed but boycotts and other things that do not disrupt the actual games is ok

inimalist
everyone remembers the Iranian martial artist (one of the favorites to win the gold) who refused to fight an Israeli, on the grounds that Israel wasn't a nation, and was thus disqualified?

ya, my opinion is that politics and sports have never been seperate. Like Ush said, choosing China as the spot for the olympics was political in itself, there was hope it would reform human rights (instead child labour has been used to make olympic merchandise).

Strangelove
Um, I believe protests should be allowed anywhere.

As long as they don't incite to riot or encourage violence against a certain group.

jaden101
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well as for politics- all those old bullcrap mantras about sport being above or beyond politics are so tiresome. Politics is just people, and things related to people- sport can easily be political anyway, international sport ALWAYS has an element of politics to it... and staging the Olympics in China is, de facto, political right from the start, to the very core.

As for protests- depends on the extent. The games themselves should not be disrupted. I'd approve of boycotts though.

very well put...there has been political protests of sort at the olympics before...some obviously more extreme than others...Munich 1974 was as political as it gets

there was also the olympics in Nazi Germany...the Russian boycott during the cold war of the 1984 olympics in LA along with 14 other eastern bloc countries

the question is not whether protests should be allowed at the China games....it's whether or not they WILL be allowed...which is highly doubtful...

dadudemon
Well as for politics- all those old bullcrap mantras about sport being above or beyond politics are so tiresome.

Not "above and beyond", rather, they are a different element and shouldn't be terribly mixed up. Protests should not be allowed. Boycott the Olympics, protest at your capitol, but at the same time, don't disrupt others who ARE participating.

I don't get the impression that the IOC thinks that the Olympics are "above" drastic political issues..more like they have no place in the Olympics. Politics are a major part of the Olympics but the IOC as drawn a specific line when it comes to politics. These are in place to allow the participants to perform and represent their country as best as possible while also providing a form of security.

The writers of these rules did not drink pickle juice before they decided to talk about the rules. The rules are still being changed and added to because it is not perfect. That is one of the reasons for the IOC.

Politics is just people, and things related to people- sport can easily be political anyway, international sport ALWAYS has an element of politics to it... and staging the Olympics in China is, de facto, political right from the start, to the very core.

I fully agree. Well put.

red g jacks
my favorite was the time when those black competitors threw up a "black fist" after they won their medals and that white dude was stuck standing there like .......

i think that they should be allowed to protest outside in the parking lot or whatever. just hold up your little signs and pass out free tibet flyers outside so spectators can act interested for 5 mins, without interfering with the actual fun.

as far as boycotting china goes if you're really going to boycott the chinese you better get ready for a whole lot of boycotting... because the olympics is just the tip of the iceberg. the chinaman currently has america by the balls, without them we could very well fall on our faces.

ragesRemorse
I guess it depends on the country the Olympics are being held in and their laws.

On a side note, no country should boycott the olympics due to political or moral disagreements.

lil bitchiness
Doesn't country need to fulfil certain criteria in order to host Olympics?

We all know China bought the games. Just like numerous other countries previously.

I don't believe in disrupting the games, but protest all you like. I am all for free Tibet, but equally I know that if any country waged a war to free Tibet, those who are sticking 'Free Tibet' stickers on their car, would be pulling those off and sticking ''No War'' ones on.

willofthewisp
Peaceful protest is a form of expression that doesn't hurt anyone else. What these protestors don't understand is that resorting to violence makes them no better than the people they're calling oppressive. China does a lot of stuff I don't agree with, but if you're going to pick a place to hold the Olympic games that has never been part of any crimes against humanity in its whole history, you'll be hard-pressed to find a place.

Sanctuary
Originally posted by Strangelove

As long as they don't incite to riot or encourage violence against a certain group. That's what I'd say too.

Dark-Jaxx
Long as it doesn't interfere with the actual games.

Devil King

As long as they don't incite to riot or encourage violence against a certain group.

agreed.

To the topic: That they're taking place in China means we likely won't be seeing the level we would if the games were being held in Europe or North America.

Robtard
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Doesn't country need to fulfil certain criteria in order to host Olympics?

We all know China bought the games. Just like numerous other countries previously.

I don't believe in disrupting the games, but protest all you like. I am all for free Tibet, but equally I know that if any country waged a war to free Tibet, those who are sticking 'Free Tibet' stickers on their car, would be pulling those off and sticking ''No War'' ones on.

Funny, in a sad true way.

Devil King
Originally posted by red g jacks
the chinaman currently has america by the balls, without them we could very well fall on our faces.

It's mutual ball-handling. They need us as a market just as much as we need them as the mass producers of the products we purchase.

Personally, I think the US should adopt many of the same standards the EU has in regards to production standards. Not that they're perfect, by any means. In fact, if the US had any manufacturing standards, many right-wing pin heads wouldn't have the luxury of equating our miserable import standards coupled with China's knowledge that they have no production standards with the notion that the Chinqs are trying to kill us. If they don't care about their own people, I doubt they have in place a particular consideration when it comes to the citizens of other nations.

WrathfulDwarf

Ehh...no, not really "anywhere" I mean why hold a protest in the middle of a busy interception, or near a hospital, you know what I mean? Just do it somewhere in place more suitable for whatever cause the protest is about.

Devil King
I'm not sure that's what he meant by "anywhere".

KidRock
Protests should be allowed..why not.

Except for the hippy liberal college protester whining FREE TIBET! Those shitbags should get an ass kicking.

Devil King
Originally posted by KidRock

Except for the hippy liberal college protester whining FREE TIBET! Those shitbags should get an ass kicking.

****ing A! There won't be any peaceful protests in your mother-****ing country, roit! If they're peaceful, it'll look bad when the national guard releases the hounds on them and starts beating them with night sticks and high pressure water cannons. And who can have a really real protest without a GOD HATES **** sign, anyway?

Schecter
considering that protestors, peaceful or otherwise are routinely brutalized and slaughtered in china, i would certainly advise against it.

Robtard

Do you even know where Tibet is?

Rogue Jedi
Protesters should be allowed anywhere, as long as they keep control of themselves.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
What do you guys think? Should politics and propaganda be allowed in this global sporting event?

What about other events like the World Cup...or the World Series...or Superbowl...or the NBA finals...or...oh, well, you get the idea.

If the Chinese Constitution allows the right to assembly.

Originally posted by red g jacks
my favorite was the time when those black competitors threw up a "black fist" after they won their medals and that white dude was stuck standing there like .......

Yep, Mexico City 1968. I have the photograph hanging in my office and the whiteboy standing on the 3rd place spot looked pretty damn uncomfortable.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
If the Chinese Constitution allows the right to assembly.

Yep, Mexico City 1968. I have the photograph hanging in my office and the whiteboy standing on the 3rd place spot looked pretty damn uncomfortable. 2nd place if I can read correctly.

Quiero Mota
That's right.

Rogue Jedi
Dude should have thrown up a white fist.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Bardock42
2nd place if I can read correctly.

2nd place is for the 1st loser....313

Utrigita
Well China shouldn't even have been given the olympics in the first place imo, however I doesn't think a boycot is the way to archive better human rights and a larger degree of independence for Tibet. imo a Boycot against a given country when OL oriented is depending on two things, that's it a unified world performing the boycot and that the majority of the native population is aware of there being a problem, The first criteria isn't forfilled, The second is hard to gauge based on the level of information controlling from China but my assumption would be that the criteria isn't forfilled either, and if I remember correctly the only time where a Boycot have actually had a visible effect was in Southafrica

Protests however is fine by me, but the type of demonstration that the world have seen lately, with the flame being stolen ore extinguish and the sportsmen being covered with a ring of Policemen doesn't quiet illustrate the original idea with the olympic games.

KidRock
Originally posted by Robtard
Do you even know where Tibet is?

Sure do you?

Robtard
Sure do you?

Bordering SW of China.

KidRock
Bordering SW of China.

Very good Retard! Very good!

Robtard
Hey, at least I knew.

KidRock
Hey, at least I knew.

Yes, and we are all very proud of you for knowing.

Robtard
Yes, and we are all very proud of you for knowing.

Here, let me spell it out for you: I was accusing you of lying about knowing.

Rogue Jedi
easy, ladies.

superr
Just to make clear what has happened in tibet
It was independent from1911 to 1950 .In 1951 the chinese army started to invade.
THe Bejing government regards it as a province not an independent country,
in more recent years, they have encouraged settlement by ethnic chinese in overwhealming numbers.

Bardock42
So, are we proposing to take Tibet from China and install absolute Dalai Lama rule again?

WrathfulDwarf
Can we buy Tibet from China?

No, seriously...no joking...can the European or the US government can offer to buy the nation's indepence from China?

Can such a thing be done?

Even if it sounds stupid. Can it be done?

Bardock42
Can we buy Tibet from China?

No, seriously...no joking...can the European or the US government can offer to buy the nation's indepence from China?

Can such a thing be done?

Even if it sounds stupid. Can it be done? Probably. China doesn't seem too stuck up on morality really. They'd probably sell a province and all the people for some money.

WrathfulDwarf
Japan could pitch in with money too.

Money talks...

Bardock42
Japan could pitch in with money too.

Money talks... I don't want my money to be spend on that. So I hope you can count Germany out.

WrathfulDwarf
You can do it as charity....

Don't be a cheap bastard.

Bardock42
You can do it as charity....

Don't be a cheap bastard. No. I don't want Tibet to be free...I can spend that money on better things, like burning it or something.

WrathfulDwarf
No. I don't want Tibet to be free...I can spend that money on better things, like burning it or something.

Yeah, right!

Germans were interested in Tibet back in the 1930's.

Ask the Nazis.

Now come on... donate some euros, or franks, or wienerschnizel, or whatever currency you got in Germany.

Bardock42
Yeah, right!

Ask the Nazis.

Now come on... donate some euros, or franks, or wienerschnizel, or whatever currency you got in Germany. NO. I will even send some money to China with the condition to use it for the oppression of Tibet.

Schecter
NO. I will even send some money to China with the condition to use it for the oppression of Tibet.

where do i send a check?

Quiero Mota
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/WatchOut_02/Tibet.jpg

TRH

Jovan
Yeah, right!

Ask the Nazis.

Now come on... donate some euros, or franks, or wienerschnizel, or whatever currency you got in Germany.
They got Euros. And I read the nazis were interested in finding some sort of mythical place there... dunno what exactly anymore

WrathfulDwarf
The Olympics are almost here and the controversy is already brewing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSL5364632

There were some issues with the torch as it pass through India.

Will the protest get more attention than the games themselves?

This is going to be intense.

Blinky
I have a funny feeling something really bad is going to happen at the Olympics this year... I hope I am wrong.

Grand_Moff_Gav

I think China have got the propaganda well and truly covered.

Lord Melkor
Protests should be alllowed as long as games are not distrupted, I believe. Of course, whether these games should be held in China is entirely different case- it seems it is not really about human rights at this point, but pure entertainment and commerce. Which are also connected to politics.

And China would never sell part of "their" territory. They are pretty nationalistic right now.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
Protests should be alllowed as long as games are not distrupted, I believe. Of course, whether these games should be held in China is entirely different case- it seems it is not really about human rights at this point, but pure entertainment and commerce. Which are also connected to politics.

And China would never sell part of "their" territory. They are pretty nationalistic right now.

I disagree, I believe the right (especially considering China's record) to protest is paramount- even if it does disrupt the games.

After all, how can we even justify saying "the plight of the Tibetan People is horrible and I believe they should be allowed to voice their discontent...but I don't want it to interrupt the Triathlon"

TRH
Something really really bad is going to happen.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by TRH
Something really really bad is going to happen.

Yes, the Dali Lama is going to set himself on fire and become the first human torch to light the Olympic Games.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav

After all, how can we even justify saying "the plight of the Tibetan People is horrible and I believe they should be allowed to voice their discontent...but I don't want it to interrupt the Triathlon" That would be a pretty stupid thing to say, yes.

chillmeistergen
The olympics need livening up anyway, it's such a boring spectacle.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
The olympics need livening up anyway, it's such a boring spectacle.

Ironically we only remember the ones were political stuff happened.

Berlin 1936- Hitler
Moscow 1980- Noone went.
Los Angeles 1984- Soviet boycaught

Anyone remember, Athens, Sydeny, Atlanta, Barcelona etc etc...

Bardock42
Ironically we only remember the ones were political stuff happened.

Berlin 1936- Hitler
Moscow 1980- Noone went.
Los Angeles 1984- Soviet boycaught

Anyone remember, Athens, Sydeny, Atlanta, Barcelona etc etc...

Y-yeah? Well, I remember Sydney and Atlanta. Didn't watch Athens. And I don't really remember the ones you mentioned...I kinda wasn't born.

Besides, Atlanta had a bombing, remember?

Bicnarok

Phantom Zone

inimalist

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
preposterous

http://www.cpj.org/Briefings/2007/imprisoned_07/imprisoned_list_07.html

Meh, 2 is still pretty good for a country 1/4th the size of China.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Besides, Atlanta had a bombing, remember?

W-well N-no I D-didnt...

Bardock42
W-well N-no I D-didnt...

Witty.

inimalist
Meh, 2 is still pretty good for a country 1/4th the size of China.

from the looks of it, population would be very poorly correlated with journalists in prison.

inimalist
blah, couldn't get the edit in time:

for instance: http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=24025

America - #44, China #163

funny, Canada (18) and Germany (20) are the only G8 nations in the top 20

WrathfulDwarf
preposterous

Whoah, it's like China and Cuba are competing with each other.

Bardock42
from the looks of it, population would be very poorly correlated with journalists in prison.

Of course, just saying, 2 is sill 2 too much, especially for a country that prides itself in its freedom of speech and general liberty.

inimalist
Of course, just saying, 2 is sill 2 too much, especially for a country that prides itself in its freedom of speech and general liberty.

you will get no argument from me

ragesRemorse
DAMN, i've been watching the opening ceremonies and it is a stunning display. Maybe to stunning though. The guys beating on drums said enough, We are Chines and we are badass. That would have been enough, short and simple, but then they get into all this artistic expressionism shit. Short and simple is the way to do it.

I think the next time America hosts the Olympics it should be nothing but a dark arena with a few lasers flashing in synchronicity with the Rocky Theme

botankus
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I think the next time America hosts the Olympics it should be nothing but a dark arena with a few lasers flashing in synchronicity with the Rocky Theme

Don't forget Aerosmith. What would any huge event in America be without the perpetual presence of Aerosmith?

chithappens
preposterous

How the hell do you find this stuff?

inimalist
I quite literally have no life

chithappens
*snaps* That explains it smile

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by botankus
Don't forget Aerosmith. What would any huge event in America be without the perpetual presence of Aerosmith?

NICE

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.