Plastic Man vs. Animal Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zeitgeist
http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/7000/6270/55914-plastic-man_400.jpg

vs.

http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/23000/22707/165587-animal-man_400.jpg

They fight in an empty theme park.

Symmetric Chaos
By typical portrayals: PlasticMan

By theoretical levels: AnimalMan

Zeitgeist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

By theoretical levels: AnimalMan Yeah... my thoughts right now are just that they have a pain in the ass putting each other down.

leonidas
forum animal man wins. dc animal man loses more often than not.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Zeitgeist
Yeah... my thoughts right now are just that they have a pain in the ass putting each other down.

There aren't a lot of counters to smothering.

The Pict
Plastic Man

CaPz
Plastic

Zeitgeist
There aren't a lot of counters to smothering. He can mass duplicate himself when the match starts... or super speed and a fly's perception of time to just get out of the way until he has something more powerful.

tjcoady
Yeah, the fly's perception of time thing that he did back in the Morrison one would be a good trick. Then access a sun-eater or something. Or a chronovore.

But yeah, theoretically Buddy takes this, but in general comics showings Eel would beat him.

Galan007

By theoretical levels: AnimalMan I completely agree. thumb up

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Zeitgeist
He can mass duplicate himself when the match starts... or super speed and a fly's perception of time to just get out of the way until he has something more powerful.

Okay but then we're getting into nothing but powersets. Buddy just doesn't use his powers that way, call it PIS if you have to but there are very few circumstances where he uses his powers the way Morrison envisioned (hell even Morrison didn't write him that way).

It's really superstrength, superspeed, flight and a few wildcard powers thrown in. Most of the time the extra powers he brings to the table wouldn't be enough to take down PlasticMan.

The counters to Plas' abilities are few and far between (just to use common attacks: what doesn't breath or get smashed into the ground by giant fists?), hurting him is an even worse problem. I cannot, off the top of my head, think of any power Buddy has ever manifested that would hurt PlasticMan in a meaningful way.

My point is AnimalMan has one of the most immense powersets in comics but he doesn't get to use it all that often. Even GLs, who have the same problem, consistently demonstrate a few of the lesser known ways of using their powers. On the other hand AnimalMan does so much more rarely.

I'd be willing to give him a win or two on the argument that he'd come up with something in a pinch to but not much more than that.

Zeitgeist
Okay but then we're getting into nothing but powersets. Buddy just doesn't use his powers that way, call it PIS if you have to but there are very few circumstances where he uses his powers the way Morrison envisioned (hell even Morrison didn't write him that way).

It's really superstrength, superspeed, flight and a few wildcard powers thrown in. Most of the time the extra powers he brings to the table wouldn't be enough to take down PlasticMan.

The counters to Plas' abilities are few and far between (just to use common attacks: what doesn't breath or get smashed into the ground by giant fists?), hurting him is an even worse problem. I cannot, off the top of my head, think of any power Buddy has ever manifested that would hurt PlasticMan in a meaningful way.

My point is AnimalMan has one of the most immense powersets in comics but he doesn't get to use it all that often. Even GLs, who have the same problem, consistently demonstrate a few of the lesser known ways of using their powers. On the other hand AnimalMan does so much more rarely.

I'd be willing to give him a win or two on the argument that he'd come up with something in a pinch to but not much more than that. I completely agree, for the most part. I was simply reffering to the apparent challenge to come up with counters to smothering. stick out tongue

Though, I will note that that's not entirely true. Post-Morrison, Animal Man spent half his solo series too afraid to use his powers or with them not functioning properly. And when he COULD use them, he was training to use spider powers, rat powers, shoot paralyzing gunk from his wrists, grabbing water insects to walk on water... etc.

He uses his powers, when he has full access to them, not to shabbily, IMO. Certainly beyond just strength, speed and flight.

Superherovandal
currently he can take powers from creatures such as Sun-Eaters so i'd say he wins. Theoretically he'd have no problem taking martian or kryptonian powers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.