What are we?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chik4lit
The short version of this story is that I'm writing a paper for my Subcultures Class on Star Wars fandom. Since fan cultures on on the blurry end of subcultures, I thought I'd let everybody speak their piece on the subject.

If you are dead set against me repeating what you say in my paper, tell me, and I will be happy to oblige.

Sesse
Depends.

As aHuman is a member of primates and primates are mammals...

So are SW-fans geeks whose disposition has been argued for a very long time.

Star wars used to attract same people as rpg's and computers in the 80's. These days, yesterdays underground phenomenon is todays mainstream.

So yes. A subculture it is. But is it meaningful in any way? Hard to say. Ask Yoda you must.

queeq
I don't think so. Excepting the nerdy crowds, whom no one wants to be associated with, SW doesn't imply a clear lifestyle or behaviour (except watching a film).

Ushgarak
Indeed that is my opinion too. There is a subculture within SW fandom, but mostly Star Wars is a mainstream thing.

Head to the vs. arewa; there is your subculture.

exanda kane
Yeah, there's your cult following there.

queeq
laughing out loud

Good one.

exanda kane
I had to shove it in there because for all intensive purposes, it is. No need to argue over such a broad concept as cult though, I just wanted to point out that those antagonisers that argument are now contradicting themselves.

Wind Sister
Originally posted by queeq
I don't think so. Excepting the nerdy crowds, whom no one wants to be associated with, SW doesn't imply a clear lifestyle or behaviour (except watching a film).

Are you kidding?

Begin each morning by polishing the light. . .stick acquired at the local carnivals that pass through, and end it with the "Please Ian Don't Kill Me In My Sleep" prayer.

Subculture. Without a doubt. eek!

queeq
Nerd alert.

Lord Knightfa11
i would consider sci fi fandom to be a subculture more then merely star wars fans. although if star wars is a subculture, i am probably part of alot of others, such as lord of the rings. Star trek is more of a subculture, however, and is the stereotype geeky fanbase.

queeq
Star Trek is indeed the true subculture.

chik4lit
I just turned in my paper, and I wanted to thank everybody who helped me out. My teacher is a big nerd, too, so maybe he'll go easy on me. I'll let y'all know how it goes. sweat

queeq
Do we get a copy?

chik4lit
If you want one. Should I post it?

Sesse
Indeed.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by queeq
Star Trek is indeed the true subculture.

Use to think so till pt came out..then they all came out from the woodworks..lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.