World Recession 2008?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LilyMaree
My teacher earlier was talking about a world recession...
I didn't understand it, so I looked it up and found this :

recession |riˈse sh ən|
noun
1 a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters.

It seems that the US' banks have lost millions, maybe billions of money. I'm not sure about this. The recession is already happening in the US, and Europe is already hit by it as well. If not, Europe probably will get hit soon.

My teacher also said that Asia will get hit soon enough this year.

I need someone to explain it to me laughing out loud I still don't really understand.
Any thoughts?

Admiral Akbar
I think Mr.Bush can explain that to you really well.

LilyMaree
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar

Don't wanna talk to that... thing.

Bardock42
Originally posted by LilyMaree

recession |riˈse sh ən|
noun
1 a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters.

It seems that the US' banks have lost millions, maybe billions of money. I'm not sure about this. The recession is already happening in the US, and Europe is already hit by it as well. If not, Europe probably will get hit soon.

I need someone to explain it to me laughing out loud I still don't really understand.
Any thoughts? Well, the economy goes in cycles and after a recession there's usually a boom again. I am not sure how true it is about a world recession, but the US is certainly in one at the moment. I believe even between economists the causes of this are not alway easily to discern. I wouldn't worry too much though...and if you want shit to change vote libertarian.

Just sayin'.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar

If it's a US recession I can agree....a global recession....shouldn't include others as well?

Deja~vu
The US is doing just terrible. I never thought I'd see the day when people would fight for jobs at MacDonalds. sad

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Deja~vu
The US is doing just terrible. I never thought I'd see the day when people would fight for jobs at MacDonalds. sad

McBackstab

no expression

Deja~vu
Honest to god. People work at a crappy job they hate, because they know how easily they can be replaced and the employers know it.

People aren't paying their rent because landlords know how hard it is to get a new tenant, and they might not pay either.

The crime rate is going up too... sad

chithappens
Honest to god. People work at a crappy job they hate, because they know how easily they can be replaced and the employers know it.

People aren't paying their rent because landlords know how hard it is to get a new tenant, and they might not pay either.

The crime rate is going up too... sad

Those are the sorts of things that should come up during a presidental debate... it'll never happen

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
If it's a US recession I can agree....a global recession....shouldn't include others as well?

Ah yes. World...didn't pay particular attention to that. Fine, then Bush might not be responsible for the recession that is starting outside the U.S, but he sure is the cause for a deep one here in America.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by chithappens
Those are the sorts of things that should come up during a presidental debate... it'll never happen

Ha, yeah, the hands off policy. They don't want to tackle the difficult questions because it could affect their campaign significantly, or maybe because they don't really have a deep opinion about it.

jaden101
Originally posted by LilyMaree

recession |riˈse sh ən|
noun

Any thoughts?

there is several main things which a countries economy is based on...spending in the shops, house prices and industrial output being the main 3

over the last 15 years house prices have been going up and as such people need to borrow more money to pay for them (mortgages from the bank) and so they get into more debt

the banks charge for these loans and it's called interest... and when things are good they keep that rate of interest low

problem is that interest is also low for people saving their money in banks so they get less return on that

now...when a recession starts it effectively means that money isn't worth as much...that is why prices in the shops go up....this is because shops buy stuff at higher prices because industries making the stuff charge higher prices...and down on the chain it goes

house prices generally and banks dont like to loan money to each other...which means they cant loan to people to pay their mortgages

when house prices are falling people tend not to buy houses because their house ends up being worth less than what they paid for it....so less people borrow...less people spend...prices go down...and the bank tries to make the same money so interest rates go up

interest rates go up on one thing they go up on everything...and thus the prices on everything go up

its all linked....and it's all over how much money money is worth

stupid concept really...but thats what it is

recession is basically when the money in your pocket isn't worth as much...meaning it cant buy you as much as it did before because things cost more

the reason it goes global is because all the worlds stock markets are linked

the main reason for this recession is because people are way over their heads in debt and now that interest rates have risen...even though it's only slightly....people dont have as much extra money as they did...their spending goes down...and one of the 3 main stays of the economy breaks

then of course there is the sub prime mortgage fiasco

these are basically dodgy lending to people who's credit rating is shit...people who would otherwise be refused a mortgage because their history shows they dont pay their debts (data is available through credit reference agencies)

they get mortgages from less than reputable companies...default on these loans and thus everything goes to shit because these companies charge higher interest than normal...and when the interest goes up even slightly..the payments the customers have to pay goes up massively and they cant afford it

superr
the problems look global to me,As well as BEAR STEARNS in the U S. There was a run on NORTHERN ROCK bank in the U K . hiswas shored up with tax payers money.I had savings in it which i got out full term but some of the highest rates on the market couldnt tempt me to reinvest.
To the ordinary guy the money markets seem to run on principals that would be idiocy for a small business or personal household budgeting

LilyMaree
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Yea it should include others.
It's like, all the countries are connected, isn't it?

Yea, I've also heard people are fighting to get jobs. Just like in Dick & Jane. mmm

Originally posted by jaden101
there is several main things which a countries economy is based on...spending in the shops, house prices and industrial output being the main 3

over the last 15 years house prices have been going up and as such people need to borrow more money to pay for them (mortgages from the bank) and so they get into more debt

the banks charge for these loans and it's called interest... and when things are good they keep that rate of interest low

problem is that interest is also low for people saving their money in banks so they get less return on that

now...when a recession starts it effectively means that money isn't worth as much...that is why prices in the shops go up....this is because shops buy stuff at higher prices because industries making the stuff charge higher prices...and down on the chain it goes

house prices generally and banks dont like to loan money to each other...which means they cant loan to people to pay their mortgages

when house prices are falling people tend not to buy houses because their house ends up being worth less than what they paid for it....so less people borrow...less people spend...prices go down...and the bank tries to make the same money so interest rates go up

interest rates go up on one thing they go up on everything...and thus the prices on everything go up

its all linked....and it's all over how much money money is worth

stupid concept really...but thats what it is

recession is basically when the money in your pocket isn't worth as much...meaning it cant buy you as much as it did before because things cost more

the reason it goes global is because all the worlds stock markets are linked

the main reason for this recession is because people are way over their heads in debt and now that interest rates have risen...even though it's only slightly....people dont have as much extra money as they did...their spending goes down...and one of the 3 main stays of the economy breaks

then of course there is the sub prime mortgage fiasco

these are basically dodgy lending to people who's credit rating is shit...people who would otherwise be refused a mortgage because their history shows they dont pay their debts (data is available through credit reference agencies)

they get mortgages from less than reputable companies...default on these loans and thus everything goes to shit because these companies charge higher interest than normal...and when the interest goes up even slightly..the payments the customers have to pay goes up massively and they cant afford it

Okay, now that I.. partially understand.

Deja~vu
People are leaving the US in groves if you look at the latest statistics..Soooooooo sad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.