marvel fighting game

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

applelips
hhi im creating a marvel fighting game with i hope a downloadable character feature the characters available to play as initially will be venom carnage iron man war machine ultron black heart flubber wolverine hulk collosus scream omega red sabertooth magneto nimrod x 23 lady death strike toxin spiral juggernaut hybrid deathlok deadpool lizard forearm and ghost rider. with apocalypse and on slaught as boss characters. opinions on this line up. char suggestions. etc. i will post pics of the development as the project progresses

applelips
im working on a revised list planning to remove some of the outdated characters and add in some updated characters in there place. example sabertooth is going to go and be replaced by wild child... hybrid will go among others. silver samari will appear with a new suit design and a replacement cybernetic hand as he lost it to wolverine. apocalypse will now be the only boss ive decided thanos and onslaught would be too powerful mutants to be used against the average class mutants that will appear fighting system would not allow for a believeable portrayal of them. though i dont yet have pics available yet i am in the process of sketching and designing concepts for the game. a complete new list will be posted soon. once again comments or suggestions about the characters gameplay or have some positive encouragement just post here.

peejayd
* wny not include Cyclops? and other X-men characters? also, for a change, include Daredevil and the Fantastic Four... that would be nice... smile

applelips
i was thinking about it the advantage to what i was planning was a downloadable characters system... with the ability to download and fill a certain amount of adable charater slots. a fantasic four character was a consideration but even though i do have characters like wolverine and spiderman i would like to get some no name characters to get away from the whole capcom xmen theme. like i say i have decided to revise the list and i will quite a bit as things go on. the only problem with characters like daredevil and as im starting to think about some of the characters i picked like deadpool is their practical usabilty in a fighting game. as an example special moves for deadpool are going to be next to impossible to implement due to the main ability he has is near immortality... kind of hard to see a real way to use that. cyclops will be on the new list as will reed rihchards. (i thought about using thing but he would just be another behemoth in a list thats already abundant with his type character.) also i kind of want to get a mixture of the different marvel factions(xmen spider man ghost rider fantastic four etc) so keep that in mind when recomending characters. as you can see the first list has an ubundance of spiderman characters which i plan to cut down on quite a bit as alot of them have similar or identical powers. anyhoo the game engine may be something to consider when suggesting characters. this will a 3d style fighter with a combo sys unlike xmen before

applelips
also im looking for location suggestions.

Ordained
how about putting Storm in the mix and are you really making a game?

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by Ordained
how about putting Storm in the mix and are you really making a game?

Probably not since it's coming from a sock.

Ordained
oh. well that's a bummer.

applelips
actually i am... i am skilled in modeling in animation direct x nine and ten engine programming and game development... who knows how far the project will go as i am just a guy with an idea but isnt that were everyone starts? this is a serious project that i have been planning for some time but only recently began concept drawings of. to be honest i am currently posting via cell phone due to the fact that i have recently moved and my computer has yet to arrive at my new place... however my computer is all set with the tools i need as i have had similar projects before and i am quite capable of this one. it does mean unfortunately though that in the mean time i will have little to no way of sharing what has been acomplished. i sounds boring now and kind of crazy but just hang in there and soon enough there will be proof of actual results...

applelips
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Probably not since it's coming from a sock. guess it shouldnt be unexpected someone would be critical... all in time i suppose... cant expect everyone to give constructive feed back... is it too much to respond on the idea that there is a possibility? you could always choose not to post here!

applelips
like i had replied before the game wil feature user character slots a person can use to add downloadable characters to fill. as of now there are no plans for an actual character editor per sey but that could change. one step at a time i suppose. as to directly answer your question storm is a consideration though for now i cant say shell be in the origional line up at this point or not. as much as i would like to add every request there is no way to add them all. i know it may sound silly but i would really like to use aut least some characters uhat are kind of less know but worthy in there own right to try and make the game a little out there and a creation all its own, make it stand apart from the games by capcom before it, make it my own instead of another duplicate. the capcom games are some of my favorite and part of my inspiration for wanting to persue a project like this... only instead i will use them for guide lines to set the bar of quality and like i paid before not duplicate them.

Ordained
Originally posted by Ordained
how about putting Storm in the mix.

applelips
??? k thought that explained it... i cant give a definate answer yet. you have to think about the useability of each character in conjunction with the overall game play. alot of the characters i had originally picked are going to be hard to implement thus the reason im revising the list. with that said maybe a better topic would be locations. all suggestions are still welcome but at this point its hard for me to give a definate yes or no to some questions or suggestions...

peejayd
* i was just thinking if you could give Cyclops other super moves exposing his spatial awareness ability...

* Daredevil can have two movesets:

> he can be 75% agile and quick 25% weaker in his all red suit with two short billy-clubs having almost identical moveset of Spider-man,

> he can be 25% agile and quick 75% stronger in his black and red armor suit with a long staff billy-club having almost identical moveset of Gambit, esp. Cajun Strike with his staff...

> he can have a 1 hit Maximum Spider as a super and Crawler Assault...

* Human Torch can have some moveset same as Iceman, converting Ice Beam into a fire blast, converting Arctic Attack into Super Nova...

* Thing can borrow movesets with Hulk and Juggernaut, it's nice to see Ben Grimm do a Gamma Charge or a Juggernaut Headcrush...

* you can also add Classic Jubilee to the list... and Havok, Thor, Black Panther, Punisher, Quicksilver, Bullseye, Ghost Rider, Beast (can borrow some of Blanka's moveset), Archangel/Angel (can be selected interchangeably), Elektra (can have Psylocke's ninja movesets, not the supers though), Namor, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Quasar, USAgent (can be deviated with Captain America by changing his costume and giving him an energy shield, make him stronger but slower, make Cap weaker but quicker), Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, Mister Sinister (you can make him Cyclops' last or second to the last enemy boss),

* you can add other Spidey versions: Scarlet Spider, Black alien costume, and his new red and orange suit...

* you can add Mystique and Morph to the list as random... or include them as well...

* wow, that's a whole lot of it... hehehe smile

applelips
neat thanx umm im not making a capcom style fighter if you didnt catch that... this will a 3d fighter with 3d environments. so the character movesets will be completely original as will the specials... as for the alternate costumes i have thought about that and g really like that idea. scarlet spider was a thought for spiderman some of the characters i was thinking of redesigning costumes for like silver samuri. not to the point that they are unrecognizable but kind of just so they fit more into the theme. then i would use their orginals as alternates to keep the i cant believe you changed him people from complaining. the combo system will be a combanation design of a opener linker finisher style that games like ki use and a multi button mk style that works as follows an auto doubler or special will start the combo then a two or three button mk style will link the combo to another segment or to a finisher. other style will include using a super as a combo or even using a super as a finisher. the rounds will be a continuous round style were the victor of the first round carries over his first round energy super etc as like in the ki series. basically i really want to make this a very fast paced system have very in your face combos and specials that are easy to implement. thats the one thing i loved about the ki games was that feeling of totally dominating with some crazy combos and the nice flow it all had. though i dont want it to be a one combo ends type thing

applelips
more of a if you really need to the option to really wail on someone is avaible but the combos will be a bit harder to land than in ki so that they arnt the whole focus of the game.

applelips
locations so far: ny downtown, canadian forest. weaponx compound, the savageland, blackbird hanger, sentinal manufacturing facility, syberian waste, everglades, a church, an offshore oil platform, japanese bamboo forest with ancient ruins, the subway, an underwater observatory, an office building inside, an aircraft carrier, and a texas ghost town. all environments will have destroyable objects most will have multi platforms and some will actually tie in together.

applelips
i really like the random idea you had using misteque and morph as the random character select. very nice that is something i will really cosider using thanx. ideas like that are what really make the layout of a good well thought out game

applelips
new character list: magneto, iceman, silver samuri, daredevil, cyclops, wolverine, spiderman, mr. fantastic, hulk, collosus, omega red, spiral, juggernaut, flubber, venom, lady deathstrike, ghost rider, lizard, carnage, thing, ironman, toxin, warmachine, wild child, ultron, human torch, and apocalypse as a boss with onslaught as a hidden boss on the hard difficulty. of course this new list is not set in stone and is subject to change.

peejayd
* nice, please give us some sample scans if you're done... i'm looking forward to it, good luck, man! smile

applelips
um i cant right now... as noted before im posting from my cell phone and cant really up load anything. most all my work is concept drawing until my computer arrives. i recently moved to florida and my computer and stuff are all still in idaho. ive got someone who is sending it to me soon but all i can do until then has to be done on paper ie concept drawings etc. this is fine but it also means that i have no way of showing any pics. so i guess youll just have to stay tuned. sorry

applelips
actually ill have use of a computer this evening and ill upload some pics then so ill be able to show something i dont know if ill be allowed to do anything else though... ill probably have to wait for my computer for ugat stuff

applelips
i ordered the marvel encylopedia for a reference. it doernt have everyone in it but it does have alot of characters in it. nearly 1000 characters with pics of everyone. granted they would have to have a whole set to have every one as there are over 10000 characters in existance hn the marvel universe au the moment. guess it will work for some of the characters and the rest ill have to use marvel database for.

peejayd
* this might help: http://www.marveldirectory.com/

* some things you might consider are the characters' attack damage, which should be parallel to their strength, such as Hulk and Juggernaut... their agility, which makes them quicker to evade some attacks, such as Spider-Man and Daredevil... their skill (fighting ability), which makes them easier to counter-attack, such as Captain America and Wolverine... their energy power also attributed to attack damage, such as Cyclops and Ironman... durability/invulnerability/armor works on how each character can take damage, like Hulk and Rogue and Ironman/Magneto/Doctor Doom... smile

peejayd
Originally posted by applelips
neat thanx umm im not making a capcom style fighter if you didnt catch that... this will a 3d fighter with 3d environments. so the character movesets will be completely original as will the specials...

* more like Tekken, is that right? if so, Marvel fans would be amazed to see that especially if the art and graphics are really nice and cool...

* anyway, are you also interested in doing the same game, on DC characters too? that would be great to see... smile

applelips
when i get the engine up and running and the first game finished i guess it wouldnt be a bad idea... i could use the same engine redisign some aspects of it and change the characters. once the engine is complete it wouldnt be hard to implement new data into it. more than likely instead i would like to a marvel vs dc game instead. but for now i think ill just stick to one project. have you been to en.marveldatabase.com its pretty big i think they have nearly 20000 articles right now on everything from characters to vehicles to teams locations weapons etc. thanx for the additional reasource though ill check it out.

peejayd
* you can have additional info on http://www.wikipedia.org/

* you have all the time in the world... go work on that nice game, man... you can do DC characters next, and DC versus Marvel on third... smile

applelips
i missed my oppertunity anywhoo. ill just have to wait till my computer arrives. im going nuts with out it. btw en.marveldatabase.com is part of the wikipedia network as is en.dcdatabase.com there the shit when it comes to this stuff. each has nearly 12000 articles on both universes. check them out the come in handy on the versus forums.

applelips
one thing that i had considered that i have gone back and forth about was gore. at first i thought that being a kind of epic theme of super powered beings i would want to focus on that aspect of the game. of course my biggest issue with gore is that i dont want to make another mortal kombat... but on the other hand the comics themselves have there fair share of it and to be true to that theme i figured some would be ok as long as it remained true to the comics as in not to the point that every attack spilled blood but some did to a realistic degree. any thoughts on this?

Captain REX
How are you designing this game without a computer?

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by Captain REX
How are you designing this game without a computer?

On paper...

applelips
im doing concept drawings and program layout charts right now getting a handle on things i need to accomplish when my computer does get here.

peejayd
Originally posted by applelips
one thing that i had considered that i have gone back and forth about was gore. at first i thought that being a kind of epic theme of super powered beings i would want to focus on that aspect of the game. of course my biggest issue with gore is that i dont want to make another mortal kombat... but on the other hand the comics themselves have there fair share of it and to be true to that theme i figured some would be ok as long as it remained true to the comics as in not to the point that every attack spilled blood but some did to a realistic degree. any thoughts on this?

* just like some fighting games, you can have an option to turn on/off the blood...

* another thing i just thought of... what if you can make make a cartoonish chibi versions of that game, just like Street Fighter's Gem Fighters? smile

applelips
waaaa!!!!

applelips
did some hulk, lady deathstrike, and carnage sketches today... i think they turned out ok ill post them when i can.. not much i can do tonight though

applelips
these sketches to be post ed are for the general purpose of getting used to drawing them. starting soon ill start some actual profile drawings of characters in a fully erect posture as for the basis of each model. ive found that this is the easiest way to model them due to uv mapping and skin stretch. the pictures will give me also an idea of the skin edges and were to run my seams. these drawings will also show bone layouts as to get an idea of the vertex groups and an insight into what i might run into when rigging each characters armature as the armatures will be elaborate enough to all ow for things like breathing lung movement. each character will have the most detail my skill will allow.things like wolverines claws being able to extend and contract and carnages symbiote having transformations at random like in the comics(in the form of his little trailing symbiote strands.) the good thing about the in game models is that they wont actualy have to use the armatures as the finished models will actually just be baked animated keyframes. the animations will be aided by the use of tweening in game. tweening is the use of functions to calculate in between frames to create more smooth animation between unsimilar animation sequences. of the characters i have picked so far i would appreciate any character portrait submissions you would like to post for use in things like character select screen an title screen art as i want to use some authentic marvel artwork for these items.

applelips
when offering these images remember to post the artists name along with it so i can list it in the credits and give credit to work that isnt mine. i have some art that i wottld like to use for some chararters already: a boris pic of carnage, a guy222 pic of ghost rider, a pic of apoclypse that the artists name escapes me at the moment, as well as others. bv dont be afraid to post images of these characters as there might be some that i like better.

applelips
yippieee!! my computer ships tomorow. so it should be here in a week. soon ill be able to upload renders and other things of that nature. more coming soon!!

ricochet_rita
k because of mistakes on my part ive had to restart this thread. the new thread is named the same only capitalized... those of you who were following the thread or who are interested in sharing ideas or comments it wil be continued on that thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.